Chinese authors who aren't racist

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Hegao, Jun 30, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ryosuke08

ryosuke08 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I do remember her being a tribal deity hunter because they pissed her off... but don't remember her badmouthing Japan or USA.

2. canaria23

canaria23 『  』

Reading List:
    Link
    Foreign gods

3. Arashi

Arashi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    How did this thread go so wrong?

Also everyone says America isn't best country until they need help

4. StuffedDuck

StuffedDuck Stuffed with Fluff

Reading List:
    Link
    Wouldn't, couldn't Er Gen's novels count as non-racist? At least I don't recall any event making me frown ...

5. Eolan

Eolan Totally serious poster

Reading List:
    Link
    Let me elaborate. Racism in America is a delicate thing, the most clear example being how african-americans may get offended if they are called black (even if that IS their skin color). I lived in the states for a few years and currently live in Mexico. Here, calling someone Black, White, Brown or whatever their skin color, is perfectly normal. But, this is because we only call each other as such like nickname or at most to lightly make fun of them.
    Meanwhile, in America there was once a time that being derogatary towards minorities was normal, and the way to do it was by calling them by their skin color (black, yellow, brown, etc.). It was meant to be offensive, and since it was only name-calling, didn`t escalate too much back then. Such response has changed and now even name-calling can bring serious consequences. Because of this, even children may be taught to be careful with their words so as to not accidently offend somebody.
    Thus, why I say that because of all the racism in America (since a long time ago and currently), Americans are overly sensitive to racism.

6. JSS

JSS Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It is because of history . The japan beat up
    ( and much more , i do not want to talk about ) the chineese in war so they do not like them . Same for korea .
    And pretty much every country has own dark history which is the cause of all .

MEGA SPARTA CHICKEN likes this.
  7. Causal Reader

Causal Reader Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    As far as Chinese light novel that I read, so far everyone of them are racist in different degrees. Most of them are disgusting, usually they start out pretty good then goes downhill. The light novel with the lowest in racism would be Japan, after that Korea with a sometime racist novels, and dead last would be China where it would be a miracle to find one that isn't racist in their novels.

8. GDLiZy

GDLiZy Wise Deepsea Mermaid

Reading List:
    Link
    Read Xianxia or something like that, no RL country and no racism.

9. ToastedRossi

ToastedRossi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Most of the racism in books are born out of ignorance, and a lot of writers don't put in the effort to properly learn about other cultures and peoples. So who out of these writers doesn't come across as racist? Just about all of them; they tend to set their stories purely in China or a fantasy version of China so there isn't all that much to be racist against.

Of the writers who do write about foreign cultures and nations, the best are those who do the research like Tong Hua or Yue Guan. The latter stands out more because he went out of his way to say good things about the Timurid Empire! I've never seen anyone do that before. Do people even know what the Timurid Empire is?

10. phoenom

phoenom Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    if you see that chinese racism / trash talk about other countries like old american movies potrayed how bad uni soviet is maybe it will be easier .
    stop thinking about it and read whatever you like . if you dont like it then drop it .

11. Ram5

Ram5 [Noodle Stealer]

Reading List:
    Link
    I can only think that you look for China Novel which had author not chinese person...

12. Luneder

Luneder Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    China's government is doing a Chinese pride movement right now centered around them being the greatest race similar to how pre-WWII Germany placed Aryan as the greatest race.

Any Chinese novel that says otherwise is subject to their over the top censorship so from a novel writers point of view they must do everything possible to make the government happy and the best way possible is to be racist against every other country.

One of the scary things is for the past 10 years China has been leading the public to think they will go to war with the US in the near future. Some of it is the government trying to take back some of its economy back from the US but another part of it is they want to conquer Asia in its entirety and the only rival to that is the US. there is a couple of counties that have pretty much already fallen under Chinese control unofficially.

13. snorri

snorri Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Given what I've seen in NU the lack of competence and responsibility of the TLers may also be part of the reason. Some TLers just perpetuate this stereotype into their translation which makes things much much worse.

For example I saw a few days ago someone rant about this novel called Super God Gene, calling it racist towards Japan. The decisive evidence is that the antagonistic race uses "katana" as weapon. However this novel is never related to Japan among CN readers. And turned out that it's because the TLer chose "katana" to translate a battle sword, which does not ressemble katana at all as showed in later chapters.

14. Molen

Molen Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    well, i think you need to answer this first:
    is racism against a fictional race in fictional country in fictional world count as racism (the race might be simmilar to a real race in earth)?
    if yes, then you can drop several CN novels (like otherworldy evil monarch).
    if not, well, there are alot of 'not racist' novel out there.

and you really need to define what racism is. because there are too many people that use "racism" as they seem fit for their own agenda. you also need to consider how different world common sense and law can influence what we consider as racism.

just dont read novels like otherworldy evil monarch and i am really a superstar if you want to avoid racism.

at somepoint there we will find alien out there in the universe, then everyone will be forced to redefine what a race is and canot say racism to their fellow human again.

there are too many people who think that people with different skin colour are of different race.

15. Finalbeta

Finalbeta Science Nerd

Reading List:
    Link
    Most of the times I think it's a stylistic choice rather than racism but you never know...

16. catatopatch

catatopatch Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    :cookie:I suggest visiting the war shrine in Japan to see why some people dislike the Japanese as a nation. The whitewashing and denial of some of their atrocities is amazing, even a lawyer can't compare to that level of shamelessness.

17. ToastedRossi

ToastedRossi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    That's not entirely fair given that most Japanese people have pretty pacifistic views on life. In fact, Japan is possibly the most pacifistic society in the developed world.

However, there are two big caveats to this. The first is that given the opportunity to address and confront some of the horrible things that Japan has done in the recent past, most Japanese people would rather pretend that it didn't happen and avoid discussing it altogether. This makes material progress towards redressing historical grievances extremely difficult so they pretty much never go away.

The second problem is the Japanese government; particularly the people who are currently in charge of it. When the LDP was formed after World War II, it included a number of war criminals and other people high up in Imperial Japan. One of their earliest Prime Ministers, Kishi Nobsuke, was one of these war criminals so it's a bit hard to completely disassociate Japan from its Imperial past. Oh, and Shinzo Abe is this guy's grandson.

18. AKIKAN

AKIKAN The Dicktator

Reading List:
    Link
    For those that kept trashing the USA when the OT probably isn't from there just to distract the issues about racist in CN novels we were supposed to discuss. You should realize that the USA didn't ban the criticism towards her, but CCP China would, even extending to other countries (that LN written by the ultranationalist Japanese author).

I usually found Japanese LN to be a bit xenophobic and their pride in their culture especially their food is overrepresent in any isekai series.
    I still remember how 5-10 years back then, many Korean manhwa would have someone screamed that "Korean is the greatest race on earth!".
    Chinese web novels are often xenophobic to racist, but mostly chauvinistic.

Disgusting likes this.
  19. bonifide

bonifide Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah him and IET doesn't really do racist shit.

IET just racist to aliens.

20. Marvin

Marvin The Man who realize love

Reading List:
    Link
    Legend of the Sun Knight
    Release that witch
    The experimental lig of the crazy lich

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.