Racist Japanese Novels

Discussion in 'Novel Discussion' started by sudartoemoer, Jun 25, 2018.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. xTachibana

xTachibana Wincest King

Reading List:
    Link
    Literally not even once. Don't even think I've seen those retarded ass Yankee thugs in novels/anime/manga say dumb shit like that LOL

2. erowarrior

erowarrior Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Read more novels mate…

3. raxadian

raxadian Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Ever heard of Gate? That one is racist to any country that isn't Japan. Is noticeable in the anime even if it was toned down there.

4. LeakLeaf

LeakLeaf Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    wait Gate is not racist what are you talking about

5. raxadian

Reading List:
    Link
    Super Japan is best that the United Nations? That's a racist power fantasy.

More so as it starts with whats supposed to be modern Japan minus the whole Gate thing.

And more info here:

https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/YMMV/Gate

KIJIN likes this.
  6. LeakLeaf

LeakLeaf Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    dude that's not racist its just someone from Japan wrote the story and made Japan the best country so what you got a problem with ppl making up stories an making their country the best country?

7. Bakanogami

Bakanogami Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Gate's not quite racist so much as it is ultranationalist, which is a can of worms, but it's a different can of worms. The only case of ignorant racism I can remember from it was when they see that an enemy unit has black men in it and must then obviously be American, because no other countries have black people, right?

You've got every other nation being presented as unrealistic greedy and evil caricatures who get completely trounced by the Japanese soldiers when they fight. You've got the depiction of the military as always being just and righteous while politicians who try to curb its power or worry about militarism or human rights are depicted as weak traitors.

You've also got a fair bit of denialism about Japan's own past. I specifically remember there being a line like "Perhaps this will make even the Japanese turn into conquerors." The whole series tends to ignore the fact that Japan does have a history of conquering foreign nations, oppressing their people, and exploiting their natural resources, and instead acts like Japan is the only compassionate actor in a world full of vultures. It's a political/military fantasy written by someone who never read anything about politics or history in any depth, and the result is essentially propaganda.

KIJIN likes this.
  8. TooLazyToThink

TooLazyToThink Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Can't blame them. Those japs are pretty horrible back in ww2. They even raped and killed little girls and they won't admit their sins.

9. xTachibana

xTachibana Wincest King

Reading List:
    Link

I literally read thousands of novels.....can you give me a single example? I will personally go and read the raw of the novel to see if it was the translator who decided to write it like that...

10. erowarrior

erowarrior Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Sorry mate but I don't remember any example…

11. GM_Rusaku

GM_Rusaku Neptune-sama's Devoted Follower

Reading List:
    Link
    Closest I can think of is Bobobo-bo bo-bobo and it's not even a novel but a manga.
    [​IMG]

Wujigege likes this.
  12. DreadLord

DreadLord Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Japaneses novels don't usually present themselves as racist as oppose to being ultra-nationalists. It something you don't notice until you take a closer look at it. Then again every novel/anime/manga has forms of nationalism in them. The most racists you notice in them is how they look at foreigners in some of them.

13. ZeroBlink

ZeroBlink Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Racism? I think there's a bunch of history behind those countries that sortof explains their relations ONE WOULD THINK that before calling something "racist" we'd get to know the history first.

If you have seen dragon ball you would notice that The Red Ribbon army basically represents the US. Is it racist? Or prhaps US did nuke the shit out of japan, then invaded and build bases there. Then the soliders took liberties with local women? The coin has 2 sides to call something racist outright means that we're being ignorant to a problem that the supposed racism stems from.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2018
  14. Misstee

Misstee Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I debated about Mahouka, on the one hand, China got a peninsula and a fleet wiped out and they have been an antagonist (As have other countries). On the other hand I don't remember any language in the novel of the Chinese being "lesser" then any of the other opposing countries (perhaps saying they are dirty, stupid, lazy or any of the myriad other slurs that can be used to stereotype and denigrate a whole group of people.) It's not a case of "The Chinese are terrible and should all die, because, you know, reasons". That attack happened because China wants to swallow japan lock, stock and barrel. It's all political. Doesn't mean I didn't wince when it happened and mutter "poor China".

15. Asf

Asf 《《The aria of souls》》

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah.. chinese novels are pretty open with their racism if they want to add them.
    While japanese novel are pretty subtle with them and more of a natinalism than racism. Or just for plot device.

KIJIN likes this.
  16. Guyver

Guyver Bio-Booster Armor

Reading List:
    Link
    My opinion is that people are getting more and more thin skinned over racism to the point it is getting farcical.

Like in this news article:
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/44725744

The man was sacked, banned for a year and ordered to a re-education course all because he said:

Henry claimed the club had no desire to sign any more African footballers during January's transfer window.

And

Henry was quoted by the Daily Mail as saying African players "cause mayhem" when they are not in the team.

17. TerraEarth

TerraEarth Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    First of all, the term racism is thrown around very loosely nowadays. What racism actually means is the belief that one's race is superior and using that belief to oppress/discriminate against others. Nationalism isn't necessarily racism and yet "racism" is usually used in the public discourse to refer to what is in fact Nationalism or Preferential treatment/bias - even when it doesn't have a eugenic basis

So the Chinese bash the Japs - so? Are they saying that Chinese people are intrinsically superior to the Japanese and that on this basis they should be pressured in some way or another? Or is it just a revenge/hate thing? I'm inclined to think that it's the latter and this in my eyes is not racism. Hating a past enemy and seeking to abash or shame them isn't racist in my book.

Nearly all JNs are "racist", just subtlety so. It's not as blatant or in-your-face compared to their Chinese counterparts, but it's there. They always toot their own horns for one and apparently the Japanese and their cultural values/heritage is the most superior in the world - because why wouldn't it be?

Also, have you noticed that there are never any Korean foreigners in Japanese novels, manga or anime? You'd think that being a highly relevant, closest-proximity neighbor, Korea would have a larger representation in both characters and culture and yet there isn't.
    That being said, frankly I don't care at all whether there's racism or not in someone's writings. If they're not going to be affecting my life directly in any way then I have no inclination to care or mind.

I think freedom of speech is a wonderful thing and the less censorship there is - whether direct or indirect - the better. People that are easily offended by anything and everything should just crawl in a hole and hide in there for the rest of their lives.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2018
  18. raxadian

Reading List:
    Link
    In Gate they had to tone the tone down for the anime so yes even in Japan the racism was noted.

Not to mention Gate is pro colonialism and racism is a justification of colonialism. "Everyone but the Japanese is inferior" is racism.

19. lamhoi32

lamhoi32 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It's a Chinese novel. Certain parts of China are still somewhat close minded. It's more Xenophobic than Racist imo. It's different because they usually have these misconceptions about foreigners because there are very few in China. Some people can go their whole life without ever meeting foreigners in-person. But anyway, yes, Chinese novels are often sustible to xenophobia. And often employs damsel in distreas tropes.

20. Shiroikaze42

Shiroikaze42 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I've yet to come across any blatant racism in Japanese novels. If anything, there tends to be a (often subtle) suggestion that Japan, as a country, is superior. One of the most obvious and repeated examples is in isekai novels, when Japanese food is created for the first time. Everyone loves it, always, no matter what dish it is. Sometimes they even act as if nobody has ever figured out that food can be delicious before tasting the dish. (This is a maddening issue in Japanese isekai novels for me. I cannot express just how obnoxious it gets, reading series after series with this nonsense.)

Temujin likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.