Discussion You should read Grasping Evil!

Discussion in 'Novel Discussion' started by hasukoi, Jun 14, 2018.

1. hasukoi

hasukoi Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    This is my first time ever recommending something, as I usually only lurk, but Grasping Evil is really good. Like, I try to read other novels of the same genre (Xianxia/Xuanhuan/cultivation stories), but I always keep coming back to Grasping Evil. It's a novel that gets better and better, with a moderate focus on philosophy and what path Ning Fan (Protagonist) should walk. The early portion, as in the first hundred chapters or so might seem a darker standard Xianxia, but there are already undercurrents foreshadowing the future developments.

I like Ning Fan a lot. He doesn't have any delusions about being a good person, he kills, steals, and rapes on his path towards the top. However, Ning Fan also constantly reflects on himself, and his character actually grows a lot throughout the novel, becoming noticeably more mature and creating his own path of cultivation, not just being some wannabe demon cultivator that is okay with being evil for the sake of being evil. Ning Fan is very sentimental, frequently going above and beyond to help those he loves, or even those who once did him a single favor. This behavior is what keeps him interesting, as he straddles the line between succumbing to demon cultivation's darker impulses which say anything goes in acquiring strength, and "righteous" cultivators who gradually become indifferent to the world, only moving when their benefits are in sight.

Ning Fan is overpowered. Not like Against the Gods overpowered, where Yun che surmounts like 10 power levels, but Ning Fan has numerous methods, tools, abilities, and reasons for surmounting cultivation levels. The biggest reason is Ning Fan is just an unprecedented genius, like, literally doing what takes others millions of years in just a few years. Ning Fan's perception and ability to comprehend is very high, and the Yin Yang Locket Ning Fan obtains in the beginning of the novel, while important and helpful, isn't too big of a deal considering Ancient Chaos (the locket's previous owner/ maybe creator? Can't remember) is one of literally billions of immortal emperors. Ning Fan is constantly improving, finding new treasures and the like, and even making his own personal techniques. What I enjoy about Grasping Evil is that when Ning Fan reaches higher levels of cultivation, while there is of course now stronger enemies to fight, you don't suddenly see old enemies and allies and random cannon fodder jump to new levels at the same time

Grasping Evil has numerous side characters, some the normal cannon fodder, others future villains, and some being friends that will last a good portion of the novel. If you read Grasping Evil's description, Ning Fan's main path of cultivation is dual cultivation, AKA sex. This path of cultivation grows more complex as the story goes on, gradually evolving to something greater, however Ning Fan's relationship with innumerable women is very important, and often moves the plot forward. No characters have been forgotten so far to my knowledge, and many often just take time to see once again. Relationship development often happens, and female character development is important. A slight warning, this is harem in its entirety. Ning Fan has many partners, all of which accept the harem, mostly due it being Ning Fan's source of cultivation. If you do not like harem, do not read.

Overall, Grasping Evil is great. I started reading the translations by Liberspark, and moved on to LNMTL, which has re-translated Grasping Evil 36 times as of writing this, making the novel much easier to read than most MTL novels, though it might take some getting used to. The chapters are very long, especially later on. While it might say only 1230 chapters, for another novel it would likely be above 2000 chapters in word count. I'm currently at chapter 1070, and with foreshadowing and considering the author's way of writing and amount of detail, i can see Grasping Evil easily reaching 1600 chapters, assuming the author does not end the novel early, or abandon any plot lines and set ups. So far the author has been good at resolving plot lines and picking up old ideas that even I, the binge reader may have forgotten at the back of my mind. From what I can tell, the author is only writing Grasping Evil on Qidian, and has been writing it for 4.5 years, so i don't think he will make any mistakes at this point in the game. Hope you enjoy reading!

2. RayPeest

RayPeest Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Made a fatal mistake by not adding a tl:dr. But at least your point is in the title.

3. Avagantimos

Avagantimos Chosen Undead|Bearer of the Curse|Ashen One

Reading List:
    Link
    WallOfText.exe

Nice to know though, I stopped reading GE when Bao was still translating it so I might give it another go.

4. Hexwolfx

Hexwolfx 【Hex Researcher】【Crime Syndicate - Most Hated】

Reading List:
    Link
    I really enjoy this novel I still remember the Firest ch was posted on novel updates.

5. Drake98

Drake98 Concerned Fan

Reading List:
    Link
    You recommend that but not providing a link?!
    How do i check it out?!

6. asdf123

asdf123 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    it sounds great and all but the tl speed is abysmal and reading mtl is awful imo

shianthiestrada likes this.
  7. asdf123

Reading List:
    Link
    by typing in grasping evil on the search bar...

w7sh likes this.
  8. shianthiestrada

shianthiestrada Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I loved this novel since the first chapters were published but it has been so long and there are only 100 translated chapters. I´m still waiting for it to have at least 200 translated chapters

9. Soren59

Soren59 MTL Shill

Reading List:
    Link
    Yes, I'm up to date on raws (c1230) and the quality is great. None of the usual filler/recycled plot/milking past 1000 chapters. If anything the writing has gotten better as the novel goes on.

Interesting story with elaborate plot and great world building as well as my favorite MC.

It starts getting good after Outer Seas arc (around chapter 190+) and continues to get more interesting past that point in my opinion. The start isn't bad either but it definitely gets better.

The MTL version is fairly good as well, just takes a little getting used to.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2018
    barashkafromro and Pedram like this.
  10. ReadOrDie

ReadOrDie already dead

Reading List:
    Link
    It's ok... Not outstanding or anything, just another generic wn. But the release rate is too f slow, so it's in my 'stop' list.

11. Soren59

Soren59 MTL Shill

Reading List:
    Link
    Grasping Evil NU
    Grasping Evil Translation
    Grasping Evil Machine Translation

Like I said the quality starts getting better around 200 chapters and it's consistently good after.

I dropped it originally around 50 chapters because like you said the start is "ok", but after picking it up again and reading the raws on LNMTL it's my favorite CN now. And I've read a lot, including ISSTH, CD, WMW, ATG, MW, ED, GDK, HJC, RTW, WDQK among others.

Unless you've read at least a few hundred chapters you wouldn't be able to realise what a hidden gem it is.

ReadOrDie and w7sh like this.
  12. phk

phk 『Lost Soul』『Master Of The Fine Arts』

Reading List:
    Link
    i read up till around chapter 950-960 and i really liked it but i hated how everything op he got was broken or couldn't be used for some other reason and by the time it was usable it was just another strong method, like he goes through all that effort to get an op item only for it to be unusable and then goes through even more effort to make it usable only for it to not be op anymore and can only be another trump card and i just couldn't stand it, maybe it was because i read it all at once in like a week or so but it pissed me off enough to rage quit it.

13. AlanJones

AlanJones Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I stopped yesterday in chapter 970. It only takes 200 chapters to reach the current ones, so I decided to stop for now.

Grasping evil is really a good novel.

Have you read Reverend Insanity? if not I recommend reading, it really is a lot good. It has in LNMTL too, and has been translated 15 times. (still in the old name: Daiost Gu.)

14. Wujigege

Wujigege *Christian*SIMP*Comedian

Reading List:
    Link
    Rape and maturity in the same sentence.
    The incongruity is mind boggling.
    Your story is a walking contradiction.
    Yes, you like but your post is counterproductive.
    Cheers!

Deleted member 110464 likes this.
  15. Hell_me

Hell_me Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Sorry, I'm not into novel with "numerous side character"

16. lkaze

lkaze [NTR Sect Follower][@Get Tony To Tease Parth Fund]

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't like people telling me what I should or shouldn't do. Viva Freedom

17. Hell_me

Hell_me Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Yep, That too:blobawkward:

18. Drake98

Drake98 Concerned Fan

Reading List:
    Link
  19. Soren59

Soren59 MTL Shill

Reading List:
    Link
    Well the items are just external methods in the end so it didn't bother me much.

His core strength that stays relevant later on comes from:
    • Bloodlines - God[Rain], Demon[Mo Luo], Monster[Fu Li], Tribulation Tai Cang, etc.
    • Dao Intent/Wielding (especially Water/Rain and Wood)
    • Yin-Yang Transformation technique (there are more benefits to it later on including new innate physiques)
    • Certain key techniques - Cross Halo, Art of Locking Heaven, etc.
    • Gate of Heaven and Mortal (lets him see things other people can't see and helps him look through people with higher cultivation than him)
    • Ancient Country God Extinguishing Shield (becomes a core part of his defensive power, later on he finds a way to melt it into his own body to passively increase his defence instead of needing to use it actively)
    • Myriad Things Communication - Ability gained thanks to an innate physique he obtains later on. Lets him communicate with literally anything (including inanimate objects and barriers xD there are some really funny scenes with it and it is useful in weird but creative ways. He can switch it off and on so he doesn't go crazy from hearing voices.)
    I probably missed some too but you get the gist of it, there are plenty of powers/abilities he has which stick with him and aren't temporary boosts.

barashkafromro and Pedram like this.
  20. asdf123

Reading List:
    Link
    speaking of walking contradictions and counterproductive posts, ive found that pretty much every story you dislike is worth reading.

lol

Soren59 likes this.