Discussion Mistborn Trilogy from Brandon Sanderson

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by ElefantVerd, Jul 12, 2018.

1. ElefantVerd

ElefantVerd It's not me, and it's not you.

Reading List:
    Link
    Hello, fellow NUFians from all around the globe.

What are your thoughts on the trilogy Mistborn, from author Brandon Sander?

From #1 New York Times bestselling author Brandon Sanderson, the Mistborn trilogy is a heist story of political intrigue and magical, martial-arts action.

For a thousand years the ash fell and no flowers bloomed. For a thousand years the Skaa slaved in misery and lived in fear. For a thousand years the Lord Ruler, the "Sliver of Infinity," reigned with absolute power and ultimate terror, divinely invincible. This saga dares to ask a simple question: What if the hero of prophecy fails?

Mistborn: The Final Empire — Kelsier, a brilliant thief has turned his talents to the ultimate caper, with the Lord Ruler as the mark. Kel's plan is the ultimate long shot, until luck brings a ragged girl named Vin into the fold. But she will have to learn to trust if she is to master powers of which she never dreamed.

The Well of Ascension — Evil has been defeated; the war has just begun. Vin, the street urchin who has become the most powerful Mistborn in the land, and Elend Venture, the idealistic young nobleman who loves her, must build a healthy new society in the ashes of an empire.

The Hero of Ages — The Deepness has returned, along with unusually heavy ashfalls and powerful earthquakes. Humanity appears to be doomed. Vin and Eland investigate the past to save the future, and in the end, sacrifices must be made.

The Mistborn trilogy (buy here from Amazon)
    Mistborn: The Final Empire
    The Well of Ascension
    The Hero of Ages

Last edited: Jul 20, 2018
  2. elengee

elengee Daoist Ninefaps

Reading List:
    Link
    Mostly, i'm wondering if i should swallow some metals and see what happens.:hmm:

3. Invisalats

Invisalats The Bearded One

Reading List:
    Link
    It is very good. A little cheesy at times but a very good trilogy. It caused me to try out many more of his novels of which most were quite good.

Maxmeteor1 likes this.
  4. Jiggy

Jiggy I am JiggyliFAP~ the not fat anymore guy.

Reading List:
    Link
    He has an NU acc. I still remember him messaging me.

5. Gunji Murgi

Gunji Murgi Overlord of all Things Feathered

Reading List:
    Link
    one of my favorites. If there's one thing Sanderson is known for, it's super interesting magic systems and world building.
    That and his almost machine-like speed of churning out quality books

WinByDying likes this.
  6. WinByDying

WinByDying I can count to four

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm going to read them someday. I've only read Elantris by Sanderson, years ago. Felt more like an adolescent novel, it probably differs from e.g. Mistborn, but it was pretty good. Two friends of mine have read them, and said they're really good. Story driven books, I think. Some of the better western fantasy I'd guess?

7. Maxmeteor1

Maxmeteor1 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I’ve only finished the first one, but if you are asking whether it is a good read, I would recommend it. Tor, Baen, Ace and Del Rey are the best scifi publishers, although some of their reads can be pretty long/hard-to-read.

Edit: just realized Mistborn isn’t published by any of these publishers but I still recommend them for books of similar quality.

ElefantVerd likes this.
  8. bob3002

bob3002 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It's well written, although very long. The characters are well fleshed out, the setting is both deep and wide, and the magic system of the world is unique (based on opposing metals) and justified well. I suggest trying it.

(I'm only talking about the original trilogy, I haven't read the second one yet).

ElefantVerd likes this.
  9. Djoty

Djoty Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Liked the First book, couldn't be bothered to read the second and third, the guy I thought is the MC turn out to be just the teacher of the real MC, I just lost interest

10. Paps

Paps Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Haven't read it, but I am seeing a lot of people talking about it, it has gotten me interesting, maybe I will pick it up in the near future.

11. ElefantVerd

ElefantVerd It's not me, and it's not you.

Reading List:
    Link
    Sounds like a good plan. Go for it!

12. starwarscards

starwarscards Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    A good trilogy but not my favorite from him.

13. Blitz

Blitz ⛈️ awakened from the reverie❄️

Reading List:
    Link
    Its quite a nice book. well worth a read. You should give it a try. The authors storm light archive is really good too.
    Also there are more books after the trilogy in the series but that's another matter

14. elairz

elairz Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    the ending kinda screw up.

i like the magic system though.

15. Rickymex

Rickymex Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I got the entire series on my phone but haven't gotten into the mood to read them.

16. Aternus

Aternus Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    That I would rather read a book on the immortal emperor from beginning to rise and stuff.
    Webnovels have really changed my taste in books.

17. Meloman

Meloman My dog is lazier than me

Reading List:
    Link
    I agree. I’m unable to read the paperbacks sitting on my shelf from one of my favorite authors that I used to binge read before I found out the web novel trap... :cry:

18. Aternus

Aternus Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah, esp those who usually have sub-par MCs(basically every fantasy book).
    Not saying Chinese mcs are better, but it's hard going from an MC that get's shit done to... well your avg fantasy MC.

19. djsosonut

djsosonut Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The trilogy is a good entry point for starting to read books in Brandon's Cosmereverse. The trilogy is better than Elantris but isn't as dense and complex as the books in the Stormlight Archive. Great and consistent magic system, while packing a few nice surprises along the way. "There is always another secret."

20. Ai chan

Ai chan Queen of Yuri, Devourer of Traps, Thrusted Witch

Reading List:
    Link
    Couldn't understand the first book. Stopped reading halfway through. Not that I don't like the book, I just didn't like the world he put the story in. I'm not saying it's bad, it's a personal preference.

Oh wait, the one I read was part of the Stormlight series, The Way of Kings. Ai-chan hasn't read the Mistborn series yet, but considering how Ai-chan really disliked The Way of Kings, Ai-chan decided not to bother with the rest.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2018