Why would you buy a 2-in-1 convertible gaming laptop?

Discussion in 'Tech Discussion' started by Scrya, Aug 30, 2018.

1. Scrya

Scrya Lurking all day long~

Reading List:
    Link
    Acer just announced a 2-in-1 convertible gaming laptop at IFA yesterday. But... I don't find there being any practical use for it though?

If you want to use it as a tablet, it would be too heavy to hold for a long time. If you want to use it as a gaming laptop... then... why do you need a 2-in-1? Let your friends on the other side of the table watch as you play a game without looking?

I don't see many people wanting it, at the very least, I don't see myself using it. What do you guys think though?

2. lichdeath

lichdeath undead meatbun ^^

Reading List:
    Link
    not buying it .. ever
    theres just no reason to if you have a real gaming pc

Bad Storm, fireclaws, Liola and 2 others like this.
  3. otoshi-god

otoshi-god "Alive";[False Illusionist]

Reading List:
    Link
    i dont have the money...... and i already have a laptop and a tablet but maybe i will buy one depending of the weight.

4. RayPeest

RayPeest Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    No point in buying might be cheaper to get seperate one's rather than that.

5. pocketbear

pocketbear !!!!!!!

Reading List:
    Link
    LinusTech Tips did a thing on this before, companies basically slap "Gaming" on anything to mark it up and get moms and kids who don't know any better to buy their stuff, where it barely out performs a laptop of the same caliber but without the gaming tag associated to it.

Basically, they wanna trick you into thinking its better.

bkwusa, Slayerwolfx2 and Lewisking50 like this.
  6. Suijin

Suijin Blood God [Medic]

Reading List:
    Link
    i plan on buying a yoga book laptop/tablet. you can draw on that shit And is cheaper

7. Darkanlan

Darkanlan Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Laptop for gaming will always fall short. Not sure why anyone would buy one if they can have a nice tower instead.

8. TamaSaga

TamaSaga Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I'd get it if I had a need for it.

Like say...I need a notebook computer and this option somehow ends up cheaper while offering comparative or better performance.

Femme Fatale likes this.
  9. Femme Fatale

Femme Fatale | Sublime Goddess Of Chance |

Reading List:
    Link
    I have to agree, for gaming towers are best. I have a laptop for messing around on the net or using office. If I want something with serious grunt I use my tower.

Lewisking50 likes this.
  10. bob3002

bob3002 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I wouldn't buy that exact product for myself. I have a gaming desktop and a 2-in-1 convertible laptop. For the laptop I like the touch capabilities and the hinge lets me use it in tent mode on a plane or in tablet mode in bed. For the desktop it's a much better gaming experience, albeit not portable. And the two together were cheaper than a good gaming laptop, and my laptop is actually thin, light, and quite portable.

For that particular model, I like that it brings the keyboard forward so you don't have to reach out as far to reach. And the hinge design, besides flipping the screen around backwards, also allows you to bring the screen closer to you than a single-hinge design. So that's pretty neat. I can see someone using this, it just won't be me paying Acer Predator prices.

11. Ten Thousand Words of Truth

Ten Thousand Words of Truth Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    maybe it is for android gamers who want to install a second OS or use emulators?

12. mem

mem Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    you could say Acer predatory prices

Scrya likes this.
  13. rodusk123

rodusk123 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I remember buying a gaming laptop....lasted 2 years until it couldn't even play a Unity game without overheating. Still using it but I turn away from games and just focus on reading novels and watching videos. Now they come up with some cool looking thing that is incredible inconvenient and useless like this? I get that being able to move around the screen any which way is nice but still feels like a pointless feature for a laptop + RIP left handed users, better get a USB mouse.

14. erowarrior

erowarrior Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Hmm… I think its for those that want a laptop with touchpad screen and good spects. From my experience 2in1 laptops are not suitable for drawing and … and for gaming they lag a lot.
    But if it's cpu is core i7 8th gen or better and its gpu is gtx 1060 (6GB) or higher I will buy it 0w0

15. King0Mik

King0Mik 【An Actual Idiot】

Reading List:
    Link
    I could see its use in a college setting.
    It could be portable enough as a laptop, so you could game on the go when you are in-between classes, but don't quite have the time to return home or to your dorm. It would be even more portable as a tablet if you want to take notes. Depending on your major, the touch screen could be a huge bonus. For example, in electrical engineering, you may need to draw circuit diagrams, or in chemistry, you may need to draw molecule diagrams.
    The graphic card could allow for a multi-monitor setup in a dorm room or at home.

IDK if this would be the kind of product I'd buy or recommend buying though.

Scrya and Westeller like this.
  16. Westeller

Westeller Smokin' Sexy Style!! Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Flexibility in devices is cool. I can't exactly take my desktop to bed with me, and while I can certainly carry my laptop around, it definitely doesn't compare to a tablet in terms of that mobility. Trying to prop a tablet up on a table and use it like a gaming laptop, on the other hand, seems unwieldy, even if it had the horsepower. Having one device that you can use in multiple ways seems nice. Very convenient.

I wouldn't buy it anyway, personally. More of a desktop person. My phone is fine for the rest.

Slayerwolfx2 and Scrya like this.
  17. Cygsiulle

Cygsiulle error 404: title not found

Reading List:
    Link
    i like the idea behind the fan and the more adjustable monitor hinge (although i expect it to get loose or snap far too easily), but i'm not really sold on the laptop itself. it's gotta really be something for me to get a laptop i'll have no ability to upgrade. a 4k monitor is all well and good, but if the graphics card isn't able to rock semi-recent games set to ultra, i don't think i can find it in me to really care. so... that's something rather important that i'd like to know...

18. Expatamoeba

Expatamoeba Have eyes but still couldn't see Mount Tai

Reading List:
    Link
    Gaming laptop is overpriced and they'll become obsolete in just one or two years. Better invest your money on building your own pc.

19. Suzamoon

Suzamoon Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    How are we not talking about the Thronos lmao. Like my god. Acer seems to be reaching.

20. SoulZer0

SoulZer0 Heaven Refining

Reading List:
    Link
    Honestly, laptop is obsolete if you never get out of your house except for work like me.

With the new 8th gen Intel processor coming out and RTX, I might build another actually powerful pc.

Suzamoon likes this.