tips for writing my own novel

Discussion in 'Author Discussions' started by MarxDarkBear, May 23, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MarxDarkBear

MarxDarkBear The Great Man

Reading List:
    Link
    Heyo guys, I have finally decided to start writing my own novel. The idea and story have been lingering in my mind for a few years now and I only decided now to put it into words.

So I wanted to ask you guys if there are any tips for a beginner like. Like how to describe something, how to give characters emotion and make them somewhat feel alive, etc. Any tip no matter how small will be helpfull.

Thanks in advance.

2. m7vpc

m7vpc Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
  3. EricBannen

EricBannen √[To Read or Not to Read]

Reading List:
    Link
    I also intend to be an author in the future... So, here are few things that I would suggest:
    1. Read books that are classics of literature but still have a great story such as:
    Lord of the Rings series
    The man in the iron mask
    The picture of Dorian grey
    The autobiography of a yogi
    2. Learn a bit of English grammar necessary for third person perspective
    3. Chart out your story with the characters before writing the novel. This will give more depth to characters.
    4. Make sure you have an idea that is unique only to you.
    5. Start with short stories and see how your writing can improve

Wannabe-shutin likes this.
  4. Ai chan

Ai chan Queen of Yuri, Devourer of Traps, Thrusted Witch

Reading List:
    Link
    Tips?

1) Just write. You won't go anywhere if you worry too much about what you're writing.
    2) Structure your story, as in make a clear distinction of where the introduction, the rising action, the climax, the falling action and the conclusion are. If you go without these, you run the risk of either never finishing your work, making a boring or badly paced story, or simply making a story that is too long and repetitive.
    3) Watch for common grammatical errors. Of course, you can't be expected to catch everything, so make this secondary. The most important thing is to write.
    4) While it's fine to simply copy what you read, for example, if you've been reading shianshia and you want to write like that, you should try to at least make your own story instead of copy pasting the flaws of what you've been reading. Just remember that people will judge you for what you write.
    5) Try to read stories other than what you mainly read. You will soon notice stuff that is lacking in what you commonly read and you will also find stuff that you find will work well with what you're writing.

5. Slayerwolfx2

Slayerwolfx2 [Immortal Forever]

Reading List:
    Link
    Well, I could really write a lengthy message, but I'd rather give you some helpful links than me missing some stuff.

Well, just be careful about traps in the beginning... common traps that most new authors fall into.

And

All from the same person, but I feel like her videos are really well done and helpful ^^

At the same time I want to add that reading more novels will improve your writing skills. Well written novels that is.

Don't just let yourself be absorbed into their magic, but also see how they managed to create this magic.

Time and practice will tell~

6. Arcadia Blade

Arcadia Blade ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ You can do it!!

Reading List:
    Link
    If aiming for professionalism, try reading some famous books and implement their style in writing a story. For just making your imagination into words, forego grammar since it would slow your pace and imagination to write a good storyline and focus more on the development.

Outlining your story first since it would help smooth your development of the plot. As for character interactions, its fine if your characters aren't real or just fictional since experience with interacting with people can help build up their dialogue smoothly. For their expressions, how about using google for the explaination to expressions and understand how they would look?

Finally, a good writer doesn't need to be good at everything. A good writer must always have fun writing what he/she likes the most and put it into words.

7. TooLazyToThink

TooLazyToThink Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Uniqueness and good introduction. The introduction is the part of the novel which will grab the reader's attention and interest.

8. Mnotia

Mnotia The Trash Man

Reading List:
    Link
    Go read some fun stuff from RRL so you can get some ideas or just go watch some pop team epic

9. CandyCake

CandyCake Member

Reading List:
    Link
    First ask yourself what kind of novel you want to write. Is it fantasy, mystery, etc...

Then make a vision what direction you want to tell your story. For example, what setting is your story set in: dream world, stone age then next to characters, personalitys, etc...

If you story was rejected, try another platform.

I also read novels and wanted to be an author, so I submitted my work at royalroaddl, but was rejected without a reason. All they said was, that they had every right to reject a novel and that please do not upload on their site again. I probably did not tick the fanfiction, but my story was original or due to grammar errors. Well, I don't know, since they didn't give an explanation.

So I went to another platform and submitted my work and I was surprised to get comments like original good novel and that they wanted me to upload more chapters and they really like the novel and I was able to beat other novels in the ranking system.

I also don't know how to express a persons emotions, etc.. but I just went and try to do it in my own writing style.

No one can tell you how to write your story. Finding out on your own is what makes your story unique and fun and interesting for yourself. You should write a novel that you like and not for others sake.

But with more people that like your work. There can be pressure to further obtain their expectations. For example, you might write a chapter that can either lose or gain supporters.

Believe in your own story and writing style.

10. AerynW

AerynW Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Outline
    Research
    Revise Outline
    Revise outline x amount of times until you feel satisfied.
    1 Draft
    2nd Draft
    3rd Draft
    Nth Draft
    Basically repeat till cry until you feel satisfied.

11. Femme Fatale

Femme Fatale | Sublime Goddess Of Chance |

Reading List:
    Link
    Enjoy the experience of putting your ideas down on paper. It's so easy to get discouraged on a bad day, so be your own cheerleader. :blob_pompom::blob_pompom::blob_pompom:

12. yywee

yywee Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Go back and re-read regularly what you have written. Don't fear to delete stuff and rewrite it again and again.

13. Westeller

Westeller Smokin' Sexy Style!! Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Please check the date before posting in a thread.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.