Private Notes/Tags for Reading List

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Tony, May 29, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tony

Tony Well-Known Member Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    That function hasn't changed. It still works. I just tested it again to make sure. I'm assuming you're talking about clicking the chapters in the chapter listing and your reading list being auto updated?

As for disabling the feature, you can disable it by going to your Reading List -> Global Settings (Top right) -> "Disable Reading List Notes" -> Save

You can't change the icon though.

Yup! Reading List -> Global Settings (Top right) -> "Disable Reading List Notes" -> Save

Nom de Plume and AliceShiki like this.
  2. phrasefable

phrasefable Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Speaking of inconvenience on smartphones, this update has made each reading list entry split over three lines on firefox on android. Makes it way longer and harder to read.

( ugh.. not enough posts for images/links: image.ibb.co slash mpmrJJ slash unnamed2.png )

As you can see it happens even with the notes icon turned off. Works fine on android chrome for now though. yay for browser specific layout issues ...

Thanks for the cool new feature though!

Nom de Plume likes this.
  3. Femme Fatale

Femme Fatale | Sublime Goddess Of Chance |

Reading List:
    Link
    This is an awesome new feature, thanks Tony. :)

4. Lushwf

Lushwf Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Please return the ability to use the old icon system, I don't appreciate having this decided for me when it was working fine the way it was. Its an unnecessary extra layer of interaction where before a quick glance was enough to see if something was updated. Now it's not much different from monochrome with the blue/grey on blue/grey :p

5. MangoGuy

MangoGuy Rambling Mango

Reading List:
    Link
    You can disable it.

@Tony
    On another note, if I have written a note and saved it, the icon changes. If I refresh the page, the icon is the old one. I thus, in the future, won't know if I ever wrote a note for a series.

6. Lone

Lone Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    This is pretty annoying. Now I have to click twice to say that I've read the most recent chapter instead of just once.

7. Rapture

Rapture Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    What happened to the icon that I could click that would show that I read the latest update. Now I have to go into each individual series page and click on the most recent chapter to update my reading list. It's a serious pain in the ass. It was far better in the previous version. Can't we have a legacy option or something? I don't like this new update at all.

Almost everything I read is on Wuxia World. It might be time to migrate to their new system.

Last edited: May 29, 2018
  8. Lushwf

Lushwf Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I've already disabled the notes feature but I'm left with three blue gray lines on a darker blue gray background, where before it was a clearly visible and easily discernible yellowish-orange icon. That is what I'm referring to. More interaction means more slow down on a smartphone device as well, tiny icons result in hitting what you dont intend to more often, again it isn't appreciated. Especially for us using low brightness settings in dark environments it's more of a glaring issue, no pun intended.

MangoGuy and anonnovelupdates like this.
  9. Magnic

Magnic Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Nope, still crap new icon which add another unneeded step. I want it BACK to the way it was BEFORE, not remove only 1 "new" feature (which isn't a feature, it's a bug, you know which chapters you haven't read by looking TO THE LEFT aka "My Status"). I want it back to the convenient way.

10. anonnovelupdates

anonnovelupdates Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I appreciate the attempt to keep the site fresh, but part of this change seems like a step backward for usability.

The notes feature is actually pretty unobtrusive and can be ignored by anyone who isn't planning to use it.

However, the change to how the latest chapters are displayed is much more intrusive.

Giving it a chance, I clicked the waffle but it only shows a preview of 4 chapters max, even if there are more unread chapters (e.g. 7 chapters). I don't see a value-add there since I will be clicking through to the chapter anyway to open the chapters.

I implore you to provide a means to regain the former functionality to with a visually distinct icon to determine whether there are unread chapters, and a distinct button to "mark all as read", like before.

Last edited: May 29, 2018
    Kvothe Kingkiller and Rapture like this.
  11. DMR

DMR Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    No, the problem is that right after I click it, while it auto updates, it doesn't automatically go to the site. It just updates and then I have to go and click the link all over again.

So, it's extra work and not as simple as before. I mean, sure, the new feature seems cool, but it makes the old stuff harder to use and makes the site more difficult to work with over all.

Especially for mobile.

anonnovelupdates likes this.
  12. Atros

Atros Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The little note icon looks similar enough to the broken image icon that I assumed the site was bjorked most of the day. Silliness.

Would it be possible to move the up-to-date on latest chapter button back to the main screen? Kindof a net loss with this feature change since now a button I have to push every time is hidden behind a mini-popup to make room for a feature i have no use for...

Bajnor, Authn, MangoGuy and 1 other person like this.
  13. SaltatorMortis

SaltatorMortis Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Love this redesign
    Suggestion can we have the option that we project the 'show me new chapter' and/or the Notes to the main page?
    another Suggestion can we open a new Tab if we Middlemouseklick the icon
    third suggestion can we search 'gobally' inside our readinglist?

toyyoda and Princess Renesmee like this.
  14. udin-san

udin-san Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    the notes part might be a bit useful to me since I like to skip some filler chapters or side story. Now I can take notes which chapter I skipped if I ever wanted to visit it back.

Well, I need to use for a while first to find out if it's really useful. Thanks for the update!

15. Shio

Shio Moderator Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It's an awesome update
    Hope more people will use nu

16. Tony

Tony Well-Known Member Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It should be fixed. Can you check again? I don't have an android phone so I can't test it out. I've tried firefox on iOS and I don't see the same problem.

It'll go back to how it was if you disable the reading list notes feature.

ummm it's always been only 4 chapters max. Always lol

If you disable the notes feature, it'll go back to how it was.

I'm still not getting the same problem. Can you try again? I restored to how it was if you disabled reading list notes.

17. Princess Renesmee

Princess Renesmee Cry baby

Reading List:
    Link
    I agree with you. I often do that too.

anyway I've disabled the notes... the reading list looks like before update.well, people have more choices to suit their needs.

toyyoda likes this.
  18. phrasefable

phrasefable Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    @Tony Thanks, it's fixed now

Lushwf and Princess Renesmee like this.
  19. remy911

remy911 ┗|`o′|┛ Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Can you add a clear all notes and tags button (per series)? Probably shouldn't put it near the cancel/save button though. And maybe have a "Are you sure?" prompt for the butterfingers out there.

runsing and Nom de Plume like this.
  20. Walter vi Britannia

Walter vi Britannia Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Oh, so the 'completed' button is still there. Got scared there for a moment.

But why can't I write notes on completed novels?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.