Discussion What Tropes Do You Despise The Most?

Discussion in 'Novel Discussion' started by birdboy01, Jun 28, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Lynx

Lynx Professional...on lewd matter

Reading List:
    Link
    Flat earthian,' no vaccine' bitches, and ..... Whoops, that's the tropes for real life, my bad.

2. zloi medved

zloi medved Well-Known Green Tea Bitch

Reading List:
    Link
    Rapist/Rape Victim Becomes Lover deserves to die in a fire. No. Nope. Absolutely not.
    But also disgusting - when there's mutual rape, but only one party is blamed/held accountable. Eg. one party is forcefully given /tricked into taking an aphrodisiac, and is stronger than the other party, so overpowers and rapes them under the effect of the aphrodisiac. That's mutual rape. Both are victims. But only one party (usually the man) is ever held accountable for it, and the other is purely portrayed as a victim - not just by the characters, because that I guess I can swallow, but by the author themselves too within the narrative. Just gross.

Another I'm sick of.
    [Clears throat]
    "I won't kill them/get them arrested/dealt with because I want them to suffer more/fall into my trap/be smug and monologue internally."
    Um.
    (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
    JUST GET RID OF THE DAMN THREAT ALREADY!!
    1. No matter what you do to "make them suffer", it won't be as bad as all the shit they do between now and then trying to make you suffer in return. How many MCs are like "I will hold off on killing this antagonist bc I want to draw out my revenge" and then the antagonist ends up like kidnapping and killing someone they care about or whatever.
    2. The revenge they end up writing out is never ever worth the wait or as heavy and horrific as they make it out to be. They always end up dying anyway.
    3. It's irresponsible. Usually the villain is an objectively terrible person who does awful things and makes other people suffer, not just the MC, but even though the MC has the power to just kill them or otherwise get rid of them, they don't and just sit back and allow someone to continuously rampage and cause damage because of their own petty and underwhelming revenge.
    It's dumb. Strike while the iron is hot, bitch.

Also, enough female MCs in modern day drama novels who start off with slag husbands, then separate from them at the start of the novel, but then the slag husband finds the interesting now because of it or whatever and start to chase them, and the dumbass MC is like "oh I guess my sploosh jets are going for you now that you aren't abusing and neglecting me and I can just forgive all that shit you did before cool cool".
    BITCH! LOVE YOURSELF MORE!!

Reak, Scylox and Cosmic_ like this.
  3. no168_92

no168_92 BrokenDoor|NeedsFixing|LackingFunds|DonorsWelcomed

Reading List:
    Link
    although i agree with you, it's just that in most eastern culture, pre-marital relation are just how they are, unlike most western countries...

and the authors do write according to their surrounding/target audience. so, you can't really blame cultural difference.. haha

4. DreadLord

DreadLord Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    • Gender Bender MC just goes along with everyone else whims because of new gender for example very girly clothing, how to act like a female according to everyone else, acting weak and thinking they have to fall in love with their former gender now.
    • MC letting themselves get capture/seduce by others that are more powerful too easily.
    • Strong enemies coming out of nowhere to fight the MC.
    • Something unexpected has to happen all the time when characters are doing something.

Reak, ADABANA, digitalreader and 2 others like this.
  5. GrimVeilRule

GrimVeilRule Dux Bellorum

Reading List:
    Link
    I trope I hate is Female MC saying she doesn't need help but needs saved by Male lead all the time and is then super ungrateful for being saved/helped and being super bitchy about everything

6. Arcadia Blade

Arcadia Blade ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ You can do it!!

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't hate those dense MC's since i can understand them. I mean how the fck can it be that easy to understand women? I met like countless of them and i still have this problem of not being able to get hooked up with at least one girl. Non-dense MC doesn't connect to me but this is just my opinion.

Reak, Cosmic_ and GrimVeilRule like this.
  7. shadowreader

shadowreader Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
  8. Odyssey

Odyssey Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    author forces an OTP story by killing off, just "forgetting" the existence of other female characters, or making such a "faithful" MC that he cant love another til he saves the lover [and every 100 ch or so she gets taken away]

Reak, Mordiggian and Cosmic_ like this.
  9. Razogul

Razogul [Flag Raiser][Rald's and Carm's Senpai]

Reading List:
    Link
    Some sort of medicinal pill, elixir, poison, or side effect of cultivation. It's really stupid and the MC is oblivious and never tests if something is poisoned or anything. It's even more infuriating when the MC is described as being very intelligent and instantly becoming a naive 16 year old.

Reak, Cosmic_ and JinVodka like this.
  10. Someguy666

Someguy666 MILF Sect Leader

Reading List:
    Link
    "We must kill him before he can grow! Having established enemity here today, if we don't kill him now we will be annhilated in the future!" and proceed to send people just strong enough for the MC to jump levels to kill and loot to become stronger faster.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2018
  11. Silverasterisk

Silverasterisk [Wallflower] [Drive by poster]

Reading List:
    Link
    If it was really a thing in their culture I would agree with you but it's not. It's predominately a part of their male works. The female ones don't have this problem. I actually prefer the Chinese method of marriage then don't mention for 800 chapters. It's better than an endless tease that wastes time and goes nowhere. It's actually pointless. They could still do most of the comedy if the characters were actively dating or in a relationship.

12. Silverasterisk

Silverasterisk [Wallflower] [Drive by poster]

Reading List:
    Link
    How about ntr? The worst kind of edgy.

gary0044187 likes this.
  13. justmehere

justmehere Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    1000+ chapters...

You already know it's going to be shit once you see that number, but still you keep on reading coz you got nothing better to do....

14. Mithun

Mithun Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    FMC goes missing for a long time and joins a very powerful sect or has a very powerful master and MC has to once again prove to others that he is worthy of her.
    eg: in TMW , FMC goes missing and gets a very powerful being as a master. Yi Yun has to prove his strength to even spread the news to her that he has reached the place

15. TypeFantasyHeart

TypeFantasyHeart Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    1. Female lead is forced to go to a higher plane or area. This shit is utterly the worst because they are always born in the most backwater of areas.
    2. Female lead is betrothed, forcing the MC to save-a-hoe. You can consider this the same as #1, but this specific case happens awfully a lot.
    3. Dense MC / Virgin MC / No EQ MC. I smashed keyboards and punched walls for this one, like damn it's so frustrating dealing with an author who creates a character likes this. It's like the dude has no common sense, how the hell is he surviving all these schemes and plots?

These 3, and even more when all 3 happen in the same novel, i know at least 10 novels where 1 and 2 do happen

Sunsaegnim and Cosmic_ like this.
  16. Mordiggian

Mordiggian Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Harem I can deal with when it's done well.. which is almost never. The main problem I have with the gigantic harems is when the MC starts abandoning/forgetting or otherwise ditching previous lovers, who of course are attacked/killed/etc. in order to make the MC power-up/go slaughter random pieces of trash.
    Another thing, not that I mind it as much as it makes sense from a writing perspective, but how in the f*** is the first attractive girl the MC meets almost always some secretly important/powerful heir to an arbitrarily stronger organization?

Reak and Cosmic_ like this.
  17. Drust

Drust Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    There are many tropes that I despise. From throw away villains, to walking into a bathroom only to find a naked girl. But out of all the tropes I despise the most, isekai tops that list. May it get run over by truck-sama and go bother some other world. Heck, most stories would be fine with out it as its importance sometimes gets thrown out in chapter 2 and never mentioned again. The use of other world knowledge trope and let's not kill all the people trying to kill me cause it's wrong tropes that usually accompany it are garbage too.

ADABANA and Cosmic_ like this.
  18. DreadLord

DreadLord Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Sometimes it can be saying certain words too many times like loli, OP, bullshit, and whatever words that can be overused.

ADABANA and Cosmic_ like this.
  19. Viator

Viator [Cult of Pyoo: Pyoo's Oak Tree]

Reading List:
    Link
    The thing I hate the most...

"Killing is wrong, I'm from the Civilized world after all, but sex slavery is okay."

20. Cosmic_

Cosmic_ [Novel Addict] [Lazy Writer] [Meh Editor]

Reading List:
    Link
    I hate it when authors mention something and just "forget" about them. Like how can you forget?! It's written/typed down on paper/a file! You can just go back to read it. Also, don't they at least keep track or write down the plot points they themselves thought up?

I also really hate it when stupid logic or events are forced just to make something happen. Like Sovereign of Three Realms to force a bad fan service moment had a girl that couldn't touch her butt so MC had to do it for her. My Girlfriend is a Zombie forced a yuri fan service moment with the logic that "wearing clothes while sleeping with make you catch a cold." Like WHAT?! :blobconfused::facepalm:. There's also those moments where a MC's peerless detection, intelligent, skill, or power is ignored so an enemy can sneak attack or when other characters do stupid thinks just cause author wants to like when a servant doesn't report something important because they "fear they themselves being punished" when that info would in reality save everyone's life, be the servant's job, and get him a raise.

There's also the nationalism like Japanese food bonzai or China is the best of stuff. Then there's also the racism and sexism.
    I hate that as well. It's also like they got stuck/trapped in another dimension or are facing some cosmic trial to power up. During that time, sh*t always hits the fan. It's like the apocalypse happened changing even the political powers while the MCs are away. And the close friends, familt, and love interest are always in critical danger.

I ONCE had a girl in middle school that was into me. I got vibes that might have been the case, but I was like ME? She likes ME of all people? Yeah, haha, what a joke. That's not possible. Definitely just in my head and getting the wrong signs. She confessed, but I wussed out like the virgin I am. I kinda regret that a little(tho I ended up moving and I didn't like her that way so it was probably for the better). That was my only chance. Over 7 years later and now I'm a member of the Forever Alone Village...

Hate it too. Tho, that's a genre not a troupe.

Harems are so stupid and complicated. Harem can be a love triangle(or dodecagon), just a guy surrounded by lots of girls(not even clear if in love), or it can be true polygamy. There's also those throwaway girls(characters made to be forgotten/thrown for plot/conflict/growth of authors OTP). Then there's how harem is a writing crutch as well as pitfall that leads to reliance on girl collecting and wish-fulfillment. Then there's the heartbreak, drama, and lack of character depth/focus due to too many leads/ships.
    I hate slave harems. It feels like stockholm syndrome. This also applies to those "want to tame her and lock up this kitten" type ML in CN novels.

gary0044187 and Reak like this.