How does overgeared compare with the legendary moonlight sculptor?

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by anon1guy, Jun 3, 2018.

1. anon1guy

anon1guy Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    What I mean to say was that I really enjoyed the Legendary moonlight sculptor esspeccially the different environments and sceneries and the epic battles. It was truly a wonderful first time experiance of being taken to such differerent and vibrant worlds. From what I understand in this genre the legendary moonlight sculptor seems to be the GOAT. and everything after experiancing the GOAT is a bit of a dissapointment. like how WoW used to be and likely still is the best mmorpg and has essentially killed the genre because others can't match up. But I just want peoples oppinions should I read Overgeared? Will I be dissapointed if I set my expectations at the LMS level.
    Ps: I stopped reading LMS after the romance started. I hate when romance sort of dominates a character and I started to see inklings of that,

2. oliver

oliver Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    You can't compare them because they're nothing alike outside of both of them being VR games. If you're going to be dissapointed in everything that you think already have a ''top dog'' in the genre, then you're gonna live a boring life. Overgeared is good, read it if you want, and don't try to compare it to something else before deciding

Dr_H_16, Rumby, Astaroth and 2 others like this.
  3. Nyamsus

Nyamsus Life is full of shit and we live in it

Reading List:
    Link
    OG MC quite lucky, the plot revolves around him too much to the point even a small quest end up being a big deal

4. kamisusano

kamisusano Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    In my opinion, LMS is better. I haven't read much of Overgeared, about 200 chapters,and i know that there are character developments but the start of the MC of Overgeared is too low with both his personality and skill. It needs long time for development. If you read Overgeared, you will feel agony about how a great treasure in the hand of a fool, how bastard he is to his loyal friends and many more fustrating things. I am gathering more patience to read more of it.

5. Estarossa

Estarossa 《Master of Dessert》°Resurrected Ghoul°

Reading List:
    Link
    LMS is clearly not the top considering that a lot of situations are basically recycled just put into different words.

6. anon1guy

Reading List:
    Link
    than what is the top?

7. Estarossa

Reading List:
    Link
    Dunno, I havent read all Korean Novels yet.

But at least Overgeared has a bit more problem solving rather than, "Man this quest is hard, I should build a sculpture to solve it".

TRIBAL2199 likes this.
  8. Prinny the Magican

Prinny the Magican Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Overgeared is great. I haven’t read LMS, so i can’t compare, but the MC is lucky, yet not. I think it gets better and better, where stuff like desolate era is great in the start, but only gets worse and worse. The MC has a lot of charcter development, and you really realise that the further you get along. Great read 8/10.

9. Seraphim

Seraphim 天使の王

Reading List:
    Link
    I like LMS to be honest. Both MC are in it for the money but the one from LMS is more mature... I mean, at least the one in LMS is mature unlike the one in OG. I mean, it would take you HUNDREDS of CHAPTER of CHARACTER DEVELOPMENT before the MC from OG stops from being a huge cancerous piece of shiet. But after that, he is fine. I'd still say LMS is better for me, but OG is definitely great as well once you get past the cancerous MC chapters. So if you really want to read OG, prepare to buckle up for hundreds (not sure if 100 or 200 chapters) of shit MC chapters. Cause if you can't, then don't even bother, you're just going to waste time by dropping it midway. I for one almost dropped it, but I gave it a chance and started skimming through as fast as possible (while still understanding the story) in the hopes that he becomes a better person just like what the comments in that site are saying.

Dr_H_16 likes this.
  10. anon1guy

Reading List:
    Link
    well I am more intrested in the sort of epic battles and awesome settings aspect of it. does it have that?

11. Estarossa

Reading List:
    Link
    The most recent chapters have had wars with npcs and other"Guilds".

The vampire part would be sorta what youre looking for.

12. anon1guy

Reading List:
    Link
    lol okay, I will try it. You guys have convinced me. thank you.

13. PrinceAeron

PrinceAeron [Panda°Who°Saves°The°World°From°Cookies°Demon]

Reading List:
    Link
    Well, in my opinion other than both are VRMMO nothing same.
    The way they choose proffesion at start of story is already different and that concludes all.

14. Astaroth

Astaroth empty

Reading List:
    Link
    Before reading Overgeared I heard a lot about how it's a worse LMS or comparisons to LMS, but really they're not particularly similar.

I would recommend reading it, there's quite a lot of things I personally don't like about Overgeared, but it also do quite a bit of new stuff that make it worthwhile to read regardless.

For example, the MC has an NPC wife AND child. I've never read a game novel where the MC has a child with an NPC.

A lot of people talk about character development this, character progression that bla bla bla and tbh I generally don't give a f and it's overrated. However, I would say that character development in Overgeared is definitely a big thing and it's not just some stupid stuff like the MC learning some basic life lessons for the umpteenth time (and tbh often enough they still make the same mistakes anyway as if they never learnt anything).

I don't like the crafting though, even though blacksmithing is supposed one of the pillars of Overgeared—like sculpting in LMS—you can't create your own original items unless you have the MC's legendary class "Pagma's Descendant", and there's still a limited number of self-designed items you can create even as the Legendary Class.

Imo it's really disappointing to know that the MC will at most make like 40 original items, and that nobody else in the game even can do that at all.

15. Vincent0225

Vincent0225 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Honestly for me, I read LMS till about Volume 41 and I had to stop. It was great in the beginning and then turned repetitive. I feel like the author is only keeping it alive because its a cash cow. But that is only my opinion. Overgeared is really good and has potential to be better but we have to see because its nowhere as long as LMS.

TRIBAL2199 likes this.
  16. Tramsloof

Tramsloof Quarter Erudite

Reading List:
    Link
    Overgeared and LMS are two very different novels belonging to the same genre.

There are similarities off course. These include similar starting of the mc which is full of misery and poverty and then a gradual or sudden rise in wealth due to game. Hidden classes which appear to be trash at the first glance but turns out to be a heaven of its own.

But the characters are very different. The way the story progresses is different. Even the air is different.

Frankly speaking, I liked LMS more. But Overgeared is good. It's not a copy, or anything which you compare to. It's good in its own league.

17. silentRiri19

silentRiri19 Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm so done with those people who keep saying the Grid(Greed)-Mc of OG, is just luck just because he got a legendary class 2 years earlier than the predicted date of the game developers. Remember that although, he is not talented, what he have is hardwork scouring that cave just to finish that particular quest. Weed is op but it gets boring since he is already the strongest character even before the previous game where he singlehandedly massacred a guild. Grid gets strong on coz of his class but can't really say he is the strongest since his mechanic is not on par with the strongest fighting class in satisfy (Kraugel- A typical beast).

I can say that OG is better mainly because of the NPCs. They have their own thoughts just like the players and while the player levels up or get stronger, they actually adapt ang gets stronger too to match the players not unlike LMS where the game is just too focused on players. There is interaction (more) between the NPCs and players on OG than LMS. What's more is that, Grid really have a huge change in his character due to his experiences and it is not a sudden change while Weed until now, is greedy as he can be. What I appreciate in OG is that, Greed respects NPC, and even got angry that he blacklisted certain organization due to the assassination of his Mentor (foster father?).

18. AmethystCherry

AmethystCherry Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    if you don't like harem then I don't think you'll like it. I haven't read overgeared but I've seen comments about it that it contains harem or sort of harem thing & there a lot of girls around him at every turn, as for romance in it I'm not sure?
    Anyways I could be wrong it's just from what I read others saying. I tried to read a few chapters from it but didn't like it. You could read for yourself and see.

19. AzureEmpR

AzureEmpR Your Typical Bored Student

Reading List:
    Link
    It’s incredibly hard to compare the two as although they’re both in the same genre, the two MCs focus on different things and are developed differently. I haven’t read either in some times however Moonlight Sculptor mainly has a MC who focuses on the game and contains hints of comedy etc whereas Overgeared contains an MC who gets character development but also contains more elements in the real world such as him entering competitions etc. Overgeared to the point I read up to which is probably around 1000+ chapters contained no harem so far, although he was “confessed” to, the guy has a wife NPC in the gaming world so he stayed loyal to her

20. Brutalix

Brutalix Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    For Legendary moonlight sculptor, which is better the manhwa or light novel?