How much do popular translators earn?

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Lyase, Jun 29, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Parth37955

Parth37955 NU #3, [Dead Inside], Mid-Boss, Dark Dealer Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    haha, that site isn't accurate at all. It doesn't tell you what they actually make, only what they could potentially make taking into account several factors.

2. Lovely

Lovely 『Valentines Terror!』『Cherished Kitty』『Rika's Twin』

Reading List:
    Link
    lol if they made that much money... i think everybody would be a translator nya

3. blueskyhigh

blueskyhigh Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Yup. It doesnt take into account the nuances of viewers each day.

4. Raneday

Raneday Not Rane

Reading List:
    Link
    granting that they can translate...because not everyone can.

Lovely likes this.
  5. Lovely

Lovely 『Valentines Terror!』『Cherished Kitty』『Rika's Twin』

Reading List:
    Link
    you.. ever read mtl nya?
    that can destroy english as we know, and they have a lot of views (2 in 1) nya

6. Raneday

Raneday Not Rane

Reading List:
    Link
    Tried once and the result was I need to take some headache medicines

7. Obee

Obee Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
  8. lesytxyz

lesytxyz Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    That estimate of wuxia world is not even remotely close to being real.
    Divide it by 10, then you come closer to the real values.

In this "niche", having a page RPM of 1 to 2 dollars is more real.

Shio likes this.
  9. blueskyhigh

Reading List:
    Link
    How do you know wuxiaworlds income?

10. lesytxyz

Reading List:
    Link
    Because I have an adsense account.

11. blueskyhigh

Reading List:
    Link
    Uh, the worth of web calculators are accurate for some sites and completely off for others. You can't just make assumptions because things aren't working out for you.

12. lesytxyz

Reading List:
    Link
    Buddy, the prices it is showing is like the best case scenario.

This niche isn't one where people click much on ads. Not to mention that WW's ads sometimes are annoying, so it has a higher rate of being ad blocked.
    You can go read RWX's post where he mentions he gets on average 1 click every 3500 impressions.

13. xTachibana

xTachibana Wincest King

Reading List:
    Link
    ??? none of these are facts, JP translating sites receive less traffic than CN sites do, that is a fact, and in a perfect world, even without donations CN TL sites would earn more, just like how it is now (because they receive more traffic...duh).....you're under a false assumption that JP is automatically more popular than CN, this is clearly not the fact now, and it most likely wouldn't be the case in your hypothetical world either......

TLDR: Potential earning is directly correlated to traffic received, how would JP sites, who receive significantly less traffic, have higher potential earnings??? and that's completely ignoring donations, which CN novels completely dominate. that's a fact!

Last edited: Jul 1, 2016
  14. blueskyhigh

Reading List:
    Link
    Not really a fact without substantial evidence x.x

Jp novels probably earn more if you count the translated light novels that are actually available to buy in book stores.

15. xTachibana

xTachibana Wincest King

Reading List:
    Link

.....there's no way you aren't trolling right? you can't count licensed works by companies like yen press and one peace in your equation, that's a completely different topic, and what evidence do you want? numbers? you can find them yourself, go grab any number of the top CN sites and compare them to the top JP WN TLing sites and see how they look, oh surprise, CN is ahead....I refuse to believe you aren't trolling, that or your face is thicker than my wall. (the OP is asking how much popular translators make, he's asking about people that post their translations on NU and such, not some paid worker that translates for yen press....i have no clue why you would even try to bring that up)

16. blueskyhigh

Reading List:
    Link
    Japanese TLs that are taken by yen press are also part of this community, so I completely disagree with you. (Also this particular topic wasnt about OP's claim. It was about your argument statement specifically which mentioned CN and JP sites in general.) Ill mention again that the novels tld by yen press are also part of the community, no where in your post did you specify only fan translations. If you wanted to leave "official sites" with translating rights out of the equation, remove ww from your list. Now lets be rational here and see the entire picture here, JP tld light novels are sold in actual book stores which means its pretty damn popular. I find it funny how you state it as a fact when you base your claims off of your intuition without giving actual examples, much like donald trump.

17. xTachibana

xTachibana Wincest King

Reading List:
    Link

first of all, yen press is a company which buys the rights to translate and sell novels from japanese publishing companies, and then publishes and sells them in the US, they are not part of "the translating community", they are professionals. as for WW? they get permission from the authors (if that, I think thats only like 1 or 2 stories there...), but they don't publish nor sell them (ie physical books or ebooks), so no, they're not the same thing......no only that, you're completely ignoring copyright law :v

for (da)
    the (ka)
    last (ra)
    time

japanese light novels licensed and published in book form are popular (kinda...), but they are not what the OP is asking for, it doesn't take a genius to realize he's referring to people like me, pun, RWX etc who translate and post our works on wordpress etc, not fucking professionals who work for yen press and sell accel world novels in barnes and nobels...and again! it's not intuition, you can literally SEE the numbers on their sites?! and even if you can't, you can see the data using other sites that show how much traffic they get. why are you being so stubborn, I feel like I'm talking to a child right now.

does OP need to clarify that he means "fan translators" just for you to realize that he doesn't mean professional translators? (people that translate for official companies...)

here's a hint, literally everyone in this thread is talking about non professional translators, did you not notice? professional translators get paid either hourly or salary, and they certainly don't get donations for their work, why would you even think about adding them into this topic?

Last edited: Jul 2, 2016
    HesheFell and Parth37955 like this.
  18. Zx

Zx Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    You know, I think you're disillusioned. Donations? Where? They're not donations. They're "hey, pay me and I'll give you this, otherwise you get that" not "hey, enjoy this and all donations are appreciated." You're commissioning them. Not donating.

I miss the old days when all donations went strictly to server costs and costs to acquire the works to translate. Life was so much simpler.

19. xTachibana

xTachibana Wincest King

Reading List:
    Link
    mmm I don't disagree with you but there is a pretty significant difference between paying to buy an ebook or hardcopy and giving some dude $40 so he can translate a chapter sooner than he would otherwise (assuming said person releases free chapters). even ignoring one being legal and the other one either being outright illegal or in a gray area of the law.

the biggest difference being the amount, light novels only cost like 10 dollars......and the content is way more than a single chapter of a novel lol

20. Demonic Reader lv 451F

Demonic Reader lv 451F 蝶醒, 梦未.

Reading List:
    Link
    Potential is potential.

About 2 months ago, WRX asked - should the site collect money from reader in stead of ads. Feedback was really, really misery. Readers who were willing to pay - well, better drop this matter. Keep on ads.

More, the site needed maintenance. Both ten-thousands $$$ servers and full-time programmers.

I don't know whether they get tons of money real or not. But, the expense that they have to pay, to keep servers alive, to keep programmers running working, to keep translator's stomach fulled, etc, etc .. that's real.
    ------
    For translators, if they got $50/chapter * 2000 chapter/story - they'll get $100,000.
    Suppose these 2000 chapters were translated at 2 ch/day, it means .. 1,000 days, or 36 months, before ended. Which is around $3,000 a month.

Two ch/day - it's not enthusiast's work anymore. It's full time, serious, hard working, job.
    For the group of people work with the 24x7x365 job for the splitted $3,000/month payment? Hmm .. hmmmmmmmmm .... <cough>, <<blood spatter>>, <<dantian starting disintegrate>>

-----

This one man translator needs eight supporting people to be able to release 7 high quality chapters/week.

Novel: I Shall Seal the Heavens
    Translator: Deathblade.
    Translation Checker: anonpuffs.
    Chinese Grammar Consultant: Madam Deathblade.
    Proofreader: Lingson, Yascob, Courtrecords and GNE.
    Meme Archives: joeljbright.
    Memes: Azusky.
    Master of Cuteness: Baby Deathblade.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2016
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.