Spare me great lord, nationalism?

Discussion in 'Novel Discussion' started by ace2002, Aug 12, 2018.

1. ace2002

ace2002 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    So I've been reading spare me great lord till chapter 204 where the MC's class swear in front of the flag to protect the nation with theyre life and MC starts to doubt himself.
    Does he go all "all hail china" ? Does he become a hero and shit? I liked how he didint care much till now, but suddenly hes like, "yeah... Maybe i should save peaple" out of no where.

reagents 11 likes this.
  2. GreatKoin

GreatKoin Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    This might be my opinion, but I find almost all CN novels usually have similar tropes. Even Japanese and Korean novels do it as well, but they at least try to frame it as a different way, but all MCs set in a modernistic setting get dragged into supporting their own country in someway at some point. CN novels are just super blatant about it. Usually with a mix of racism and hardcore nationalism.

ace2002 likes this.
  3. GrimReeFer

GrimReeFer Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    least they are honest about it.

4. oblueknighto

oblueknighto Blue Person

Reading List:
    Link
    That's not surprising as a twist but it's still pretty weird if the MC didn't care but then suddenly pulled a 180 out of nowhere.

5. FranckOA

FranckOA Killer Klown From Outer Space

Reading List:
    Link
    That might be a move to appease the CN censor ministry agency (the SAPPRFT and its hands the GAPP, yeah china have censorship boards directly under the state council with ministry level authority, that have to answer to no one appart from the state council), as they are pretty gun-ho on nationalism and love foreigner bashing (they have published guidelines that "strongly disapprove of showing foreign culture in a positive light" and "enforce authors to promote the high value standard of the chinese country and its domestic culture").
    So either the author make them happy by making his MC a nationalist and xenophobic prick or he might be banned for not being enough pro-mainstream china (I say mainstream here because chinese minority's culture (even if they are ancestral native ones) are ruthlessly put down and silenced)...

Rarylith, ace2002 and Kaminomi like this.
  6. ace2002

Reading List:
    Link
    ....sigh... "Chinese culture", does that include eating live monekys and frying up cats and dogs? Such BS

7. FranckOA

Reading List:
    Link
    Every culture eat weird stuff : in England you have deep fried chocolate bars and mint with everything, in Italy you've got squid ink pastas (delicious by the way), in France you've got ultra smelly cheese, snails and tortured ducks and gooses liver (home team !), in Spain you've got bulls that are slowly killed in public, in America you've got supersized extra greasy with extra glucose syrup portions of everything (type 2 diabetese and cholesterol FTW !), in India you've got EXTRA EXTRA EXTRA spicy stuff downed with polluted Gange water (yuck for this one), in many country in Africa you've got insects, in Australia you've got roadkills, in Japan you've got raw fish and rotten beans (I love natto BTW), nearly everywhere you've got bee's vomit (mmmh, delicious bee's vomit, I love milk with a dash of bee's vomit or adding some in fruity tea instead of sugar), etc... Each country have it's own weird eating habits...
    What's problematic is when they overhunt and destroy wild life (marine or terrestrial), overpollute their own territories buy pushing too far intensive farming and animal farming (while throwing away a lot of their produces because they are overproducing), or going for species that are on their way to exctintion becase it's a traditional food (whales for exemple) or based on stupid superstions traditional medicines (like powdered rhinoceros horns that would surely be more effective as complete horn graft or prothesis)...

Last edited: Aug 14, 2018
    frostcrystal likes this.
  8. ace2002

Reading List:
    Link
    I completely agree with what you said, however there is still a line you shouldn't cross right? Cats and dogs and like family to people but not chickens and fish. BTW where the hell did you eat all those different food lol.

9. tides

tides Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    eating dogs is very common in china and other cold countries but this isn't exclusive to china. south korea, veitnam and swiss eat dogs too.

in poland, dog lard is medicinal.

IMHO, nationalism isn't part of culture but reading a CN novel which is written by an author from china, you SHOULD EXPECT some nationalism. china is one of the few countries where the populace is brainwashed from childhood and constantly reminded the horrors of ww2.

if you tell a child every 6 hours from age 3 to age 20 that he must love his country and hate japan, he'll love his country and hate japan his entire life.

also eating snails have become a delicacy lol and monkey brains originates from france where they eat the brains of monkey while they are still alive.

why are you shitting on the chinese? is it because they're asian and easy to shit upon? are you raicst?

10. tides

tides Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    who are you to draw that line thou? who are you to tell people that they shouldn't eat and drink what their ancestors have been doing? why don't u go tell those vegans that they should eat meat? the entire world is eating meat anyway.
    some families keep pigs and lamb as pets, you shouldn't eat those too.

also who are you and why the fuck should other people give a flying fuck about what you think and care about?

why should an entire country change it's culture and tradition because of how you feel?

11. gaianova

gaianova Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It is not safe to touch anything on the China political landscape, but I am pretty sure the SARFT does not promote foreigner bashing. It feels like you are making quite a bit of stuff in there. Also, I think there is a clear line between nationalist and xenophobic. Taking pride in your country doesn't mean that you are against other races. I am not sure how you managed to put those two together, does that mean citizens of countries that are open to foreigners don't have a shred of pride for their nation?

Honestly I think swearing in front of the flag is fine. There are many nations where one sings the national anthem and makes a pledge to their flags, why is there a fuss over this? It is only when the author starts to put down the other races unfairly that you should be alarmed.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2018
  12. FranckOA

Reading List:
    Link
    Well if you want the exact quote, it's from a august 2016 circular from SAPPRFT (State Administration of Press, Publication, Radio, Film and Television) which stated, among a lot of other things :
    By the way, it was associated with a massive ban on Korean star concert or appearances and a block for all chinese tv station Korean projects because they disliked koreans more than usual in 2016 :blobcheeky: ...

There is also the limitation of diffusion for foreign-inspired tv programs of june 2016 :
    Or the february 2016 rules from the Ministry of Industry and Information Technology with added guideline from the SARFT that ban foreign-invested compagny from publishing online in China and limit Chinese online publication service cooperation with foreign compagny
    They also, around the same year banned time travel as it
    and they also banned homosexuality along other "abnormal sexual behaviors", all in one big basket :

Rarylith likes this.
  13. mm38910

mm38910 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I think op is like this because the mc was shown to be indifferent to other people and he suddenly has doubts when he hears the national anthem. It does not fit with his personality that the author has written and promoted throughout the story. Though i also think this was not done to appease SARFT as you said.