Question Stupidest Reason to drop

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Insanityplea, Jul 19, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Insanityplea

Insanityplea *Head Tilt*....*Fart*

Reading List:
    Link
    WARNING! SPOILERS OF NOVELS MAY BE SITED!
    TURN BACK IF YOU HATE SPOILERS!

What is one of the stupidest reasons you dropped a novel or stopped reading one?

Bad translations, dropped by author/translator and the like arnt really stupid reasons.

I ask this cause a novel I started reading had me going alright, its largest flaw til I stopped reading it was the author had the Over Explanation trait near max level. Annoying but acceptable, can always skip the unneeded paragraphs on game elements.

So what actually made me drop this novel? Cant say I HAVE dropped it, just havnt read it for a few days and im only on chapter 32 of something like 300 translated. So what has given me pause then? The MC is an older individual, like 45/46 when he died and reborn (is that transmigration of the soul or just reincarnation?) in another world. During his life he was in the JSDF, GDF and trained with Bayonet then, instead of taking the time to train with a spear, sword or any other 15th century weapon he decides to make a stick roughly shaped like a rifle and continue using a bayonet in this new world!

Look I get it, hes attached to bayonets and its kinda like a glaive but cmon if your gonna use that atleast make a functioning gun to stick it on instead of a crappy malformed spear. But besides wanting to give the MC a novel weapon, theres literally no reason to do this. He was born as an infant and could take the time to learn a weapon that wont get him some weird stares all the time.

Anyways, its a weird reason to stop reading/think of dropping a novel which got me thinking.."what other reasons that might come across as stupid to others have others dropped a novel for?" so, tada!

To mods, if you feel Spoiler should be the main prefix or im just too stupid to attach 2 Prefix, feel free to tack on Spoiler. Also feel free to move this thread if you feel it belongs somewhere else :unsure:.

ah for reference its
    Otoko Nara Ikkokuichijou no Aruji o Mezasa Nakya, ne?

Oh and I guess this could be a like PS?
    If a thread like this exists, oops? I did Search for one but considering the word "Novel" is in it, almost every thread in existence gets pinged as a potential search.

reagents 11 and Astaroth like this.
  2. Digix

Digix Owl-sama Follower

Reading List:
    Link
    ah yes the main reason why I dropped that novel it was continuous exposition with very little story advancement for the first 100+ chapters

Bad Storm and Cosmic_ like this.
  3. Omnicast

Omnicast Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Hahaha I remember that shit! I dropped it roughly when he introduced rubber.

Tried reading it again and dropped it once more. The over the top filler info pissed me off to no end. Seriously I don’t need to understand how all the god damn material in the world work just move the story along!!!

I usually drop stories because of many reasons. Some of those would be Mc doing stupid shit like sparing or forgiving people that shouldn’t be spared/forgiven.

Or when an arc drags on without progress or when a character is open, but he either fails to recognize it and utilize it properly or when he fears his own powers and then does something stupid like failing to save someone he cared about because of his stupid unreasonable fear.

Multiple POV switches every X chapters is shit too. I don’t give two rats asses about the villain usually. Most of them are throwaways too. Those that live too long also become a hinderance. Rarely can someone write a proper villain.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2018
  4. elengee

elengee Daoist Ninefaps

Reading List:
    Link
    I dropped reading this topic when i saw 'sited' :blob_coughblood:

otaku31, Bad Storm, Omnicast and 9 others like this.
  5. valzione

valzione Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Read a novel on rrl, author kept writing 30-ish long ass chapters about same time period from viewpoints of different characters and didn't seem to be stopping any time soon, and none of the chapters beyond first 3 added anything anymore

Bad Storm and Cosmic_ like this.
  6. camroc

camroc Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Martial God Asura. When they introduced "half step" level of cultivation with 10 ranks, equivalent power tiers to their previous ranking system. It also got annoying with battle power being different from cultivation level which means everyone's battling than their cultivation level.

Arcelia likes this.
  7. Odyssey

Odyssey Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    or when he stopped being an asura.......he became way too forgiving during one whole arc of the story

elengee likes this.
  8. DreadLord

DreadLord Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I remember a CN I dropped from my reading list is cause the MC was being a two faced asshole who rewards people for not going against him too much.

Cosmic_ likes this.
  9. Renaxan

Renaxan [Ero Culture Enthusiast]

Reading List:
    Link
    Oh that novel i have reading and drop long time ago when im not registered in NU, and find it because this thread.. still im losing my track now.
    I drop that because the novel have too much unnecessary detail while zero in character, trying style like "kumo desu ga? nani ka" novel with other reincarnate have his own story. still a failure.

Maybe i'll continue later, some day..

10. mmsupreme

mmsupreme How do I change my custom title?

Reading List:
    Link
    Too many updates in a short period of time

11. rijimon17

rijimon17 Hope you can read the words

Reading List:
    Link
    Too many other novels. Surprisingly when I get even an ounce of boredom ( usually the result of reading 4-hours too long) I would find a different novel to read. After reading said novel I would look back and just stare at the previous novel title. Eventually it goes to the think about it folder where I go back to it 3-4 months later ( at minimum) and spend 20-30 ongoing chapters relearning who the characters are and what they were doing in current Arc.

Cosmic_, inavie98 and Insanityplea like this.
  12. Disgusting

Disgusting Fetishist

Reading List:
    Link
    ED. Do i even have to x plane?

13. bob3002

bob3002 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    This has happened several times: I start building up chapters because the story is moving too slowly, then I realize I'm 50+ chapters back and I'd rather start reading a new story than get caught back up.

I think I'm chasing that feeling of discovery when I first got into web novels, finding out about Coiling Dragon and reading the whole thing in a week. Maybe I should wait for more series to be completely translated so I can truly binge-read them.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2018
    Cosmic_, fairbouy and starwarscards like this.
  14. reagents 11

reagents 11 disaster personified

Reading List:
    Link
    New meta. Don't be angry stay calm !

15. FussyBadger

FussyBadger Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    OP they do explain the gun thing in a lot more depth later if you can believe it. I know it might seem like its not explained enough right now but it will make sense in the later half of the second arc.

A novel I didn't drop but should have and is the closest answer to your question is Epoch of Twilight

Edit: Just looked at my drop list and out of the list that I have there its summoned slaughterer

16. Estarossa

Estarossa 《Master of Dessert》°Resurrected Ghoul°

Reading List:
    Link
    You stop reading because of Erectile Dysfunction? Is ecchi/smut all you read? :sweating_profusely:

kenar, runsing and HappyHavak like this.
  17. fairbouy

fairbouy Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    dropped superstar because the guy got a girlfriend when i had him shipped with the land lady from the start

kjtn77 and moevora like this.
  18. Rwings

Rwings Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I dropped a novel today because in the first page the main character referred to himself as a nerd three times. Novel was published in 2012 so its not like being a nerd is a derogatory thing like it used to be and I can't stand authors who have self deprecating main characters who obsess about something that isn't a problem to begin with.

I also drop any novels that break the fourth wall. I don't want the author to wink wink at me about how this is a novel. I especially don't want a character to try justifying their actions to me the reader. 'I wailed around and screamed like a little kid because the monster was scary, I'd like to see you do better', ya no thanks. Don't need to have my thoughts and actions be heavy handling dictated by the author. I want to be lost in the story not constantly reminded it is a story.

Cosmic_ and fairbouy like this.
  19. Sin

Sin Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Besides a novel getting boring / completely repetitive & qidan taking over, probably nothing.

However I wanted to throw my phone at the ground on coiling dragon. Primarily because of a single phrase that was 100% over used. (Didn't know whether to laugh or cry) That phrase is annoying and rather cringe worthy.:notlikeblob:

20. fairbouy

fairbouy Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    have dropped a few before just because i saw they were tagged harem+romantic subplot which means the mc normally uses them as background ornaments or just for sex so annoying!

Cosmic_ likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.