How should I write this?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Mnotia, May 16, 2018.

?

Do you get what this degen's saying?

1. Yeah, it's kinda like a writers block but for a certain situation.

27.3%
  2. No, I don't really write or get the situation.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. How about you just write your own damn situation you degen.

54.5%
  4. Imma just lurk and wait for admin to delete this post cause its random af.

36.4%
  5. Logoff, you degenerate.

27.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Mnotia

Mnotia The Trash Man

Reading List:
    Link
    I was writing for T.O.A.G when I had ran out of ideas on how to write a time skip of the normal MC going shopping at a grocery store after "the incident".

Like how should I write how someones going to the store?!

That would be so uninteresting like really!!!

I wanted the chapter to be filled with a recap of what happened after "the incident" and how he's now living out his life while being scorned by the towns people. I really can't imagine it because I've never really read or seen a situation like it.

It would help if some of the guys would link a chapter or a short story that has this type of situation or you could write your own version of this situation so I can steal it and finally upload chapter 3.

And for the people that don't really get it, if I don't upload chapter 3 I can't upload the other 7 chapters.

theres 2 votes

SONG POST:

2. Jigoku Shounen

Jigoku Shounen An Envoy From Hell

Reading List:
    Link
    So....."the incident"? There are joke "incidents" and serious "incidents", and the writing style for each of them is different depending on what "the incident" is.

3. Mnotia

Mnotia The Trash Man

Reading List:
    Link
    That has literally made the whites of my eyes show.

4. Green Apple

Green Apple Actually I'm secretly an orange.

Reading List:
    Link
    erhm. Use flashbacks? To describe the past events?

5. Jigoku Shounen

Jigoku Shounen An Envoy From Hell

Reading List:
    Link
    Well, that's when you wanted to write a complex or good plot, or you think you can. If not, then just stick everything with a dorky + funny style for now, then later on try to make a "serious" version during the right moment.
    That's how you often see and read from anime and manga.

6. Goblin Sleuth

Goblin Sleuth Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Well from what little I know of writing a story, you're not really writing about him going grocery shopping, grocery shopping is just what he is doing when something else happens. In this case showing the reader how the township has turned against him, and how it is effecting his daily life.

Sorry I don't think what I said was all that helpful, let me try again. When writing everything you put in your story needs to serve it in some away. Either to develop the plot, develop characters, share information, etc. If something can be taken out, then it is filler, still a little bit of filler is okay, because it makes the story feel more realistic. Real life is filled with those awkward pointless moments, so a few moments of nonsense in a story are fine, just don't go overboard.

When writing the grocery shopping scene focus on what in this scene is important to the story, what new information is being revealed to the reader, how does it develop the plot. Once you have the main points down then you can add in the little bits of filler in between, like the character wondering if he should get 2% or whole milk, etc.

Mnotia likes this.
  7. Kurotsubaki

Kurotsubaki Reincarnation of the Seven Deadly Sins

Reading List:
    Link
    Arifureta after story should be able to help

MrLLama likes this.
  8. Teadragon

Teadragon Book Wyrm

Reading List:
    Link
    Grocery shopping after a major event is usually used to show how others in the town now react to the MC. So rather than being about the groceries, it is about the unusual people interactions while doing the usual shopping.

9. Waffle

Waffle Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    A bit confusing because of your wording, “how to write a timeskip of a person going to the shops” but when it comes to writing boring events, those tend to be the most interesting. The key to it is just bringing in character voice.

When your character sees something at the store, or greets another person, or does some other equally mundane action, integrate an emotional response and some thoughts of the character. In the eyes of a paranoid criminal, a casual wave is actually a secret signal notifying the police to start their assault. In the eyes of a war veteran, the wave brings back memories of the past, and though I don’t recommend inserting a flashback as a result of it (due to its cliche nature), it could instead be described as a ‘commanding wave’, having the same effect whilst increasing your depth of register. In the eyes of a normal person however, a wave is a wave, and if your character sees himself mature or change, you can integrate a repeat of the ‘event of the store’ but have him clearly react differently, displaying this change.

You should be capable of making a mundane event interesting based purely on the character’s internal thoughts, and if you can’t, that means your character isn’t well developed enough. Of course, that said, it’s not always the best option to place in a mundane event with interesting internalisation, especially if the character has already been established beforehand, as the main purpose of this weaving of the mundane into literature is to teach the readers something that isn’t known to the readers before. So think about whether or not your character ‘needs’ this scene.

Mnotia likes this.
  10. Parpaing

Parpaing Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Easy, either you take inspiration from an author, or you can simply do your summary of what happened so far while writing "While driving towards the convenience store" and skip to him having gotten his groceries, saying, for example "the bags still lying on the ground". You don't have to go into detail, half a sentence is enough.

11. rav1980

rav1980 Random Lurker

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm thinking "The Scarlet Letter" with people whispering, pointing and ridiculing. The MC inner dialouging and lamenting their fate maybe. A confrontation of some kind for the drama and plot progression.

12. RTS

RTS ☀┩ îИϑîℂ✞υƧ ɛӼքʊɢռǟȶօʀ┡☀

Reading List:
    Link
    Use a paragraph separator. It's something like this:
    He is on his way to the grocery store and etc...

┉┉┉┉┉┉┉┉ ←Place this symbol in the middle.

And he is back home, doing his laundry.

13. Grandpa_World

Grandpa_World Manly Man-Mob Character C-Lovely Hubby of Alexcia

Reading List:
    Link
    He has PDSD when he sees the red apples and falls onto the flower. After that he falls unconcious. In his dream he lives through a flashback
    Ah no those apples are red and round like the t*** of the woman from that "incident". I had to watch the all night getting whipped bound to the chair.

14. ludagad

ludagad Addicted to escapist novels

Reading List:
    Link
    Well I like to visualize everything, so I usually have two questions: If the book/novel was a movie, would I go see it? And: If this novel scene was a movie scene, would I be bored of it? (Trust me, I'm my worst critic. Never happy.)

You can go the cliche way or try to think of something more intriguing. And more than anything, try to imagine how the scene would look like and if you'll think it's interesting to watch. But if you don't really care about the story and just want to push it out, then just write the grocery scene like how any other novel has done it. As a reader, I'd feel a bit bored of that particular chapter tho. Does it have to be groceries? Are the people in his town really so bored as to scorn him everywhere he goes? If what he did was so heinous that they can't stand him, they can try to pressure him to leave, refuse to sell him anything, refuse to rent him a house, vandalize his house. Why would they just sit around and gossip about him. If what he did is just mere gossip fodder, then at least half the people in this town would be type who don't gossip and have a life. I dunno, just put some more thought into it and avoid the lazy road.

Mnotia likes this.