Discussion Let's talk about LOVE.

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Chewie, Aug 28, 2018.

?

What is the most annoying type of love?

1. Love-Hate

26.6%
  2. Love at first sight

25.0%
  3. One night stand

29.7%
  4. Lust at first sight

29.7%
  5. All of the above

15.6%
  6. Love is never annoying

6.3%
  7. Childhood friends to lovers

9.4%
  8. I don't know

18.8%
  9. Other

10.9%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chewie

Chewie Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    So, love is something special; something that is considered like a wild card....at least to me.

Reading about romance has been one of the biggest perks for a reader besides adventure for a teenager like me. However, once you start reading a romance novel between two people, between more than two people (polygamy), between friends (most of the time friend-zoned), between family (incest), between yaoi or yuri (homosexual)...

The resulting theme is something sparks love and often times, it is the circumstance or the people (such as 2nd male leads or female leads) that evokes it.

Only three novels that I have read so far, left a bitter feeling in my heart because of their love. Their love through many trials and possibly the awesome writing and translations have caused me to grief about their pitiful life.

Pillow Book
    Sansheng, Wangchuan Wu Shang or Sansheng death exists not at the river of oblivion
    Falling dreams of fang hua

To me, I believe that love is truly beautiful when it is challenged by the genre called 'tragedy.' However, there can also exist many beautiful love stories such as "A Love So Beautiful" or "A Slight Smile is Very Charming" or even "Really, Really Miss You" and etc. In my case, another type of innocent and beautiful type of love is when childhood friends grow to lovers.

One type of romance that I find very cringy is when the trials end up getting repeated over and over again for the sake of dragging the novel. Such cliche novels end up with the same repeating theme of 'black-bellied CEO,' 'wang ye,' 'stunning wang fei or any adjectives insert before wang fei' that calls for 2D characters as the side background where they serve to be mere cannon fodders. In the end, the only plot that is dragged out will be showing how poisonous females in that world can be or how attractive the male lead is. Typically, love from these cases blooms after a one night stand, love at first sight...or more like lust at first sight, Cinderella type of background, and many more which I can't think of at this moment.

When I think of love, I prefer it to be a feeling where it is rather realistic. In real life, most of the dramas in novels will essentially never be brought (It could happen though!) to us. When humans date, they feel passion. When they marry, they morph the passion into a family or friendly love. Divorce rates are occurring at an increasingly scary speed and to answer the question of why it happens, I can only assume that the passion in the heat of the moment had faded and the pair of lovers assort to divorce due to many other reasons.

Technically speaking, what is love? Is it something that is remarkably similar to lust? Is it something that is built out of trust and loyalty? Attraction to beauty or comfort? Or is it just a feeling where humans need the urge to pass down their seed and sow a legacy? Then, let's switch it and think of it in another way. Does love need the thumping of the hearts, blushing of the cheeks, flustering in speech, flowery words, or even gifts during every special occasion?

I once asked my best friend what she thinks is love, she simply said, "It is the feeling when you are satisfied simply by having that person by your side." I thought long and hard and eventually started laughing like a lunatic. This is surely the reason why so many females tend to have the 'second lead syndrome' because the 2nd male leads are typically portrayed to be gentle and caring. They loved the female lead and their love is sated merely by being by her side. In which, part of those many females also include me!

Now, I suddenly thought of the famous troupe used in most stories which is the 'love-hate' relationship. When two people hate each other and then suddenly through many obstacles fall in love. The most tragic outcome of this type of troupe is when hate is replaced by apathy. If there is no love, there is no hate (this is not always the case but this serves as a great quote to describe Sasuke and Itachi's relationship). Sasuke who admired his brother hated him for his betrayal. This can also be applied to many Chinese novels where one of the leads will die and the other lead will hate him/her for abandoning them.

P.S. What do you think about Stockholm Syndrome? I find it tragic....

To be honest, I'm a writer and I just needed help with my romance fanfic. So, feedbacks on this topic of discussions would be very nice! Oh, I do have a very important question to ask. How can you make an iceberg fall in love? Or does iceberg even exist? Chinese male leads in these novels are very cold and uncaring of the opposite sex but like.....can it even happen?

Last edited: Aug 28, 2018
    OceanMagix and Justrem like this.
  2. MangoGuy

MangoGuy Rambling Mango

Reading List:
    Link
    Twilight is the most annoying

3. Chewie

Chewie Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    LOL!! Please tell me what part of it is annoying. This is for research purpose! >:)

4. AIm21

AIm21 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Love that feel soulless and cause the readers heart to throb from the pain of knowing there is love without a bond between two soul.

5. MrNebulist

MrNebulist Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    No tldr, no read.

CyberCypher and DiabolicGod like this.
  6. LordBS

LordBS Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Kappa.

7. DiabolicGod

DiabolicGod Well-known lazy Member

Reading List:
    Link
    love is annoying as long as it happens in front of you but you dont get love
    +1
    Kappa.

8. LuminaDawn

LuminaDawn Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I am don't understand love on a personal level. At the very least, love for another person other than family. That is to say that romance isn't my strong point, but nonetheless I enjoy the idea and concept of love. It is always nice to read/see love blossom between people in stories and such. This is why ships are real. The love novels I find most annoying are when one person is throwing themselves on top of another over practically nothing. If it is love at first sight and the novel explains it/ introduces it well, then yeah okay I can get that, but ones where the lead does one small thing or helps the other person at random and then wham love. It is stupid.

Chewie and Chiiiiiiiii like this.
  9. justmehere

justmehere Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    What you are talking about is attraction.

A sane father/mother would love her kids, even when that kid turns out to be ungreatful sob, theyd be hurt, but wont disown him/her.

True love is something you decide yourself in your head to set out to do totally disregarding the incentives or the personal negative consequenses for the bemefit for others.

This im turn releases you from any negative feelings resulting from negative feedback.

Say you do things to a girl, she friendzone you and use you for a personal gain. You can refuse being used further just because further transaction would be destructive for her and you. You realize it, but holds no grudges nor ill intent and move on to another girl.

10. zhainan2157

zhainan2157 『Villager No.2157』『Kawaii Connoisseur』

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't like non harem love triangles (I'm talking about both ways with either 1 boy 2 girls or 1 girl 2 boys) and NTR if you consider that a type of love.

11. Sarsanilla

Sarsanilla Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The absolute worst is love at first sight. That,and the "You made fun of me, now love me!" Trope. Love at first sight is unrealistic, the latter is just plain stupid. I wish you luck in your writing.

12. Varno

Varno True Member

Reading List:
    Link
    That is too much to read.

13. Lordnightowl

Lordnightowl Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    "Let's talk about SEX,
    Let's talk about SEX baby,
    Let's talk about all the good things and the bad things things that may be"

Chebcheb likes this.
  14. Kaminomikan

Kaminomikan 神のみ感

Reading List:
    Link
    love isn't eternal, just a flash that can't wound for a long time definitely something not indispensable

15. TheZephyrStorm

TheZephyrStorm Rock God

Reading List:
    Link
    People who swear the other belongs to them cause they said they’d get married when they were five. If there’s one thing these novels do wrong, it’s romance

Chebcheb likes this.
  16. Land of The Fallen

Land of The Fallen Hax's | Immortal

Reading List:
    Link
    Level of Violence :blobwhistle:

AliceShiki likes this.
  17. animanaicT

animanaicT Nobody Important

Reading List:
    Link
    The worst type of love for me is puppy-love... people who think they are in love but it is only a fleeting emotion. Its easy to make an iceberg fall in love (only if the iceberg is big, and deep)... if its small and has no character then probably not.

P.S. i find c.s. lewis depitation of love in his book "the 4 loves" the best
    http://www.cslewis.com/love-love-love-love/
    (Short snippet of the book)
    And frankly if you can handle the Christian themes (some people can't for some reason) I think c s lewis does a very good job at gettimg people to think about what love is and his own personal view on it.

18. animanaicT

animanaicT Nobody Important

Reading List:
    Link
    Also another note on iceberg Chinese males
    ... look to good chinese fathers... (personal example) my brother-in-law's dad is cold as hell. You never hear the word love from him, but he does his duty as a father, to care for his children, wife, home, and country; with discipline, humbleness, and respect.
    Just becuase icebergs are cold don't mean they don't care.
    Vids on dads to explain a little better...

Edited: errors to lazy to fiz tem all...

19. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    I think of the same thing whenever I see LOVE written in caps~ *hugs*
    Love is complicated, I think it's best to not overthink it too much, just go with how your heart feels and hope it works out~

Just make sure you choose someone you trust and can truly be yourself with, you need to feel cared for and also comfortable with the one you love~

Do that and you'll be fine somehow~

Land of The Fallen likes this.
  20. RayPeest

RayPeest Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    wait im the first to do this
    what is love? baby don't hurt me, don't hurt me no more

Shiroikaze42 and animanaicT like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.