Discussion how do you stop bleeding in the neck that choke the victim with blood ?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by reagents 11, Jul 1, 2018.

1. Hahhaa

Hahhaa hereby irrevocably & perpetually waives all moral

Reading List:
    Link
    I was going to suggest using gunpowder to stop bleeding. Oh well, I'm glad he's fine :blobsalute:

2. Bright_Lucky_Star

Bright_Lucky_Star [Previously Known as OrdinaryUser] The Blessed One

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm not medical expert so I don't know, but try super glue cause American soldiers use that to stop bleeding

3. lychee

lychee [- slightly morbid fruit -] ❀[ 恋爱? ]❀

Reading List:
    Link
    Depends on the location of the bleed and volume.

If you suspected airway compromise, either asleep or awake, then you would probably intubate w/ suctioning the patient to protect the airway. This is more ACLS than BLS though and is beyond the scope of first aid. You should call 911 and get the patient to the hospital. Upper GI bleeds can deteriorate quickly.

reagents 11 likes this.
  4. reagents 11

reagents 11 disaster personified

Reading List:
    Link
    Umm what's ACLS and BLS ? For more details seems like puncture wounds in the neck closer to the base of the chin. He's leaking a gurgling sounds and bloody in the mouth so I'm pretty sure his windpipe pierced. Thinking about it again perhaps there's another wound on the inner side of his windpipe.
    In which the cases it's puzzling what kinds of action to be taken since trying to stop his bleeding make him choked while letting it as it is will bleed him out.

5. lychee

lychee [- slightly morbid fruit -] ❀[ 恋爱? ]❀

Reading List:
    Link
    They are terms often used in healthcare. BLS stands for basic life support and includes CPR or using a automatic defibrillator -- plenty of ordinary people like lifeguards, teachers, and police officers might get certified in BLS. ACLS (or ALS outside of the US) is the advanced protocol, usually done by paramedics or hospital staff.

In your case where it seems like applying pressure might compromise breathing, EMS (paramedics) would probably be considering placing an advanced airway (which is a tube down to the trachea) first and then applying pressure to control bleeding afterwards. The advanced airway prevents the patient from choking from either blood or mechanical pressure.

There are risks to doing this on the field though, especially if you don't know exactly where the blood is coming from (you could make the bleeding worse by shoving something down someone's throat right into the injury). If there is only a small amount of bleeding or it seems like the patient isn't in imminent respiratory distress, EMS would probably prefer to deliver the patient to the hospital first where they can do better diagnostics/imaging prior to doing any kind of risky procedure. However, if it's an emergency and it looks like the patient might suffocate or bleed out before they can get the patient to the hospital, they would probably risk it and intubate on the site.

mir and reagents 11 like this.
  6. reagents 11

reagents 11 disaster personified

Reading List:
    Link
    Yes thanks for the detailed explanation. Other sites as well said that you'd need to insert a tube to his throat to secure his breathing then address the bleeding.
    Thanks that's seems the answer i looking for in which the cases it should've been disqualified me to attend such advanced patient.
    When we're doing something like this my only thought is whether I've missed something and he's dying on me or I've missed something and I'm killing him.