CKTalon is BETRAYED!!!

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Kasuka, Jul 15, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Guyver

Guyver Bio-Booster Armor

Reading List:
    Link
    Well they ate a business it is expected that they will want to make money:rolleyes:

Though my preference would be a KU type model.

And I think they will find they need to up their TL quality if they go full time pay to read which would be fine by me.

2. Kurotsubaki

Kurotsubaki Reincarnation of the Seven Deadly Sins

Reading List:
    Link
    Like the history from fakku (yeah, i only know this one). First is free, second is partially pay, third is partially free, and last is full pay

Ghost_Spawn likes this.
  3. TypeFantasyHeart

TypeFantasyHeart Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    there are 2 kinds of SS... the ones you pay, and the ones you get daily by checking in and voting... in 2 weeks premium chapters will only be unlocked by payed SS

readerz and Asf like this.
  4. k1nk4

k1nk4 Sage Verdurous Sea Turtle

Reading List:
    Link
    does it matter? I thought only the newbies still read there.

Slayerwolfx2 and WhoCaresnovels like this.
  5. xtudiux

xtudiux Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    QI is runs by lawyers. that is how chinese runs businesses. too many betrayals. like the spratly island issues

6. WhoCaresnovels

WhoCaresnovels Krill

Reading List:
    Link
    There's no way they're gonna up their TL quality, lol. They barely hire any editors anyways and their business model is predicated on quantity not quality

Ghost_Spawn likes this.
  7. Beer_Kitty

Beer_Kitty Just a very very drunk kitty that likes beer

Reading List:
    Link
    It only says for the 2 books named in the post. I dont see them saying "all novels under them would be under a paywall".

Triggering riot?

8. OtherSummoner

OtherSummoner Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    As it said, they will remove the free daily mechanism. Means that your not gonna be able to use spirit stones to unlock chapters

9. Yukkuri Oniisan

Yukkuri Oniisan 『Procrastinator Archwizard Translator and Writer』

Reading List:
    Link
    Well, they want your money one way or another. After all, they are for profit company, so I am not that surprised by this move, and this is the norm for any other commercial native Asian webnovel platform. If only they are more honest about this and not giving false promises like insincere politicians.

10. bookwormer

bookwormer Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Whoever the fuck thought this wasn't coming needs to go get reborn. This was so fucking obvious it was gonna happen.

First spirit stone currency. Then no patreon. Then premium system. Now "limited time unlocking" for a paywall afterwards. I'll be a prophet and say that there will be no "limited time unlocking" a few months from now and its just a quiet paywall. Its continuously tightening the noose and people are sticking their heads in yelling "more daddy, more!"

As much as I love Release that witch, I'm dropping all Qidian shit. No more daddy! Volre Novel's God of Illusions just came out and is on my list, gonna read that instead. Wish there were more chaps tho.

OMEGALUL. So this is what a Qidian fanboi looks like. Hey when I buy shit sometimes I get buy 1 get 1, so I'm not really being cockblocked by a paywall, because some of it's free! Look bro, its okay if you're wrong. You don't need to double down to pretend like you're not.

Kaiser Megami likes this.
  11. LynneSuzuran

LynneSuzuran JP Translator and Author

Reading List:
    Link
    If I download those two novels during when they are free, will the chapters be locked and disappear from my downloaded library in Webnovel app btw?

12. rexzshadow

rexzshadow Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm more curious on the amount of chapters thats going to be perm locked behind premium after a novel is finished. As we all know different translators set up different amount of premium chapters. Some where its not that bad but you have others where there is 200 free chapters and 350+ premium chapter because its their translating 1 free 2 premium a day. So if those novels get the same treatment that means like 30% of the novel is free and rest of the 70% all premium forever?

What happen with the novels that only have like say 20 premium chapters ahead or none. Do they magically get x% of the final chapters premium? (I assume so or else there would literally be no income from those novels)

Also for people staying its only for 2 novels really? Like 99.99% chance every single finished novel will follow this trend which honestly make sense. Their already bleeding money like crazy and if complete novel become completely free then they make no money and probably aren't making back the money that went into paying for the translation. They created a system where only way to remotely sustain themselves is to make everything paywall. Which its their choice on what they want to do. I personally have no issue with the paywall itself(even if I do have issue with the quality of said contents behind paywall) but I mean its all QI's own fault in shooting themselves in the foot.

Only reason the reaction is so negative is because of all the stuff they said themselves in the past. Literally if QI had zero PR they would have better public image than now. Meaning if they just never bother to try PR at all they would be doing better than they are right now lol.

13. Raizhee

Raizhee who

Reading List:
    Link
    Fuck this shite.... I hope they do the same to the ones I read on QI.

In 2 weeks of free reading I can get several of them done before they unlock forever.

14. Disgusting

Disgusting Fetishist

Reading List:
    Link
    First off, Im not sure if CKTalon even owes any of u fuckers any chapters.
    Second, he probably tried to keep this "paywall" down out of his own goodwill.
    Third point is that he has/had no definite control over these matters.
    So yall need to stop crying cuz QI contracted him. Although its probably a shit contract he has to do what he has to do.
    Does no one remember when he translated for free/donations?

lafiel11 and TooLazyToThink like this.
  15. Houye

Houye Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I like this... I would like it more if I'd actually read those novels though.

16. phoenom

phoenom Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    you guys focus on wrong things here .
    instead of paywall or cktalon, you guys should focus on free 2 weeks periods .
    why it is free 2 weeks ? why didn't they just instant paywall / whateverwall the chapter instead of giving free 2 weeks ?

my guess and maybe obvious one , they are testing the water . if it is muddy enough maybe they will hold or even cancel the plan .

Astaroth likes this.
  17. shellshocked

shellshocked Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    If you're a pirate, this doesn't matter much.
    Where are my paperback copies? All I want is on-demand physical copies.

18. Rethorian

Rethorian Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Just out of curiousity, when has Qidian ever backtracked? When has anyone ever given them the benefit of the doubt without getting their face slapped later? People said they were just trying things when they DMCA'd old translators, when they 'accidently' stole Wuxiaworld translations, first adwalled chapters, when they made premium novels, etc.

Maybe people will give Qidian the benefit of the doubt when they deserve it?

In the meantime, all we can do is wait and see whether this monetisation model works. If it flops, that's good for readers, if it's not, then dark times loom ahead as others look into adopting it. And honestly, it's not even good for authors or translators, do you really think they're going to see any of that money? It's gonna go into Qidian's pockets.

19. Pizz0011

Pizz0011 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    doesn't shock me has lied as he done that when I've chatted to him ad's revenues on qi CKtalon give me a lot of bs, about the website money vs mobile app but over the last month they've in fact made the skip time lower, so making it so they are in fact making less as they cut the time from 15 sec down to 8secs before the skipping

20. phoenom

phoenom Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    1.did anyone ever question about DMCA thing ? off all things that QI done , DMCA is the most justifiable one . sure people raging about it , but honestly people seems not care that much about it since QI is not the first one who DMCA things on internet.
    2. i did not see much people raging about adwalled here . yes they mad but it just sligthly incovenience . most argument comes down to i want free chapter without doing anything and running adblock in browser (if you just like me who whitelist some site like wuxiaword on ublock origin and doing some clicks on ads because you cannot afford patreon, then its not different).
    3. Premium chapter . many people raging , some people give benefit of doubt . nothing much to see here.
    4. Wuxiaworld problem . many people raging , no one give benefit of doubt . QI is wrong but WW is not fully innocent .

So from what i can see from my time lurking here , there is single time that people give benefit of doubt and that is about premium chapter thing.

i don't know how much money goes for author or translator since speculation about their bad contract is mere speculation with sources coming from post of some people. but honestly , i don't really surprised if higher percentage of money going into QI pocket. it is normal business things, even some non-asian companies even more cruel to their employee and competitor. Amazon, Intel, Apple etc do those things.

it just people here still seeing translations scene as enjoyable hobby, when the directions the whole translation scene is going for business and industrialization (tbh from my view, it all started when patreon / donation chapter becomes normal or standard)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.