Discussion novels are just getting way to predictable.

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Time_infinite, Aug 15, 2018.

?

do you ever get the feeling that after you have read so many novels they become predictable?

1. Yes

91 vote(s)
    87.5%
  2. no

4 vote(s)
    3.8%
  3. not at that level yet

9 vote(s)
    8.7%
  1. Time_infinite

Time_infinite Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Don't know if just me or what. but i have been reading novels for quite a while now that i just don't remeber how many but one thing has remained constant authors are different but stories are similar to the point where i can tell whats going to happen before i even read it.
    Like today i tried reading a new novel but i just couldn't even get past the 30th chapter.
    I feel like i need to get something else of my chest is that the problem translated novels that we sometimes have to wait long periods of time to get chapters that sometimes we lose interest in novels and sometimes novels even get dropped after putting all that time in the novel just for it to leave a bitter taste in your mouth.

That was way to long lol i was just annoyed .

Varno, Liola, Amaruna Myu and 3 others like this.
  2. UnknownSaint171

UnknownSaint171 To Something Sounds Cooler

Reading List:
    Link
    I think it’s just the works that get translated are too cliche and copy/paste stories. Look at Japan for example, do you have any idea how many years behind English are at? Lol. Anyways, yeah it leaves me really sad. No choice but to try to learn the language.

Pandamonic and Goatse like this.
  3. slightofhand

slightofhand Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It just means that you read too many of them. Every medium gets repetitive if you consume enough of it.

mir, Lazriser, AkunDami and 10 others like this.
  4. Goatse

Goatse Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Pretty much this. A lot of the better non-cliche/overused trope novels are not translated, often times because they're harder or require more effort to translate. It's far easier to just bang out the rehashed settings and lines with less effort since everyone knows them by heart.

5. Cygsiulle

Cygsiulle error 404: title not found

Reading List:
    Link
    a lot of it is just from the redundancy, i think. there's only so many ways you can restate something before you start repeating yourself, and since the peanut gallery is literally everywhere and won't shut up with the narration, once you've gotten a good feel for how long certain events take, such as a fight lasting 5 chapters, you can pretty much just skip 'em every time. the filler follows a similar approach, with spouting the same nonsense over and over while trying to hype it up, but really the author's efforts amount to doing mental gymnastics to repeatedly describe making a sandwich as metaphysically as possible during every single minor arc.

same applies for character personality. if the MC's only defining feature is how big of an idiot/douche they are, then you can pretty much expect certain events to constantly repeat themselves, no matter how forced, unrealistic, or inappropriately timed it might be.

mir, otaku31, Varno and 1 other person like this.
  6. gheist1234

gheist1234 |Path Finder| 『WuxiaWworld Vet.』|Beardy| |Zen|

Reading List:
    Link
    I feel ya man.. all those harems and evil young masters just leave me rolling my eyes, the author tries to add them for comedy but after reading so many novels like those it just gets soo boring and tedious...

Bitter Sweet, otaku31 and Liliance like this.
  7. Teadragon

Teadragon Book Wyrm

Reading List:
    Link
    Now try seeing how many plots are at heart just a re-imagining of a Shakespearean play...

8. Nisem

Nisem Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Read a different genre. Problem solved. Temporarily.

mir, Bitter Sweet, Nino Sasou and 3 others like this.
  9. mmsupreme

mmsupreme How do I change my custom title?

Reading List:
    Link
    I think it is more about the beginnings being cliched. The all the novels past 200 im reading are unique in their own way. Unless they are from the same author it is usually the beginning of trash mc that is the same. For ex king of gods whiles it was cookie cutter at the beginning starts showing a different charm later on

10. Liliance

Liliance Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Maybe it’s because I’m reading so many novels but as long as it isn’t one of those where they introduce a new arc every 30 or so chapters or pick up the character they introduced in the first chapter and never invited them back in until the most recent chapter, I can even predict what’ll happen in a drama series. Heck, I don’t even watch dramas or read stories with drama if I can help it. I want something new but it’s hard to come up with an original.

11. genocidegrand

genocidegrand Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    try tales of herding gods pretty good

12. Time_infinite

Time_infinite Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I have read it up to date

13. AMissingLinguist

AMissingLinguist [Not Here][Blank Sect][Nuffian #N]

Reading List:
    Link
  14. NGCleric

NGCleric Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Predictable? Sure. Bad? Not necessarily.
    Honestly, I tend to be disappointed when authors try to mix their plot up a bit or try to surprise readers with an unexpected development that is far from the way the story has been up to that point. Sometimes it is done well, but I tend to see little thought put into it and then it's mostly ruined for me.

otaku31 and Vudoodude like this.
  15. Lolistalker

Lolistalker Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I agree with you to an extend but it is more because we read too much novel and a lot of them with similar genre that we find everything to be predictable, there is also the fact that most of the novel in this site is from amateur which rely too heavily on plot and trending, I advise you to try searching for other site or try reading book out of your comfort zone because I'm glad I did and I hope you too

16. Avil

Avil Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Until someone invents a new genre for everyone to love and overuse the best we can do is search for authors that breaks a few tropes, I love the Isekai genre but reading about losers getting OP and harems gets boring, for example older Isekais were about the hero beating the Demon King everyone loved it everyone overused it, then came class summoning and the anti-hero everyone loved it and everyone abused it.

17. akki

akki [Ani's C☕ffee-mate #3] [Shady Merchant]

Reading List:
    Link
    The writers copy each other so of course you can tell what’s gna happen next. It’s cos you’ve already read it in the novel that was copied~

18. Pork_Supreme

Pork_Supreme Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    That feeling is why the first like 5 or so eastern novels I read were awesome, they broke away from and didn't contain the same tropes I'd gotten tired of reading through in western novels.

mir likes this.
  19. elengee

elengee Daoist Ninefaps

Reading List:
    Link
    Ero doesn't but it does give me Repetitive Strain Injury. :blobshh:

Disgusting likes this.
  20. Asf

Asf 《《The aria of souls》》

Reading List:
    Link
    You know that feeling when you predict the whole story of a holywood movies just from seing the poster and its title?
    And you turned out to be right..
    Yeah...
    Its exactly that..