Novel Yuusha Isekai! Youjo Suki! [Ch 1-152]

Discussion in 'Community Fictions' started by eharper256, Jun 28, 2017.

1. eharper256

eharper256 Purveyor of Dubious Medicinal Elixirs [since 1885]

Reading List:
    Link
    SIDE Y3
    LILLIES OF THE VOID

"No. That isn't the way."

I sigh, turn back, and walk back along the grounds.

They are full of life. Orchards of histmunch sway in the background.

Funnily enough, even though I've known and been with Kurono for nearly a year, I haven't ever seen her estate. At least until our little affair last night.

We have, for the most part, been off on missions and adventures, I guess. And I was stubborn about using inns, wasn't I?

Come to think of it, though, when I arrived at Hal-Castemour, seeking to escape my chains, I was so naive that the idea of another noble being a mercenary seemed like nonsense.

I used to be dumb damsel, didn't I? Maybe part of me thought I would never manage to do anything after all and I would go crying back to grandfather, just like he predicted.

What a defeatist I was.

I must have been pretty obvious, in retrospect. She must have known and was humouring me. Kali of course didn't even think about it.

It’s funny. Rish is way more mature than me. She always was, protecting Aria, and here I thought she was the one that needed babying. It was me all along.

Bah!

Whatever. No point getting my panties in a twist. She probably forgives me. It’s more about forgiving myself, isn't it?

I've been through a lot, though.

I'm... probably better than I was.

I hung on; and suffered through adventuring and near death. And yet, only near the end, when my barrier cracked and cracked and cracked and I was about to die did I realise what a stupid, entitled brat I'd been all along.

Maybe, after all, I will go back? An eccentric like me will probably never get a husband anyway. Don't know what I'm worried about.

Makes me a hypocrite after all that, I suppose.

But even being in this calm little estate for a short period has made me wistful for the old days, when I lived in relative sloth and luxury.

How finicky a woman can be!

That’s just me, maybe.

Perhaps Grandfather let me go for this reason. So, I could see myself how other people lived.

Probably. He's a sly old bastard.

But I do love him. Much like Rish loves her own grandad.

I love Kuro now as well.

"Fucking jeez... what a dumbass silly bitch..."

Ha! I used to think I was great, swearing like that among the noble girls, giggling to ourselves about naughty words.

I then thought how terribly crude mercenaries were, spraying those words left and right.

But...

Bah! What a stupid line of thought. I totally am a hypocrite. I get embroiled in my own thoughts like mud; and have the hubris to give advice to the contrary to that man Rish liked.

This garden is really beautiful.

You wouldn't have thought that roaming bandits torched it to the ground nary twelve years ago.

Kuro went through a much more shocking change than my one, for sure.

Talk about a baptism in fire spirits.

"She must have worked so hard, unlike me."

"I do appreciate the sentiment, but strangely, I don't think I can take full credit here."

"Kuro!" I spin around to see her advancing whilst twirling her parasol. Her head maid, Clarine, behind her.

"Has the fresh air helped?" She comes up to me with a queer grin; and takes my arm.

"I... yes..." I smile back shyly.

Basically… I was running away again. I nearly left the estate.

"I'm glad you stayed, in the end." She nods.

Jeez... she saw right through me.

I look bashful.

"Um... is Alicia still here?" I query.

"Ah... no... she has gone to spend her share from the job. But unlike some creatures, that one returns all the time. Quite a pain, actually. Ohohoho." She laughs behind a hand.

Why didn't I ever twig for so long that only noble women laugh like that? Probably because me and Rish and Aria wouldn't do it.

And she restrained herself whilst she had her archer persona on.

She is able to have a persona, unlike a certain silly girl who wears her heart on her sleeve.

I suppose I really would be terrible catch as a court wife. No wonder I made it to eighteen without a husband!

"So, what did you mean, you can't take credit? You've worked hard since you were nine. I know that."

"Ah... well... yes. It is true that I worked so hard I was physically sick. But my lands -were- burnt and salted. The grudge against my father that those men had was... extraordinary. So, after all that... Isn't it strange to still behold such fertility?"

I guess? I don't know anything about cultivation, though.

"I like to think... my parents are still helping me from beyond."

"Why is that?" I ask.

She hugs me close and I blush.

"Well..." she rolls her eyes and sighs deeply.

"Hnnn... I didn't tell anyone else this... but when I was rescued... I cried for ages over mom's ragged body. And then... for some reason... there was a strange seed there."

"Come to think of it... why ever did I know it was a seed? Huh... well... in any case. I kept it. I thought it must have been mothers. I thought she must have wanted to plant it. So, I got on my knees in the ashes one day... and I did."

She nods over to the left.

"It grew into that."

I look and blink. A massive roanoak, heaving with nuts.

"In ten years!?" I exclaim.

"Quite. In fact, it was that big after three. And then... wood spirits suddenly appeared in mass around here."

I thought it had just escaped the fire.

"Hehe... that was my stewards’ reaction. But I've learnt it’s best not to question the whimsies of the gods." She snickers.

My brows crease, though... surely...

And then, she kisses me.

Yeah. Don't question the whimsies of the gods. I need to learn from my mistakes.

I kiss her back.

2. eharper256

Reading List:
    Link
    CHAPTER 122
    A HEAVY SUBJECT

"Given all you have said... and my previous experiments last year... the only thing that makes sense is that, when we draw power, we draw void spirits. And then... they become other types in the process. Some easier than others. Some die whilst channelling the power. And some clumps of void spirits are made. Eventually, they return to the void. And when void spirits of some power die..."

"They make flowers, that become seeds for new spirits?"

"That. Probably that."

So, death is just part of the cycle of life. Pretty obvious.

"I do not truly understand this discussion. But I believe all senior light spirits become aware that we are reverse. We prevent death and preserve cycles. Death is the lack of emotion. Apathy. Giving in. But we invoke emotion and are empowered by it. We do not understand why humans generate such emotion from love and death. But we relish in it, for sure." Michael confirms a few things even as both he and Rishya look puzzled.

There is a moment's silence.

"In any case, we should move on."

"Mmm... this must... it must be studied... if only there was more time... but you're right boy... first we must find a way out." Seria grumbles, but nods.

"Ah! Way out!" Aeris suddenly barks, dashing up to me.

"You found something?" I ask her, patting her head.

"No way! I just remembered that was what we were looking for!"

I feel a dramatic collapse is in order from everyone.

Yeah, this girl has a short attention span like a three-year-old despite her twelve-year-old appearance. I keep forgetting.

"Exit! Way out! Place to be gone!" She giggles.

Still monstrously cute though.

"Ahem, well... shall we follow the faint light again, Elijah-sama?" Rishya asks.

Faint light?

Oh, now she mentions it, there is a light. Like a twinkling star in the distance.

"Huh... I didn't notice that before." I mention.

"Understandable. I believe Michael is enhancing its light right now." Rishya nods smugly, patting her chest with a wobble.

"So, who do you want to carry, onii-chan?" Aria says, smirking.

Uhh... oh! Right, the unconscious girls. Yeah... I guess I should carry one.

Then again... armoured Kiku... armoured Kali...

"Uh... I'll take Kaede then I guess." I select the wuss option.

"Are you certain?" Aria looks suspicious. "Well... if that’s what you want." She grins.

She hoists Kali and Kiku over opposite shoulders in an absurd display, even more silly than that time she carried Yuuzu and Kurono, because she's wearing that insane fanservice dress.

I crouch down next to Kaede and pull her up in a princess carry.

Oh gods.

What.

What is this!

I nearly fall over from the unexpected shift in weight balance.

Fortunately, I manage to prevent completely pratfalling over and/or accidently groping her.

The others burst into laughter because I'm sure it was still a pretty stupid display.

"Did you think slender Kaede would be the lightest, Onii-chan? Where do you think she keeps her sixty kunai and stacks of other weapons besides on her body?" Aria laughs.

What the hell... she was the heaviest option!?!

"Bleeeahhh! That's right! Kiku was the correct option. She has red mithril armour, light as a feather! Hahaha!"

Goddammit. I think Aria is becoming more vindictive.

Hah... I suppose I deserve it for making fun of her magical girl appearance before.

I look at the girl with her eyes closed in my arms. She looks like a serene sleeping doll as usual. But right... uh... down... her rather loose fold of a kunoichi outfit, wrapped around her in lots of places, are belts upon belts of glinting knives and needles.

For some reason I was just too dense to notice. But yes, pocket dimensions are a thing restricted to void mages, right?

Did I think it was some mysterious ninja technique? Well, to be honest, I probably just didn't think about it at all.

I hoist her up, now used to the weight.

"Well, let’s get going." I say.

"Oh? I thought you'd want to swap?" Aria snarks.

"I'm not that much of a whiner. I made this choice, so I'm stuck with it, right? I'll take responsibility. And... uh... I'm sorry for making fun of you before." I bow my head slightly.

Aria looks suddenly bashful and puts a hand behind her head. Its surprisingly a hot gesture, given how scantily clad she is right now.

"Ehehe... jeez... I really can't win against your shamelessness, Elijah. But then again, that’s why I like you, isn't it?"

"Probably why we all can't help but be enamoured by the boy." Seria nods.

"Like, like? Aeris likes?"

"Well, let’s go, then..." I say.

I throw Kaede over my left shoulder so I can grab onto Aeris' hand again.

As expected, Michael picks Rishya up again, and dashes off at high speed in the direction of the twinkle. Aria runs herself, powered up by her swan dress.

Seria just appears to crackle with electricity and begins to fly next to her crystal and zooms off as well.

"Exit! Going! Gone!"

Aeris snaps up my hand and I am pulled off at Mach speed myself, after the others.

I wonder where this all leads?
    ---------

Triple post, you say!? Yes, these were the chapters I posted on RRL during my hospital time and a bit after. I suddenly realised I didn't add them here (I couldn't for some reason access NU from Hospital on my phone).

My operation went well, by the way: I'm the proud owner of a new kidney! I'm still slow and groaning and attached to a pair of plastic drain bags, but the road to recovery is in sight!

3. cranston

cranston Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    May your recovery be swift.
    For I wish to read more isekai :p

4. eharper256

Reading List:
    Link
    CHAPTER 123
    ENLIGHTENED

The light rapidly grows in intensity now.

We've been running in the void for what seems like hours, but I think it’s closer to twenty minutes. The generic, amorphous terrain does a number on one’s senses.

It’s a good job one doesn't seem to tire or have regular limits here. I actually wonder if this is really my body or just some aspect of my soul?

The light is now evidently more like a line, splitting the darkness like the first real hint of a sunrise on the horizon.

"Is that it?"

"Yes, boy, that is in fact a leyline. A small one. But usable nonetheless." Seria projects her voice loudly somehow.

Good stuff. Hopefully we can get out then. It’s pretty scary to think what might have happened had I not been able to find the others, though. I could have been stranded forever. Though... perhaps Aeris and I could've done something? Who knows...

As we approach even closer, it becomes apparent that more shadowy, spidery forms are shuffling around en masse around the leyline.

"Do we need to fight again?" I wonder out loud.

"Unn... no... not angry void spirits... more muchly sadder... wanting to come through..." Aeris answers.

Sure enough, we whirl to a stop nary thirty feet from them, but they appear to show no interest, even as we place down the unconscious girls and act wary.

"It’s weird how their behaviour is so... err...um..." Aria stutters

"...Bipolar?" Rishya offers. Ironic from her tsundere nature, but I guess she knows it best. Ha!

"Yes." Aria nods.

"Mmm... I think, 'intense' is more fitting. Studies have shown that void spirits get stuck on singular ideas and emotions; and feel them strongly and intensely almost constantly. They especially dwell on negative ones. Rage, death, that sort of thing. It makes their void mage contractors very brooding, much of the time..."

I guess that does describe Kurono, based on my short and shallow impression of her. A goth natural, she would have been, if she had black dyed hair and more chains on her outfit.

"Wait... you said... they want to... come through, Aeris?" I suddenly notice what she said offhand and turn to her.

She is pirouetting on the spot, possibly trying to drill her way through the ground with her speedy spins, but then stops and falls over.

For goodness sakes...

"Whoa! Dizzy? This is dizzy! Hehe! Oh! Un! They all want to go through! Look how sad they are!" She chortles.

"Hm... perhaps... perhaps this is very important." Seria starts pacing.

"Clustering around like moths to a fire." Aria whimsies.

"Like girls to Elijah-sama!" Rishya giggles behind a hand.

Aria glares at her.

Seria suddenly jumps in shock.

"Oh! My gods!! Sendervils purple cock!! Surely... not..."

"Did you figure something out?"

She looks haunted as she stares at me.

"This... this is actually a major leyline!"

"Right...?" I say, not understanding.

Seria stomps her foot in frustration, charges up me and presses up against me, growing back into her sexy older form as she does so, apparently involuntarily.

"This is a major leyline! This! Stupid boy! Why is it so hard to leygate these days? Why can only sages manage it? Why were they much bigger once? So much that journeyman mages could send armies through! Why are there just so many void spirits? All... here... pressing... inwards!"

"Choking the lines... like fat on veins?" I ponder.

"Oh! So... something used to bring them through... but now it doesn't. So now... now..." I furrow my brows.

"They die. But they are not returning. So, the magic is all used and becomes of void!" She snarls.

"Right." I nod, looking her in the eyes.

Suddenly she makes a choking motion and blushes furiously, realising how close she is.

She pulls away from me again.

"Ahem! There was a growing anomaly. More and more human Void mages were becoming evident. Did you know that bags like Rishya's once fetched a king's ransom? But now any healer and many nobles carry one. Then... the Wood Sage once reported to my master that the demon lands were gradually dying and becoming infertile."

Nobody ever really told me these kinds of facts. I wish they had.

"And that is why cultivator is invading." I nod.

"I... it is? The official declaration was something like... 'we must remove the scourge of humanity from this land.' Or something." Aria looks confused.

"Hahhh... Arry, it’s always about land... or money... or relatives... nobody really longs for genocide. At least I hope not..." Rishya scrunches her brows and shakes her head.

"Well... that statement is not necessarily wrong either... I think... since perhaps cultivator knows a lot more than we ever did. From his perspective, who is now depleting all the magic?" Seria shakes her head.

"Humanity." I answer, glumly.

"Mmmmm... quite so. Doubtless gaining fertile land is one thing. The main thing, even. But this war... has forced summons to occur. Which... although not apparently especially bountiful in the case of the boy... has been adding external power into the cycle." Seria continues.

"Getting land, culling troublesome human mages, and adding external energy? He's playing for time..." I figure it out.

"Yes. That is so."

Wow. It’s all starting to make sense...

5. eharper256

Reading List:
    Link
    SIDE LC
    THE ENDLESS PROTECTOR

I lived long ago.

Truly lived, that is.

It is not like I do not live now. But it, in a way, is behind a glaze of other lives.

No matter how I try, the memories of others pollute what it is like to be the original me.

More so, when I have to do what I did, back then, when I was left with no choice.

I had no special hatred towards the kingdoms agent, but they were the only choice.

I did not want to die.

I wonder why I still do not want to die.

I have seen over five hundred years, been a man, a woman. I have cheated on my one true love more times than I can count. I have had many children. Far more than the first, the one I lost, when I was me.

Am I even me anymore?

Am I merely the vestige of madwoman that is just too stubborn to go?

I have thought this for many years. But when I try to think too hard, when I wonder if my sins would ever justify what I have achieved, when I consider finally dying...

I simply... think of his last wish.

A warm love feels my chest again.

I realise, of course, that I was merely a foolish maiden. One who somehow made it through hell. Who became so in love with the one to save her that she would do anything, in a crazed fury.

A human. Not even a demon. Not even a creature of this world.

And yet... even though I could not love. Even though I should not love. I did.

Who wouldn't?

He changed the world for me.

He betrayed everything, everyone, for me.

He gave up going back for me.

His love. It was so genuine. It may have been pity to start with.

But pity for me. Someone. Something... like me?

And together. We changed everything. Together, we became husband and wife.

Even as a terrible wife that could not have his real child until it was too late. He stayed with me.

So why wouldn't I give everything. Do anything. To preserve what he dreamed of that one day?

That one day, when the whip smashed down on me. When I was about to just give in. When I had lost everything and determined that I truly was just a half. A filthy half.

I wonder if he'd forgive what I'd done.

I didn't even let his true descendent live.

They couldn't understand. I raised them in joy and luxury, and they became spoiled. So much that they would spit on the legacy of what he had made.

I couldn't allow that.

A distant ability of my lineage awakened, and I dominated. I became.

I became my own son. I tore away his psyche, destroyed it. And I became him.

I will never forget the horror I had when I realised what I had done.

For a year after, I was not mentally sound. What kind of mother would be, after that?

I have researched this ability all my life as penance for what I did in that moment.

I cannot take it back.

I would not, in any case. I decided, after my spate of madness, that this would ultimately be the best way, after all.

I simply tried to minimise the damage. I made them blank slates, the other children.

Funnily enough, the ability was the legacy of a princess who was a whore who slept with a human.

I truly was scum. Abandoned scum. Somehow, finding that out at last only strengthened my conviction, though.

No matter what trash I originally was, I was loved. And is that not a miracle?

That should be embraced, no?

Of course, now the pollution is getting to me.

I feel a gentle love for this boy. For that man. Among all the things likely to survive the oppressive weight of my ancient psyche taking over, it is love.

Before, I would have felt merely a duty towards them, as things related to his dream.

The new demons are scum, just like I was. I feel this strongly. They don't care for his legacy.

So, I suppose this love is not a thing that conflicts with my standard goals. It just increases the feelings.

Feelings like this are still a chore, though. They invoke the memories they were created by, of this body raising the children, comforting the man.

Nevertheless, I shall honour them.

Let the attack on the palace come.

They shall know the fury of my five hundred years. The fathomless depths of my dedication. The training from him that I have repeated and honed forever and a day.

They shall rue the day they attacked the kingdom we built with our two hands, joined as one.

I will never stop protecting.

Never.

6. eharper256

Reading List:
    Link
    CHAPTER 124
    GODS OF DEATH

"So, uh, how do we get into this thing?" I ask, staring at the shimmering golden wall in front of us.

Aeris is hissing like a cat at a seemingly innocuous void spirit that is moping around a few feet from us, occasionally trying to touch the golden wall, but being repelled.

It certainly does have a melancholic impression to it.

"Give me a few minutes boy. There are a lot of years to sift through in my head. I'd like to know if anyone has done this before." Seria growls.

Understandable. Vaporising us all after all that would be rather embarrassing, right?

I look around and squint. Just a bit further beyond where we all are I notice there is a large concentration of void spirits dashing forwards and backwards repeatedly on the spot, like they are doing some insane exercise routine.

"I wonder what they are doing?" I say off-hand.

"I... honestly don't know, Elijah-sama." Rishya looks where I am; and scrunches her brows.

Aria shrugs.

Aeris loses interest in the singular void spirit and dashes over to the concentration of them. She starts pirouetting next to them, a stark contrast to their orderly line dance.

"What'cha doin'? What’s this?" She asks whilst spinning.

She stops suddenly, and so do the rest of us, as with military precision, all of the void spirits stop their back and forth and turn to stare at her.

"Eeek!" She squeaks, and dashes up to suddenly hide behind me, peeking out her head cutely.

Honestly, though, Aeris, I don't know what sort of protection you're expecting there if you're scared by this.

'5+r4ng3r' I suddenly hear from the void spirit assembly.

It echoes in my head. It’s like listening to garbled radio static. But it seems like this kind of thing is almost understandable. It said 'stranger' for sure.

'Y0u h4v3 c0m3.'

"I... yes... I have." I reply.

Not intentionally though.

'Y0ur v016 1s n0+ 0f 0ur5. Y0ur 5p1r1+ 5+r4ng3'

"Hey! Aeris not strange! Aeris cute!" She pouts and balls her fists in frustration, suddenly regaining her confidence.

I snicker at this display. But...

"You can hear that, Aeris?"

"Un?" She blinks. "Is big void spirit. Very chilly!"

Hmm... this one doesn't seem bad. Its big? So, it’s... old?

"I see."

'Ch1lD. C0m3 cl053r.'

"Don't wanna!" She shouts.

That sounds old indeed. Or maybe creepy. But... well... trust my gut, I suppose.

I pick Aeris at the flanks and carry her towards the cluster of void spirits. She squeals and squirms and is surprisingly heavy for her size. Must be the metal.

I stop and drop her about ten feet away. She grumbles at me.

'H0h... 4 n3w 0n3 f0r 5ur3. F45c1n4+1ng.'

"Boy... you should be more careful. This spirit is extremely old and powerful." Seria suddenly comes up to me, grimacing. "It is very good at hiding itself too. I didn't even notice it until just a moment ago."

Suddenly, there is shimmer of purple light, and where there was once a small division of void spirits, there is now a crouching giant. It still has the feel of a bipedal insect, with lots of exoskeletal pieces, claws, and spikes. Its eyes blaze with an eerie black fire.

"Is this your true form?" I ask.

'F0rm 15 m34n1ngl355. 1 4m v01d. 4ll 15 my f0rm.'

Profound. I guess this is related to how void spirits store things away?

Seria shivers, and Aria and Rishya come up to us as well, looking wary.

Perhaps I'm the only one who doesn't feel as though this thing is dangerous?

Well... maybe that’s not right. It is very dangerous. It is clearly extremely powerful, dwarfing the other spirits we have here, including Michael, who also looks nervous.

But, it has the feeling of an inquisitive old gentleman, ex-military. Seen some serious shit in its time. At least I think that as long we don't piss it off, we'll be ok.

"Um, is there something you needed of me, then... um... what should I call you?"

Its black flaming eyes squint.

"Naming is dangerous, Etranger."

Suddenly it seems to talk perfect English. Bizarre.

"But if you must have one... then... yes... that is appropriate... Thanatos."

The Messenger of Death, eh?

"This is a known deity in your own world, is it not? It is my closest parallel."

I get the feeling my own memory was just tapped casually. Scary.

"I do not need of anything from you. Curiosity simply appeared to get the better of me. You are from a very strange world. And you have spawned a very strange spirit."

Aeris doesn't appear to have a comeback this time. In fact, she is shivering and looks scared of Thanatos.

"Despite the fact that this side is always changing, everything is ultimately always the same. The void is eternally cursed to never achieve anything. It can only preserve, and end things." He continues, on a philosophical bent.

"I see. Fascinating." I nod, honestly interested.

Thanatos stops for a second. With nothing in his eyes, it is hard to tell much about what he is thinking.

"Hmm... Perhaps... is this really the time?"

"Time for what?" I ask.

Thanatos doesn't appear to answer for a moment, as if pondering. Then his head turns.

"Path down of Lathandel. He who walks in Kinah's last footprint and relishes the storm left behind. Come to me." He then suddenly says.

Seria suddenly goes wide eyed. She jerks like a doll with her strings pulled, as if beckoned forwards supernaturally.

"Me?"

She gulps. But she shuffles forwards despite her grimace. It’s weird to see her so meek.

I'm guessing Lathandel was... the first thunder sage? Is this... is this what he meant about names being dangerous?

There is so much I don't understand at times.

Thanatos pushes a single long claw forwards to Seria. She shivers as it taps her cheek.

"There is a place you should go."

"I... if you say so, Lord Thanatos." She quivers.

Suddenly, in a shocking display, the claw blurs, and Seria is stabbed directly in the eye.

She screams.

---------------
    Another triple post update lol, adding stuff I've managed to complete at clinics over the last couple of weeks. I shall attempt to try and get back into doing 2 chapters a week soon, as my recovery is going well.

7. eharper256

Reading List:
    Link
    CHAPTER 125
    A NEW VOID ORDER

"Seria!" I shout.

But before I can do anything, the claw is withdrawn from her eye, and she topples backwards.

I dash forwards and grab her before she falls.

"What did you do to her?!" I shout involuntarily and look up.

But Thanatos is gone.

"Ahhhhhh..." Seria squeals, banging herself again me like she is having a seizure.

Her eyes are glowing golden now, and her left is tremendously bloodshot. But it seems it wasn't gorged out or anything. That's a relief.

Aria and Rishya dash over. Rishya starts inspecting Seria, lying in my lap.

"Whu... where did it go?" Aria queries, her neck turning all around.

"Everywhere, I think." Rishya rubs her chin as she checks Seria closely.

"What?" Aria gives her the stink-eye.

"Mmm... the only thing that makes sense, Aria, is that... that is... was some kind of essence of the void itself. An embodiment of the critical aspect of the ether."

"You've just said a load of words." Aria growls.

"You're saying the entire void is a spirit...!" I exclaim.

"Given what we have already ascertained about spirits today, that is a logical conclusion, Elijah-sama." She says. She listens to Seria's chest.

"But in any case... I don't believe Seria-sama has been wounded as such. It is some kind of mental trauma. Her heart is racing and her magic is running wildly. I wonder what happened..."

I realise her floating crystal spirit has crashed by the unconscious girls and is zapping with shocks.

Suddenly, like something from a zombie movie, Seria sits bolt upright. She looks hazy.

"Seria?" I query.

"Eh? My love? What was I doing?"

What?

I grin.

"T-tell me... I didn't just... oh hell..."

Suddenly it appears to dawn on Seria what she just admittedly, and she swoons in shock.

In her panic, she tries to get off my lap, but only succeeds in pushing her butt closer.

"I love you too, Seria."

"Damn it boy! Kahhhhh!"

Rishya bursts out in laughter and Aria sighs and rolls her eyes.

"Well, remind me to never let a void spirit stab me in the eye again... Kinah's balls... I've had far more painful experiences in the last twenty-four hours than I've had in a year before."

"Including sex?" Rishya adds needlessly, giggling.

"Shut up you." Seria flicks her forehead.

Aria sighs and facepalms again.

"So... what happened exactly?" I query, trying to steer away from dangerous subjects.

"Besides giving me a horrible case of bloodshot eyes, boy? Doubtless I look terrifying at the moment, fufufu..."

"Nope. Still cute." I assure her.

"Hah... sometimes I really do wonder about what I have done..." she rolls her eyes.

"Well... whatever... in effect... it... 'Thanatos'... has given me a memory of a place I should not possess."

"And he said you should go there?" Aria asks.

"Yes. Urged rather strongly. Which is not a problem, as he appears to have included ley-line breaching instructions as well. Which is honestly rather worrying..." Seria answers, flicking a twin-tail.

"Should we really trust this ancient spirit?" Aria ponders.

"No. Of course not. Doubtlessly it has a motive. But... he appears to have found the boy entertaining or such, and this sort of thing... it does of course pique my curiosity."

"Aeris thinks it’s being mean. Not a nice old man. Scary!" Aeris quips, attempting to mimic Seria's hair flick, but failing as her own hair is a heavy metal.

"Undeniably I have never before witnessed such majesty from a void spirit. It made me realise I am still little more than an insect in the grand scheme of things." Michael states tentatively.

Rishya hugs the giant tiger and he growls slightly.

"And what do you think, Rishya?"

She shrugs.

"I'll follow Elijah-sama and Arry wherever and protect you all. That’s all that matters to me."

Aria lets out a shy smile. Rish never changes, huh?

"Well... if the big bad spirit thinks it’s important... I guess we can't really ignore it, eh, onii-chan?"

She grins sweetly. I suppose that distils it down to the key facts. Personally, as suspicious and scary as this void spirit appears, and no matter its motivations, it seems like at the very least it doesn't hold any direct malice towards me. Possibly just because I'm interesting, but that’s still enough.

"I guess we'll follow its advice then... take us all there, Seria."

Aeris puffs out her cheeks and does a 'hmmmph!'. She was really surprisingly rattled by that whole experience, eh?

"Wherever there is. Mmmmm... well, your wish is my command and so forth. Gather everyone up next to the leyline. I'll prepare.

"Hopefully the others will wake up when we get there. I'm missing them for some reason... heh..." Aria snickers.

"Me too." I nod.

I pick up Kaede again and place her right by the glowing wall. Aria sets Kiku and Kali down next to her. They're amusingly lined up like a row of dolls.

"Link their hands. We'll have to carry them as a drag weight. It’s a bit of a pain." Seria grimaces.

Me and Aria link the hands of the three together. It’s pretty weird.

We then follow Seria's instructions, forming another circle surrounding the unconscious girls in the middle. The spirits all seem to disappear. I find a sword at my waist all of a sudden, and Michael is back to being a staff. Seria's spirit appears to become a hairclip.

Fortunately, (?), Aria doesn't suddenly become naked. She returns to having her standard combat outfit, and I swear her spear becomes shinier.

"Mmmm... let’s get going, then." She has started to flow with power.

Suddenly, we feel sucked towards the ley-line, and with a strange ear-popping noise, we are inside, and on our way once more.

8. eharper256

Reading List:
    Link
    SIDE MKO2
    MERCENARY INTERVENTION

This is taking way too long. It’s becoming dangerous.

Just as I thought that, I had to turn myself into water to avoid another flying piece of rubble from Kako fighting the strong demon. Much to our irritation, with his constant influx of support, he received time enough to imbibe a suspicious black vial and went back to fighting as awfully as ever. Kako has now lost a shoulder pauldron and is bleeding from her cheek and gauntlet and flank. I have soothed her wounds with healing waters, but I am not a light mage, so it is not proper healing, just an anaesthetic salve.

She is down one sword, and to be honest, I am not sure how I am still going myself. I have surpassed what I thought to be my limit some time ago, but I haven't had to oversurge or use any ghost-liquor or anything. If I had more time to wonder why... but I do not.

The next assault comes.

We have pressed closer to the palace. We are now at the gates. Doubtless the demon is well aware of our goal but is doing everything to delay us with good reason. We were too late to stop at least three dozen demons getting inside. Kako's guards managed to get inside as well to help. It’s only twenty minutes into the attack, though it feels much longer. I wonder how it’s going inside. I hope everyone's okay.

The two weapons meet again in a furious clash so quick it makes me wonder why I even bothered with sword training. Even Aria would find herself stressed with that demon’s speed and she was the muscle power idiot of us three girls. Cadence would be gutted like a fish in five strikes. Me... I'd get two at most.

So, the fact Kako keeps going is truly evidence of how madly strong she is.

I support her with an icicle I throw like a javelin, which flies true and glances the flank of the demon whilst Kako is pressuring it. It staggers slightly, and Kako uses the opportunity to turn her fist to stone and punch it in the gut. It sails off and crashes through some more masonry but flips and self-rights.

It starts to charge back again, but then stops, mid-charge, and suddenly pivots to the left, raising its axe blade whilst going wide eyed.

I wonder what the heck its doing.

But out of nowhere, there is suddenly a man there. His cavalry sabre flashes twice, six, fifteen times... more. I have never seen such a fast attack. I still don't see it, to be honest. It’s probably even more strikes than I perceived.

Then, suddenly, the demon cries out, the pommel of a large curved knife sticking out of its eye socket. I didn't even see him draw it or use it.

Its hesitation allows the man to deliver a flying kick straight to its chest. It sails off again and crashes once more.

"Father!" Kako shouts.

Ah. That explains everything. That is Kane Arnas. Of course, the dull green hair. He quickly paces up to me, fully enclosed in banded mail with the swirling red cloak of the local mercenary guildmaster. He bows slightly.

"Your majesty. Sorry I took so long. Let me handle this. I've got it. Get inside with my daughter. Save your father... and both of you, take these."

He hands out a glowing bottle to each of us. A Reformation Elixir? Those are rare as hell. Only the Sage of Light can make them, right? Kako hesitates for a second, as do I, but then she nods, and quaffs hers.

A wave of light seems to burst from her. Not only her wounds and blood, but even her armour and clothing damage, even her creases. All gone. It’s like she went back to how she was an hour ago at the start of the parade.

I gulp and do the same. It tastes like Aria's favourite cider. It gives me a shocking feeling, like my skin is crawling off me and I have pure menthol in my lungs. My heart roars and my tiring spirit has a gleeful seizure from the power influx.

I feel even like my ribs are less distinct and I've eaten a great meal as well. Doubtless I've somehow just become flat out healthier. My dress strains a bit as I fill out slightly. Hopefully not in the chest.

How bizarre.

Suddenly, the demon roars and leaps at Kako's father with a horrifying two handed axe strike. But he barely pivots, effortlessly catching it with his single curved blade, and barely stepping back a half-step from the impact.

"Hoh...? You made me step back." He says, raising an eyebrow.

He slashes a wide swing in return, making an ear screeching clang noise as the demon leaps back, axe in front.

Kane then throws away the sabre, snorting. I wonder why, but the sabre literally shatters mid-air, its shards clattering into the rubble.

"What a monster. No wonder you were giving my lovely daughter a tough time."

The demon grins.

"Takes... one... to... be... knowing... of... one..." The demon spits out in broken Jezzethan.

Kane draws a resplendent looking red mithril shortsword instead.

"I'm sorry, Kiku, daddy's going to have to use the child you left with me. I'll get you a different wedding gift."

Kako's dad smiles back gently.

I have no idea what he's on about. I just don't think I can understand people like this.

But I think we can go.

I start to run to the palace entrance in the opening, as Kane Arnas and the demon start another insanely speedy clash.

Kako shakes her head and comes after me.

We dash in silence through the gates.

"I still can't compare." Kako says ruefully offhand.

"I don't think anyone can, Kako. He is an S-rank only because there is no higher place to go."

"Ah... I meant the demon. I mean... yes... I could never beat father in a million years with both hands tied behind his back either, but actually, that demon wasn't far off father's full power. I have been fighting defensively this entire time. If I didn't... I'd already be dead. But it means I couldn't put any decisive blows in. I'm sorry, your majesty... I'm a fai..."

"Don't you dare imply you've failed!" I rebuke her. "You have done what very few people could. You are an amazing knight, Kako."

She opens her mouth slightly, as if to argue, but then shakes her head, smiling wistfully.

"I... thank you, Melody. That actually means alot to me."

I grin. She used my name for once.

"Yes. Most importantly, you are my knight. I won't let you go." I say.

"I live to serve, your majesty." She smiles.

"Then let’s save my father and brother!"

"Yes, my lady!"

9. cranston

cranston Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Thanks for the new chapter. I always find the wait for the next release nigh unbearable.

And this is just a personal peeve of mine, but I shudder at improper usages of your majesty vs your highness.
    You majesty is reserved for kings and queens.
    Princes and princesses are referred to as your highness.

10. eharper256

Reading List:
    Link
    Ah, see, you learn something new every day. I actually didn't know that. I'll try to keep it in mind from now on.

11. eharper256

Reading List:
    Link
    CHAPTER 126
    MYSTERY ARRIVAL

With a flash, suddenly we arrive.

Where?

This place is a circular, vaulted chamber. White sand covers the floor, and the heat is palpable. Streams of light cascade down from a set of hexagonal skylights, illuminating the swirling dust and sand we've kicked up from our entrance.

Seria mops her brow, looking around quizzically like the rest of us.

"We have come... mmmm... quite a way south, going by how much warmer it is." She muses.

"So, we have left Jeraldine entirely?" Rishya asks.

"Kethshire Dell?" Aria wonders.

"I wonder." Seria flicks a twin-tail. "Honestly... I had no idea what I was doing towards the end there. Nothing frustrates me more than following instructions by rote without understanding precisely what I am doing."

With a shing, Kiku vaults up suddenly and draws a sword, looking shocked and paranoid. I notice Kaede has vanished as well.

"Wot... eh wot? Where!? I..." she chitters.

"You're okay. That's a relief." I pat her helmeted head.

"Nii..."

I look at the space next to her as well.

"You can come out Kaede. You haven't lost you memory again, I hope."

"..."

A ninja appears in a shimmer, looking bashful.

"How did you see me, Nii-sama?"

It was a lucky guess to be honest; but let’s not say that. I simply smile at her.

She blushes, fidgets, and looks away.

As for the other one...

Yep, Kali is apparently alive as well, but she's just snoring gently on a mound of heated sand, having rolled into a ball like shape whilst drooling slightly over her gauntlets.

We all let out a chuckle.

After waking up the lazybones, we explained a summary of what occurred in the void.

"Shit... I was completely hopeless again. I was asleep on the job!" Kiku is frustrated and stomping again.

"I wouldn't say that. It seems like your sword has become part of Aeris. So, you've been protecting me all this time, Kiku."

I proffer her the sword I now have.

Aeris giggles as Kiku takes her, making her go wide-eyed.

"Um... she's a fine blade. Very beautiful."

For sure. I'm not a weapon connoisseur by any means, but Aeris is quite a lovely looking tool of destruction. Widening at the haft and then fluting to an elegant point. A hilt resembling a V shape, with small jewels, red on one end, and blue on the other, like her eyes. A simple handle and pommel with a soft velvet grip. The blade is dark steel but seems to shine like quicksilver when it catches the light.

Kiku does a practice attack. A simple diagonal cut into a thrust and a backswing follow-up, and then nods approvingly.

"Hehehe. You can use a sword, unlike master-sama."

Kiku laughs at the swords comment.

I give Aeris the stinkeye but can't exactly refute her.

"Eh wot... um... I was going to teach him eventually. But there's not been much time so far, has there?" She smiles at me, and hands Aeris back.

"I can certainly feel that child in... Aeris-chan. Treat her well, Nii. Feed her plenty of blood. A blade will never betray you if you do."

Aeris giggles again as I take her back. I blink slightly. That was a rather macabre statement from Kiku. With her cuteness, it’s easy to forget she herself is a honed and dangerous swordsman sometimes.

"This place... feels home similar, Aniki. Is why Kali sleep nicely."

Kali is stretching and yawning widely still. I don't think she was paying much attention to Seria and Aria giving their account of the void.

I suppose it does give the impression of some kind of desert dungeon.

"Mmmm... the S'tavi live underground, do they not? So, I guess that makes sense." Seria nods.

"Is rightness. Too hot in desert day to live on sand. Many big scorpions too. Kali had to punch many on way to city."

That’s certainly a strange image.

"Should we look around, Nii-sama?" Kaede asks.

Yeah... whilst it was important to update everyone whilst there were no immediate threats, now I guess it’s turning to procrastination.

"Yes, let’s go." I nod.

"I wonder why that void spirit thought we had to come here?" Aria says.

"I guess we'll soon see, Arry." Rishya assures her.

"Um... the big question is... how do we get out, though?" Kiku looks around quizzically.

It’s true. There are no obvious doors or stairs. The skylights are way out of reach unless Seria can fly again here like she did in the void.

"Mmm... I get the feeling there is some kind of magical puzzle here. For there to be a leyline connecting here, even as concealed as it was, we must assume it is still plausible to randomly appear here. Under that assumption, one must also conclude this appearance is a deception of sorts, a means to make this location appear pointless."

"That's quite a jump of logic, Seria-sama." Rishya cocks her head.

"Is it, though? It seems just the thing for an annoying old mage type to try, fufufufu..." She laughs.

"Spoken from experience, of course." I snicker.

"Quite so, boy." She grins.

Bloody wizards.

"So... what would you do here, then, Seria?"

"Mmmmm... something proving magical aptitude... but not precluding specialists."

She strolls into the centre.

Suddenly, thunder spirits, small zap like motes of electricity, appear around her.

And with a massive clang, something like a mechanism activates in the walls.

The floor gradually starts to fissure in certain places around her, making everyone wary.

But its quickly apparent that a spiral staircase has revealed itself, going down into the sandy abyss.

I guess that’s the entrance, then.

12. eharper256

Reading List:
    Link
    CHAPTER 127
    THE LAST GUARDIAN

We start to descend the spiral stairs, down which there is still white sand gradually pouring in waves.

The skylights continue to illuminate the stairs for some time. I wonder how, but it seems the whole setup has mirrors that amplify the light shafts. Interesting.

Shortly after around a hundred stairs, we are greeted by a monolithic iron door set into the stone.

There are no obvious handles or even knockers.

"I'm guessing this is another test." Aria sighs.

'Unn... its asleep...' Aeris comments, rather strangely, in my head.

Asleep? The door has a spirit, then?

Can you wake it? I question in my head, putting my hand to her hilt.

She giggles.

'Oi! Sleepyhead!' She shouts suddenly. I jump in alarm, but I don't think anyone else heard this.

It feels as though there was some subtle resonance in my palm though. Some special way metal spirits communicate? I wonder?

'What... ugh... what a racket.' Comes a response in a gruff, gravelly voice. 'Oh! It’s time to open at last!? Mortals for the first time in 596 years, 45 days, and 12 hours!'

'You've been here that long? Poor thing...' Aeris sounds remorseful.

'Oh no, its fine. I spent quite a while counting the grains of sand. Then I tried bending on my hinges to make interesting noises for a few years. That was fun. Oh, and making swirly patterns!'

'You're a mad old man!' Aeris exclaims.

'Aeris that's rude.' I snicker to myself. 'Imagine what you would do for fun if you were a door for that long.'

I get a feeling of sadness, and then blind panic from her.

'...no way! Don't wanna be a door! Please don't make me into a door master-sama! I'll be good! I will!'

I laugh out loud and the girls stare at me.

"What's funny, onii-chan?" Aria gets an eye-twitch.

"Ah right. Sorry. Aeris is talking to the door." I explain.

"Mmm... right... the boy has a metal spirit now." Seria grumbles. "How could I forget already... I must be going senile."

"You can talk to doors now, Aniki?" Kali cocks her head, looking confused.

"Weren't you paying attention when I explained this, Kali?" Seria sighs.

"Tee-hee. Nope!" She tries the whole fist to forehead, tongue out cuteness attempt that Aria often fails at.

Aria chops her on the head and I laugh again.

'Anyway. You gonna open?' Aeris doesn't sound impressed with the door or the antics going on. I can imagine her puffing out her cheeks.

'Oh right. Opening. How does that go again...? Hmmm...'

Suddenly there is a clanking of gears and machinery from somewhere, and the doors clank open widely all at once... and then promptly fall of their hinges in a squeal of rust, blowing up a cloud of dust and sand that makes us all cough.

"Well... that’s one way to make an entrance, nii-sama." Kaede coughs.

'Oh my. I don't think that was supposed to happen. I've fallen and I can't get up... ah... but...'

'You silly old fart!' Aeris rebukes the poor door.

It remains silent, though.

'Oi... you...' Aeris queries.

Still silent.

Funnily enough, the entire collapsed door then suddenly rusts rapidly as if hundreds of years just caught up with it all at once, much like that giant mace we avoided in Sandy Shore once.

'No way... I killed him.' Aeris sounds sad.

Hmmm... is that how it is?

"I think perhaps he could move on now. He'd done his final duty. It’s not your fault." I pat the sword hilt affectionately.

Oh... I said that out loud, didn't I?

"Mmm... it was an old spirit, I take it?" Seria cocks her head.

"It said it hadn't seen a mortal in nearly six hundred years."

Seria raises an eyebrow.

"Out of interest, boy, ask your spirit how long she's been around."

Huh? I'm guessing there is something she wants to confirm. She has that investigative expression.

'Aeris, how long have you been alive?'

'Three years!' She replies, chipper.

Huh. What...

Seria grins.

"Fufufu... your expression tells me everything, boy. Metal spirits have a very screwy perception of time. Master was never able to figure it out. Thunder spirits aren't much better, so I imagine Aeris said something peculiar."

"Hmm... so you think it’s been waiting longer than six hundred years?"

Seria nods, flicking a twin-tail over her shoulder.

"Um... in any case... what's inside?" Kiku asks.

Yes, let’s move on.

After a short corridor, the passage opens out into a grand entryway.

Frankly, it’s something else. Enough for a cartoony jaw-drop.

Black and white marble tiles, impressive Greco Romanesque pillars, and glistening bronze statues of heroic looking men and women flanking a central raised walkway that has channels of water running down alongside it.

Planted trees in neat rows lie further behind. They are orchard-like Mizris and Histmunch trees... but they are absolutely massive, towering at least ten feet above my head, and brimming with fist sized fruits.

And the water channels end in a fountain type apparatus... but the water itself flows up into a swirling, floating vortex, that is suspended mid-air and appears to be entirely ignoring gravity. It loops around in intricate patterns like a ball of watery twine.

A watery sculpture.

Just being here seems strangely pleasant.

"Hah... what extraordinarily pure magic power." Rishya comments, looking strangely content.

"Just what is this palace-like place!?" Aria exclaims.

Seria suddenly drops onto her knees.

"Surely not... just what were you... Thanatos? Were you... it couldn't be? Why? I don't..." she mutters to herself.

I put a hand on her shoulder and she looks up wistfully.

"What is it?" I ask.

She blinks repeatedly and gapes at me like a fish, as though chewing her words.

"It... it is likely the most distant memory I have stored... but it is as distinct as my own childhood. There can be no mistake."

She closes her eyes.

"Boy... this... this... this is the sanctuary of the first sage..."

Last edited: May 15, 2018
  13. eharper256

Reading List:
    Link
    CHAPTER 128
    MAGIC GODS

Rishya looks incredulously at Seria for a moment, but then cocks her head and shrugs, apparently having come to a conclusion.

"So... Seria-sama, that sounds mad... but then, I know you realise that already. So... you wouldn't just say something like that as a jest. And this place IS old. And very magical. And very posh. Even by my standards." Rishya reasons, ticking off her fingers.

"And are there are any watersculptors still alive? I was taught they were all executed by the last emperor. Melody always thought it was such a loss; and wanted to be able to do what they did one day. If she was awake, I bet she'd love to see this thing! She'd study it for days!" Aria grins.

"Um... this place is pretty amazing! Who are these statues?" Kiku spins around the columns and statues excitedly.

"The gods, yes? Their human shapes... when they took them?" Kaede nods.

Right... Kaede always was good at identifying them for some reason.

"They are actually the first of each of the sages." Seria suddenly stands up and strolls urgently over to one of them.

"This is the first thunder sage. Kinah Arkemewer..."

"Wait... whaaaaaatttt?" Rishya squeals, dashing over.

"Uh... so wait. I'm dumb and I don't get it." Aria scrunches her brows.

Oh boy. I get it.

"Seria has just said that the gods were... are... the first sages." I say.

Aria suddenly gapes like a goldfish.

"Aniki... this religion things it is?" She snaps her fingers. "Right... silly kingdom people worshipped people. False gods, mother always did say. But then mother also say Meenaora false god too. Kali thinks not really any gods. Just people and spirits and demons. Yuuzu didn't like Kali talking about this, so never did much." Kali snickers, flexing a gauntlet.

"Naturally Yuuzu would have hated that! She was quite faithful to Sendervil. Uh... more than me for sure... I... I guess I always knew my power came from Michael. But... many light mages are pious to the Light God. Sage. Uh... hells... whatever..." Rishya grimaces and she sounds frustrated.

Seria grins. "Fufufu... whilst in essence, it is not wrong to feel all light magic came from Sendervil... it did... in a way... Kaliasta has the right of it. Mmmm... but it’s a funny thing. Whenever were all those temples set up? Whenever were the inquisitors active?"

"Um... during the empire?" Kiku suggests.

"Ding ding! Right on, Kiku. The empire invented the religion of worshipping the gods around six hundred years ago. It was a nice way to keep such a large population in line. Especially with the whole champions, and the arenas, and benevolent actions of the temples in their names."

"So... uh... it’s all a big lie?" Aria is rubbing her forehead.

"With truth in there, of course. Like all the best lies and legends." I say.

"Mmmm... strangely, though... it vexes me... but I have never made the connection until just now." Seria continues. She goes on tiptoes and puts a hand to the face of the handsome bronze man with curled hair carrying a stylised lightning bolt. For some reason it makes me feel jealous.

"Until seeing the face of an older self, cast here in bronze. It is... the memories of our older selves... in them... the older sages themselves... their looks... they are always indistinct. I always did wonder about it. I once came to the conclusion it was a safety measure of sorts. For the most current sage to not descend into madness viewing old memories not their own, their own personal appearance and personality becomes sacred. The old ones are pushed aside as a function of the Path Down. Who knows if that is really the truth now, though?"

"So... Seria-sama is the descendant of a god, yes?" Kaede asks, half in jest by her tone.

Seria snorts and bursts out in a sniggering, howling laugh.

"Hahhhaaa haaa... oh gods... my sides... ah no... I am definitely the daughter of a whore and a plantation slave." She laughs, casually dropping the bomb she delivered to me some time ago.

All the other girls look incredulous again, except Kaede.

Right... she was probably listening that one time when Seria expounded her history to me. I can't remember. I was kinda distracted at the time by those lovely eyes.

"Ha! I do like people’s reactions to that one when..."

Suddenly she catches my eye and blushes, stuttering all of a sudden. I laugh to myself.

"Ahem... most people’s reactions to that one is always comical. It’s true though, my friends. I'm an old bat that lived during the empire, remember? I escaped during the rebellion. Nearly croaked it. And through some insane moment of luck, who was the one to rescue a wretch like this if not the previous Sage of Thunder, Velour Lathandel? My Master. Who granted me the name Seria Sesshouin. 'The Shackles in Flight', I later learned it means in Ancient Tessalatorian. An ironic name for a thing that was previously just 'Eri', a slave, right?"

Kiku suddenly bursts out in tears and runs and hugs Seria.

Seria looks shocked but then smiles gently and rubs the red helm that has buried itself in her chest. I laugh and give her a thumbs-up.

"Fufufufu... another one that’s sad for me... you lot are all idiots. Especially the boy." She rolls her eyes. But I notice her expression is still gentle and she seems pleased.

"Hah... oh my... it really is a moment for Seria-sama giving us completely un-needed information isn't it?" Rishya grins, patting her chest with a wobble.

"Every story needs an occasional expositional plot dump." I snicker.

"I have no idea what that is, Elijah-sama, but could you please refrain from talking about excrement in the presence of ladies. Really... hmmph!" She huffs.

"The rest of this place is vying to be explored, yes?" Kaede notes.

True enough.

14. eharper256

Reading List:
    Link
    SIDE KO2
    MAID IN HEAVEN?

We break into a dash and smash into a defensive line that has been setup here. Fortunately, the demons here were not expecting an attack from behind, an advantage we have been continually capitalising on the last few battles.

We have joined up with the men I sent ahead as well as a dozen isolated palace guardsmen. Overall, my training regimen has not gone to waste after all, they have held up well. There is still a heart rending number of casualties, though, and the chaos meant they were hardly in optimal positions. We also have joined up with three other knights who have survived. Ser Robas, Ser Walt, and Ser Cera. Two retirees and a freshly knighted lass, but better than nothing. Jeraldine knights do have a long tradition of martial excellence even way before my time, after all, harkening back to the master legion of the empire.

The line is quickly destroyed. We're almost there.

I hope father is okay. Truthfully, I doubt anyone can defeat him, even that ridiculous demon champion.

But that mustn't be on my mind now, our first thought must only be the king.

We make it finally to the royal wing. I instruct the guards to stay here, and the knights come inside with us.

If everything went by the plan, the evacuation should have proceeded here. If it worked, we can mostly breathe easy. There is only one entrance and this entire part of the building is magically warded too, we can...

"Leanne!" Melody suddenly screams.

Oh no.

Melody's own body practically turns to water in her rush to belt down the corridor to where a bloodied maid lies, propped up against a wall, missing an arm, and not far from a smouldering pile of ashes and bones that I believe were once among other maid staff.

"My lady. I am terribly sorry to report that I... hak... ack..."

"Be quiet you silly old bat! You'll kill yourself!" Melody shouts at her nanny.

Actually, I was wrong, she isn't propped up against the wall. There is actually a huge three-klecksel tall shuriken holding her up, one of its blades stabbed into the ground.

Part of the wall, and floor, is ruined, and the scorched pile... there was a large explosion of some sorts here. It instantly killed three of these maids, incinerating them utterly.

Leanne managed to somehow dodge at the last second, but still lost her arm, and impacted up against the wall at high speed, given the blood caking her normally pristine blue hair, which is not in its usual side-tail.

This is because Leanne has used her hair ribbons as a tourniquet. Some quick thinking.

It’s weird, though. I thought the old lady preferred a fencing sword. From where and whence did this large shuriken come?

Well... I guess it doesn't matter now...

Melody is desperately attempting to soothe Leanne's terrible wounds.

"No! Not now!" Melody suddenly staggers backwards and vomits away from Leanne. Not very becoming of a princess… but…

So that means that she is out of magic power again, then? Indeed, that is some truly awful timing, but even with the Elixir from father, she has used an extraordinarily huge amount today, both before and after we came inside the palace. Frankly, it is heroic of her to not have passed out ten times already.

"Don't worry about me... I will live a bit longer yet..." Leanne says. "I will not allow this this body to fail... yet."

"Leanne..." Melody cries, wiping vomit from her chin.

"Go... the legacy... I mean... Legato... your father... your brother... get to them... go! There are... only three demons... I got... the others..."

"Go, stupid Mel... go!"

Melody snorts and sucks in her tears as she nods with an ugly expression marring her beauty, and looks over at me and the knights. There is a pleading look in her eyes. I nod, understanding, though honestly, I don't know what I can do for this woman. Melody then stands and dashes off.

I nod to the three knights and send them in pursuit of Melody. She'll be reckless now, and she's practically powerless. Though I'm not much better, with an exhausted spirit and a bent greatsword.

As I approach Leanne and crouch down to her, she grabs me with her functioning arm.

"You know... I can see... but pay it no mind, if you will, Ser Arnas. Save the boy, if you can. If not... the youngest girl... protect... promise..."

"I swear on my honour." I say without hesitation.

She manages a slight smile, exhales, and then the light fades suddenly from her eyes.

Melody was blind to it, but I've been around enough nearly dead mercenaries to have expected as much. Sad as it is.

I feel a shiver all over as I stare into her blank eyes. Strange.

Yes... for some reason, I don't think she was the Leanne I once knew. Or whom Melody knew much better than I. But I don't think this woman, whoever she was, meant harm. Perhaps.

So, I will honour her wish, her last facade to the princess, and her sacrifice. At the very least.

I let the hand slip back away, close the woman's eyes, and stand up.

I hope I can save someone today, at least.

15. eharper256

Reading List:
    Link
    CHAPTER 129
    FLIRTING WITH FALSEHOODS

We cross beyond the water sculpture and the statues. To either side of the large trees, there are two arches leading into another grand chamber. If the previous area was a decorative garden of sorts, this would be the main hall of a home.

Not like a manor house, no central staircase to a landing or anything, like I saw in the Mullight estate, but rather more like what one would expect from a Romanesque villa. Less big columns, but certainly an equivalent amount of mosaic floor.

And a centrally positioned giant stone bath, with steaming water pouring from the heads of strange looking statues. Huh.

"Part of me has become rather conscious of how sweaty I am right now." Aria moans.

"It’s quite a bath isn't it? I want to strip and get in right now!" Rishya chuckles, getting the stinkeye from Aria.

"Mmm... whilst the boy would doubtlessly appreciate that, it is probably not the time... at least not right ~now~, fufufu..." Seria laughs with her, however.

"You two have become serious perverts, yes? It makes me envious..." Kaede says something absurd.

"Um... but bathing together is... um... nice... so I can... understand... eh wot! What am I saying! Uuuuu...." Kiku covers her face.

"I would say we're not here for messing around, but that would make me a hypocrite. So, I'll get it out the way: I would love a mixed bathing session." I sigh and grin awkwardly.

The girls all laugh.

"Aniki is straight with desires for sugar as usual. Much entertaining!" Kali giggles.

"Ahem. Priorities. Mine are darn straight!" I exclaim.

I get a straight to the point punch to the gut from Aria though. I cough and bend in a V shape.

"Ah... thank the gods it works again!" She exclaims. "Even though I can't disagree with the sentiment personally, I can't stand by and let that perverted expression exist in the world!"

"You're just jealous Kiku and I had a bath first, right, Arry?" Rishya laughs behind a hand.

"S-Shut up!" She growls.

"Fufufufu... this ~IS~ entertaining, but my memory is itching for me to enter this place. I feel there is something important here."

I finish coughing something up and look up to see Seria has wondered over past the bath; and has planted her hand on a metal portcullis.

"Boy, can your spirit speak to this one as well?" She queries.

'Aeris?' I realise she has been quiet.

'Eli-sama does like jumping around in water spirits with girl shapes? Very strange.' She suddenly thinks in my head.

I cough again involuntarily. I shouldn't be teaching children these things (even spirit children). But wait, that’s probably hypocrisy as well? Urk... well... ahem!

'Aeris, can you speak with that gate?' I project in the sternest tone I can manage; as I grasp her hilt firmly. If one can think sternly? Is it even possible?

'Ah!? What? Yes! Yes... which what why? Oh... gate... yes...'

Apparently, I can. She was shocked out of her reverie for sure.

I feel that strange vibration in my hand again.

"Uh... hello!" She shouts.

There is a pause.

"HELLO!" She shouts louder, also making my hand numb from the buzzing sensation.

"Oh... Michael heard that strange buzz. Was that Aeris, Elijah-sama?" Rishya suddenly says.

"Uh, yes. She was shouting at the gate." I nod.

"Shouting, huh, mmmm..." Seria remarks, pondering something.

'No good, Eli-sama. It’s dead. Or deaf. Or pretty stupid. Or not metal maybe?'

"It’s no good. She says its dead, or deaf." I relay.

"Should I break it, then?" Aria wanders over.

"It pains me to break a place such as this when we were invited. Just a moment." Seria stares daggers at the portcullis. "Shouting..."

"That makes me wonder. Spirits can talk to each other and we are ignorant of this. That they may talk to us but half of humanity... more... simply has no idea. I was fortunate to talk to mine, really. We could learn a lot, if only we could communicate, I think." Rishya wonders out loud.

"Um... isn't that the case with all relationships?" Kiku says, glancing around shiftily.

I think Seria really is influencing Rishya recently. Their... uh... bonding session with me probably didn't help for sure, though. Kiku as well.

"Ah! Of course!" Seria suddenly says, having a eureka moment.

Then her eyes glow golden. Using her special sage goggles again? Haven't seen that in a while.

"Fufufufu... no wonder your spirit cannot speak to it." She nods. "This gate is a deception."

'Eh? It is? It looks like a metal friend!?' Aeris suddenly exclaims in my head. 'But wait... no... Seryamerya is right... is a memory? A ghost!' Aeris titters to herself.

"Now she says it’s a ghost." I relay again.

"Close enough I guess. Fufufu... I changed my mind, Aria. Can you tear it off its hinges?" Seria grins in a kind of scary way.

Aria squints at Seria suspiciously.

"Don't worry. It's honestly what this place wants now. Trust me."

"Hah... I don't like that expression either, Seria, but if I punch you like I did Elijah, it'll probably knock you out. Hah... well, doubtless I'll regret this..."

She holds her spear at her side, widens her legs in a brace and grabs at the bars with her left hand.

As she does... the gate shimmers into nothingness, and suddenly Aria glows a strange ethereal light for a second.

"Urk!" She looks sick for a second.

"I knew it..." she begins to groan.

Then something odd happens. For a brief moment, she is overlaid with a different image.

Still herself... but not. Longer haired, more glamourous, older. Very similar to what happened to Seria in the void, but considerably bustier... yikes!

It’s only an instant, but I certainly got an eye-full of fanservice.

"What the heck!?" She exclaims.

Seria nods and cackles as if this was the expected result, just as Aria resumes her loli form.

"Yes. We see several of the things we have learnt recently suddenly in practice. Your blessing has absorbed the light spirit. Reminded it of its true form, and then assimilated it." She taps her cheek.

"Um... I don't get it... it wasn't there?" Kiku looks confused.

"An illusion spell? I guess mirage things of normally come under light magic!" I exclaim, my inner genre savvy rearing its head.

"Mmm... I do not understand what 'ee-loo-shun' is. But I guess that is an otherworldly term for what happens when a spirit lies to itself. Or in this case, was hypnotised into thinking it was metal until Aria's powerful light spirit reminded it of its true form. A most peculiar technique, a trick revealed by the fact that it did not know how to communicate with a fellow metal spirit, mmm?" Seria explains. "In any case, we spend a long-time puzzling over doors, don't we? But I feel perhaps we are now close. Let us proceed."

She swishes her cape and twintails dramatically and walks through the now blank archway.

Aria still looks perturbed, so I pat her shoulder.

"I'm fine. It was just... ah... it was nothing." She shakes her head and grimaces.

I squint at her. But if she says so. She'll talk about in time, right? Let’s carry on.

16. eharper256

Reading List:
    Link
    And Aria briefly got an illusory older form this time, eh? Something like this...
    [​IMG]
    How Gallant!! ♥(ˆ⌣ˆԅ)
    I wonder what Seria was cackling about, though?

17. eharper256

Reading List:
    Link
    CHAPTER 130
    THE CIRCLE OF UNRAVELLING

We go past what was once the portcullis of light.

There is a staircase leading further downwards, but it doesn't go on long. It soon erupts into a vaulted chamber that makes me instantly feel a chill upon entering.

I shiver involuntarily. I then realise Seria was looking over her shoulder at me in that moment. She grins.

"Fufufufu... this may have more use than I first anticipated."

I wonder what she means?

This chamber is vaulted, with pillars creeping along the walls and advancing up a curved ceiling to meet in the centre. It is entirely different sort of design to the rest of the place and envisages the interior of a turtle shell or exoskeleton. It almost feels organic rather than architectural.

And below us, highlighting the entire place in an eerie, sickly green light, is perhaps the most elaborate magical formation I have ever seen.

It covers every inch of the main floor, which we are raised from on some kind of catwalk.

It is so complex and chaotic that it actually makes my eyes swim and ache, trying to take it all in. I actually give up trying because of the vertigo it induces.

"Eh wot... wot is this?" Kiku asks for me.

"Big fat magic!" Kali giggles.

Seria looks smug.

"Quite. This is a circle of unravelling. It decodes all of the spiritual influences in the area perfectly and ensures a 100% efficient conversion of power for spells. One of these is also in the base of my tower, but this one is far larger and encompasses all of the spirit types, rather than just Thunder Spirits."

"I have no idea what you just said, but it means it’s important, right?" Aria looks confused.

"Indeed. The first sage was mad, but he was truly a genius. This thing was thought lost by many of us Sages. It just adds to the mysteries, though. This place has been fine, maintained even, for centuries. So why was it hidden away from us, deliberately concealed, like this?" Seria ponders.

"And who exactly ~IS~ maintaining it, Seria-sama?" Rishya questions.

Seria shrugs, and there is a moments silence.

"More importantly though, I dared to hope to find this maintained as well." She turns to grin at me again. "The boy reacted to it. And that is fantastic!" She claps her hands together delightedly.

"Uh... ok, I'll bite. Why is it fantastic?" I ask.

"Mmmm... well boy, if you can walk the circle of unravelling, your entire magical being will be rewritten, and made stronger. I don't doubt it will grant Aeris strength as well." She closes her eyes, and nods sagely.

"There is a catch, yes?" Kaede looks wary.

"Fufufu... when is there not?" Seria sighs. "It is not called 'unravelling' for no reason. Remaking your magical sources is intense, painful, and if you're not prepared, ultimately fatal."

So; it’s a Zelazny Pattern. Ultimate power of order (or chaos?) behind a gate of potential death.

The other girls all look serious and worried at this, and I can't help but gulp slightly myself.

"Nevertheless, an opportunity like this is just what you were after, isn't it, boy?" She smiles, sweetly this time.

I ruffle her head instinctively, as she really has started to take my needs to heart, hasn't she?

She makes a good point, for sure. It makes alot of sense.

"Ok. I'll do it." I nod.

"Mmmm... I am of mind to do it myself as well. My own powers are currently at a hard limit. And this may be the only way for an old bat like myself to progress." She cackles.

"What about me and Arry, Seria-sama? And the others?"

"You may plausibly try. Though I wouldn't recommend it. You and the princess still have much room to grow and massive potential. And there are a handful of instances of those without spirits trying unravelling. When it works... you might find yourselves with a powerful spirit, for sure. But the risks are vastly, vastly higher. I’d guess around eight out of ten of these cases ends up disintegrated or mental vegetables."

"Eh! Kali prefers sausage to vegetable, swishy magic not good for punches anyway!" Kali laughs.

"Um... I also know that dispelling technique now so... it’s not a good plan for me either, right?" Kiku sighs.

"I will do it, yes." Kaede says.

What?

"Whaaaat?" Aria shouts.

Kaede shrugs.

"Master was also a very strong Earth Mage. And a couple of my fellows were Fire and Wood mages respectively. Spirits apparently do not conflict with the Jutsu techniques."

"They ~are~ truly mysterious, these techniques, fufufu... well, I won't stop you if you are determined. Our tests bef... ah, right." She swishes back a twin-tail. "Ahem. I will go first, however. If I am disintegrated, when I have the highest chance of making it, I hope you will heed that as a warning that there is something wrong with the process and not follow."

She gives a sad smile.

"What is the process?" I ask.

"Truly it is simple. You start there. And you follow the lines."

"But... aren't there loads of branches and intersections? Where is the end? Which..." Rishya goes into a flap, looking between me and the circle anxiously.

She's really worried for me now, eh? That's really sweet.

"As you reach them, you shall know, yes?" Kaede says.

Seria eyes her suspiciously.

"Mmmm... quite so. The end is different for everyone. As is the journey." She says, tentatively.

"Much likely life." Kali adds.

Seria stretches like a cat, cracking some bones briefly as she raises her arms above her and squats. Then she moves over to the start point she indicated before. Apparently, she's going straight away. I follow behind her.

"Hah... what the hell am I doing at my age?" She mutters under her breath.

I hug her from behind, making her jump and squirm.

"Make sure you win, Eri." I whisper.

I'm not saying anything about coming back alive. That's just a death flag.

She peers back at me.

"I will. You're not helping me stay calm though, idiot." She grins and sticks out her tongue.

I let her go.

She takes in a deep breath, and steps forwards...

18. eharper256

Reading List:
    Link
    CHAPTER 131
    LIMIT BREAKER

Nothing happens.

However, she nods, seemingly expecting this.

She takes another step, and another.

At the first junction, she turns right. Left, right, right, forwards, left, and so on, her speed and momentum seemingly growing with each step, and her strangely circular progress seeming quite maddening from my perspective. It's a literal case of two steps forward, one step backwards in many of these junctions as she circles round and round the magic formation.

I realise now that her spirit has appeared again, and she is holding the sparkling diamond thing close to her chest. As she walks, the green light of the chamber intensifies continually. Sparks start to fly whenever she takes a step, and the next time she faces me, she appears singed all over and grimacing, but doesn't make eye contact.

In fact, her eyes are glowing golden again at this point, and her twin tails and cape are flapping furiously, as if caught in a strong wind.

'This is a scary thing. Seryamerya is scared. I can tell. We have to do that as well? Really? But Aeris is a child! I...'

'You're a child when its convenient for you, eh?' I chuckle. 'Life is full of scary things, Aeris. How you deal with that fear shapes a lot about a person.'

'Shapes? Like girl shapes?'

'Heh... yeah... like girl shapes. Running from them isn't always bad. But sometimes, you have to face them head on.'

'And kiss them?' She giggles.

I laugh. I'm really a bad father to this spirit. She's learning some terrible things.

Seria starts to clearly struggle now, as if trying to walk against a tide. Each step of hers sets aflame now, and her spirit is glowing prismatically. Lightning shocks ground out around her continuously.

I then have to shield my eyes, as a nova-like flash goes off, with an ear-splitting bang. White smoke appears out of nowhere and makes us all cough. My ears pop and all I can hear is a whine. Like a flashbang and a smoke grenade going off all at once.

Then a shockwave erupts, knocking us all over. I fall on my ass as usual. Sadly, I am stood away from the newly formed pile of girls.

Unlike the previous time when this happened in the Sandy Shore Temple, however, there is no clothes tearing and panic, and the girls surprisingly disentangle themselves with ease.

"Um... did she make it?" Kiku looks worried as she readjusts her cuirass and comes up to me. We can't see much of the circle at the moment.

I look on anxiously as the smoke clears.

There is no-one there.

"Oh gods! She's... gone..." Aria exclaims, looking teary eyed.

Kaede's brows furrow, Rishya looks panicked, and Kali flexes her fist continuously.

She can't be dead, surely? Not just like that. I held her merely hours ago... surely... surely!

'No! Master! Seryamerya is!' Aeris shouts.

There is suddenly the most crazy insane blast of bright white lightning you ever could imagine, a bolt nearly three-foot-wide and with thousands of tracers explodes into the middle of the chamber, accompanied by the sonic boom of something accelerating to Mach 6 in an instant. My ears whine again.

Then, like something straight from the Terminator, a naked Seria, long hair loose and billowing, in a near foetal position, appears from nothingness, and lands, fist down in a squat, as zaps of electricity coil out from her.

She raises her head, and her eyes flash with golden thunderbolts before swirling and settling back into their natural rich colour of chocolate.

Then, a strange looking new set of clothes and cloak appears, covering her up. She appears to regain her rusty old neck chain as well. Of all the things to re-create... but I guess it’s an ingrained part of her identity, isn't it?

She then appears to levitate, and gradually float over from the central part of the circle. She's gone a bit less overtly fanservicey in her new incarnation and appears to have settled on a mildly older version too. Not the eighteen-year-old supermodel look, but neither the eleven-year-old standard Seria. Probably more like thirteen now, I'd say. And she's gained a very witch-like robe-dress with appropriate archmage-class huge shoulder-pads. No pointy hat, though.

'I am returned to you now as Seria the White!' Is not what she says. She's very much in a black outfit anyway... But I think it and can't suppress a hearty chuckle.

"Do I look strange boy?!" She looks anxious as looks over herself.

"Nope, sorry, I was just thinking of something funny." I snicker.

She grumbles and looks cross as she lands at the starting point once more.

"Ahem... well, do I give you congratulations? From our perspective, you disappeared for nearly a minute, had me rather worried, in fact..." I huff.

I return her cross expression, and she gapes.

"I... I was gone? Hmm..."

"I suppose it seemed instant to you?" I grin.

That's the standard scenario in these situations, isn't it?

"Mmmm... yes... quite. Still, I believe it was a success. Hah... I am exhausted, though. It appears the unmaking also drains you of all your power. Perhaps I will try a few things when I have had some rest... that is the only way to be sure." She says.

"Still, some things are already different, Seria-sama." Rishya says as she comes up to us.

"You're bigger and actually wearing something, for one!" Aria laughs.

"Yes, I thought so, fufufu... it seems there was a big contradiction there which has now settled."

"Um... a contradiction...?" Kiku asks.

Seria nods and grins a predatory grin.

"You were aware I was in flux in the void, mmm? My age reflects my original form when I was made a Sage. But part of my psyche was concerned over my juvenile appearance of late. The boy's fault of course, fufufu..."

"But you're cute regardless." I say, shrugging.

She snorts.

"Which is why I have apparently settled in this version. I have become such a goof that I turned down a proper adult form during my unmaking just because I care for the boy's abhorrent preferences. Hah..."

The other girls burst out in laughter.

Well, that's surely something. She deliberately chose the in-between stage... all for me? How wonderful! Subarashii!!

I pat her on the head and she smiles.

Surely, I'm blessed.

Well, I guess I'm up next myself, aren't I?

19. eharper256

Reading List:
    Link
    And here's Limit Break Seria!
    [​IMG]
    Combining the best features of her loli and adult versions, and gaining a new outfit. XD

20. eharper256

Reading List:
    Link
    Hi All,

Unfortunately I have to announce that yesterday I was hit by burglary, and in the process my phone was robbed. The next two chapters were on my phone sadly as I wrote them at work on Friday, and they were not yet backed up to my PC's word document.

As you might imagine, I will have to try to recall the content and re-write it from scratch, and I'm also dealing with the aftermath of the burglary. So the next chapter, which I was going to put up yesterday, will likely be delayed by some time, apologies for this. Hope you'll all stick around!

Who steals a loli, I mean really? (Except Elijah stealing loli's hearts, of course) XD