How do I learn japanese 'Kanji'!

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by tottiy, May 26, 2018.

?

Did you ever try to learn Japanese?

1. I did ... Once.

2. I do! Never giving up! For Kanna-chan!!

3. I didn't but I think I will.

4. I did and now I can read japanese

5. I don't like japanese. Don't care.

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. tottiy

tottiy [Redacted]

Reading List:
    Link
    So, I have been learning japanese -as hobby- for a while and my teacher 'Tae kims Learning japanese guide' Says "Here is the dict. Go learn Kanji" and guess what? I didn't! Yup, thanks for the appluase. But this isn't a joke.... Stop clapping? I'm serious....... Hey!

Jokes aside, I really appreciate the guides way of teaching but I'm now clueless as to where to start with kanji -note that I dont have any kind of vocab only the kana- so, I need to ask for guidance from you fellow NUFians.

Please let your experience light my road.

2. slightofhand

slightofhand Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    You need to learn hiragana and katakana before you learn kanji. 'Nama Sensei's Japanese Lessons' on youtube is a decent way. Or you could just self study.
    After you know hiragana and katakane, WaniKani is a good way to learn kanji and words.

3. Jigoku Shounen

Jigoku Shounen An Envoy From Hell

Reading List:
    Link
    :blobpeek:
    *Lurking*

Slayerwolfx2 likes this.
  4. Alexios Blake

Alexios Blake Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    First of all it’s better to learn within actual teacher so try to search for a place where you can learn japanese.
    As for the kanjis the most important thing is repetition, begin with the basic kanjis that are also often used as radicals (parts of more complex kanjis) and then work your way up. Write your Kanjis daily so you get a good rhythm and search for someone who knows japanese so he can help you, at best a japanese Person. Furthermore a nice way to learn japanese is by listening to conversations be it anime, real live movies, or song with subtitles. That way you you also learn the rhythm of the language.

Seraphic likes this.
  5. Wannabe-shutin

Wannabe-shutin Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I just used kanji to write from the beginning; like that I learned how to write my vocabulary via repetiton (not like I remember them all, but the number I recognise increases steadily)
    In other words: write them whenever you can and slowly add your new vocabulary to the list

6. asomeCokkies

asomeCokkies [Eternal Quest for Epubs]

Reading List:
    Link
  7. kevmasterzoc

kevmasterzoc Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    There is no easy way to learn kanji other than shear memorization. Kanji (and Chinese for that matter since they use mostly the same characters) usually do not have any clues on how to read/say each character. Its best to start with kanji that are used often and the simpler kanji that are used as radicals (characters that are like building blocks of more complex characters). from there you just slowly build up your knowledge 1 character at a time. constantly being exposed to certain characters by writing it over and over again or by translating a character many times in like a novel will help pound it into your head.

Seraphic likes this.
  8. tottiy

tottiy [Redacted]

Reading List:
    Link
    Thanks for all responses but what I meant is 'Where do I start' whith Kanji.

9. eulerman

eulerman Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    TL;DR: https://djtguide.neocities.org/

There a lot of guides and ways to learn this, the link up there it just one of many resources out there, a translator lurking here probably have something better.
    If you are learning as a hobby, then as a quick guide yes, knowing hiragana and katakana just like the alphabet it's basics. For learning kanji.. you need to learn to distinguish one kanji from another. You can just bruteforce it while learning new kanjis, maybe with a book like Genki or you can use a guide for learning radicals like Heisig "Remembering the Kanji" to tell them apart.
    About the dictionary part, whatever you are using for learning, afterwards everything else you just have a dictionary to learn so get use to it.

I don't know how do you want to learn but just this is enough for a while for a hobby.
    Good luck.

Edit:
    If you want something to learn to tell them apart, Heisig "Remembering the Kanji" or something similar helps. Otherwise you can just learn them as you stumble with them reading whatever.

10. Ai chan

Ai chan Queen of Yuri, Devourer of Traps, Thrusted Witch

Reading List:
    Link
    kenar, gggo and Westeller like this.
  11. Sawanara murasaki

Sawanara murasaki Sawa the HEro-sensei

Reading List:
    Link
    I learn kanji from aedict, japanese dictionary complete with sentences but you need to mastered katahana and hiragana first...i did the same and now i can even tease people with kanji...
    *smile wryly

Deleted member 110464 and tottiy like this.
  12. noisypixy

noisypixy Sacatunn que pen, que summum que tun.

Reading List:
    Link
  13. asomeCokkies

asomeCokkies [Eternal Quest for Epubs]

Reading List:
    Link
    how is this thread back on the front page? Got a massive hit of deja vu

14. Neko

Neko (=^・ ω ・^=) ♪

Reading List:
    Link
    You could learn/memorize the kanji by grade level or it might be easier to learn/memorize if it's in the context of something you're interested in, so I would suggest trying to read raw manga that have furigana over the kanji to learn the characters whenever you look them up.

15. Arashi

Arashi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Learn all the Hirigana and then Katakani, yes in that order. Most of the time katakana words dont have a kanji counterpart so katakana is secondary in this case. Then, for learning kanji, it is just like hirigana/katakana, simply memorize and re write. The difference is since you now know hirigana you will be able to also write the hirigana to build a stronger association in your head. Learning the hirigana/katakana shouldnt even take a month if you are serious.

16. Kirihara Maya

Kirihara Maya Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    My methods? First is learning the basics (Hiragana and Katakana). Once you have memorized them.... Find your favorite mangas in raws. Find one where they have Furigana (spelling of Kanji in Hiragana or Katakana) instead of plain Kanji. In that way you will remember most of the common Kanji you need to know... For the rest....just patiently learn it....

17. Kaminomikan

Kaminomikan 神のみ感

Reading List:
    Link
    just connect to the matrix and install the language pack.

18. Nyamsus

Nyamsus Life is full of shit and we live in it

Reading List:
    Link
    I did....
    But I was too busy f5-ing NU

19. codiro

codiro Lethargic Pachyderm No. 5

Reading List:
    Link
    https://nihongoshark.com/learn-kanji/
    This seems like an interesting link. I coasted on mandarin knoweldge, but I think I should give this a try. Cuz mandarin knowledge don't help as much with readings.

20. Phantom Starlight

Phantom Starlight The Guiding Light

Reading List:
    Link
    This is what I couldn't figure out either. its been quite a few years now but I took as a first step learning how to write, along with an associated meaning to each kanji and did that for all the official ones (took me 6 months of doing flashcards to do it... 2 months to forget them though)
    My goal thougb was to be able to tell each one apart though, so when I do learn to read them, I don't run into say, the kanji for ice and the kanji for water and think they are both the kanji for water.

I never could find a way to start learning hos to read them so which is kinda why I never restarted learning them.

Everything I found assumed you KNEW how to read them already but were just relying on the furigana. So it was all advice to stop using furigana