Discussion Bigger World Trope

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by birdboy01, Aug 6, 2018.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. birdboy01

birdboy01 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Does anybody else get annoyed or drop novels due to this trope? If you're not familiar with this trope it's basically, whenever the protagonist is the strongest in his region or gains a particular status. Somehow there's an even greater area, and there is even a greater era than that great area. Repeat.

I only get annoyed when the world is established and then out of nowhere there's another region, like what the fuck? Wouldn't be as surprising if the author established or foreshadow the world beforehand instead of ass-pulls.

2. Astaroth

Astaroth empty

Reading List:
    Link
    that's why ascending to higher realms is usually the worst, the other stuff is usually okay imo, the problem is that everything is left behind and it's a complete restart

blablabla12, Liola, Bad Storm and 2 others like this.
  3. Cygsiulle

Cygsiulle error 404: title not found

Reading List:
    Link
    hell, half the time it's just the MC taking a trip the next town and suddenly the average realm of power jumps up by 3 and the MC's back to bein at the bottom of the barrel. like, with all that power, and considering how so many young masters are utter douchebags with no talent, it's baffling how none of them just took a 1 day trip, built a castle with slave labor, and used their guards to completely dominate one of the weaker areas and abduct/pillage anything with boobs. not like anyone in the area's strong enough to stop it, and they basically just live to screw whatever catches their attention, which they could easily do in these "backwater" areas, with their family's guards hangin around.

GabeZhul, Vocah, blablabla12 and 11 others like this.
  4. fteg123

fteg123 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Then you must not like the shonen tropes

5. Ruki

Ruki Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Well that's what they do to extend the story. If not for that most CN novels will not reach thousands of chapters

SinCity, Sunsaegnim and Prolux like this.
  6. Johnnycabra

Johnnycabra Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    it depends. I like the one where ascending to a higher plane is a thing but going to a lower plane limits power or prevents higher cultivators from entering. when it sucks is where you find out that there are higher cultivations within the same plane but you don't find out until after many chapters.

Ancient strengthening technique suffers from this.

Vocah, Prolux and Aoenstar like this.
  7. unkxz

unkxz Lurker

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm fine with it if there are lore, history, hints or mentions of it beforehand and not just popping out of nowhere.

otaku31, Astaroth, Bad Storm and 2 others like this.
  8. birdboy01

Reading List:
    Link
    I agree that is one of the worst forms of writing. If you've ever read ISSTH, There was so many sub-realms in one cultivation stage that was suddenly revealed at the convenient time.

Sky liger and Prolux like this.
  9. birdboy01

Reading List:
    Link
    Same, I appreciate that because we can anticipate more. Instead Bob being the big boss in region A, all of a sudden a young master from region B shows being strong as shit. But somehow that young master is a scrub from region B.

10. Jigoku Shounen

Jigoku Shounen An Envoy From Hell

Reading List:
    Link
    You need a way to keep the story on-going right? That's the easiest trope for the Authors to use.

11. MangoGuy

MangoGuy Rambling Mango

Reading List:
    Link
    Well, our own Earth has got multiple world right? First world and all that...

otaku31 and Bad Storm like this.
  12. DreadLord

DreadLord Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It gets very annoying to read about higher realm of power suddenly appearing all the time. It not just in CN it happens in more places than you think of. For example anime, manga, and many other works of fiction.

13. valzione

valzione Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It's not all that bad if the story doesn't overuse it, gives a feeling that the character is growing as the world they know expands when they learn more, CN generally just use asspulls to get character/chapter count high so it becomes shitty trope

14. bartsimpsons

bartsimpsons Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    This. I really hate it when authors just pull powerups, legends, myths or some hidden characters from his ass.

Prolux likes this.
  15. FussyBadger

FussyBadger Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Yes I do find this trope rather annoying. I think that you gave a vague description of the novel Library of the Heavens Path as part of your explanation for it.

In all seriousness though how is that one of the most popular novels on QI?

16. Zalpha

Zalpha Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I have been reading Ancient Strengthening Technique and in the start it basically states that the MC played a PC game about the world before he died and has some game elements with him. He states he is confused because in the game it was called The World of Nine Continents but the world he is in it is called The Five Continents. He forgets about it and just calls it like everyone else does. Now at about +1000 chapters he learns that the there are four other continents each one more powerful than the last one. Currently were I am reading he isn't strong enough and is working towards going to the other continents.

I think author did a great job in setting it up from the start and setting up multiple tier goals for the MC to work towards. I also like his reasoning about word restrictions on power levels in continent that restrict power to a certain level and is a major deterrence to stronger people coming over as they will be weakened greatly.

17. Stark3

Stark3 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    That is one of the main gripes I have about Lord Xue Ying. In the latter portions of the novel, the bigger area trope is incredibly overused. I'm fine with the MC learning that his world is just part of a bigger universe, and starts exploring areas from there. I'm not fine with the MC going out of his world into a bigger universe, only to find that there's a bigger realm enclosing that ... and after that an even bigger one. It's like those Russian Matryoshka dolls >.>

18. birdboy01

Reading List:
    Link
    DUDE I shit you not, that novel is extremely repetitive it's not even funny. The protagonist himself is awful, he himself is an idiot without a lack of cunning. The book is his savior, or he'd be dead in the first kingdom. They literally go to new kingdoms and it's always the princess he meets.

19. birdboy01

Reading List:
    Link
    I would have to read that novel to determine the validity of that. If it's true then that's godly foreshadow. Hoping it's not something ass pulled because he remembered a few plot points that was never touched.

20. FussyBadger

FussyBadger Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    In later arcs there are orphans with no resources that have a higher status than some of these kingdoms just because there was no planning before. Its unbelievably repetitive that I can space through a whole chapter and not even miss a beat to the story. There are some funny moments but they are so far between each other that its essentially not worth reading. The MC is a dunce and if there wasn't a tag for parody I think that he was an imbecile that should have already died.

I saw some chapter foot notes from the author stating something along the lines of showing the teacher student relationships but I haven't seen anything like that after the first 30 or so chapters. The students only show up when he discovers a new book or if need be there will be one sentence to remind the reader he still has a few students traveling with him.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.