Discussion What's up with all the crappy novels in Wuxiaworld and Gravity tales?

Discussion in 'Novel Discussion' started by Aikutr, Aug 12, 2018.

1. Aikutr

Aikutr Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Ok so before the Qidian invasion, I used to read almost all novels in WW and GT. However now I read no more than 5 novels in WW (MOE, CoS, DH, AWE, Novel's Extra) and only 2 in GT (way of choice, age of adept). I have tried to read the other novels and all of them were either boring or mediocre at best. It seems qidian has monopolized all good novels however I would also like to bring to attention that the novels that most translator chooses ends up being boring as f. It seems they ignore all our suggestions in regards to picking up novels or there are some copyright issues when it comes to picking up novels, so what is the use of us suggesting novels.
    I know I am ranting and most translators do this voluntarily however if you guys don't pick novels which the readers enjoy then what is the point. Most novels that are dropped are almost never picked up again. You guys would rather translate a crappy novel then pick up a dropped one. If guys want this community to last longer please select novel which are suggested and not which you think you should translate.
    End of rant
    Also plz comment on how many novels u r currently reading on these 2 sites.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2018
    Kutaifa likes this.
  2. Elawn

Elawn 『Binge Reader』

Reading List:
    Link
    ... You do know one's own taste is subjective, right?

CodeZero, kenar, Fulademonen and 12 others like this.
  3. Blitz

Blitz ⛈️ awakened from the reverie❄️

Reading List:
    Link
    gravity Tales. That's a name I haven't heard in quite a while.
    +1

4. oliver

oliver Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Why exactly did you have to bring Qidian into it tho? Like it's not like Qidian is stealing novels from other publishers, so if you like Qidian published novels more, that aint their fault.

Edit: and gravity translates Qidian novels you nut.

otaku31 and runsing like this.
  5. J-Mitch

J-Mitch ⚖ Tipping the Scales of the World

Reading List:
    Link
    Try other sites. Creative Novels, Volare Novels, Web Novel.

GT is Qidian now. So QI controls to a great extent what novels they get to have.

WW, they have a lot of stuff already. There should be 1-2 things you can read that suit your taste. I doubt all of them will be tailored to one type of individual. The best way to expand is to get as many different people interested.

6. akki

akki [Ani's C☕ffee-mate #3] [Shady Merchant]

Reading List:
    Link
    You can’t really fault the translators when it comes to something like this. If they ask readers for suggestions that’s fine. It’s not their fault if readers suggest something the translator would not be able to pick up as a project. You can’t turn round and say what’s the point of us suggesting anything. That’s kinda dumb.

Edit: by the way you’re saying crappy novels but you didn’t mention any names. Which novels are you calling crap specifically?

otaku31, runsing and Doc11 like this.
  7. LaDyViL

LaDyViL New Member Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Come, come and read some Danmei. Refresh you mind, let your world expands and view the paradise brought to you in BL ╰(*´︶`*)╯

kenar, lonelytree, Fuyuneko and 3 others like this.
  8. Aikutr

Aikutr Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Before u pass judgement on me plz know that I enjoy reading every genre of novel .... So no my taste are not subjective. I just don't like the fact that translators are ignoring novels suggested by us.

9. xtremeloldude

xtremeloldude the slime guy

Reading List:
    Link
    i don't think he does
    so OP, let me just say that i thought all novels on there even before qidan were crappy cuz i just don't like chinese novels in general

10. grish99

grish99 [Pelican Hater] [Hater of Face-Slapping]

Reading List:
    Link
    So you say that you saw every suggestion that they get?
    In public threads and private messages?

11. billo42

billo42 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    if a novel is continuing to be translated chances are a decent number of people like it. im sorry that they dont fit your taste, but calling them crappy unless they just because you dont like it does not look so good for you.

runsing likes this.
  12. Maid Chan

Maid Chan [Professional]

Reading List:
    Link
    ...Preferences differ, sir.

Ddraig, CodeZero, Westeller and 3 others like this.
  13. Aikutr

Aikutr Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    My point is how many novels are u currently reading on WW and GT.

14. TamaSaga

TamaSaga Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It's kind of an utter fail if you mention that Qidian has all the good novels.

Unless you actually like ALL of the novels hosted by Qidian, the answer lies simply in the fact that Qidian is throwing lots of darts at a wall with the hopes that one resonates with the reader.

I only follow 1 title on Qidian now. Superstars of Tomorrow. Everything else on that site can burn as far as I'm concerned. That's like 149 other titles in the garbage bin. A less than 1% success rate.

WuxiaWorld and Gravity Tales canNOT throw as many darts due to resource or legal constraints so if none of their stories appeal to YOU then it's just a failure of large numbers, not because they go out of their way to rifle through a garbage bin.

Incidentally, I follow 2 titles on WW and 1 on GT, so if you consider it by number read vs works hosted I can say that both sites host better stuff than QI.

15. Guan Zhong

Guan Zhong Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Translators choose a novel they personally like (ideally). Picking up a dropped novel is a headache when it comes to licensing because you have to either get permission from the previous translator(s) to use their chapters (if they are usable in the first place, and even knowing how to contact the right person is not always easy), or you have to start over from scratch, which no reader likes. But we're dealing with licenses and legal rights here, so sometimes it's necessary.

Translators who just pick up novels and then drop them are the ones you ought to be ranting against. It's irresponsible because a dropped novel is now damaged goods for other translators. To translators: don't start a novel unless you are serious about it.

Also, the group of people here suggesting novels is tiny. The readership on the various sites is larger by themselves. So the ones suggesting things here are a small, vocal minority. And judging by the views the various major sites get, I'd say the community overall is pretty happy with the selection. People just have different tastes.

mrttao, CodeZero, kenar and 7 others like this.
  16. runsing

runsing status : bleeding, health -10/s Novel Updates Staff

Reading List:
    Link
    more often than not, translator chooses titles that are high-ranked or popular or gets a lot of recommendations (on original sites). now, we should remember that the titles are highly ranked/popular on its original sites, in other words, its original intended readers, in this case, chinese readers.

most of these so-called requesters are ppl who can't read chinese, and based their thinking of "this novel is good" by the help of mtl. was it not so?

therefore, if the translator always goes by readers request, there's actually could be even more potential problem. more so if the novels requested doesn't match the translator's taste.

tl;dr in points
    1.what's good to chinese reader's taste doesn't guarantee we will like it. so does the opposite.
    2. requester's taste are even less reliable source of choice to make
    3. the actual reason most request are ignored by translator is simply because it doesn't match their own taste

edit : (so that i can answer your last question, which you added a bit late)
    collectively, i still read more than a dozen novels from both ww and gt. altho none of them i read immediately after release. i binge them like once a week or two

17. Tramsloof

Tramsloof Quarter Erudite

Reading List:
    Link
    Well, you sound like the world starts with you and ends with you.

Let me remind you that you don't represent the likes and dislikes of all the readers out there. You are a single reader with your own opinion, just like anyone out there.

As a matter of fact, I like many novels on WW which you haven't even listed. And I assume that you are categorising them in your 'mediocre at best' list, and that is fine with me, but you can't say that they are mediocre for everyone.

Say for example, 'Overgeared', 'Godsfall Chronociles', 'A Record of Mortal's Journey through Immortality' and many others.

Last I heard, there were good novels on GT too, but ever since its 99% shares got bought by Qidian, I haven't been visiting it.

My point is, it's alright to be more selective than others. But it's another thing to impose your opinions and state them as facts.

And frankly your suggestion of letting the majority of readers choose what to translate from a selective choice is sound and plausible, but the way you said it left the idea buried in a rant. And @runsing raises pretty solid points against your idea.

The moral of the story being, what and how you think may not always be the way it is in reality.

JZ505, CodeZero, Stark3 and 4 others like this.
  18. Guan Zhong

Guan Zhong Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Also let me explain why suggesting a novel is not practical: because someone needs to translate it. And these sites don't have a bullpen of translators just sitting around idle, waiting for a project to come along. Everyone is already business translating stuff, so suggesting a novel is not going to work.

EDIT: <.< And the anyway, the best novels are on volare *cough cough* >.>

Sabruness, otaku31 and _Selutu_ like this.
  19. Moonxious

Moonxious 「We of the Moon Race greets you all.」『Lurker』

Reading List:
    Link
    WuxiaWorld:
    - Renegade Immortal
    - Emperor's Domination
    - A Record of a Mortal's Journey to Immortality
    - A Will Eternal
    - Perfect World
    - The Book Eating Magician

GravityTales
    - Chaotic Sword God (dude, i read this for the story, it's pretty nice, Not the action/fight. I just skip those stuff.)
    - King of Gods (decent enough for me)
    - The Lord's Empire (same with KoG)

QI
    - Gate of God (The cultivation system is pretty nice) although there were cliche stuff like "male mc was engaged with the once in thousands years genius, and blablabla (same with Way of Choices at Gravity tales). Mc was reincarnated from Earth though.

A lot of things i want to say, but ...nah..

20. _Selutu_

_Selutu_ 灭世魔尊

Reading List:
    Link
    Amen.

OP, what the translator likes might not be what you like, but that's always going to be the case. Not everybody sharing the same taste. You say that you enjoy all genres of novels, but there are various types of plotlines within each genre. What you enjoy is not always going to be what others enjoy. Furthermore, requests on NUF are... iffy. Most people here just MTL a series and decent to suggest it after finding it decent, it's not really the best judge of a novel.

TamaSaga and otaku31 like this.