Japanese Children Shows

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Hasu, Jul 20, 2018.

1. Hasu

Hasu Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Hello everyone! I'm interested in learning Japanese, and I've read quite an amount of articles about it. Most of them, if not all, involve either an application, an online course, or a book and a teacher. I went with the first option and downloaded a game called 'Learn Japanese To Survive! Hiragana Battle' since it seems like a good way to learn. It was worth the money, but now I want to expand my vocabulary and know how to make proper sentences. Since I learned how to speak English through cartoons and the like, I thought that it seemed like a good idea to learn Japanese in the same fashion. Might as well learn like how a child does. So I want to watch something like a Japanese equivalent of Martha Speaks and something that could teach me some slang like how shows like Adventure Time did in English. And possibly a show about Japanese culture, since I barely know anything about it.

So I was wondering, what should I watch? I need some help with this, so if you guys know any good shows, please tell me.

2. aegis062

aegis062 Chaotic Demon Emperor

Reading List:
    Link
    I don' t recommend learning from shows meant for children as a child's brain works differently from teen or adult what makes sense to children might look weird or might not compute to your thought process. You can find programs that teach you Japanese on youtube and they explain with subtitles I saw it going around youtube I can't remember the youtuber I just know it was a teacher on a board with a marker.

Hasu likes this.
  3. Hasu

Hasu Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I see. That makes sense. I'll heed your advice, but I think I should try both since I've got nothing to lose. My thoughts are pretty much the same as a child anyways, lol.

4. aegis062

aegis062 Chaotic Demon Emperor

Reading List:
    Link
    I understand what you mean about learning from cartoons or children shows because I did it too, but that was when we were kids or at least I was a kid. I learn watching power rangers the original ones.

Hasu likes this.
  5. Mr. Meh Man

Mr. Meh Man Subtly suggests yuri

Reading List:
    Link
    Watch untranslated Pokemon. You might need to learn the names of the Pokemon and attacks in Japanese to help, though.

Hasu likes this.
  6. fteg123

fteg123 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Some suggestions (not really for learning, but they are interesting and informative)
    Detective Conan
    Natsume Yuujinchou (The Book of Friends)
    Doraemon
    https://www.fluentu.com/blog/japanese/learn-japanese-kids-cartoons/
    Mashin hero Wataru
    Element hunters
    Any food anime could also work.
    Food Wars
    Yakitate! Japan
    Ghibli Movies
    Kaidan Restaurant
    Capeta

Last edited: Jul 20, 2018
    Hasu likes this.
  7. Hasu

Hasu Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Sounds good, thanks.

8. Chiiiiiiiii

Chiiiiiiiii >Daoist Thirteen Bears< >Hero Astral Saber<

Reading List:
    Link
  9. Hasu

Hasu Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
  10. Ars Nova

Ars Nova Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    For film, Crayon Shin-chan would be pretty good since it uses simple sentences, and there's no "high level" Japanese involved, so it's a good learning material for beginner.

But if you ask for my opinion, I would actually recommend those learning books with videos, especially the notoriously good ones. I'm currently halfway to N4 after 2 months of using it.

Hasu likes this.
  11. Hasu

Hasu Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I see. I'll try and look for those things. I tried buying books in a bookstore, but it's nowhere near efficient and riddled with mistakes. Can you tell me what you used to learn?