Cleaning up tags on NU V2.0

Discussion in 'Novel Updates Site Discussion' started by marine1corps, Jun 23, 2017.

1. runsing

runsing status : bleeding, health -10/s Novel Updates Staff

Reading List:
    Link
    character maintains memory through multiple revivals either in the same identity or a totally new one
    iinm, that is called Reincarnation (or transmigration). at most we can add the word 'multiple' to it. but such event is definitely not a 'rebirth'.

what makes it justify the word 'quick' ? why do we need to use 'quick'? does it really matter when or how long it takes for the soul to be transmigrated? my issue is, how do we know if the process is actually long, or short/quick, when we don't have a scale to compare to.

not every asian word has an equivalent in english. nor should we try to translate everything literally. current transmigration and reincarnation tag is good enough word to use, imho.

Multiple Realms
    Multiple Reincarnated Individuals
    Multiple Transported Individuals
    Reincarnated as a Monster
    Reincarnated as an Object
    Reincarnated into a Game World
    Reincarnated into Another World
    Reincarnation
    Transmigration
    Transported into a Game World
    Transported into Another World
    Transported Modern Structure

i don't quite understand this part.

2. Osamaru

Osamaru 『Shem's Best Pal ✧ Lexi's Ani ✧ Hamster's Keeper』

Reading List:
    Link
    Can we have Elemental tags for NU? Things like "Fire-User", "Non-Elemental" "Water-User" Etc etc etc. While they's not be applicable to everything, they could be useful to to help get an idea for the novel's MC, since alot of authors use these kinds of "templates" (I.E. a Fire user tends to be brash and bold, a Non-elemental user tend to be creative and innovative, and a ice user might be calm and decisive).

While it 's not an absolute, it can give someone a good idea of what's going to happen in the story as well. I.E. If I see a Alchemy/Pill refining tag with a Fire-User tag, I know that its alot more likely that they are going to be a larger part of the story, than say if it had a Wind-User tag.

obviously with the tag referring to the MC's main "Theme" and not just the ability to use.

3. runsing

Reading List:
    Link
    in Da tang Shuang Long Zuan, the calm and collected mc is instead the yang/fire type, while the womanizer, brash mc's theme is more yin-type. so how would such tag works then?

in grasping evil, eventhough the mc's main theme is rain, he's not exactly a calm and collected type. else he won't be able to inherit a wargod skill later in the story

we need more examples and explanation. also, currently, we do have Elemental Magic tag, it is just not widely used. afterall, the tags depend on ppl who already read the novel in-depth, or part of it to voluntarily help add the tags.

AliceShiki, Blitz and Osamaru like this.
  4. Osamaru

Osamaru 『Shem's Best Pal ✧ Lexi's Ani ✧ Hamster's Keeper』

Reading List:
    Link
    The Tag itself would be pretty straight, just "what is the MC's main elemental theme". But like I said, that information can give alot about the Character and setting itself. Again, its not absolute, such as the examples you gave, but alot of times, it is still pretty helpful.
    Just a "Elemental Magic" tag does not really tell you much, since that includes 90% of all fantasy novels. A tag that pins down the MC's specialty itself, would be nice.

5. Arcturus

Arcturus Cat, Hidden Sith Lord

Reading List:
    Link
    It is frankly why maybe having a sub tag system (to specify type) probably would be best.

Osamaru likes this.
  6. runsing

Reading List:
    Link
    a multi-tier, sub tag is indeed one of the features, you, me and several others has been lobbying for years. good news is, tony said the OEL site has a better tag system, and when it is launched, that system is going to be copied to NU. hopefully it will the kind we've been waiting for.

if we can have few examples of novels, it would make thing easier to understand

Last edited: Jun 24, 2018
    LaDyViL, AliceShiki, Arcturus and 2 others like this.
  7. Arcturus

Reading List:
    Link
    I think (based off of the "I'm looking for" request thread he made almost simultaneously), that he wants to specify the elemental type the user specializes in (fire, water, lightning, etc.) if said user indeed has one.

8. LaDyViL

LaDyViL New Member Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    If the subtagging system is implemented on NU, then this would work wonderfully. However, with the current tag system I'd rather not have it used just yet. Rather than going against it, I'm on the side who don't want to create a precedence. Having one user type would require more, and if we go by the elements seen on stories there are dark, light, water, fire, wind, space, time, nonElemental, earth, wood.... See how many they are? I'm not saying they aren't usable, but I don't want this to set a precedence.

Let's talk again about this when the subtag system is implemented.

Arcturus likes this.
  9. Arcturus

Reading List:
    Link
    Completely agreed. We struggle to keep the tags under control in terms of how many there are as it is (all of the protagonist tags for example). We don't need more that are so specific right now, that's for sure. An "I'm looking for" thread should do until we have better.

LaDyViL likes this.
  10. LaDyViL

LaDyViL New Member Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Hello, @Random .

Read this thread and the quote below. I won't disclose what you did, but this is a reminder that what you did should not be done.

chamchaworld, Blitz and runsing like this.
  11. oblueknighto

oblueknighto Blue Person

Reading List:
    Link
    I think there should be a Job/Class/Occupation System tag. I originally wanted to call it Class system but I simplified it to Job System tag because Class System would be confusing as that is also a common way of referring to different social classes or castes.
    It's ridiculous that there's a Jobless Class Tag yet there isn't one for an actual Job System.

gengareric likes this.
  12. MangoGuy

MangoGuy Rambling Mango

Reading List:
    Link
    What is a job system?

BlancFrost, runsing and Myself like this.
  13. Parth37955

Parth37955 NU #3, [Dead Inside], Mid-Boss, Dark Dealer Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Probably a game system where you can get a certain class like knight or swordsmen, possibly with promotion to higher classes. Class can also affects stats. /Shrugs/

BlancFrost and runsing like this.
  14. Blitz

Blitz ⛈️ awakened from the reverie❄️

Reading List:
    Link
    The job system tag is not really needed . Since game elements and level system already cover it to a broad degree
    Jobless class, which already exists however deserves its tag since it's a unique feature in the novel which separates it from other classes completely. Plus its usually the main driving point of the novel. Moreover its a common trope in quite a few already translated novels
    Furthermore if you want a novels about specific jobs and all creating a I'm looking for thread is always an option:cookie:

BlancFrost, MangoGuy and runsing like this.
  15. oblueknighto

oblueknighto Blue Person

Reading List:
    Link
    The game elements tag is too broad as there aren’t novels with game elements but no system while there are even novels where there are job systems but without a level system.
    Isn’t that the point of tags? To filter novels to make them easier to sort and find?

gengareric likes this.
  16. Ddraig

Ddraig Frostfire Dragon|Retired lurker|FFF|Loved by RNG

Reading List:
    Link
  17. MangoGuy

MangoGuy Rambling Mango

Reading List:
    Link
    Thank you for this, but I think you should make a separate thread and ask this question.

darkchocolatesan, Blitz and runsing like this.
  18. gengareric

gengareric Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    May I suggest adding a Slime or Slimes tag since there are novels that use slimes as a diffentiating factor like The Man Picked up by the Gods and I would consider slimes as being of equal significance to goblins that already has it’s own tag

oblueknighto likes this.
  19. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    As far as I remember, all the [monster name] tags need to be cleaned up, as they were supposed to be used only when the protagonist is one of the monsters, or at least the entire plot revolves around it. Also, it would need to be a trope common enough to warrant a tag.

What ended up happening though, was that people just added those on their whims and... Let's be honest, how useful is the Goblins tag? Like, who would specifically search for a novel because it has goblins? I don't see it happening.

So... Rather than adding Slime, I think that what needs to be done is a huge thinning in the Goblins tag.

runsing likes this.
  20. runsing

Reading List:
    Link
    actually, the Goblin tag was created a companion tag for Humanoid Protagonist and/or Reincarnated as a Monster. Its primary use was to signify the type/race of the MC. not to mention, there are several stories which titles didn't suggest the existence of a goblin MC at all. Same goes for orcs, vampires, dragons, etc.

on the other hand, except that 1 title you mentioned (so far), each other slime-significant story has either 'slime in its title, or in synopsis, hence they can already be easily found.

while i can understand where you're coming from, currently the tag wasn't needed enough...yet.

imho, The Man Picked up by the Gods (both version) needs better description. one that mentioned slimes and how the story revolves mostly around mc and his tamed monsters (which is 99.99% slimes)

TRIVIA : differences of 'goblin' to Koreans against 'european' goblin.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2018
    Blitz and AliceShiki like this.