Question Stupidest Reason to drop

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Insanityplea, Jul 19, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sin

Sin Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Didn't know whether to laugh or cry, probably shouldn't have put it in () but still was kind of obvious. Well to me anyways.

2. kaloo

kaloo Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Ahem, I have the stupidest reason.

The novels releases got too fast for me to keep up with so I dropped it. This happened most recently with Perfect World. It also happened with I Shall Seal The Heavens a couple years ago. I actually just picked that back up last week and am reading it now.

3. runsing

runsing status : bleeding, health -10/s Novel Updates Staff

Reading List:
    Link
    i dropped Child of Light because the mc is too narcisstic

i dropped CCM twice, first because the Cosmetic Care arc feels too long. but i pick it up again only to drop it second time when he was betrayed by the fire sisters. actually, it is not the betrayal that makes me drop it, but because i heard (from spoilers)
    he's gonna go soft and re-accepting them in the future. ┻━┻︵ \(°□°)/ ︵ ┻━┻

i also drop a fairly high-profiled novel when i heard the current translator (at the time i drop it) is the same guy who once messed up my reading experience of ATG and ST when his group should've been focusing on the novel at their own hands. greedy bastards.

4. Bad Storm

Bad Storm no thought, head empty

Reading List:
    Link
    I dropped a novel because I felt like I'm losing brain cells reading all that stupidity.

5. Insanityplea

Insanityplea *Head Tilt*....*Fart*

Reading List:
    Link
    Thought of another reason that is kinda stupid that I dropped something...or didnt even bother picking it up to begin with!

The cover image was terrible! Im not saying that having your 5yr old doodle cover art for a kids book or something is a bad thing. But if the summary is saying "This MC is MGA 2.0" then the cover art should not be some little pretty boy thats got a flower in his hand! He should have a woman on his dick and a bloody sword or 5 on his person and maybe another woman or two fawning over the weapons while siting on a throne made of human skeletons on a mountain of corpses. Stop making bullshit cover art!

Also dislike pretentious looking douchebag males on cover art. I know it kinda goes against what im gonna say below this.

Just saying make the cover art a bit more...relevant to the story its the face of.

Bad Storm likes this.
  6. sawsand sushi

sawsand sushi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    i was a bit lazy on separating it came in a general thought, eh ill separate it *uses parenthesis* yeah its obvious it be kinda weird if u didnt notice it encasing 70% of my blurb o_O

7. TiggerBane

TiggerBane Always asleep yep yep yep| Canidae lover

Reading List:
    Link
    Stupidest reason I stopped reading a novel is that I died!:cry:

True story:coffee:

8. Rwings

Rwings Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Depends on the medium. Things I can't stand reading I might not mind watching. In Deadpools case I'd watch the movie but would never read the comics.

9. RNGesus

RNGesus <<+10 Luck upon seeing this Nuffian>>

Reading List:
    Link
    I stop reading novels when they lose enough of their originality, or when there's too much meaningless drivel.

ATG is a legendary example, while I enjoyed the beatdowns initially, I've truly never seen 5 chapters worth of ranting occuring multiple times within a 100 chapter period in any other novel.

10. Galison

Galison Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Thats not really a stupid reason well maybe if its a wn only but once a series goes into print/official digital distribution a cover can make or break a series. For example i read a lot of scifi books but unless I enjoyed the authors prior works I will judge a book by its cover If you cant be assed enough to make a good cover for your book i cant be assed to read it. Is that fair to some authors no but as with most things related to me and my tastes in things its my choices which again doesn't make it the right choice but one I'm free to make lol

11. gary0044187

gary0044187 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    overgeared is really good. it has tension. It is not like either SAO or Log horizon, he leaves the game on a regular basis to deal with RL stuff occasionally. It's more like another couple of korean stories with VRMMO settings, one good and one bad, Legendary Moonlight Sculptor is very good, I think it sets the standard for korean VRMMO. Ark is garbage, I think it sets the standards for Legendary Moonlight Sculptor rip offs.

Overgeared starts like ark, in that it feels like a cheap rip off of LMS, but overtime you realize the author is seeking to show character growth (not just his in game character's stats, but his personal maturity), which you don't see in either ark or LMS.

Funny that the other person hated that he married the npc. bro had been screwed over by all the people he had met in life other than his family so he feared human interactions IRL, marrying the NPC was a huge part of him learning how to act around humans again.

Bad Storm likes this.
  12. gary0044187

gary0044187 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    also to answer the original question. I have two primary reasons why I will drop a story.

1) the filler is real. we all know that most of these stories have filler, well some of them take filler to a whole different level, with filler story arcs and everything.

2) author decided to become the master edgelord of edge mountain. simply put, I don't like poorly written tragedy or casual disregard to the lives of peripheral characters. I get it characters will die in stories, but when the author starts killing off characters in "tragic" scenes with just to give the MC a reason to spit blood... or have his hair turn white and give him a reason to hunt hte enemy down forever.... and writes that poorly, I am probably going to drop the story. which pretty much means tragedy is off the market for me in these WN, because most WN can't write tragedy well enough for me to appreciate it AND that's compounded by the fact that the translation becomes another level of trouble because if the tragedy is poorly translated it's just as bad as if it was poorly written to begin with. Also, overly edgy MCs just end up bothering me anyways. I don't need it so I won't read it.

13. Ram5

Ram5 [Noodle Stealer]

Reading List:
    Link
    you.. died?

Lowy likes this.
  14. MarxDarkBear

MarxDarkBear The Great Man

Reading List:
    Link
    Any novel that has a running away arc. So just simple where the mc goes to a place and offends the biggest boss there and needs to be on the run for the entire arc while getting powerups or treasures yo finally kill the bigg boss. I absolutely hate these arcs, because the only reason why the mc even fkng survives is purely necause of plot armor.

15. Houye

Houye Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Dropped a KR because the retard did the thing he swore not to and fucked up his last life for. Like nibba you suck, the novel sucks and everything belongs into the trash.

Something about not becoming someone's lackey in a game blah useless shit does it in the end whatever else shit shet trip trop drop belongs.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.