Discussion Do the ends justify the means?

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by wonderer, May 18, 2018.

?

Is this too objective and therefore pointless?

1. Yes

17 vote(s)
    17.9%
  2. No

40 vote(s)
    42.1%
  3. Yes to the poll and the thread

38 vote(s)
    40.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wonderer

wonderer Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Some stories have crappy world building and character introductions. the setup of the scenarios forming the start of the story are illogical, but after all the pieces are set, the resulting journey is something to behold.

Others with deep and immersive worlds, and interesting character and plausible situations where they intract. But half way it falls flat.

So the question is whether the journey of the characters, is more important than how they are introduced and set up?

Like some reviews for certain novels have, you have to read XXX number of chapters until it gets good. and others Stop at XX cause the author doesn't know what to do after that and its all just a mess.

My opinion: I'm bored and will read anything to pass the time.

2. Suijin

Suijin Blood God [Medic]

Reading List:
    Link
    never

3. replay

replay ★Milk and Honey smelling Merchant★

Reading List:
    Link
    some like to eat chicken eggs, some don't,

some eat pork, while some others just eat veggies. . .

all in all. . .
    if a novel reaches xxxx chapters . . . then expect that there ton of fillers and repetitive. . .

and alot of those titles will be crappy. . . .

4. Valyrian6

Valyrian6 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Well, depends how the author introduces your character? The more creative the introduction, the better. Obviously, you could go from a creative world building to a PMG style of "I need to slam my head into tea cups and kill myself"

Ignus likes this.
  5. prongsjiisan

prongsjiisan Apostle of Violence

Reading List:
    Link
    Because the author is troll

6. naghi32

naghi32 The Loner

Reading List:
    Link
    From my point of view everything is subjective, if you believe it to be so, then it is so, regardless of what others believe.
    However that does not mean that what you believe to be true, also applies to others, we all push our own beliefs on to others while also having other peoples beliefs pushed on to ours, in short it`s an amalgamation of sh!t ^_^

7. gangsar1998

gangsar1998 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    yes if you want to become someone like kiritsugu

ChickenBakuba, Reyrey and flag9801 like this.
  8. akki

akki [Ani's C☕ffee-mate #3] [Shady Merchant]

Reading List:
    Link
    I like the journey. An introduction is just that. You’re given a piece of information and that’s it. The journey is the process of that information changing and becoming something more. Of course that is if the writer isn’t a shitty time waster who fills the journey with so much stupid stuff~

Senros and Deleted member 32451 like this.
  9. Silverasterisk

Silverasterisk [Wallflower] [Drive by poster]

Reading List:
    Link
    History forgets those that pass but the consequences can last much longer. If you live in the time of means, stop them with all your might or suffer in silence. Those that live after the end get to enjoy the fruit and can have much better lives due to others being sacrificed. It's a matter of perspective and distance.

Deleted member 32451 likes this.
  10. mars_mellows

mars_mellows Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    imo if you can't do the set up right I won't have much hope for the rest of it

Ignus likes this.
  11. serenita

serenita Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    no, never!

12. LOTRfreak101

LOTRfreak101 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    A lot of stories are really good up to a certain point because the author has a certain goal in mind and they know how to reach the goal. sometimes those stories fall off because the author has either reached the goal and in now making stuff up or was just making things up to begin with. these lead to a more chaotic feeling to stories that can make it seem more rushed or less detailed than it could be. the most important thing in whether the end justify the means for a novel is what is the goal of the novel. if it is merely the author trying to write pages to get paid then the quality may not be that great so long as the author gets the steady income they desire as they may have turned to cookie cutter problems and solutions. on the flip side some authors write in order to create a world to invite readers to and these tend to be more interesting novels even when they may not have any direct goal in mind.
    tl;dr depends on whether an author has a goal or direction for the story and the ability to get it there cohesively.

13. Simon

Simon [The Pure One's Chief Steward][Demon Beast]

Reading List:
    Link
    The setup of the journey is just as important as the journey itself. If reason is faulty to begin with then the driving forces can seem lacking.

Deleted member 32451 likes this.
  14. Miserys_End

Miserys_End 「Lv1 Pretend Person」I'm the preson i pretend to be

Reading List:
    Link
    Honestly the truely illogical plot lines kill more stories for me then anything else. I would much rather read a story that dips into the mundain then for either of the protagonists or antagonists suddenly pull asinine plot devices out of their ass just because the author wrote a few shitty chapters and didnt know how to patch their plotholes.

You can always fix a mundain plotline with any number of cliched hackneyed but tried and true plot devices. But it's hard to get over the MC taking totally random, illogical, and clearly forced actions just because the plot took a turn into a direction they didn't expect.

15. Satyryakfly

Satyryakfly Relic

Reading List:
    Link
    Depends on the Ends, you can do pretty much anything for the greater good.

But to answer the question, some of the best stories have World building, without world building everything is going to be samey, world building is one of the most important parts of writing that there is, however it shouldn't be block text at the beginning, and neither should it be patchy and inconsistent, for good examples Look at anything by Tolkien
    Edit: world building has equal importance to story, as good world building allows for immersive storytelling

16. Password

Password [The Forgotten One][Well-Known Password]

Reading List:
    Link
    UTILITARIANISM IS THE NAME, THE END JUSTIFYING THE MEANS IS THE GAME

bbctheory84 likes this.
  17. Greedyspree

Greedyspree 『Exile within the back room』

Reading List:
    Link
    Pacing is the hardest part of story writing in my experience. Between introducing your characters, while making them unique enough, creating situations, without making them ridiculous, its a headache. Information is like many things in life, having to much is as bad as having to little. If you info dump majorly at one time, the reader gets tired or bored, or in the case of web novels, we just skim or skip it. But if you dont give enough info you end up becoming a story of confusion. One has to find the right balance, personally i find its best to have about 20% world building any more feels like its taking away from the story. To be honest, most readers skip the major details and later on dont even picture much of the story, they just read it, and get past it. So enough to give a rough idea, but not to much as its the only idea.

18. Beer_Kitty

Beer_Kitty Just a very very drunk kitty that likes beer

Reading List:
    Link
    If its too crappy, then i drop.

Well, i like the journey more than the crappy introduction.

19. scribbledoutname

scribbledoutname Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    No

No one will get to the end without good enough means

That said, a slow start can be forgiven but there is a limit

20. SquirFail

SquirFail The One Who Forgets, Dreamer, Observer

Reading List:
    Link
    please let kiritsugu rest, i don't want anyone to live a life like he did