Discussion What's your preferred ending?

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Goblin Sleuth, Aug 6, 2018.

?

Which ending do you prefer?

1. The hero returns to his old life.

2. The hero embraces his new life.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Goblin Sleuth

Goblin Sleuth Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    So here is the setup.
    The hero, our protagonist finds himself sucked into a new and dangerous world alongside a few of his closest friends. This other world could be metaphorical, the secret hidden type that exist alongside our own, or it could literally be another world, in another dimension. The details are irrelevant. What is important is that by entering into this new world the protagonist and his friends have become entrapped. They can no longer return to their old lives, and must learn the ways of the world if they wish to survive. Ultimately they manage to persevere and end up playing the leading role in saving this new world from certain annihilation.

So now I ask which ending do you prefer?
    • Returning to their old world.
      After saving the new world the protagonist and his friends are finally able to go back home. Taking back their lives where they last left, but with a new found determination born from their ordeals.
    • Living in the new world.
      After saving the new world the protagonist and his friends have officially earned a place in it. Fully embracing their new lives in this fantastical new world now with the respect and loyalty of its denizens.

2. telobakar

telobakar Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    how about new game+?
    my new favorite

Bad Storm, UnGrave, Solracmar and 2 others like this.
  3. Ruki

Ruki Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Returning to their own world but there's a tease like what happened at the end of Praise the Orc where everyone was left wondering what will happen next knowing it will never get a sequel anymore.

4. Xigua

Xigua Unknown member

Reading List:
    Link
    I prefer a happy ending. :aww::blobReach:

Last edited: Aug 6, 2018
  5. otaku31

otaku31 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Depends.

Will the protagonist lose his power/s (assuming he gets some in the new world) if he returns to his old one?

Did the protagonist have the kind of life in his old world which he was not willing to give up? Family and friends he regrets being separated from? Home is where the heart is, they say.

Or had the new world been much kinder to him in terms of opportunities for overall development, the place where he finds the purpose of his life to be at?

Last edited: Aug 6, 2018
    Kuro_0ni, Hegao, Vocah and 1 other person like this.
  6. Goblin Sleuth

Goblin Sleuth Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    That is an interesting concept, though in that case we the reader only get a brief summary of the first go around, and the story starts at the reset. I mean it kind of has to be that way, no one wants to sit through the same story twice, I mean could you imagine if in Harry Potter in the seventh book when Voldemort hits Harry with the killing curse in the forest. Harry suddenly woke up back in his cupboard under the stairs, eleven years old again. My god just thinking about peoples reaction is hilarious, they would be so pissed off.

Back on topic though, even if the story is a New Game+ you still have to wonder what the protagonist will do once they eventually finish their story. I mean unless every time it ends a new story begins, a New Game++ to a New Game+++ for eternity. That is horrible why would you make me think of that?

7. CyberCypher

CyberCypher Air Breather

Reading List:
    Link
    The ending that never arrives because the author died before he/she can finish the story.

8. chillo

chillo NUF BioTerrorist

Reading List:
    Link
    there's no the hero dies?

because this way the stories won't be milked until it dries, except there's resurrection in play. which doomed the heroes to be milked until they dried.

9. Aria

Aria Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I never understand why people who got transmigrated always wanted to go back to their original world

10. DreadLord

DreadLord Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Going back to the old world with the potential of losing your powers seems like a slap on a face for me. You won't be to carry weapons for self-defense or anything like that. It might seems like you have more rights and other stuff but you have people judging you as well getting a career working for a pitiful amount of money.

For me having powers would be godsend in order to really take control of your own life. The ability to enforce your freewill and choose what you what to do in life.

Vocah likes this.
  11. chillo

chillo NUF BioTerrorist

Reading List:
    Link
    sounds like Americans being Americans. vote yes to the right to bear arms

*insert bear arm meme here*

12. Redmi

Redmi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    No Internet, no PC, no smartphone, no hentai...

Nino Sasou likes this.
  13. youseiki

youseiki 『Loves Glasses』

Reading List:
    Link
    I prefer Return to the Old world after they become an aged person, they'll see the advanced version of their old world and wonder what happened to it while they were gone

14. UnGrave

UnGrave ななひ~^^

Reading List:
    Link
    I like the whole "connect the two worlds" ending that you get sometimes. Why pick one?

gary0044187 likes this.
  15. Jarrow

Jarrow Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Given most transmigrated to another world stories are basically thinly justified kidnap-and-slavery plots, I'd like an ending where the MC goes back home WITH his Godlike Powers and starts a 'defend earth from selfish otherworlders' agency. I despise all those selfish kings ripping people out of their lives to become mass-murderers for their benefit

One of the reasons I hope When I Came Back The World Was Still A Fantasy gets more love. Not that I care much for the school arc, though.

16. justmehere

justmehere Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    At this rate of how original/translated novels are going?

I'd settle for any ending ....

Bad Storm likes this.
  17. Jarrow

Jarrow Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Most are terminally addicted to Shounen Jump, of course.

gary0044187 likes this.
  18. AkunDami

AkunDami Neu membar

Reading List:
    Link
    No gainax ending?

Both were okay as long as epilogue explained what happened to everybody else afterwards.

19. Bad Storm

Bad Storm no thought, head empty

Reading List:
    Link
    *gasp* I'm in the minority!

I kinda like the go back to the old world ending. For some reasons, it gives me the feeling that it really ended and that chapter of the MC's life is finally over.

I guess I like endings similar to Sovereign of Judgement's ending. The MC started anew and left his old life of bloodshed and war. It felt just peaceful.

I also like endings where mc dies....

20. Houye

Houye Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Stay living in that world. I wouldn't throw everything I gained to go back to somewhere where I have to get back to 0 and tryhard to obtain recognition, wealth, family or whatever once again.

DreadLord likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.