Racist Japanese Novels

Discussion in 'Novel Discussion' started by sudartoemoer, Jun 25, 2018.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sudartoemoer

sudartoemoer Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Today I have started reading a novel called Super Gene on qidian.
    The novel is basically about a guy called Han Sen who lives in a super advanced technological world where he and other people are capable of going to a place called God sanctuary where they can kill monsters to gain a type of power called geno points, soul beasts and eat their flesh to evolve and become stronger.

All is well and good as I was reading, this being your standard CN I knew what to expect and could easily predict all the tropes that were going to come with much to my annoyance.

It is why I was also not surprised when the author would finally do the racist chinese trope or trampling on the japanese pride trope on the novel, what did surprise me though was the way he presented it.

This begins in chapter 60 the golden horned shura, out of nowhere the author adds a info dump of a century long war against mankind with a foreign alien race that has never been mentioned before up until this point.

This alien race is called the Shura, this race looks almost identical to the human race with the only difference being that they have horns on their heads, the males having only one horn while the females have two horns. They always seem to wear a mask to represent their identity this being a part of their culture, and they also have differently colored blood which is described as a dark green bile of some sort.

Now here comes the real kicker, if you haven't already guessed what the shura race represented I will even make it clearer to you by another unique aspect of their culture.

The main weapon of those shura's seems to be a "Katana". Yes, you heard me right, the novel has exactly stated the Shura use Katana's not just simply a sword, but directly saying "Katana".

Now I am not here complain about the blatant racism, I am used to it already by this point and you probably are too.

I am still inclined to continue reading even if I personally don't feel good about it, the reason I am writing this though is because while I was giggling about how this was presented, I started to consider whether there were any obvious japanese novels I had read that had any blatant racism to them directed at other countries like maybe towards china.

Most likely there are such novels but I still can't remember any and I would have loved it if anyone could tell me the title of a similarly racist japanese novel. The racism doesn't have to be the main point even if there is only one section I would be satisfied to read it and compare.

erowarrior likes this.
  2. elengee

elengee Daoist Ninefaps

Reading List:
    Link
    I think if a novel is racist in Japan it's much less likely to get published or popular compared to the Chinese market where such views are still deemed as acceptable or endorsed by the government.

3. Tianshen

Tianshen Ex-Lurker

Reading List:
    Link
    In Another World with smartphone

The author wiped out 'Shanghai' in that novel. Nuff said

readerz, KIJIN and Triarkdown like this.
  4. raysha18

raysha18 [Blank]

Reading List:
    Link
    If i remember correctly Awakening has some racism in it, sorry dude, it's been a while so I'm not sure.

5. FussyBadger

FussyBadger Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Triarkdown likes this.
  6. canaria23

canaria23 『  』

Reading List:
    Link
    Super gene is japanese? * Looks at title* *feels confused*

Bugis-san likes this.
  7. lygarx

lygarx Lazy Translator

Reading List:
    Link
    China is openly racist against Japan. I would know. I have super racist relatives living there.

KIJIN, Zeikfried, Nino Sasou and 2 others like this.
  8. Zom the Monk

Zom the Monk Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    God and Devil World, Returning from the Immortal world, Shura's Wrath (and a lot of the other series by that author).

RayPeest likes this.
  9. Xilphidae

Xilphidae ⚔Swordfish⚔

Reading List:
    Link
    pfft that ain't actually that blatant, a blatant bit of racism can be seen in godly thief incarnation where the MC is like "oh I'm not the patriotic type, oh wait your Japanese? I'll become patriotic and crush your pride"

redplatform_ likes this.
  10. Eruxol

Eruxol Du-sollst――Dies irae

Reading List:
    Link
    Capture+_2018-06-08-20-13-43.png
    Hmmm not surprising

11. Scholar Occult Cauldron

Scholar Occult Cauldron Bonk Maestro | Ascended

Reading List:
    Link
    Chinese are still salty over Nanking, not that I blame them. Koreans also hate JPs for the occupation of Korea, making the women comfort women (s*x slaves), and leading to the separation of North and South Korean.

12. LuminaDawn

LuminaDawn Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Racism is pretty much everywhere in CN novels. Not only Japan, Korea gets some as well. It is honestly a staple in CN novels at this point. What I find worse is the racism that hides behind nationalism like in IRAS.

Nino Sasou and RedKaiser like this.
  13. honglath

honglath I miss my PC

Reading List:
    Link
    Oi. Read the wall of text properly. OP is asking for Japanese racist novels, not Chinese ones.

14. LeakLeaf

LeakLeaf Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    i don't know any racist Japanese novels

15. Legion_Harbinger_of_Souls

Legion_Harbinger_of_Souls Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Honestly it's because China is still holding a grudge against Japan, not only that,this may sound stereotypical but Japan is just a lot more timid and shy then China, I mean just look at the difference in their MC's, so Japan has practically no racist novels O mean as someone stated before, the author of this one novel made a racist comment and boom, all his hopes for translation and anime went up in flames, and honestly atleast SGG has the decency to atleast mask it, I mean the only hint there is the katana while Shuras wrath blatantly is pretty much "Japan sucks and are pirates and a scourge of mankind"

KIJIN likes this.
  16. RedKaiser

RedKaiser [PATH OF HEAVEN] [RULER OF ALL]

Reading List:
    Link
    That their idea of communism...
    Everyone segregated .

For racist JN ,, hmmmm. ... Never heard of it

17. xTachibana

xTachibana Wincest King

Reading List:
    Link
    The closest thing to a Japanese 'racist' novel I can think of are all subtle 'racism' or xenophobia, like in Gate, where everyone other than the amazing JSDF are evil people who just want to abuse the other worlders, and only Japanese soldiers are above that kind of nonsense!

Or Nidoume no Jinsei where the MC killed hundreds if not thousands of Chinese people during the sino japanese war, prior to reincarnating (it's that one right? or was it another isekai novel?)

18. Bugis-san

Bugis-san Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Please change your title to 'Racism to JP in CN novels'. your title is completely misleading with what you said. Get it right.

Edit : or change it to something that is not misleading like 'racism in novels'. That's all.

19. erowarrior

erowarrior Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Racism is in japan novels too. If you didn't noticed in japan novels every foreigner is a whore.

But the most racism one i ever seen was the one that mc rape a woman and when he find out she is japans he sigh in relief.

KIJIN likes this.
  20. UnGrave

UnGrave ななひ~^^

Reading List:
    Link
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.