Discussion QI take over of TGR

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Billdoor, Jul 19, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rexzshadow

rexzshadow Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The rule isn't remain 50 chapters ahead, the rule is just to translate 50 chapters period to be listed. You can translate the first 50 chapter and be listed but it be kinda pointless if you're trying to steal the translation.

2. Dark Omega

Dark Omega Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I was not talking about Qidian specifically or its issues with wuxiaworld. I was just stating that even if you are at a weaker position you can still seek relief with the law. As to the advantages or disadvantages of suing Qidian, well, only Ren and WW could answer you.

3. tomanonimos

tomanonimos Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Its going to be interesting watching what NU does going forward. It's obvious that the intent of the rule was to deal with issues where the translator was lacking (slow releases, stopped translating, etc.). It wasn't meant to be used as a loophole to steal translations.

4. rexzshadow

Reading List:
    Link
    Ofc you can seek relief from the law but fact remains that unless its a pretty big deal its near impossible to get anything out of it. Like say there some issue with your galaxy S9 but Samsung won't replace/fix it. Are you going to go into years of lawsuit and tens of thousands of dollars of lawyer fee for a 800 dollar phone?
    And that's in the states where companies merely just crush you through dragging out cases so you quit due to legal fee. In china you also have to deal with rampant amount of bribery that goes around as well making it even more difficult. Only time you win is because the news gotten so big that the government is involved in cracking down on it or you have big enough backer yourself.

Definitely curious as well because this is clearly a malicious attempt at taking over the views from someone else.

5. Dark Omega

Dark Omega Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm curious, do you have actual experience in HK litigation or its judicial system?

6. Wujigege

Wujigege *Christian*SIMP*Comedian

Reading List:
    Link
    It is nothing new. Translators who have gone missing for 6 months have come back when others pick up their novels
    Some release a chapter every 3 months to circumvent pick up request rules
    From what I know NU is not a business, NU should not even be involved at all
    Creating rules for one company on a hobby project seems like overkill to me

TooLazyToThink likes this.
  7. Sir Edric

Sir Edric Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    NU is a community, a community that used to care about reading kick ass novels that were translated by people who also like kick ass novels. NU has a responsibility to support the people who once made this such a wonderful and inviting place. Anyone who feels otherwise is part of the toxicity that has pervaded this community, and is no better then the piece of shit who decided it was ok to steal someones hard work.

kenar likes this.
  8. Fluffums

Fluffums 【R-18 Researcher】【Seeker of Moe】

Reading List:
    Link
    That's a pretty toxic outlook itself. I wasn't really planning on joining because what I usually say has already been said, but you can't place responsibilities on NU like that, okay? The people in charge here are making it easier for people to find translated novels. That's all. The only "responsibility" (that they put on themselves) is following the rules they set for themselves. Maybe they'll change the rules, maybe not, but you're not their employer and you do not have the authority to give them responsibilities.

9. Sir Edric

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm a fan, just like you are a fan. however the amount of influence I have to make an positive change in this community is largely limited to supporting the translators who enable me to enjoy the works I do. I like to believe that the powers that be who control this community would want to stand up for those people who have been the backbone of the community since its inception, not enable the bad behaviors which have caused this red vs. blue mentality. They control the rules, they have the influence on the community and the authority to use that influence. As a fan I can and will continue to speak out when i feel the community is doing a shit job supporting the people who I feel they should be supporting. Further more I will levy my expectations upon this community, because I love this community.

LeaningMaple likes this.
  10. tides

tides Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    ethics is for people with 100 max social score

people with infinite social score on the other hand....

11. Wujigege

Reading List:
    Link
    You are missing the point.
    NU is not the government, specifically the justice department.
    You are not paying taxes and deserve something in return.
    Qidian can DMCA all their novels on NU. Imagine if 30 of the biggest publishers do that.
    Do not overestimate the power of non paying consumers.
    Besides there is a cost to implementing so many restrictions. Are you going to pay moderators to track poachers? It's not just Qidian.
    Even if there is no monetary cost there is the time cost.
    Release filtering is sufficient.
    Besides having one body play judge, jury, and executioner is dangerous.

12. Sir Edric

Reading List:
    Link
    I understand your point just fine, you are missing the crux of what i am trying to say, that is that the community has a responsibility to take care of their own. If you don't make an effort to speak up for the people who are apart of the community, or to take it a step further and speak down about said people or community, are you not supporting the toxic behavior or feeding into it?

The people who do donate their time (you know the ones who love the community) should support translators who blatantly are being taken advantage of, and if they have a vehicle to show their support (much how I am speaking out in this thread) why shouldn't they? I am not advocating NU to play judge, jury, executioner, I am lobbying for the community to respond. NU is apart of this community and should act as such.

Is it going to make a huge difference even if there was some action taken? nope, most likely not. But at least the people who do give us - the non paying consumer (and Patreon supporter) - wonderful kick ass novels to read will know that we support them.

13. Wujigege

Reading List:
    Link
    It's just words. I suggested a sort of union a few months ago and got laughed at.
    Words will do nothing. This forum is a bubble, the traffic here is a tiny fraction of the ones on NU.
    Without a form of union or legal representation people will get exploited.
    It is capitalism 101.
    People think calling themselves fan translators will provide a halo of protection it is naive.
    What about translators who screw over members of this community who started a business like J-Novel's Sam?
    Xianxiaworld who ran pirate sites and stole wuxiaworld content...
    You are asking for too much...
    A police will be expensive. ..

14. LeaningMaple

LeaningMaple Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    All right, then... I was hoping that NU staff might reconsider the 50-chapter guideline (or should I say rule, since it's being treated as a strict standard) to judge project stealing now that it's being exploited via mass releases to target a rival's healthy translation project. If that's really not possible, maybe it would be appropriate for a NU coder to take the time to allow readers to pick between multiple concurrent translators, because my reading list shows QI's chapter as the latest chapter under "Latest Release" instead of WW's latest chapter, and will probably continue to go back and forth like that, making it unusable.

I do sympathize with the difficulty NU has with this kind of situation. The issue with NU and so-called neutrality is that NU's model relies on attempting to choose one translation project for each series. When you have WW and QI which is obviously trying to compete with WW and steal their translator's work and outpace them release-wise, NU not making a choice just confuses everyone unless one of the projects gives up (as was always the case between fan translators, but is not necessarily the case with sites like QI and WW who have reasons to persevere). It's not NU's fault that QI has long been tearing apart the previously close-knit and friendly community, but they're forced to try to deal with it...

It's good that I recently noticed that WW's bookmark feature fixed the bug where it counted teasers and is now fairly usable, so I've started to use it somewhat in place of NU. Well, I'll still rely on NU to periodically scope out hot new series, read reviews, check series info, and so on.

Wujigege likes this.
  15. haremking

haremking Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    they need money :) they need more money.

hmm, big company bully small ones. lol.

Do they even care? Nah.

Why? They need money.

Why do they need money? They are poor.

haha

16. Asf

Asf 《《The aria of souls》》

Reading List:
    Link
    Ten cent is uber rich tho..
    They just have an ambitious project, but poor execution and market on english web novel reader..

17. alamptr

alamptr What should i put here

Reading List:
    Link
    At this point i really doubts if it is about money.

I am 100% sure it is to wreck wuxiaworld by demotivating their translator.

That translator hide 24 chapter under in house patreon, then suddenly boom, qi translate 50 chapter ahead.

runsing and Asf like this.
  18. rexzshadow

Reading List:
    Link
    In the end the readers decide what they want. Either reader continue to support current translator and thing go on as it. Or the translator can't sustain with the lack of support so the novel either get put a slower release or dropped.

As much as it sucks but translators need to be making enough to support themselves to translate at a fast pace. If they can't support themselves due to readers not supporting them then they can only lower translation speed so its only a part time thing or translate something else that might support them. In the end no matter what NU does still on the readers themselves to decide.

19. checkm8

checkm8 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    So I was banned today on the Webnovel forum for the below post:

Post Title:
    Qidian(Webnovel) license poaching - Original Authors BEWARE!

So just saw that Webnovel poached another translation (The Great Ruler) that Qidian(Webnovel) had licensed to another English Publisher. The Great Ruler is a novel that already has a steady & fast translation speed at 10+ chapters weekly.

For Original Authors considering signing contracts with China Literature & Webnovel:

Why sign with a company that has no respect for the legal rights of authors & translators?

Why sign with a company that tramples over the hard work and creativity of authors & translators?

Why sign with a company whose only purpose seems to be stirring up trouble?

Why sign with a company whose only goal is to have the author permanently sign away their copyright ownership of their novels?

When a company attempts to permanently own another's hard work (like a novel) it almost always means they are shady. Shady companies respect no one, not their authors nor their contracts.

Webnovel is about as shady as they come. They are toxic to the translation scene, and they are toxic to the Original English novel scene.
    Not only was I banned, but the thread was hidden (not just locked), not allowing any type of discourse.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2018
    kenar likes this.
  20. TooLazyToThink

TooLazyToThink Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Do you expect getting an applause from them when you are wrecking havoc on their own website lol

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.