Discussion Isn't Wattpad pure trash?

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Deleted member 128349, Jun 4, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Deleted member 128349

Deleted member 128349 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't know exactly how it is for other languages, but I've been scrolling through the german stories on Wattpad and it's even far worse than here. The same clichés and tropes over and over. And the demographics are even worse, over 95% of the stuff can be only read by women. These aren't stories that feature romance, I wouldn't have any problem with that, but there are basically only female Mary Sues, badboy stories, boyxboy stories or absolutely horrific fan fiction, that is so horribly written that the person should be forbidden to ever post that trash. No matter how I look at it, the site features basically nothing that is worth reading and even the stories with the most views still feature one of the three aspects I wrote above on top of being far from well written. Anyone with a different opinion/ impression?

2. oliver

oliver Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It's because it's like rrl. Most of the posters are not actual authors, barely even amateurs. You'd get the same result by digging through low rated stories on rrl.

3. Sircus

Sircus [Well-Known God]

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't like their interface so I never read stories there.

readerz likes this.
  4. Leilacus

Leilacus Zzzzz

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't really read Wattpad much due to the same reasons as you.
    Though there are stories that I can say are really good but you have to find it.
    Most of the time though, it's more on teen romance that is so badly constructed that it makes me cry of frustration. Kudos to the effort though.

Slayerwolfx2 likes this.
  5. Moonxious

Moonxious 「We of the Moon Race greets you all.」『Lurker』

Reading List:
    Link
    My impression is basically the same as you...

If you want to find some good novels at wattpad, it's the same as "searching for a needle in a haystack"

Slayerwolfx2, Alixiron and Leilacus like this.
  6. LaDyViL

LaDyViL New Member Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It's full of teenagers (girls) and their wet dream stories, more often than not self-inserts with their idols *shudder* I avoid them like a plague.

Plus, wattpad users (and admins) doesn't have that much awareness on creative rights imo There's a lot of them who just took off other's works and posted it on their account, so that they can read them offline. And what happened when you reported them? The admin would respond that they would only entertain complaints from the works' owner. Even if we as readers and visitors who reported showed them the links, the license or the whole batch of evidence, if you're not the owner you won't be entertained.

And as a mobile user, I hate their layout. Especially that obnoxious reminder to install their app that you can't remove unless you're logged in.

7. Bean

Bean Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    it isn't the same as trashyroadl? , that's why i only read fanfics in fanfiction xdd.

8. anhrefn

anhrefn [NTR Sect Leader]       [True Ancestor]

Reading List:
    Link
    because most of the writers there are women

9. LaDyViL

Reading List:
    Link
    Adding a bit, from a few translators that I know, wattpad has this tendencies to ignore their members' opinions and went ahead with removing their works (in this case, translations) off their site. This is not one or two cases, I've seen multiple cases like this.

Yes, they can be restored if you complaint. However, restoration only restores your works and not the replies, comment or the connections you've gained with your followers.

Tl;Dr Do not solely rely on wattpad to maintain your translations. In fact, if possible, don't use them at all.

Bad Storm, kenar, Alixiron and 6 others like this.
  10. Mantrazz

Mantrazz The Lord Upgrade D Biggest Baddest Spammer Around

Reading List:
    Link
    It's like searching for a talking fish underwater

11. ferrelrose

ferrelrose Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I used to be an active reader on wattpad but after a while i felt like i was reading the same plotline from the stories but from different authors. There are some good stories on wattpad but they are very hard to find.It's very tiring with the same bad boy, the same nerdy student and all those generic bsdm stories.:facepalm:Oh and don't forget about the stories with the wolves with alpha and omega.It's like they are just copying eachother:facepalm:

12. Havisu

Havisu Night Lurker

Reading List:
    Link
    Royalroad do have a lot of decent original story. Their system also good for new writers and readers alike...

Wattpad however, is a pure trashbin, you might find some good germ in it, but the probability is like someone putting their golden necklace in the trashbin.
    Bad interface, bad regulations, bad system, lazy ass admin, but most importanly, bad fanfics.. Nuff said.

13. noisypixy

noisypixy Sacatunn que pen, que summum que tun.

Reading List:
    Link
    So just like NU then.

14. Moonxious

Moonxious 「We of the Moon Race greets you all.」『Lurker』

Reading List:
    Link
    For you maybe, it is as such..
    But, you see, there's some novel that I think it's pretty decent for me.. it's called "Orc Wars : Uprising", some kind of VR stuff.. and there's also "Siva: The Destroyer", another VR/other world theme.. I guess that's all

15. Leilacus

Leilacus Zzzzz

Reading List:
    Link
    Oh my gosh! I absolutely know what you mean!

16. Leilacus

Leilacus Zzzzz

Reading List:
    Link
    To be fair, when I reported at NU, NU responded well. Unlike Wattpad.

isecai and Bad Storm like this.
  17. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    It's what happens when a specific environment gets oversaturated, 99% of the works you'll find will be (poorly made) rehearsals of what is successful, while 1% will be the shiny gems that you'll need to dig to find. It's normal.
    True in theory, but not in practice, I've done my fair share of reports on NU and Tony doesn't take only the owner's opinion into account.

Like the Empyrean Overlord case for example, that was removed because readers discovered it was not a translated novel. Or how you can report anything that is password protected and it will be properly removed.

NU uses quite a bit of userpower to work out those things.

Glaerun, Bad Storm and Alixiron like this.
  18. Mantrazz

Mantrazz The Lord Upgrade D Biggest Baddest Spammer Around

Reading List:
    Link
    NU responds ~i say like a preacher-man~

19. Deleted member 128349

Deleted member 128349 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    The thing about Wattpad is that it has a considerably big amount of users, other sites (in my case the german ones) are just barely visited and you'll be happy if 3-5 people will give their opinion on a story that is not part of the trashbin. I knew about the demographics of Wattpad even before I looked how the site is. The official statistic is: >60% females and >85% under 25 yeras old. Though a more realistic estimate would be: >98% females and >95% under 25 years old.
    My hope was that there would be at least a small amount of authors that write good stories that can be read by both males and females, although I know that overall there are far less male readers than female ones and the amount of literature that is being written for males is also decreasing, or at least it's certainly not growing.
    I had low expectations, but what I saw was still very underwhelming. Judging by the comments, that is also the impression of more or less everybody else.

20. LaDyViL

Reading List:
    Link
    Have you even tried reporting on wattpad and have they ever been resolved aside from the generic response? Can you contact the person in charge of the site directly and get response from them publicly or personally depending on your choice?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.