delete please lock

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Deleted member 61519, Apr 3, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Deleted member 61519

Deleted member 61519 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    delete please lock

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 19, 2019
    Lunica, Shio, Doomsday and 36 others like this.
  2. SoulZer0

SoulZer0 Heaven Refining

Reading List:
    Link
    Thanks, but I find it hard to follow since you're writing in paragraphs instead of using steps with bullet points etc. Nonetheless, it's a good guide.

3. Deleted member 61519

Reading List:
    Link
    Thank you for the feedback. I hope the guide will come in use to you. I have added headers in order to facilitate reading.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 3, 2018
  4. ZeroJAM

ZeroJAM Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    This is a good guide, and I really like line dictionary too.

I feel the way to learn grammar would really be to read as many sentences as possible, the ones given in the grammar site are a good reference but insufficient on their own (they're not wrong, but there are many more ways the words can be applied), needs to be supplemented with reading. It's just one of those things you get better at the more you are exposed to it.

And then there are phrases which aren't very intuitive, like 好不高兴, and then there comes Chinese idioms with their accompanying backstories...

EDIT:
    Don't even get me started on Chinese Internet slang :sweating_profusely: you'll see them everywhere if you go by the webnovels route...

Lunaix and Deleted member 61519 like this.
  5. Deleted member 61519

Reading List:
    Link
    I agree for the slang and grammar part. Maybe solving that would be to read real novels or simple web articles first to get a sense of how grammar works, then when reading web-novels, the person could look up the definitions in Chinese on Baidu. The downside to reading novels would be the infinite amount of new Chengyu.

I guess the solution for the unintuitive grammar would be on line there's an example sentence part, so you can paste a sentence part and see the bilingual example sentences. Not 100% accurate but it gives a good idea.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 4, 2018
    @ and ZeroJAM like this.
  6. judairu

judairu Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    i will check this out
    sounds interesting

Deleted member 61519 likes this.
  7. natzukuro

natzukuro Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Thx for for the help

8. Arkanth

Arkanth Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Interesting, thanks for the guide, I will check it out. It's good to know it gets better xD I'm personally trying to learn through text books (Integrated Chinese) but I'm seriously struggling with characters, specially when trying to write them :confused:

9. Deleted member 61519

Reading List:
    Link
    No problem, I hope it helps!

For me I had trouble with the characters, but one day it all just clicked, learning characters became the same as learning new words. So it does get easier after a while!

I think it's because once you know the base characters and radicals, the sounds and radicals start repeating and you can after have an idea of the pronunciation just by looking at the character.

For writing some people recommend going through Heisig Remembering the Hanzi, but I've never used it personally myself. The problem with it for Chinese it that it doesn't teach the characters in context (words), frequency order, nor their readings.

10. Riversong411

Riversong411 Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    thank you so much, thanks to NU, I've become obsessed with chinese web novels. Unfortunately for me, I'm also a total stranger to the language. I did think several times of learning it, but was always put off by the general impression that Chinese is an insanely hard language to learn for non-native speakers. But now I'm determined to give it another go! So thank you so much for that

11. snowflake_obsidian

snowflake_obsidian Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I used Heisig for reading, not writing. Personally I felt it was fine. Any approach will have its weaknesses so just pick to the best of your knowledge and keep moving forward.

12. Ctho

Ctho Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Thank you! I have been going through websites but all of them cost a lot of money. But this is a great alternative thank you.

13. CcChaos4

CcChaos4 Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Thank you for this.

14. Femme Fatale

Femme Fatale | Sublime Goddess Of Chance |

Reading List:
    Link
    This is very helpful! Thanks.

15. Pau

Pau Useless Hamster

Reading List:
    Link
    I think some learning app are still will be helpful for beginner (i.e. hello Chinese & Chinese Skill). It can introduce you to Chinese and help you in the first step to learn Chinese (the basic that you need). You should note that it was just for beginner who never learn Chinese. It just from personal impression I get (I am also just learning Chinese)

And I also agree with learning by reading picture book/ comic. This is also from my experience learning & improving my english from reading translated manga. It was actually originate from my desperate and impatient waiting update in my origin language then resorted to read from the one in English (thought my grammar are dead).:oops::oops:

And Thanks for the information, it was helpful, I'll check it later (y)(y)(y)

16. pandagyal

pandagyal New Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Can you read xuanhuan/xiaxian novels? Il currently learning Chinese and that's my main goal

17. Wieng

Wieng Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    thank you very much!!! :):):):)

18. Deleted member 61519

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't have any problems reading them.

I think the best way to get there is to simply start with easier genres such as slice of life and then build up your knowledge of being able to read modern Chinese. (you could also simply learn by reading xuanhuan/xiaxian novels too if its not too hard)
    What's nice is that once you get the hang of it, if you don't know a word you can google definition in Chinese and continue enjoying the series.

When reading you can create own custom deck that will be tailored with all the words for the things you like to read!

Sorry for the late reply.

19. Wolfy

Wolfy New Member

Reading List:
    Link
    This is great. TYVM.

20. alcebar19

alcebar19 Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    This is very helpful. Than you

Thread Status: