the horror of patreon

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by fairbouy, Jul 5, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fairbouy

fairbouy Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    this title is about 70% click bait and 30% how I really feel

a common system on patreon is the pay some amount of money get a certain amount of chapters to read ahead of everyone else but once you are for example paying 20 pounds a month for 20 chapters ahead you are pretty much locked in if money is tight for a while and you have to cut back on stuff and cancel your patreon subscriptions you my friend are not gonna have a good time because you are now 20 chapters ahead in your favourite novel and will have to either keep paying to keep pace or will have to wait for the normal 20 chapters to come out before you can keep reading the temptation to read ahead so many chapters mixed with wanting to help support translators is hard to resist

a long time ago I swore to never use qidian since they are evil but I weakened when they got hidden marriage I thought one couldn't hurt and now I am in deep I even pay for stones I understand the current patreon system is needed so translators make a wage or something like that at least but still it feels bad to me and I was wondering if anyone felt like me?

p.s. if any translators are reading this I hope you take no offence I love every one of you more then any singer or celebrity you guys are amazing!

xalienxgamerx, nyul and Paps like this.
  2. Negias

Negias 『Average Smulenians』『Normal Passerby』『Chaos Lover』

Reading List:
    Link
    Sry I didn't use patreon and I just hold myself using a reason that I don't have any money even though I have money

3. fairbouy

Reading List:
    Link
    i normally use the same excuse to myself but after a mass release on qidian i had to buy stones so hard to convince myself

4. Avrnea

Avrnea Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    if you only read hidden marriage why do you pay for stones? the free stones should be enough to catch up to the latest chapters if you're only following 1-2novels right?

Reyrey, oliver, MangoGuy and 5 others like this.
  5. kuroAnsatsu

kuroAnsatsu Realistically Stoic

Reading List:
    Link
    Dude in my case, patreon is only for when you want to support the translators, advanced chapters is only a bonus.
    So if you got a cliffhanger, just bear with it!

6. Wujigege

Wujigege *Christian*SIMP*Comedian

Reading List:
    Link
    It's about priorities and self control...
    Here is an advice for you : Any translator who is not earning good money will disappear sooner or later

Rumby, GM_Rusaku, MangoGuy and 6 others like this.
  7. fairbouy

Reading List:
    Link
    it started as just hidden marriage but as they get more books my resistance fell apart i cant resist romance books especially hidden marriage and perfect secret love are now my favourite books also it seems enough but now and again they release mass releases and then suddenly you release you don't have enough its a clever system that tempts you to buy with the allure or 20 chapters

i do my best to bear it and want to help support translators but i knew if i do one then my self control will fly away and i will just ruin myself

most of the translators I see seem to be doing pretty well for themselves just right now i am in a place where the bills are tiny and the money is a plenty so my self control recently has been lax

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 5, 2018
    TDDM likes this.
  8. NicApple

NicApple Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I understand your woes regarding qidian as i find myself short for like 5 - 6 novels. But i have never needed to 'top up'.
    U can regain from check in, watch advertisements and lastly voting.

And if u really short... There's the invite friends option, giving me around 99 spirit stones per every use of the invite link

9. Wujigege

Reading List:
    Link
    You missed my point.
    You may not like Patreon when you are broke but it's a good identifier indicator of translators who won't disappear

Last edited: Jul 5, 2018
  10. fairbouy

Reading List:
    Link
    you have a great point a lot of novels i get really into only for a translators to disappear if i think about it the patreon and money they receive at least means they wont disappear on me

dmtranslations and Wujigege like this.
  11. Avrnea

Avrnea Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    pm'd you an alternative :p

fairbouy likes this.
  12. fairbouy

Reading List:
    Link
    amazing thank you so so much

13. SAimNE

SAimNE Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I never do anything other than donate. I like the tls, but I'm not going to spend 240$s a year on each of them.

Reyrey and Wujigege like this.
  14. VannVann

VannVann [Drained] 《Worn Out》 GM

Reading List:
    Link
    I am a leecher. I don't pay. (Silently dies inside and curses currency value)

15. Cian-Chan

Cian-Chan Disappearing Member

Reading List:
    Link
    In my case, I choose to read the raws even if it's only MTL version. At least I know what will happen and I don't need to pay. Of course I still read the translations because there are words in MTL that I can't make sense of.

Salamence likes this.
  16. Victor DoUrden

Victor DoUrden Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Just be like me... have no money at all and trade your problem for new problems

17. Wujigege

Reading List:
    Link
    I'd take money grubbers whom it is in their best interest to translate over self sacrificing saints who can disappear on you without a moment's notice or replace the translation with MTL when they don't feel up to it

fairbouy likes this.
  18. AHKoT

AHKoT [FA sect] [2nibyou] [ReverseEpi] [Htrap]

Reading List:
    Link
    It's easy to fight off the temptation lol. You just need to block Qidian on NU so that their release won't pop up in front of your eyes. If you can't see it, you can't be tempted for it, that's my logic. Spoiler alert!!! It works like a charm!!! Suprise? (Lol)

strayCat0 and fairbouy like this.
  19. fairbouy

Reading List:
    Link
    i am way way too deep if i can't read about the little bun and it mum in hidden marriage at least once a day i can't settle down

dmtranslations likes this.
  20. NicApple

NicApple Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The spoiler thread for hidden marriage has pretty detailed summaries for each chapter all the way till the end. I sate my thirst for little bun from that until the series eventually updates with lots of free chapters for me to revisit the story.

fairbouy likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.