Think My Powersuply Died

Discussion in 'Tech Discussion' started by sidtz, Jul 3, 2018.

1. sidtz

sidtz Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    So, last night my computer was working just fine, seemingly no issues at all. But after i got back from work today it appears to have kicked the bucket :(. Power flickers for about half a second, the cooling fan spins once, and the power supply fan moves a tiny bit, but then nothing. I cracked it open and cleaned all the gunk out thinking that it might just be clogged, but even though it looks brand new again and nothing is blocking it, it's not working. Rest in pieces. Now i'm stuck using this terrible Fujitsu Lifebook until i get a replacement.

2. oliver

oliver Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Yah, that's the power. Mine blew a couple years ago and it acted the same way. Atleast you shouldnt have to buy a new pc, so that's something.

3. SoulZer0

SoulZer0 Heaven Refining

Reading List:
    Link
    Use pcpartpicker.com to check suitable psu for your build. You can't just use any psu and hopes it works.

4. Jeebus

Jeebus Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Try reseating all of your cables.

If you have access to a friend's computer or a spare computer, try swapping power supplies and see if your computer works with another one and if your current PSU works on another machine.

5. sidtz

sidtz Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah, I'm picking up a spare tomorrow from a relative and was going to see if it works. I reseated everything when I took it apart to clean since I had to take out a lot of it to get to the PSU.

6. sidtz

sidtz Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Wew, it turns back on. Definitely not turning it off till i get a replacement PSU if I can. PSU fan not spinning though....hope that's not to dangerous. 20180703_203832.jpg

7. Drust

Drust Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Some psu's don t spin their fans until they need to.

8. sidtz

sidtz Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    it wasn't turning on even at 90c+. anyways i scrapped it and installed a new EVGA 500w power supply and it's working pretty well now. still getting to high temperatures but it's fine as long as i don't put it under really heavy load.

9. bob3002

bob3002 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    IIRC the PSU fan spins in response to power draw from the system, not in response to high temperatures in the CPU. There's no mechanism for the PSU itself to know what the CPU temperatures are. So... I'm very glad for your sake that you replaced it ASAP, as you were probably overheating the PSU's components by running it with no fan.

If you still see high CPU temperatures you might need to clean out the cooler's heatsink. From the photo you posted it looks kind of clogged with dust? Hope you're not smoking in the same room, the tar builds up on the surfaces and clogs up everything after a while.

10. sidtz

sidtz Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't smoke, that's just dust build up from a year or two, the picture was taken after i had cleaned it for a good hour lol. though i did only use qtips and rubbing alchohol to get the worst spots. I need to get some compressed air and really give it a good cleansing, for now it should be ok though.

11. shellshocked

shellshocked Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    That looks like a Best-Buy Rocketfish brand power supply. Looks like something to avoid that's on par with housefire Diablotek PSUs.
    Cheapening out on the PSU will only bring tears and frustration. Get something else.