The unexpected horror of a novel...

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by CodeTime, Jul 20, 2018.

?

How much time do you spend reading novels on average everyday? (Assuming you are on a break)

1. Less than 1 hour

1 vote(s)
    1.4%
  2. 1-3 hours

17 vote(s)
    24.6%
  3. 3-6 hours

16 vote(s)
    23.2%
  4. 6-9 hours

9 vote(s)
    13.0%
  5. More than 9 hours

26 vote(s)
    37.7%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CodeTime

CodeTime [Void Emperor of Time]

Reading List:
    Link
    So just about two hours ago I decided to try out a new novel. Kinda got tired of all the flashy xianxia and xuanhuan novels so decided to go for a wuxia novel only to find that there are barely any to find, most of which I have already read. Thus I settled for an older novel called "The Deer and The Cauldron." Saw that the novel was completely translated at 50 chapters so thought it would be a quick read...and here is where the horror starts. Remember how I said it is 50 chapters a moment ago? Well, its not just straight up 50 chapters but there are parts within those chapters. Not the kind of parts where the translator purposefully splits the page to get more ad revenue but actual separate parts. Whats wrong with that you may ask, well the thing that's wrong is that each part seems to have an average of 4k words. That's already double a normal chapter. There were three parts in the first chapter which is already bad but when I checked ahead, chapter 2 has 11 parts. You have to remember that I thought it would be a simple 50 refreshing chapters to add another novel to my completed list...and it turned out to be this horror. Now that I started reading this I won't be able to stop according to personal tradition of binge reading anything I start unless the novel is actually bad or ran out of new chapters which are available. So this message is more like a proclamation that I am saying goodbye to about 30 of my next hours of life which was supposed to be finished in a mere hour...
    And yes, it is summer break and I am that bored to write about this...

Prolux, Bad Storm, Fang4 and 3 others like this.
  2. Xane

Xane Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I could spend all day refreshing my reading lists for new chapters and spend a grand total of 10 minutes actually reading. If I pick up something new... I've skipped meals and forgotten to sleep from getting too into stories before.

Superioreos, Reyrey, Ophious and 3 others like this.
  3. CodeTime

CodeTime [Void Emperor of Time]

Reading List:
    Link
    Getting into a novel is the best diet since you forget about eating and are "accidentally" starving yourself

4. ToastedRossi

ToastedRossi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Jin Yong's novels have misleading chapter counts because they come out to around 25,000 words apiece in Chinese. The reason is that his books weren't written out in chapters to begin with and they were only organized like that when they were published. And so they all have regular lengths - 10, 20, 40, or 50 chapters. "The Deer and the Cauldron" comes out at around 1.2 million words altogether so it's not a short read. I love the book itself, but I wouldn't recommend it for someone looking for a typical wuxia novel. It is a good way to see where all of those xianxia and xuanhuan novels got their ideas.

5. DiabolicGod

DiabolicGod Well-known lazy Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I am either sleeping, out with friends, gaming or reading, with reading being the most frequent and also longest (over 6 hours even when I got classes and go out with friends)

6. DontLookDown

DontLookDown One with the bed

Reading List:
    Link
    You fool. The answer is simple. Read another novel at the same time and in irregular intervals so that you have to reread parts of chapters for continuity. Then you won't be wasting a mere 30 hours but rather 100.

7. raysha18

raysha18 [Blank]

Reading List:
    Link
    It depends when you get too hooked in a story, sometimes i don't notice the time.

8. HappyHavak

HappyHavak The Laughing Sage

Reading List:
    Link
    At least you picked a good novel

9. Liyus

Liyus Laksha's Desu~ Cat

Reading List:
    Link
    i need to read at least 6 hours a day or i get uneasy.....i'm not good at socializing so the only thing i can realy enjoy is reading or looking at good scenery outside as change of pace....even when it's not on a breaks...

10. userunfriendly

userunfriendly A Wild Userunfriendly Appears!

Reading List:
    Link
    You need to be slapped by a dead fish.

11. Houye

Houye Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Depends if I have a current novel that I just started. I would read around 10-12 hrs a day at the very least until I would finish that said novel.

If not then around 30-40 mins to read my daily updates ( I don't read a lot so they are a few ).

12. MasterCuddler

MasterCuddler Handsome Chicken

Reading List:
    Link
    If it’s binge reading then I will read it at any moment when I’m free- I will eat and read, shower and read, bathroom and read, on the way to somewhere and read until I’m caught up

13. zh0lvin

zh0lvin Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Well... that depends. I can spend 24H/day lol
    When I started Martial World for exemple, and I barely slept for 5 days haha
    (fortunatly I was on break. I nice insomniac break :blobsweat:).
    It took me 19 days from chapter 0 to chapter 1645.
    I recorded this on the comment section of WW https://www.wuxiaworld.com/novel/martial-world/mw-chapter-0
    (the challenge is still on, in the comments section of chapter 0, if you still didn't read Martial World haha )
    That was fun :blobhero::blobtriumph::blobninja::blob_coughblood::blobsweat:

But on average, I spend 1-3 hours a day.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.