Need a PC build

Discussion in 'Tech Discussion' started by Okuri Ookami, Jul 18, 2018.

1. Lucresia

Lucresia Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    https://pcpartpicker.com/list/QVBzkd
    You can take off the video card and monitor to make it fit into your budget. Add or take things off to fit your need. Most how to build tutorial only has the price for the PC and not any external application such as monitor and keyboard, so if you are planning to get those it will probably be another $100 - $200 added on depending on what you buy. Tax is not calculated in as it can vary depending on where you live. I recommend you save your money and make it a 800 budget and up. There are some sales going on so you should be able to make it work. Good Luck.

Okuri Ookami likes this.
  2. Okuri Ookami

Okuri Ookami 'Chi Chi Chi' calls the Sparrow

Reading List:
    Link
    Looks like motherboards are really important i have to take this serious, thank you for the info

3. Okuri Ookami

Reading List:
    Link
    i think i'll up the budget to an $800 to 1k range if i really cant work around it, saving money can't be saving frustrations but I'd rather avoid to much expenditures and start to upgrade once BlackFriday comes or other such events. Then I can build the PC I really want and need from this base frame work. Granted it wont be anything to extreme

Lucresia likes this.
  4. bob3002

bob3002 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm going to assume you're in the USA because you said dollars. Basically BF V is your latest game so I based it around the recommended specs. Warframe will run on almost anything modern so it's not worth worrying about.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/2KmNvn
    Base Total: $887.20
    Promo Discounts: -$14.99
    Mail-in Rebates: -$60.00
    Shipping: $7.98
    Total: $820.19
    • AMD Ryzen 1600 is last-gen but that gets you cheaper motherboards (and the 2600 isn't much faster for $20 more). You get 6 cores/12 threads for a bit of future-proofing, and a decent enough stock cooler included (which saves you at least $25). 6 cores should be enough for a bit of streaming and gaming at the same time.
    • Motherboard is among the cheapest B350 motherboards listed, but feel free to look around for other options. I figured you wouldn't mind micro-ATX instead of ATX because the difference is two fewer expansion slots. The B350 chipset is compatible with all Ryzen first gen processors without a firmware upgrade.
    • Memory is cheapest 2x8GB DDR4 kit listed, because Battlefield V recommends 12 GB. You can add two more DIMMs later to extend your system's life.
    • Storage is a budget 480GB SSD. I wouldn't recommend much smaller for a gaming PC, and the responsiveness of an SSD is way better than a larger but cheaper HDD. Premium SSDs aren't exactly worth their extra price for a gaming PC. If your current HDD is SATA you can move it over and use it as extra storage.
    • No optical drive (They're cheap, or move one from the old PC)
    • For the GPU I chose the AMD Radeon RX580. BF V recommends it or the GeForce 1060 and this is $20 cheaper right now. In other games the two perform just about the same. Be aware that the Ryzen 1600 has no built in graphics, so you must get a graphics card right at the start.
    • Case and power supply are basic no-frills choices from reliable manufacturers that happen to have good rebates right now. Feel free to choose others, but be aware that cheap no-brand power supply could (in rare cases) die and destroy your whole system. 500W is plenty for a system with a peak power draw of ~330W because most PSUs are most efficient between 20% and 80% power draw.
    • Windows 10 Home for the OS. No big surprise here.
    Now, for the keyboard, it sounds like you used to use something similar to an IBM Model M keyboard. That keyboard used a type of switch (buckling spring) that isn't very common these days, although you can buy one from Unicomp (they're quite expensive). The Cherry switches are all different from that design in various ways.
    I'd definitely say that you should definitely try mechanical keyboards in person before buying. There are a lot of types of Cherry switches, and if you don't know what you like you'll invest a lot of money in something you might not like. For example, blues are clicky (and the click is very grating to me but others love it) while browns have a small tactile bump on the way down and reds/blacks are linear with no bumps. Without trying one you in person won't know which one you prefer. There are also a lot of imitations of the Cherry design nowadays (their patents expired) by companies like Gateron, Outemmu, or Kailh/Kaihua so you have a lot of cheaper options that are almost as good. If you really can't try some in person, maybe check out one of the cheaper keyboards in this Youtube roundup, or buy a switch tester off of Amazon, instead of dropping $100 on a name-brand model immediately.

5. Okuri Ookami

Reading List:
    Link
    You if I ask the geniuses at Best buy you think they'll have a few ready for testing? God it's been maybe a decade and a half since I went in a best buy

I'm willing to shell out a little more for the keyboard

6. bob3002

Reading List:
    Link
    The last time I went to Best Buy a few months ago they only had Logitech and Microsoft keyboards. Logitech has their own switch design for mechanicals but most of theirs are membrane. Microsoft keyboards are all membrane IIRC.

If you live near a Microcenter or a Fry's they would likely have mechanical KB samples to try. Otherwise the cheapest option is to try a friend's, second cheapest is to buy a switch tester. Good luck with your search.

7. Needhydra

Needhydra Everything is on Fire

Reading List:
    Link
    TLDR: cheap pc is a used one with new ram and graphics card,
    if you are fine with not having the best or maybe decent Battlefield V as 8gb drops about 10fps on low compared to 16gb in BF1 50-60fps to 45-55fps. the prebuilt options are the best and just up[grade ram when you get a chance
    If you want to spend more then 800 usd then do bob3002 list its solid.
    oh and a cheap popular monitor at the bottom

Ok if you are in the US you can buy surplus computers from a university or any public organization. look for a dell or hp that looks like it belongs in a school.
    HP Compaq Elite 8300 - CMT is a good computer yes the cpu is 5 generations old but its an quad core i7 that is fine for gaming. all you need to do is put in new graphics card and some ram. well anything above a gt 1030 and a 5-6 generation old i7 can play warframe because i build a gaming pc out of a old hp 8200 sff and a gt1030 and that what they play but i would BE CAREFUL with 1030s atm because there is a craptastic version with ddr4 instead of gddr5.

now at 500ish usd mark its actually cheaper and better to buy prebuilt. below is what bob3002 posted but about 100usd cheaper. you can just pick this up at best buy thou
    https://www.amazon.com/HP-Pavilion-580-023w-i5-7400-Graphics/dp/B077S27YLP
    https://www.amazon.com/HP-Pavilion-Desktop-Computer-580-130/dp/B075LVK78B

ok with down grade in power to save money? things have come a way where i3s are good for most things
    https://www.amazon.com/HP-Pavilion-Desktop-Computer-790-0010/dp/B07C9X64QV/

but since you want to play battlefield V which eats more ram then chrome. but the first one is a bit ehhhh and the second one is what bob3002 posted but a little worse and costs more. so just avoid these.
    https://www.amazon.com/Performance-Pavilion-Discrete-Graphics-DVD-Writer/dp/B0779KCJR2/
    https://www.amazon.com/HP-Pavilion-Flagship-Quad-core-VR-ready/dp/B078L9DB6M/

or you can do a self ram upgrade to 16gb for the 130 usd it costs or 60-70 for 12gb(1 4gb 1 8gb), because ram and gpu prices went up but only gpu prices went back down. Still in a shortage for ram and for nand but 3d nand is cheaper.

if you need monitors here a 90 -100 usd ips moniter.
    https://www.amazon.com/HP-Pavilion-...26&sr=1-3&keywords=moniter&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Okuri Ookami likes this.
  8. Okuri Ookami

Reading List:
    Link
    Ewww membrane I know what they are and don't like that I'd rather avoid that. I think I'll buy a switch tester thanks for the advice.

This is alot of information to absorb at once but I can tell it's good solid advice but with all do respect I think I'll try every one of those options that require the least interaction with people as possible. Proud to say my dominant trait is nearly 100% introversion!

9. bob3002

Reading List:
    Link
    @Okuri Ookami Turns out I mis-remembered the price of Unicomp's Model M keyboards. You can get a modern version of the chunky IBM keyboards for about $100 on Amazon nowadays, and they plug with with USB and even have Windows keys. You won't find anything new like it these days if you loved the buckling spring feel, loud as they were.

The problem with prebuilt computers is that they might include stuff you don't want while skimping on stuff you do. Of course, because the big builders buy in volume they can include extras (like card readers, and a cheap mouse+kb) that you normally wouldn't buy alone. They also pay a lot less for the Windows license than you would at retail, which might end up saving you money. If you do find a prebuilt that gives you everything you want at about the same price, I would jump on it instead of building. You get support and warranty for the whole thing instead of every little part, which is way easier. Building your own really starts making sense in the $900+ range or if you have special need for an unbalanced PC.

Okuri Ookami likes this.
  10. Okuri Ookami

Reading List:
    Link
    I saw a Linus tech vid on YouTube and there is a modern version of the I'm that was recently made but in the fashion that of the company that originally bought IBM out. These were former employees that bought the rights slowly over the years.

I may go the route of prebuilt but I need at least 8 gb of ram and it has to run multiple software at once. I'll mainly be using it for gaming and typing as I read on my phone and watch videos on casting devices on other than YouTube

11. bob3002

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah I think I saw that one too. It's about the company Unicomp that I mentioned before.

I forgot about one thing that might be a significant downside when gaming. The Model M has only 2-key rollover, meaning if you have two keys depressed and you push a third it may not register. This might be a problem if, for example, you have W and A pushed down because you're moving forward to and the left, and you want to jump. This problem carries forward into Unicomp's re-created versions. If you're simply typing it won't matter. Something to consider when choosing a board for gaming anyways.

This prebuilt might serve you well. It's similar to the one @Needhydra linked earlier. Compared to the parts I listed, it's about $50-100 cheaper, with the following caveats/changes:
    1. The CPU is downgraded from a Ryzen 5 1600 to a Ryzen 5 1400. It's 4 cores/8 threads instead of 6 cores/12 threads. Most software will run just fine. Casting videos to other devices and reading are not nearly as demanding as gaming, obviously, so 4 gigs will do fine. If you try to capture and transcode your gaming for streaming, you might run into issues but arguably even 6 cores isn't enough for that.
    2. The system memory goes down from 16 GB to 8 GB. On the plus side, when memory gets cheap again it's really easy to add more. On the downside it comes as 2x 4 gig sticks so you'll need to buy a whole 2x 8 gig kit to upgrade.
    3. The RX580 graphics card has 4 GB of memory instead of 8 GB, so it might run slower with "ultra" quality game textures. Below that it should be about the same.
    4. 480 gig SSD is replaced with 256 gig SSD + 1 TB HDD. Arguably better or worse depending on what you do.
    5. Wireless built in (plus for the prebuilt)
    6. Comes with card reader and USB-C port on the front (plus for the prebuilt)
    And of course, not having to put it together and having a warranty on the whole thing is a plus for the prebuilt too.

Good luck, hope I haven't flooded you with too much info.

Okuri Ookami likes this.
  12. Okuri Ookami

Reading List:
    Link
    Hmmm might be a problem as I literally hold down w and a or d when playing games unless I'm walking backwards. I'ma hold one button down kinda guy and use another...

I've never had an up to date console and this will be my first seriously pc (only ever used stock laptops) and first serious pc since switching to master race (PC gamers rejoice!)

Nah I take all of the advice seriously and am very thankful ya'll have taken the time to educate and or give helpful suggestions to a tech simpleton like myself