Question Are the Tang sect/clan real people?

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by savvyblue, May 19, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. savvyblue

savvyblue Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    After reading several Chinese novels I've noticed that oftentimes people who are skilled with hidden weapons/poison/assassination are from the Tang sect or are surnamed Tang (Douluo Dalu has the Tang sect, Poison Genius Consort had the Tang clan, even the MMO Age of Wushu has the Tangmen) and I just want to know if they are based off of an actual Tang clan. Even their most well known weapon is the same, the Storm Pear Blossom Needles (or some variation of that translation). Where is the origin of this???

lillipop96 likes this.
  2. pirateking36

pirateking36 [[-Worst King-]]

Reading List:
    Link
  3. Saint

Saint 圣人

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't know if they're based on a real-life clan, but it's not unusual to see the Tang Clan / Sect mentioned in classic Wuxia novels.

It's the same way that Shaolin, Wudang, Emei, Kunlun, the Beggar Sect (etc etc) are all frequently seen in various Wuxia novels.

The Tang Clan is usually said to reside in Sichuan and to be skilled in the use of hidden weapons and poison.
    You can probably find a few threads about them on SPCNET if you go looking. Here's one example: http://www.spcnet.tv/forums/showthread.php/14231-Sichuan-Tang-四川唐-clan

(And yes, before you ask, Douluo Dalu and its sequels reference this same Tang Clan. The original premise of Douluo Dalu is that an expert of the Tang Clan in a Wuxia world dies and is reincarnated in a Xuanhuan cultivation world with all his skills and knowledge)

Hahhaa and lillipop96 like this.
  4. lillipop96

lillipop96 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Wow. This helps as I am one of the wandering readers. Thanks much!

5. RenarDusud1

RenarDusud1 Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Tang Sect (唐门) first appeared in Bai Yu's (白羽) works. Bai Yu was a Wuxia novelist in the early 20th century. After that other novelists like Gu Long and Wen Rui An used the concept as well. It's said that Bai Yu made reference to a woman called Tang Sister (唐大嫂) in an old book that recorded the martial artists in late Qing period (the book's name is 武术汇综, A Sorted Collection of Martial Arts). Tang Sister was referred to as an example of poisoned pellets users. Bai Yu extended the name to a sect that is famous in Sichuan, skilled in poison and hidden weapons, cruel to enemies and quite patriotic in terms of fighting foreign invaders.

Last edited: May 19, 2018
  6. Anon2.0

Anon2.0 [God of Ice][Faaldara's ][FrostFire Head][Dia]

Reading List:
    Link
    I thought all the Tang such and such had to do with the Tang Dynasty in China... Considering it was apparently quite a prosperous era and whatnot... I think. History isn't my strong suit. :blob_grin:

7. Seraphic

Seraphic Uncomfortably close

Reading List:
    Link
    checkm8 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.