Discussion Translations & spicy bits

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Macrendil Ysmir, Jun 13, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Macrendil Ysmir

Macrendil Ysmir Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    So this is something I've seen before and I'm just pointing it out now, but it seems that quite a lot of translations like to cut out a lot of spicier paragraphs. Most recent example being Ch. 170 from Tranxending Vision but other novels have the same issue. MC and a girl have just kissed for the first time and it's heating up a little. Then the translator decides to cut out the whole description of the kiss and the heating up and jumps to the inevitable interuption. The jump ticked me off, so I went straight to lnmtl and behold! 3-4 paragraphs had been cut.

I get that Chinese laws place a lot of censure on certain words, which is where we get all these descriptions about twin peaks etc. But why censure something that the author didn't feel the need to safe-censure himself?

I just feel like it takes a lot away from character interaction and leaves us with more things to fill in the blanks for. And you're always wondering "did they or didn't they? " It's weird and annoying to me to place such needless censure because in my opinion, those censured paragraphs are often the leading event of the chapter and the starting point from certain following events.

So, what is your take on all this censure-bullcrap?

2. Blitz

Blitz ⛈️ awakened from the reverie❄️

Reading List:
    Link
    From what I heard there was a whole huge issue with censorship and SARFT so many authors had to go and edit their works. LNMTL may have an earlier uncensored version

3. elengee

elengee Daoist Ninefaps

Reading List:
    Link
    If they're going to translate a novel they should be aware of the content in advance and not mutilate it for the rest of us by not wanting to translate certain parts.

Westeller and Macrendil Ysmir like this.
  4. ReadOrDie

ReadOrDie already dead

Reading List:
    Link
    We need to make sure everything to be family friendly. The matter of bees and the birds could corrupt our children's mind. So we as a responsible adult should make sure the materials they get access to only include natural occurences such as murder, racism, and violence.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2018
  5. Megatron

Megatron Decepticon

Reading List:
    Link
    Censor laws. Same thing happened with Tales of the reincarnated lord. Qidian made the author go back and fix everything. he refused and quit now a good novel is on hiatus :(. So i'm guessing Raven got the edited version of TV and translated that

6. translationraven

translationraven Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Copy-pasting from my 'Translator thoughts' section on Wuxiaworld:

"Nothing racy was deleted, removed or otherwise censored in this chapter. It is how it is.

Official raw text from Zong Heng:

“你个傻瓜,你应该说出来的,你说呀。”梁思瑶的脸颊已经红了,她显得很紧张,很激动,很兴奋,很期待,很着急。

“我……”夏雷的舌头好像一条被打了结的绳子。

梁思瑶忽然凑了上去……

“思瑶,给我。”夏雷的声音发颤,激动得很。

梁思瑶轻咬着嘴唇,玉靥上,眉宇间一抹绯红,眼眸里也满是幸福和激动。夏雷的要求让她紧张,让她害怕,但她却点了点头。

她此刻的美,让人窒息。

“思瑶,晚饭呢?”梁正春的声音忽然从客厅里传来。

梁正春的声音就像是一股寒流,瞬间就将两人冻住了。"

Just censorship laws making your life hard (or not hard?).

Blitz and MangoGuy like this.
  7. MangoGuy

MangoGuy Rambling Mango

Reading List:
    Link
    Oh my God!!! So I was missing ero because my player was not playing the real deal??

I want my time back!

Wujigege likes this.
  8. Jigoku Shounen

Jigoku Shounen An Envoy From Hell

Reading List:
    Link
    It's not the Translator faults. It's from the publisher and the censorship laws, and from whichever version the translator got the raws from, and probably the edited version, while lnmtl got the pre-edited version.

9. LaDyViL

LaDyViL New Member Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Did you try asking the translator of the raw source they are using? Depending on the raw sources, some does not include the spicy scenes while some has always been cut off because the spicy parts are posted elsewhere such as author's Weibo. After a certain amount of time, the spicy scenes would be lost unless people collect them.

Of course, there's also the issue of legitimate raw source for licensed novels where the translator has to follow what their legitimate (official publisher's) content of that novel. If they are cut off, then they have to use the cut off parts regardless of their intent to perfect their translation. They can't be using pirates sources where the spicy parts are not cut off for their official (licensed) translations.

AliceShiki, asriu and readerz like this.
  10. rexzshadow

rexzshadow Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Most translator grab the raw from the official source, meaning if anything is censors it was censored in the raw already. Only reason the uncensored stuff get around is because people use pirate sites and pirate site take copy of the raw as they go up. So stuff that get censor later doesn't effect the pirate site.

11. rwxwuxiaworld

rwxwuxiaworld Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It's not even a matter of censorship. Many people are under the mistaken impression that a novel jumps out from the author's pen fully formed, like Athena from the head of Zeus. In reality, novels undergo a constant process of writing, rewriting, and editing which will see scenes, plot lines, and even entire characters be worked and reworked before a final version is released which is to the author's satisfaction. The pirate sites you are using just go off of v1.0, which is NOT the version the author wants his readers to see, for whatever reason. Best practices is for translators to go with the author's official version, not the initial unedited manuscript that was scraped and contains plot errors, typos, and all sorts of other things.

12. Macrendil Ysmir

Reading List:
    Link
    This does explain everything and I know authors (and translators) have tough jobs, especially when you take licensing and publishing into account. It's just one of the little things you usually don't bother complaining about but when you start noticing it more often and it happens again (while already being slightly grumpy for whatever reason) you just want to nag about it. I know it isn't the authors' fault and certainly not the translators' fault. Both are awesome people who provide us with leisurely entertainment. (And when I feel sometings off I can always do a quick check to satiate my spicy cravings)

13. Raizhee

Raizhee bubblegum bitch

Reading List:
    Link
    The internet is becoming more and more of a pg-13 place with all the censorship laws and crap.

14. Macrendil Ysmir

Reading List:
    Link
    I agree with that. OK, we wouldn't want full on nudity etc. everytime there's an add on youtube or something, but don't most censureship laws come reaaal close to oppressing freedom of speech and press?

Raizhee likes this.
  15. Raizhee

Raizhee bubblegum bitch

Reading List:
    Link
    Usually such ads are locked and available to accounts logged in that have an age of 18+ on youtube . I never got such thing when I was unlogged on it.

Ehhh that's basically what they are by the end of the day.
    Freedom of speech, freedom of w/e? They are all sugar coated jokes since you risk getting sued just for calling someone a thot nowadays because you're offending with your so called " freedom of speech."

16. Deleted member 110464

Deleted member 110464 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    This happened with These dangerous girls placed me into Jeopardy, but the translator managed to get some of the chapters with the spice. He had to continue with non spicy parts later on coz the h parts were paywalled or something.
    Well, he did say that there are gonna be cuts so at least we knew that there were some changes so we weren't in the dark.

Macrendil Ysmir likes this.
  17. Macrendil Ysmir

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah, I noticed that. It was going pretty well with the spices and then it dropped to lower frequency and less explicit. Still weird though that cutting of your own finger as well as necrophilia and the other disturbing stuff are perfectly fine to be gory and detailed, but God have mercy if a boy and a girl want to do more than hold hands!

18. Deleted member 110464

Deleted member 110464 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    Nothing can be lewder than this though:blobxd:

AliceShiki and Macrendil Ysmir like this.
  19. asriu

asriu fu~ fu~ fu~

Reading List:
    Link
    19656.png
    only 2 possibility
    cut by translator
    da raw used for chappy on question is like that

20. Tallion

Tallion Active Member

Reading List:
    Link