Spoiler The Founder of Diabolism

Discussion in 'Spoilers' started by kiara8, Mar 29, 2017.

1. Randomizer

Randomizer Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    My two cents on JC's attitude (sorry for the incoming wall of text!).

JC is similar to his mother in that he bitterly remembers all the times he's been 'wronged' (real or not). In WWX's case, it's particularly painful because they grew up together and were once so close. He puts all the blame on WWX, but since the man's already dead he takes out his anger on others (some of whom were entirely innocent)… so when WWX reappears JC throws all the loneliness and anger built up over 13 years at his feet. Though initially at Dafan Mountain JC was definitely trying to 'kill' WWX by attacking with ZiDian, so IMO he also wants revenge of sorts.

It's a parallel to how JC refused to help and wanted to prevent WWX from helping innocent, mostly frail and elderly Wen sect members - despite Wen Ning and Wen Qing risking their lives to rescue him and recover his parents' bodies. JC's hatred for the Wen sect wasn't satisfied with their near-complete extinction in Sunshot Campaign.

I disagree with previous posters who said that JC wanted to help WWX but couldn't - I believe he didn't want to in the first place. He actually demands WWX hand them over at first and attacks Wen Ning. Earlier when the four sect leaders were meeting, LXC was already speaking up for Wen Qing. Although NMJ doesn't like the Wen clan he also places great value on life-debts (he spared JGY because of this); also his primary objection was that Wen Qing did not try to stop her sect leader's atrocities. When JC mentions that he and WWX owe the Wen siblings a debt, NMJ even asks what kind of debt they owe - giving JC the perfect opportunity to explain that the Wen siblings actively defied their leader and saved the Jiang sect from extinction (this isn't an overstatement). At that point JC would have the support/acceptance of both Lan and Nie, leaving JGS alone and relatively powerless. But he doesn't, instead succumbing to JGS's manipulation.

IMO JC is observant of the general political situation, but doesn't grasp the key point and ends up blaming WWX's so-called 'hero sickness'. He realizes that the Wen clan used the turtle-slaying incident as an excuse to subdue the Jiang sect, but instead blames WWX for saving LWJ and JZX. Likewise, he says to WWX that JGS's eyes are on him and the Stygian Tiger Amulet, but acts as if WWX protecting the Wen members caused everything to go wrong. Actually, wouldn't WWX leaving relieve pressure from JC? And even if WWX gave up the Wen members, wouldn't JGS just try again?

I look forward to everyone's interpretations once the translation reaches those chapters! I also look forward to seeing how the donghua adapts this - depending on what details they keep/remove, it may give a totally different picture of JC :blobpopcorn:

Last edited: Jul 23, 2018
  2. Fiorisi

Fiorisi [WenNing's Waifu] [Chongy's Mum] ଘ(੭ˊᵕˋ)੭

Reading List:
    Link
    Im glad that the long paragraphs were of some help:blobmelt: All the characters in this novel is just so much fun to explore! ❤

3. Fiorisi

Reading List:
    Link
    Ohh mah gawd! New info!! :aww: Lan XiChen defended Wen Qing when she handed herself over and Cheng could've potentially saved the Wen siblings fate if his state mind wasn't in such a mess. This just adds a bit more light onto XiChen's character and more details on Cheng, I love it!

4. Randomizer

Randomizer Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    This was actually right after WWX rescued the Wen members, so some years before Wen Qing and Wen Ning handed themselves in. LWJ and MianMian also speak up for WWX; MianMian has a really awesome moment here that has NMJ complimenting her courage.

As for when Wen Qing and Wen Ning handed themselves in, I don't remember if LXC said anything, but LWJ spoke up for the siblings (Wen Ning thanks him for this years later). This might imply that Wen Qing and Wen Ning chose to keep the secret of WWX's golden core despite having the opportunity to speak and potentially save themselves - they probably wanted to respect WWX's wishes.

cici, Aeli, Vin313 and 1 other person like this.
  5. Fiorisi

Reading List:
    Link
    I can't wait to read all these scenes in the novel! ❤ It's awesome to know that MianMian will get another scene other than the turtle cave incident and the ending of the novel, she's one of the few female casts, even Mingjue gave her a thumbs up:blobsmilehappyeyes: Hubby be defending the people his waifu is protecting, as expected of husbando of the year HanGuang-Jun always protecting whatever Wei cares for with unyielding devotion and seriousness~

6. Scalysharc

Scalysharc Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Btw are there any characters who got same VA for the audio drama - donghua - 同道殊途? Are they using differents VA because of copyrights? Im curious about this :blobdizzy:

7. ktonton

ktonton Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I've been trying to compile all references of dates and ages for the past events. As everyone else has complained about, it's vague between the start of the Sunshot campaign and the first LuanZang Hill. My eyes feel glazed over :blobdizzy:.
    Revised Edition, with Donghua year reference (red)

- LWJ, aged 6 (ch. 64): mother passes away.
    - WWX, aged 9 and Jiang Cheng, aged 8 or 9 (Ch. 24): Jiang FengMian finds and brings WWX back to Lotus Pier.
    - WWX, aged 15 (Ch. 13) [Donghua: Xuan Zheng Year 18]: WWX enters GusuLan Sect school (3 month duration, but WWX leaves early)
    - One year later, Qishan Discussion Conference (Ch. 45)
    - The year after Qishan Discussion Conference, JC aged 17 (Ch. 51): Busy year. WWX presumably 17 or 18.
    * GusuLan Sect burned down.
    * Indoctrination of the QishanWen Sect.
    * LWJ and WWX kill Xuanwu.
    * Half a month later, YunmengJiang Sect sacked.
    * Golden core exchange
    * WWX thrown into LuanZang Hill.
    * The four clans unite against QishanWen Sect.​
    - One month after WWX is missing (Ch. 61): The Two Jades of Lan and JC surprise attacked one of Wen Chao's facilities. Bichen and Sandu are reclaimed by their respective owners.
    - Three months after WWX is missing (Ch. 61): LWJ and JC find WWX at Wen Chao's hideout, toying with WC. LWJ asks WWX to go back to Gusu with him (Ch. 62).
    - Sunshot Campaign, duration? [Donghua: during the campaign, dated Xuan Zheng Year 20]
    - Autumn (after Sunshot Campaign), Baifeng Mountain Hunt (ch. 69): a stolen kiss
    - Two months later (ch. 71): LWJ meets WWX in Yunmeng. LWJ asks WWX again to come with him to Gusu.
    - ? Wen Ning is killed. WWX takes the Wen survivors to LuanZang Hill
    *WWX mentions residing in LuanZang Hill for ~2 years (ch. 68)​
    - WWX smear campaign intensifies
    - WWX "breaks up" with JC/YunmengJiang Sect (ch. 73).
    - A few months later; Wen Yuan, aged 2: LWJ "bumps" into Wen Yuan and WWX in YiLing (ch. 74).
    - Three days later (ch. 74), Jin ZiXuan marries Jiang Yanli. JY is with child (ch. 75).
    - Jin Ling's one month birthday ceremony (ch. 76): Jing ZiXuan killed at Qiongqi Way.
    - Wen siblings turn themselves in to LanlingJin.
    - Bloodbath of Buyetian: Jiang Yanli killed (ch. 78). Defying his clan, LWJ rescues WWX (Ch. 99) and returns to GusuLan for punishment.
    - Three months after Bloodbath of Buyetian (ch. 79): siege of LuanZang Hill, WWX dies [Donghua: death dated Xuan Zhen Year 25].
    - Soon after:
    * LWJ escapes confinement and searches the mountains of YiLing for signs of WWX.
    * A feverish Wen Yuan is rescued and brought back to GusuLan. Renamed Lan Yuan. Most likely a year passed since the YiLing meeting with LWJ to reach age 16 post WWX rebirth.
    * LWJ, with a new sun brand, returns to confinement.​
    - Two years after WWX's death: Chang Clan massacre events.
    - Three years after WWX's death: LWJ released from confinement.
    - Thirteen years after WWX's death: WWX rebirth
    - Two months after rebirth, or when LWJ/WWX bed sharing started (ch. 91+): 3rd drunk scene and final confrontation of JGY
    Edit: If you find an error or have an additional date, please let me know!

8. Attica

Attica Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Jesus Christ are you kidding me that all the present day events of the novel only take 2 months???

And it’s kind of absurd that according to the donghua years, WWX goes from “adorable kid at the Cloud Recesses” to “slaughtering Wen sect members by the hundreds with demonic cultivation” in JUST 2 YEARS

readerz and K.san like this.
  9. Crystallizes

Crystallizes Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    well he was drafted in a war
    had to grow up, very forcibly though

Darcy and OceanMagix like this.
  10. Cypress

Cypress Eh, what's "outside"? /sinks into bed

Reading List:
    Link
    You're a god for doing this!
    Wasn't it 3 yrs after Jiang YanLi death that Wei Ying dies though, and at that time Lan Zhan escaped his confiment? I'm so messed up with the old and revise version timeline...

11. Fiorisi

Reading List:
    Link
    I'll cry with you :blobsob: Guess this means we won't be getting to the present timeline in the translated novel any time soon, all the dark angsty stuff is gonna come like a tsunami at us all

12. Cypress

Cypress Eh, what's "outside"? /sinks into bed

Reading List:
    Link
    I see thank you very much! It must have taken you a lot of effort to do this I really appreciate it. I'm still suprise that the Sunshot Campaign went down is such a small amount of time. Agree censored is just :blobthumbsdown:

13. Fiorisi

Reading List:
    Link
    Chapter 57 is filled with Cheng & Wei moments, I'm crying, even more (T^T) Wei getting whipped by Madam Yu's Zidian, almost losing his right arm and even being prepared to lose it. Then there was Cheng basically clinging onto his mom begging him not to harm Wei anymore, Cheng was even held down by Madam Yu's personal maids to not help Wei out:blobsob:. Bloody hell this Wang LingJiao a slow and painful death for her wouldn't be sufficient at all

14. OceanMagix

OceanMagix Catnapping periodically. Existence is oblivious

Reading List:
    Link
    Isn’t it also written in the novel already?

Shimizu Yuki likes this.
  15. Atemues

Atemues Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Chapter 57 made me both want to slap and hug Madam Yu.

Rufi-sidd and OceanMagix like this.
  16. Aeli

Aeli Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I was not here for only a little longer than a month and it took me a few days to catch up to you all XD This thread is so lively <3

A few thoughts:
    The Donghua is interesting! I'm curious if they're going to skip the Tortoise of Slaughter part by making WWX first come in contact with the dead's energy a little earlier, because preview of the fifth episode looks like it contains the golden core motive, hm... I might be wrong, it would be sad if we wouldn't be able to see any scenes from the cave ; <

Thanks for all the fancomics translations and fanfics! You all are amazing! :blobparty:

Do any of you know if there is a possibility of buying more solid(I mean not online -> preferable CD or mp3 or something) version of audio drama? (or the one on their site is legally downloadable?). Well, anyway I probably still need to wait until I'll be back in US before I'd be able to buy anything... And my phone is an android one... (worry, worry). I hope that there will be a chance!

Stay warm everyone :cookie:

readerz, Shimizu Yuki and joktzer like this.
  17. Zora KKKKK

Zora KKKKK Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't think they will skip the Tortoise of Slaughter part anyway. Maybe the golden core in the next episode indicates Wen Zhuliu's showing up?

The director of the anime said yesterday that we'd better cherish those sweet moments so far... :blobcry:

Rufi-sidd and Aeli like this.
  18. Cemlemine

Cemlemine Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Hello everyone,
    I am new in this forum. I only see the anime 1st then I read the book in English thanks to EXILED SCANLATION.
    Thanks to everyone with spoilers, that's a big help to understand the whole history.
    Also I try to post some pictures with you but I can't.
    I don't know hos to solve it.
    If someone can help you are my life saver :love::love::love:

19. hiddenartifact

hiddenartifact Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I've always been curious about this, but isn't Lan Clan's musical notes exclusive to clan members only? Then why Wei Wuxian knows how to duet with Lan Wangji for both 'Evocation' and 'Rest'? :notworthy:

20. Soulfill

Soulfill Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    'Inquiry' is the Lan sect music. 'Evocation' and 'Rest' are more common.

readerz likes this.