Asking for Tips. (novice author)

Discussion in 'Author Discussions' started by janoi, May 22, 2018.

1. Deleted member 79325

Deleted member 79325 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    A good idea. Always read the terms first. Make sure you understand them.

2. janoi

janoi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I understand that the work I upload is my own content but if you read the term. They are using some confusing term in there and knowing so little about 'law' language, it doesn't feel right to go there anymore together with how they have fishy past with some translators, it's better that I back out instead of going, hoping for the best.

Slayerwolfx2 likes this.
  3. Slayerwolfx2

Slayerwolfx2 [Immortal Forever]

Reading List:
    Link
    janoi likes this.
  4. AeonicI

AeonicI Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Good for you. You deserve a medal for that.

As for me, I’m just stating my opinion. *shrugs*:blobparty:

5. Slayerwolfx2

Slayerwolfx2 [Immortal Forever]

Reading List:
    Link
    Heh, everyone has their own opinion on the things.

I know for a fact I'm not one to tell someone what to do or not.

Hmm... maybe I was even bragging for a bit, so please excuse that.

6. gggo

gggo Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I recommend doing a character study, which describes the character's appearance, demeanor, motivation, goal, basically like a swot analysis. if you're familiar with tabletop role-playing games, this is like how you introduce your story to the DM.
    from there you can build a series of story arcs that influence the character's development, like if you put there their fears, you can write a story arc where the character overcomes it and so on. you can also use a plot framework like the hero's journey. I've tried working on an entire plot outline, and I gave up on it because it's too hard to stick too a long term goal/structure, that's why I recommend writing in story arcs based on a character study. That way, you can focus on the story and pacing. As you go along, you can add additional characters, and insert them in the chapters you made for the previous character. Don't worry about rewriting your chapters, it's only natural. It also adds quality as you can also edit and improve the narration/script in your written chapters. Overall, this is more manageable. Also don't be afraid to retcon stuff, but be sure to revise properly and cleanup after you edit out things.

janoi likes this.
  7. RabiezMonkey

RabiezMonkey Member

Reading List:
    Link
    okay, I'll try to share my friend's experience in this field. He is a profesional editor and translator for almost 10 years.
    He said, first, people love to follow the trend. so if your novels is anti-mainstream, more likely they wont look at it seriously.

second, your writting skills. how you expand your main idea into sentence, then paragraph, and then chapter. Also the way you build your story's foundation. about the place, characters, and etc. He said, if every scene you write able to create a vivid picture in your readers mind, the more the impact.

third, write your sentences efficiently. Make it easier to understand. you can use some idioms or whatever but pleasseee... readers already have too much things inside their mind, dont make their brain blow up because of overloading...

Fourth, grammar, grammar, anndd grammar. This is important, check your grammar.

Last, all about promotion. the more creative, the better. e.g. if you have a youtube account, you can make a short trailer or whatever. edit here, edit there, using computer making 2d or 3d , it will be huge benefit. who knows if people from hollywood accidentally click your video and watch it. when they learn that it is your book, maybe they want to make it into movie? that will be good, yaa? ooorrr the most easy one, post your story in more writing pltform, and forum, or you can make your personal blog. that's it.

oh yeah n.b. this is for me personally, you should know your readers first before you decide to write something. Who is your trget?
    also check the platfrm you choose. is it new? ask yourself if it really a good place to publish your story there...
    then, not only knowing your trget, your writing platform, you should know yourself too. Dont make a mistake here. if you dont have enough experience in scheming, dont write something like "inner palace scheming" plot.

research everything, about the background, characters, and etc. if you want to write about a surgeon, then read more about it. youtube can be one of usefull source.

that's from me

that's why i stop writing there. unless you have 1M +++ readers who actively suporting you with their power stones, they wont pay.

who do you think that pay those authors? the readers ofc....!! they buy spirit stones using paypal and give you balloons or use those spirit stones to unlock the chapter. that's our poor author's salary came from...

i suggest that you should be careful. some authors there have problems about that

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 7, 2019
    thepope likes this.
  8. joey183

joey183 The Mysterious Entity

Reading List:
    Link
    Okay, here's a feedback. The title sounds a bit incorrect to me. Maybe you should change the 'for' to 'from' so that it become like this;
    'What do you want from me, I'm just a GOD!'

9. thepope

thepope Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I would not ask about the reader as target but what is it. I do not know if you know Franz Kafka but Kafka's works were mostly published after his death and against his testamentary disposition by Max Brod (He wanted it to be burned in his last will), a close friend and confidant whom Kafka had appointed as estate administrator. Kafka's works are counted as the canon of world literature.

But you have a point if someone is on writing and wants to earn money as "fast" if possible.
    Or to reach wide public, he should give himself goals or restrictions on what he wants to write about.

But if he just is on a wrong platform and want more readers only for more motivation and all the money making hinders the readers to start new stories, when you pay money in some form you consider whether to start a new story with a few readers and chapters.Then he only needs a platform with many users without much financial incentive.

RabiezMonkey likes this.