Novel Eaten By A Slime?!

Discussion in 'Community Fictions' started by Nom Nom Plume, Aug 31, 2018.

?

Do you enjoy this story?

1. Yes!

3 vote(s)
    60.0%
  2. No!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Maybe...

2 vote(s)
    40.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Nom Nom Plume

Nom Nom Plume Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Chapter 1 Part 15

After Gina and Devin left, they didn't go to area B. They went straight out of the forest in a hurry.

... ...

"Rei, sorry about that.."

"My Eri, there's no reason for you to apologise."

Rei stroked Eri's cheek with a smile, and unknowingly, a faint flush dyed her cheeks.

"Ehm...I was wondering, why would they come to the forest? They're also low-ranked adventurers. It doesn't make sense for them to come out during slime mating season."

"The slime mating season has ended, my Eri."

"What? So quickly? How many days did I black out for?"

"It should be about 3 days. Slimes reproduce fairly quickly, much like cloning, so the mating period should have calmed down by now."

"Eh! Won't the slime dungeon be overpopulated?"

"Well, many adventurers head there for demon nuclei."

Eri was widened her eyes but then her face distorted into a grimace.

"I'm sorry! That was insensitive. Do you want to go back home? You don't have to follow me..."

Eri felt a bit regretful. She had only just met Rei, it was frustrating how he kept pestering her from the get go, but it seemed a bit sad that they had to part so quickly.

Rei's eye's flashed, he took in all the changes in Eri's expressions. She was confused, shocked, sad, worried, and finally gloomy. From the moment He had met this human girl, she was full of life and different feelings. He really liked it. He liked how she easily expressed her anger and discontent but was completely clueless when she was pleased with something. This affection began from the moment he met Eri.

Family?

Friends?

He never felt anything like this with m slimes.

"I can't be more concerned, my Eri. Inferior demons such as slimes don't have things such as affection, family or friends. Even mating is purely an act of instinct. Demons and beasts devour each other's nuclei anyway. It's a rule of survival and a requirement for growth."

Eri frowned worriedly at Rei's explanation, but he looked unaffected—still carrying his nonchalant smile.

The world of beasts and demons were much crueller than she previously had an understanding of. However, a small part her was somewhat pleased. She didn't have a family, close friends or people who loved her.

They were both just as alone as each other.

"Rei...what if someone finds out that you're a slime when we go back to town? Your nucleus will be in danger."

A playful light shone in Rei's eyes.

"Is Eri worried about me?"

"...Hah?"

Eri pulled a face at Rei and ignored him.

Rei didn't remind Eri that he had already gained a real heart. Even so, what kind of human would find trouble with a superior demon to begin with?

They cleaned up the blood and waste from processing the beast corpses and travelled back to town.

... ...

Rustle. Crunch.

"Is it them?"

A monkey-faced man pointed at the pretty pair from a distance.

"Yah it's the green haired couple like they said! The man should be loaded. We're lucky a foreigner strayed into town. Heh, the entire town security is corrupt. When he's robbed clean, even they wouldn't bother with him."

The man with a stout figure handed a poisoned dart to his monkey-faced companion.

"This is my newly developed fast-acting poison. I didn't think I would get to test it out so early."

They trailed quietly behind the pair. Finally, the stout man motioned to his accomplice with a hand sign and they blew the darts.

Puh! Puh!

A poisoned dart flew straight for Rei's neck, the skin there rippled, and the dart disappeared into his body. He caught the other dart right before it pierced Eri, and turned around.

"Is this part of a human gifting ritual?"

Rei aimed his elegant smile into the dark space between the trees.

"I have enjoyed your gifts. Let me return the same to you."

The dart in Rei's hand shot into the darkness several times faster than earlier. At the same time, another dart burst out from his chest and aimed at the second body in the dark.

"Hiiii! H-"

Shrill screams were followed by two dull thumps on the ground.

"Ahhh?!"

Eri held her neck and took a few steps back.

"What, assassins!"

"No Eri, they gave gifts. But I've returned with just as much sincerity."

"..."

Eri shook her head and kept quiet. Did Rei really think it was a friendly gesture?

After they left, several wolves passed by and found two human bodies lying in a pool of damp bloody soil—each with a small hole in the chest and the same wide-eyed expression.

2. Nom Nom Plume

Reading List:
    Link
    Chapter 1 Part 16

When they reached the town, Eri tried to ward Rei away from her apartment with countless methods. She made several fake turns on the darkening streets in an attempt to shake him off.

But who was Rei?

He seemed to have a remote sensing ability to follow her wherever she went.

Why is this slime so damn fast?

Eri finally gave up and sprinted into her small rental place and locked the door. But even so, Rei melted into a pool and slipped through the cracks of the door to her home.

This, stalker...

With nowhere to turn, Eri sighed and ignored him. She was too tired to cook, so she chewed on some dried food and cleaned her teeth with some cleansing powder before she went to sleep.

Rei was warned by Eri before she went to sleep. He was told that men and women can't sleep on the same bed before marriage.

Men?

Rei thought while he observed Eri's body that was softly moving up and down in her sleep.

The surface of his body rippled. His skin and clothes melted into a blob of green.

Nurunurunuru...

The large blob of slime reached over the bed and slowly poured over Eri's sleeping figure.

... ...

"Mmm...so...heavy..."

When was my blanket so heavy? It's difficult to breathe...and move.

"Hah!"

Eri jolted awake on her narrow bed.

"Ehh slime!!! Reiiiiii!"

Eri struggled with the sheet of slime wrapped over her body. But a cute voice bubbled from it.

"Eri, my Eri and I get married~"

The small voice sent vibrations across the slime and surprised Eri.

What a...cute voice?

"Hey, I want to get up. Sleeping in the same bed doesn't mean we're married."

Eri slapped the slime and sent a wave of ripples across its body.

"Then we get married~ marry~ marry~"

"I don't even know you...how can I marry you?"

Eri was vexed by the slime's insistence. She's had her share of stalkers, but this is on a whole new level!

"We start knowing now~ Nurunuru~ Our status says we are husband and wife~~"

"..."

Eri remembered how she was already considered spouses with this slime when she checked their status screens before. Is it really like he says it is?

But wait, why does this slimes personality seem...so different?

Ding! Ding!

[Urgent Quest]
    Complete marriage and blood oath with Slime demon: Rei in 24 hours.
    Reward: Divine blessing. Unsealing memories.
    Penalty: Stalker's action revives. The threat of kidnapping is high.

?!?!

It became a quest?!!!

I never accepted this quest!

Who's giving it? And kidnapping?!?

I have never recognised any master or teacher...wait, I do have a compounding teacher. But that old lady never saw Rei, and her name isn't even on this quest!

No way...could it be like he said? Could it be the heavens are speaking?

"Nurunuru~ Eri, Eri, marriage~ I have quest penalty~ My punishment is grief~ what does grief feel like?~"

"Ahm...mmm....okay. Let's get married. You know I'm poor right? I can't afford a wedding dress or a banquet. I don't have friends or family to invite either. There's a small chapel in town."

"Yay~~ Eri! Eri! We love! We marry~"

"Okay, okay, I got it. Don't think you can trick me with your cute voice. I have to prepare, get off.."

The slime slid off the bed and plopped on the ground. It bubbled and spun into a tall figure.

"Good morning, my Eri."

Rei smiled happily.

"...yeah. I have to get ready! Turn around!!"

... ...

Other than her sleepwear, Eri only had 2 sets of clothing. She chose the newer looking one, and wore the soft leather armour she used when procuring compounding materials. This was her finest garment out of all that she owned. It was a bit embarrassing, but it will have to do.

She cut off some beetroot and squeezed out its juice. The juice was a deep purple-red. She never really had a reason to wear makeup, but she should at least be a bit prettier and more put together for her wedding, shouldn't she? Even if it's just a quest wedding...

Her finger dabbed into the red juice and she rubbed it on the apples of her cheeks. She also painted some on her lips and looked at her reflection from the rusted mirror on the shelf.

Hey, not bad. This natural looking makeup makes her look healthy and happy. She tidied her hair and poked Rei's back.

"I'm ready Rei."

Rei turned around and his eyes sparkled.

"My Eri, you are beautiful."

Eri's cheeks went a bit redder. The beet juice and her natural blush blended over each other on her smooth white cheeks.

"Really beautiful..."

"Ye-yeah thanks! You look good today too!"

They went out the door and headed for the chapel.

... ...

On their way there, owners of small vendors were setting up their booths on the street. They walked along the main street to the town square.

A small fountain gurgled in the centre. Various important buildings circled the fountain, and the town chapel stood in the middle.

When Eri and Rei passed by, an elderly woman called out.

"Eri?"

They turned around and Eri rushed over.

"Teacher! Good morning! What are you doing here?"

"Oh, bird watching. The morning air is so fresh. Oh my, who is that handsome young man beside you? Care to introduce?"

The elderly lady chuckled.

"Uhh..."

What am I going to do...tell my teacher I'm getting married right now?

"Good morning madam, I am Rei. Eri and I are getting married right now."

"Oh married! Marry!! Why didn't you tell me, Eri?"

"Uuu...it's..it's complicated. Even I didn't think.."

Oh no, I shouldn't tell her its part of my quest. How can I explain?

"Alright, I know. Young people have their reasons. This is a really nice young man! Aren't you inviting this old lady to your wedding?"

"Te-teacher!"

My wedding is so shabby...how can I let her attend it?

"Thank you, madam. Please be our witness."

Rei bowed to the old lady, and they all went into the chapel.

There were a few rows of old wooden benches and a small stone altar at the far end of the building. The town was too poor to have a priest. So most of the residents would hold their marriage vows in front of the altar with their family as witnesses.

The old lady sat on the bench before the altar. Eri went forward with Rei and looked back at her teacher.

Ugh...I'm really getting married. This is so awkward.

The pair in front of the alter couldn't be simpler. They were unadorned—without flowers, fine fabrics or jewels. But the soft morning light entering from the stained glass windows glimmered and undulated gently over the two. Green, blue and purple light made a dance on their skin.

It was a sight to behold for the old lady. How divine, she thought to herself. The pair looked like fairies stepping down into the mortal world.

... ...

They held each other's hands and read the vows engraved on the stone altar.

"Eri, my wife. I enter the covenant of marriage with you today, and I swear to love and support you for my life. Whether in sickness, pain, poverty or in times of prosperity, I will never forsake you."

"Rei, my husband. I enter the covenant of marriage with you today, and I swear to love and support you for my life. Whether in sickness, pain, poverty or in times of prosperity, I will never forsake you."

With the vows completed, both of them pricked their thumbs and pressed their fingers dripping with blood together.
    The blood oath was completed, and the old lady clapped her hands. The rays of light shining in from the window seemed to be a lot brighter all of a sudden.

Ding! Ding!
    [Divine Blessing Bestowed]
    Couple Auxiliary effects granted!

Active Skills
    [Power of Hugging]
    When a hug is shared, defence will increase by x3!
    [Power of Missing]
    When you think of each other, skills will increase levels by x3!
    [Power of Kissing]
    When a kiss is shared, mental/physical/spirit power will increase by x3!

Latent skills
    [Spouse Finder]
    Locates your spouse no matter where they are!
    [Soul Speech]
    Ability to communicate with your spouse without sound no matter how far apart you are!
    [Status Link]
    Both parties can sense the state of each other in detail such as emotional state or state of health.
    [Body Link]
    Any elemental attribute gained by one spouse will be shared with each other.

Oh my God talk about cheesy! I don't think I can ever activate these skills...Is this a divine prank? It's so darn exaggerated!!

Ding! Ding!

What there's more to come?!

[Memory Seal Removed]
    No description.

A shock hit Eri and she knelt down. Countless pictures swept through her eyes like a movie and she couldn't support herself.

"Eri?"

Rei embraced her limp body. The old lady came forward and took her pulse.

"She just seems to be dizzy. Did she have breakfast? It might be anaemia."

After a short while, Eri looked up at Rei. Her eyes were confused but they seemed like a different pair of eyes staring at him. These eyes were colder and darker than before, and it seemed to change her entire face. It was as if she was a completely different person, only with similar features.

"Rei?"

"Yes, my Eri?"

"I...I'm not just Eri...I..."

I'm a reincarnation.

Eri swallowed the rest of her sentence. She didn't know what was happening and it was hard to explain. It was bewildering how she seemed to know this world, yet a different feeling emerged, she felt that everything seemed so different, new and strange.

3. Nom Nom Plume

Reading List:
    Link
    Chapter 1 Part 17

"Eri dear, how are you feeling?"

The old lady placed her wrinkled palm on Eri's head. Eri smiled gently and saw concern expressed in her teacher's eyes.

"Thank you, teacher. I'm very good."

Rei tilted his head. Eri seemed more mature? This was the first time he saw her smile like that. Could it be related to her memory seal?

"Teacher, I found some rare compounding ingredients with Rei in the forest. Can we drop by your place?"

"Oh! Oh, that would be very nice! I have some new tea that I'd like you to try! And I almost forgot, Rei, I am Gwendoline the pharmacist."

Rei nodded at her politely in return. Gwendoline supported herself with her walking stick, and the three left the main square for the pharmacy.

... ...

Behind the pharmacy, there was a quiet garden with neatly arranged medicinal plants. Lush creeping plants packed the wall, and the place seemed full of life. Gwendoline unlocked the small door for Eri and Rei and went to the open-kitchen space to prepare tea and biscuits.

Eri sat down and prepared the medicinal materials. Rei helped Gwendoline take down the cups and plates and watched her prepare her newly developed magic tea.

"Do you know anything about compounding, boy?"

Rei shook his head and smiled. This was the first time he had seen these mysterious potions and pills that lined the wall. He picked up a translucent blue potion with a piece of curled bark floating in it and watched the sunlight pass through the liquid. Subconsciously, he gathered power in his eyes and began to see spots of blue and green lights sloshing in the bottle. Could these lights be water and wood elements?

[Appraisal]
    Anti-inflammatory potion
    E Rank (Compounding level: 2 stars)
    A liquid that can be taken orally to reduce fevers and heat strokes. External use can heal burns and can give a cooling effect to the applied site.
    Can be made with any E ranked aquatic plants and the bark of a weeping tree.

... ...

That simple? Rei blinked at the substance he appraised and put the bottle back on the shelf. Then he picked up an empty bottle and pulled out the cork. Three balls of liquid rippled out of his palm and fell into the glass bottle. The yellow, green and blue liquids fused together and formed a deep green potion with small crystals suspended in it. The bottle went hot for a moment and slowly cooled down.

Ding! Ding!

[Compounding Success!]
    Level-up potion
    B Rank (Compounding Level: 5 stars)
    Ingestion of the liquid will aid the user in levelling up rapidly while the user practices power skills.

... ...

"Oh my! Where did that come from?"

The old lady widened her eyes and adjusted her reading glasses. She had just finished brewing the magic tea and was surprised to see the rank B potion in Rei's hand. She was sure all the potions on her shelves were of C rank and below. Even she herself was only capable of producing C rank medicine!

"I made it, Miss Gwendoline."

"You made it! Oh dear, don't joke with this old lady. B rank potions can only be found in big cities. Moreover...the uniform crystals suspended in this liquid...the clean fragrance...and the purity of it is all top quality! Is it from a famous compounder?"

Rei smiled at Gwendoline and shook his head.

"No madam, I made it just now."

Several balls of medicinal liquids rippled out of Rei's hand, and he repeated the same procedure in another clean bottle. Gwendoline's eyes went even wider than before and she gaped at the liquid fusing in his hands.

"Boy, didn't you say you don't compound? You're a genius to be a 5-star compounder at this age! Don't be so modest! I've never seen anyone compound so quickly!"

Rei smiled wryly. It seemed to be difficult to explain to Gwendoline that he really only played around with some plant substances he stored in his body.

Eri came over after hearing Gwendoline's surprise. Upon seeing the Level-up potion in Rei's hand, her surprise turned into a chuckle.

"Ah...mhhehe."

She was used to Rei making unexpected things happen by now. This must have to do with him being a slime? Unlike Rei and her teacher, she couldn't manipulate the water element very well. She was a fire-user and most of her compounds were in the form of dry pills. But she was excited to try using the water element again. There was that power-sharing skill from the marriage blessing wasn't there?

"You're simply born to compound, Rei."

Rei looked at Eri in surprise.
    Again, it happened again! Eri is happy for him? This really is very different from before...but he liked it.

4. Nom Nom Plume

Reading List:
    Link
    Chapter 1 Part 18

"Will you sell this to the pharmacy, Rei?"

Gwendoline looked at Rei excitedly. Rei nodded and handed the two potions to her. She confirmed the effects with Rei and tied a description to each bottle.

Eri and Rei enjoyed the magic tea while Gwendoline brought the potions to the store manager. Very quickly, she came back with a small purse filled with 45 silver coins. Eri and Rei thanked Gwendoline and left the store after making plans to have dinner together.

... ...

Eri made a suggestion to Rei.

"The adventurer's guild, let go there."

Rei didn't really care where they were going. As long as it was with Eri, he was content.

The streets were getting busy at the time just before noon, and the two waded through the crowd. As Eri was getting further and further, Rei slipped through the crowd with an unexpected speed and grasped her hand.

Eri turned to look at him questionably, but Rei explained himself.

"I will get lost, my Eri."

"..."

Would he really?

The marriage blessing gave them the [Body Link] skill. It should be equivalent to a 21st century GPS system...

Eri shook her head and smiled. Why does it feel like she's dealing with a primary school boy? Could it be...Rei is actually really just a child in terms of human years? Eri shook her head again, let's not think about it too much. It would be difficult to accept if Rei was really underaged...she'll never peer at that part of his status. Ever.

They arrived at the adventurer's guild in no time, and Eri pulled Rei straight to the administration counter. A plump flax-haired lady sat there reading the morning paper.

"Hello? I'd like to make a new registration."

"Hm?"

The woman looked up and saw Eri. When she moved her gaze to Rei, her eyes flashed with surprise. She sat up a bit straighter and gestured towards him.

"Is it for this young gent? Please fill in this form first. After we confirm it, you can come to the testing stone and collect your identity token."

Rei took the paper and saw that he needed to provide his full name, race, age, occupation, main skills and power type.

"Don't worry about it. I'll help you fill it out, Rei."

Eri smiled and led him to the wall-mounted desks. Fortunately, the age information is optional. Rei's race is too sensitive...we'll put 'magic' as his race. Adventurers with mixed blood tend to put 'magic' down to avoid confusion. His occupation can be...'unregistered compounder'. Hmm, let's also write 'mage' after 'unregistered compounder'. Mages are common and can fight with magic, but I think Rei's abilities should already be in the category of a magician. Since Rei is a slime, we'll write 'water element' for the power type. And it's complete!

Eri urged Rei to hand in the form. After a while, the administration lady invited them into the testing stone room. Rei's water element was confirmed by the testing stone, and he received the identity token easily. He also traded in the beautiful animal pelts and well-preserved nuclei and received 50 pieces of silver in total.

When the two left, a sturdy man with beady eyes stepped out from the second floor and passed several pieces of silver to an attendant.

"Tell me everything about that green-haired man, and his relation to Eri."

... ...

It was mid noon when Eri brought Rei to the museum of weaponry. He can get some simple weapons here, and maybe she can also pick something up and learn to fight.

Eri observed the weapons slowly, and Rei also took a look around the displays. His eyes caught onto a plate of armour worn on a wooden doll. The decorative chest plate was similar to a tube-top, but the middle of the chest was empty and exposed the cleavage of the wooden doll. At the groin area was a leather bikini bottom supported by silvery metal strips on the hips.

This is a female armour set? It's called...'Master Tyfon year xxxxx: Bikini armour prototype'. There's a paper note next to the description plate. Is it on discount? For sale?

The floor manager saw that Rei was immersed in the set of armour and quickly approached him.

"Hello, is the guest interested in this plate of armour? Although it's not enchanted or made with precious materials, it can still be considered as a unique work of art from Master Tyfon's hands. After the discount, it's only 30 pieces of silver."

The manager was happy someone finally took an interest in this piece of wall art. They were waiting to clear out the display place for newly arrived items.

"I will buy this, thank you."

Rei handed the money to the manager in a good mood and took the armour into his storage.

A wedding gift for Eri~

5. Nom Nom Plume

Reading List:
    Link
    Chapter 1 Part 19

After storing away the bikini armour, Rei continued to stroll around the exhibits until he met Eri again at the display of hidden weapons.

"You're in a good mood, Rei?"

"Yes, my Eri."

He really likes weapons doesn't he? Eri smiled to herself.

"I also want to increase my attack power. Just because you can fight doesn't mean I should take the back seat."

Eri saw that Rei had high combat power and felt somewhat left behind. Moreover, she didn't like to depend on others, not even in her last life. People always betrayed her expectations. The most reliable person is always herself. And as a woman from the 21st century, if a man can do it, a woman can do it.

But...I'm not fast, I don't have much arm strength, and my legs aren't strong...I can't fit into any type of warrior class. I suppose, I can be a mage?

Ugh...I thought people who reincarnate were supposed to have amazing cheats! But I'm really grateful for that marriage blessing. My mental power was raised from 345 to 5000. I guess life's figured out for me already, I'll work hard at being a magician!

... ...

Rei surveyed the star-shaped blades, darts and chained weapons. These weapons are similar to the gift those two people sent him when he first arrived in town with Eri. Throwing things out of his body was pretty fun~

He finally settled on a long chain with a hooked blade at the end. Eri says he shouldn't use his slime body as a weapon in front of people. This chain is flexible and long, its mid-range attacking style is similar to his slime whip. He asked for the collection of chained blades available for sale and decided on one that was enchanted with a water element nuclei. He paid 25 pieces of silver for it and left the museum of weaponry with Eri.

... ...

If I have to become a magician, then I need to increase my knowledge—especially in the area of attack. I hope the bookstore has books covering this topic.

Eri continued their shopping trip at the bookstore. The bell jingled when they stepped in. The interior was a little dim and the air was cool.

"Welcome to Harvey's bookstore!"

"Good afternoon, do you have books about magic attacks? Especially fire attacks?"

"Yes, we have books of that category. Please follow me. As for attacks specialising in fire...I'm afraid not."

Eri frowned. Isn't fire attack a popular option?

... ...

Rei left Eri's side and wandered through the bookshelves. When he reached the deeper end of the store, a field of power hit him.

Sheeeeng!

The power vibrated through the air like sound waves. It bombarded him from all directions and disrupted his mind. Rei resisted his lightheadedness and shot towards the power source with his mental power.

Pshaaaa!

Like the gushing of a waterfall, the field of power was drained empty. Rei stepped forward in the direction of a dark and dusty shelf and found that it was empty except for one book. The hardcover was frayed and yellowed. He brushed off the coat of dust and discovered that there was no title or author. It was completely blank. Opening up the pages, he found that there was nothing on the inside as well.

"..."

This book isn't simple. It reacted to his power just now. Like what he did when he first compounded, he gathered mental power in his eyes. The surface of the book rippled and two words in gold foil floated to the surface. 'Spirit Power'. Rei's eyes flashed...

... ...

"Rei, are you coming?"

Eri was a little upset that she couldn't find anything she wanted today. Rei paid 80 copper coins for the book and they left the store.

Jingle...

... ...

After the two left, the store clerks chatted.

"Did you see the blank book just now?"

"Yeah, I can't believe it. I guess there's a market for anything. Hahaha~"

"Hm, you don't know this, but the owner told me a story about his grandfather."

"Is it related to that book?"

"Exactly. He said an elf once came to this town and sold a stack of books."

"An elf?!"

"Yeah, and when his grandfather received a blank book, he asked if the elf made a mistake. But the elf said, 'oh, not everyone can read that book.'"

"That's it?"

"Well, his grandfather bought it anyway. But no one could ever open the book. So it was left in a corner."

"Haaa...that's so mysterious. I wonder if there's any treasure or mysterious power method inside."

"Who knows, elves have always been enigmatic..."

6. Nom Nom Plume

Reading List:
    Link
    Chapter 1 Part 20

The beady-eyed man from the adventurer's guild stepped out from the shadow and watched the two leave the bookstore.

He turned around and walked down a street stained with urine and vomit, but stepped on something suspiciously soft.

"It reeks!"

He lifted his boot and scraped the sole on the ground. He continued and came to the front of a two-story building with the mark of a dancing woman.

Jingle...

"Hello, mister~ We're not open for business until evening, hehehe."

A heavily powdered woman opened the door and smiled smugly at him with bright scarlet lips.

"Tell Gina it's Pascal."

"Oh I recognise that name, come on in~"

... ...

"The green-haired man, you mean Rei, is a compounder? No wonder he didn't care about star badges...a nobleman like him could easily get Eri any number of badges she wants!"

"You know him, Gina?"

"Oh, Pascal, Devin and I met them in the demon forest. That Rei guy is completely smitten with Eri. They're even calling each other husband and wife."

"...Eri's staying with him, willingly?"

"Hah, why not. He's handsome, rich, and a compounder. Any girl would run off with a man like that to leave this rundown place."

"...Eri isn't that type of person."

"Yeah, yeah, and why are you still so into that bitch? I thought you'd given up after that time failed to make her your woman."

"Oh no...I played the nice guy. But if she can't be mine, then no one can have her."

The thick lips of Pascal tilted upwards, and he fiddled with a metal chain he liked to carry around. Gina felt a crawl up her spine. This guy is so damn creepy. Ahahahaha! But this is good. This is great for Eri, isn't it?

... ...

Eri was making new compounds in the meantime. Her control over the water element was much smoother than before. And under Rei's suggestion, she could see spots of coloured lights for different elements in the medicinal plants. Compounding has never been so fun and easy!~

Rei watched Eri for a while and started to read about spirit power.

It is said that spirit power relates to seeing a reality that cannot be seen with the naked eye.

Could it be similar to seeing those balls of elemental lights? He thought he was using mental power?

The book also said that once the practitioner can fully 'see' what cannot be seen, they can manipulate the spirits of others. Whether it'd be trust, fear, respect, this power can make others surrender emotionally. However, some people may only stop there. Stronger spirits users can even kill cleanly and silently by cutting off other people's spirits.

Rei's eye's glimmered with interest. He would like to try this~

... ...

When evening arrived, the both of them took off for the restaurant Gwendoline chose.

The setting sun dyed the streets with a red-orange light. The light felt redder than usual.

Rei felt a malicious stare and slowly turned back. His eyes collided with a man's beady eyes. A haze of madness lurked in his gaze.

Someone who wishes harm on him?

He saw that the man's gaze moved to Eri and moved back to him provocatively.

Oh, he's targeting Eri?

Rei gathered power in his eyes and looked at the man again. He saw something akin to a heat wave from the man's body. The haze of rage, madness and possessiveness was stronger than before.

Is that his spirit? It's like a flame...

Rei held his hand up and imagined his hand growing larger and larger in the air. Unlike using magic, he didn't use power from the mind. This power felt as though it was a part of him—like an extended reality. It was as if whatever he imagined could be realised. A similar flame-like existence extended from his body all the way to the beady-eyed man.

"Strangle."

Rei whispered.

The man's eyes bulged for a moment, and he struggled with disbelief. In the blink of an eye, his breath was cut off. His body slumped on the ground, but no one stopped to care.

Rei retrieved his hand and followed after Eri.

7. Nom Nom Plume

Reading List:
    Link
    Chapter 2 Part 1

Eri recognised a familiar figure when she arrived at the restaurant with Rei. She frowned and went inside. Gina stopped in front of her with an unusually friendly smile.

"We're having a family reunion for all our brothers and sisters next week,"

"Sorry Gina, I have other things to do."

"Tsk!"

Eri refused promptly. She knew none of them really wanted to see her. They must be up to no good.

When Gina left, she saw Pascal on the ground not far away.

"What happened to you..."

She found no breath from Pascal's nose. There were no internal injuries or marks left on his body. He seemed to have died for no reason...

... ...

"Gwendoline!"

Eri sat down with Rei and enjoyed the dishes her teacher ordered while Rei sipped on juice.

"I thought you would be a nun for life, Eri. Hohoho~"

"Eh!?"

"You were never into boys! Ahaha!"

"..."

Well, Rei is special after all...

"I'm thinking of leaving this town, teacher."

"...Ho, I was expecting that to happen soon~"

"You're alright with it?"

"Don't stay here, you have talent in compounding. You're meant for a wider world, dear."

Gwendoline smiled knowingly. Perhaps this child will find her origins one day. Eri's talents, looks and mannerism all didn't fit in with this town. It was strange that such a child was in the orphanage.

When Gwendoline went home, she opened the gift box Eri handed to her and widened her eyes.

"Legendary Hundred Hearts...that child...."

... ...

Eri and Rei left the town quietly in the morning.

"My Eri, I have a gift for you."

"Eh? You bought a gift?"

Rei flashed the bikini armour out of space and handed it to Eri.

"...thank...you, why did you buy this?"

"You would look beautiful in it."

"..."

Eri was stunned silent. But she broke into a laugh. Is Rei an unintentional pervert?

"Ahahahaha!"

Being with Rei is like a breath of fresh air. Sadly, for him, she'll never have the chance to wear this...but maybe she'll just try it on once when no ones watching.

"I've never been to the slime dungeon, Rei. Let's go there!"

... ...

Rei led Eri through the traps and avoided all the boss monsters inside the slime dungeon.

In the mossy cave, glowing blue mushrooms were scattered along the wall. Slimes the size of birds and rabbits were oozing and lolling on the ground. But when Rei came close, all the slimes rolled towards him in a rush.

"Rei!"

"Nothing's wrong."

Punipunipuni~

The different coloured slimes extended little tentacles around Rei and prodded at him. Some tried to climb on him, and others wrapped around his legs.

"What are they doing?"

"Recognising a king..."

No wonder, Rei is the greatest slime in this dungeon.

"How can we leave if you are their king, Rei?"

Rei looked at the colony of slimes surrounding him. A thought fleeted across his mind, and he waved his hand over the slimes. In a flash, all of them were delivered to his storage space.

"Ahh!?! You can store living things inside your body?"

"...Because they are slime."

Eri marvelled at Rei's body. It carried endless surprises.

As they went deeper into the dungeon, the number of glowing blue mushrooms were packed denser on the wall.

"What mushrooms are these?"

"Happy mushrooms, my Eri."

"Happy? ..."

Eri cast appraisal on the mushrooms.

[Appraisal]
    Hyphaepon
    Rank C
    This glowing mushroom is a harmless hallucinogen. If ingested, it gives the feeling of euphoria and happiness. Hoohihoo~

"..."

That description was on drugs...

As she continued walking, the glowing blue light covered a much larger area than before. Eri looked up and took her breath.

"Humongous..."

[Appraisal]
    King Hyphaepon
    Rank A
    This extra large hyphaepon not only induces euphoria and happiness, it also relieves all pain and fear. It's the ultimate medicine for happiness! Anyone who approaches will be so happy they'll forget everything else. Heehoo~

"Ah...no wonder this rank A mushroom is still here. Everyone was too happy they forgot to take it..."

How do we harvest this? It sounds really useful for making pain relieving medicine.

Rei turned his hand into a whip. He severed the mushroom from the stalk and lifted it back.

"Eri, do you like it?"

"Ah..hahaheeehehe, aha, ehehehehe~ ah-"

Eri immediately flashed the car-sized King Hyphaepon into her body storage.

"Whew! It almost got me!"

Eri patted her chest.

"Did anyone ever eat one of these things?"

"Well, I've seen hungry adventurers cook it..."

"Someone actually tried to!"

"And they died laughing."

"What a way to die..."

Eri looked at the glowing powder left on her hands and burnt it off with fire magic. She'll have to study a safe dose of this for later...

8. Nom Nom Plume

Reading List:
    Link
    Chapter 2 Part 2

Eri and Rei left the slime dungeon after collecting all the medical treasures. They travelled east, towards the land of demons.

Eri believed a place like that will allow Rei to grow and flourish. A human country would stifle his potential. Besides, she came to a different world, but she's yet to meet cat girls, bunny boys, elves or vampires!

... ...

Like before, Rei turned into a slime and stayed in her tent at night. They woke up at mid-morning and Eri made a simple breakfast with dried vegetables and tomatoes. Fuuu, these things are convenient when I need to make soup on the go~

But now that she has a living storage, she would like to store an entire farm in her space!

Although Rei didn't have the soup, he swallowed the plant vitality around their camp. The grass was instantly shrivelled dry.

Eri stared at the circle of dead plants. Oh dear, it would bring trouble if people saw Rei doing this. Eri warned Rei to eat discreetly next time.

... ...

The two travelled until they reached a wide clearing. The air was slightly moist and cooler than earlier. They could also hear the deafening sound of a waterfall.

When they arrived at the bank of a flowing pool, the scene was breathtaking. Thick clouds of water gushed down a rocky gorge, and large brown rocks dispersed around the pool.

Let's sit a little away from the waterfall~

Eri and Rei found a large rock with a flat surface and scraped off the moss. The moss shouldn't be wasted, it's good for planting! Eri threw several pieces in her space.

When she sat down, she felt a cool energy fluctuate into her body. Her soul and spirit were instantly refreshed, and the fatigue from walking was washed away. Were waterfalls always this amazing?

She flicked open her active status screen, and her health points were slowly jumping up. No joke! It's really a different world, even waterfalls are magical!

Maybe she can bring Alfie out to recover. He hasn't woken up from moulting yet. This sort of gentle recovery energy is perfect for him.

... ...

Snap!

A water whip slashed without warning at where they were sitting. Hooking his arm around her waist almost instantly, Rei jumped backwards with Eri.

"Get out you little shits! This lord has claimed the site!"

Someone? That haughty voice sounds so familiar...

Eri looked at Rei. Maybe they should leave. But Rei's hand manipulated the pool water and sent forth a water boulder.

Whoosh!

The boulder rammed into the direction of the voice and broke open the curtain of the waterfall.

The man had nowhere to run. He chanted a spell to defend himself and escaped underwater.

[Water Shield]!

Glub, glub....

Shaaaah!

The man made an unexpected turn and emerged from the plunge pool. He slapped the pool and obstructed their vision with a shower of water.

[Ice Blade]!

The blades of ice shot out of the water. Rei reacted swiftly and waved several pieces of pebbles out of his space. Each piece struck the ice blades at their weakest points.

Clang! Clang!

Lines of fissure ran through the ice blades and they shattered back into the pool.

Rei's move shocked the man. So accurate? And with pebbles? He winced and took a closer look at his enemy.

"...It's you!! It's you again, shit slime!"

The fig leaf covering his nether region flapped dangerously from the excitement.

Rei covered Eri's eyes.

"Do not dirty the sight of my wife."

"...that's why I told you to get out!"

"Streaker."

"You little shit!"

"Your family jewels are dangling. Ugly. Dirty. Go away, please."

The white-haired man hesitated and adjusted the fig leaf.

Eri was speechless, Rei's vocabulary was getting richer by the day, but he never forgets to be polite. Were slimes always this civilised?

"This Fox Lord is a taking a shower! Remove yourselves, you make my air filthy!"

"..."

Eri looked at Rei again, and Rei looked back at her. They were both holding back from laughing.

The man saw that the two did not move with threats or reason. Should he change tactics? There's no way he can beg!

"This fox lord is a germaphobe! I am suing for psychological damage!!"

Eri burst into a laugh. She's never seen someone so self-important!

"This is public property."

Rei gave a short answer, ignored the man, and took Eri by the hand back to the rock.

9. Nom Nom Plume

Reading List:
    Link
    Chapter 2 Part 3

Although exasperated, the white-haired man went back under the waterfall. He left promptly after bathing.

... ...

Eri waved Alfie out of her beast contract space and laid him on the rock. She flicked open his active status screen and was pleased to see his health points recovering.

[Active Status]
    [Alfie] Eri's contract beast
    [HP] 340/650 → 380/650
    [MP] 840/650 → 820/650
    [State] Moulting, excessive mana load

Excessive mana load? Is this because he evolved too much and too quickly? Fortunately, we've found the waterfall.

"He will wake up soon."

Rei spoke softly.

"Eh? How do you know, Rei?"

"A feeling."

"...then, let's stay here until Alfie recovers. If it takes too long, I think we can set our camp in the area above the waterfall."

Eri observed the top of the gorge. There should be freshwater fish and prawns in the river above. They don't have to hurry to find a place to camp tonight.

... ...

At twilight, Alfie's eyes cracked open. He shuffled out of the pile of moult and extended his wings.

"Gau, gau!"

"Alfie!"

Eri picked him up and stroked his small wings. How beautiful, the purple fur blended seamlessly with the feathers of his wings. The tips of his wings faded into white. An air of elegance radiated from his body. This must be the effect of the winged-lion's blood.

... ...

Thick clouds rolled across the darkening purple and blue sky. Rei hooked his arm around Eri's waist and stepped on the water.

"Rei?"

Eri was shocked. Rei can walk on water?

They went through the wall of vapour created by the gushing of water, but Eri didn't feel the droplets hit her. Rei waved the surrounding water into a spherical barrier and parted their way into the waterfall. Eri could feel them moving upwards, against the water flow.

"We're going through the waterfall? Can all water element magicians do this?"

Eri did not practice magic deeply, she didn't know Rei was more than just a user of the water element. When the direction of the water started flowing frontwards, they emerged out of the river.

Rei dropped Eri down by the river bank, and they surveyed the area. The gorge extended from the waterfall in a u-shape. There was a woodland on the other side of the river. Behind them was a rocky ground, but it formed a slope that led to a wide clearing.

"That's great! We can camp near the waterfall~"

When they descended down the slope, another tent was already set up on the short fluffy grass. Its smooth pink fabric and gold tassels at the entrance stood out conspicuously.

Wow, talk about camping luxuriously. It must be a female traveller who came to enjoy the waterfall.

Eri smiled and went to greet their neighbour.

"Good evening miss, we're camping here as well. If you're free, we can have dinner together later."

"..."

The tent was silent. Perhaps, the owner went out?

Flap!

The door of tent whipped open violently.

"Who's a miss you little shit! Are you here to harass me? Was it not enough just now?!"

The white-haired man jabbed his pointer in the air. Oh, if he could poke a hole through these people it would be great! These pests seem to be following him everywhere, taking his things, ruining his day!

"...Ah? You..."

Eri took a few steps back. She got the wrong person. But is it surprising? This spot is so scenic and perfect for camping, why wouldn't he stay here?

"Um, we'll take our leave."

Eri made a small wave with her hand. Hehe...she really didn't want to stir up trouble with this fire-tempered man.

"Hey! Hello! Travellers?"

A scratchy high-pitched voice called from above the slope.

They turned around and saw a small green man struggling his way down. When he looked up, a big eye blinked in the centre of his face.

One eye?! This, what is this...thing?

"Oh, I'm so sorry for disturbing you. There are so many people camping here, you wouldn't mind if I stay around, would you?"

"You are?"

Eri raised her eyebrows with surprise.

"Get away goblin shit!"

The white-haired man pinched his nose and waved at the green man. He continued to hurl insults.

"You're so damn ugly, you're ruining the view!"

"..."

All of them fell silent.

Eri couldn't say anything. She's not related to this fox demon or the goblin. It was not her place to step between them. However this area doesn't belong to anyone, the goblin can only stay if he wants to.

"Er, we'll set our tent up over there."

Eri pointed 50 metres away.

"Traveller girl, I can help guard the camp! I can help set up a fire! Please don't shoo me away."

The scrawny goblin was the size of a ten-year-old child. When he begged like that, he really looked...pitiful.

Eri frowned. She doesn't know much about demons. But that fox demon is here, it should be fine to have one more pair of eyes...

10. Nom Nom Plume

Reading List:
    Link
    Chapter 2 Part 4

Eri didn't want the goblin to stay with them, but he insisted on following her. He was sticking too close and getting too friendly for her to be comfortable.

The white-haired man saw that the goblin was leaving with Eri and closed the door to his tent. Hmph, stupid woman! You're only asking for trouble if you're kind to a goblin. That should teach them a lesson, he doesn't have to move a finger to see them suffer.

... ...

"Miss, if you are preparing dinner now, where should I set up the fire?"

The goblin fiddled his hands and look at Eri eagerly.

"It's fine. I've brought my own firewood. You don't need to help."

Eri made a polite wave of goodbye. She didn't want to look at the goblin too much. His eyeball that was the size of a chicken egg was really unnerving. It was light brown in colour and protruded from the socket like a marble.

The goblin went forward and almost grabbed Eri, but she avoided and stepped aside. Sorry, she didn't mean to discriminate, but she's not fine with strangers touching her.

"No! Miss, please, I've been starving for ages! I'm useful..."

Eri sighed. It was hard to get angry at this little demon.

"...We'll be cooking up the slope. It'll help us out if you can collect large rocks to set up around the fire."

She took her tent out and set it up with Rei. They decided to leave Alfie inside to rest.

... ...

The three climbed upslope again and went upstream. Rei started teaching Eri to catch fish by manipulating water. The goblin watched them for a while and began to collect large rocks and pebbles along the river bank.

He went further down the river after a while and checked behind him cautiously. It should be fine now. His eye has been a little painful ever since he was in the presence of those three people. That green-haired man was especially weird. He can use elemental magic without casting spells...

Although those people smell dangerous. But where there's danger, there are always prizes.

He threw the pebble in his hand back into the river. Tsk, who do they think they are, despising him. He'll see how they can look at him like that after he becomes a hobgoblin!

The goblin ran quietly towards the waterfall and reached the slope. He observed the pink tent and found that the white-haired man wasn't going to come out any time soon. His eye moved to the plain brown tent that the couple owned. That little beast should still be inside.

The goblin sneaked towards the brown tent and slipped in. He looked greedily at Alfie that was curled up on a pillow. His eye has been itching ever since he saw this beast.

[Eye of truth]!

His eye turned golden and he saw a dazzling ball of light inside the beast. This is not a nucleus...it's a heart! Even he doesn't have a heart! If he swallows this, he might even become a hobgoblin king!

But this dog-like cat...no, cat-like dog...God know what this is...even his true eyes can't see through its species.

The energy leaking from its body is making him salivate. It's so fresh, so tender, and so very delicious...

The goblin crept up slowly and pounced forward abruptly.

"Hah!"

He grabbed Alfie by the wings and ran out of the tent. Where can he go? The most dangerous place is the safest place. Alfie woke up in his grip. He struggled but couldn't get away.

The goblin reached the edge of the waterfall and hopped agilely down to the rocky cliff area. He found a space amongst the densely packed rocks and started striking Alfie's body against the cliff. The more the better! Stimulate this beast! Prepare his flesh! Make his blood boil! When he eats its heart it will be overflowing with aura!

Wham! Wham!

"Gauuuuu!"

Alfie bled from the snout and struggled. He couldn't fly free.

Rrrip!

The goblin tore apart Alfie's wings with all the strength he could muster. But only a clump feather fell from his hands. This sturdy beast! He threw the feathers on the ground.

At the moment, Alfie broke free and bit into his neck.

"Gah!"

The Goblin clawed at Alfie's body and tried to pull away. No! He can't die here!

Zzzzap!

A current of electricity ran from Alfie into the goblin's body and the goblin started convulsing. No! No! He can't die!! How can this beast display the power of lightning?! The goblin's eye turned golden with anger.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2018
  11. Nom Nom Plume

Reading List:
    Link
    Chapter 2 Part 5

Inside his tent, the white-haired man felt a fluctuation of light power. Hm? How odd, light users are not common. There's another one here beside him? He put down the meditation beads and went out of the tent. He sensed the power leaking from the direction of the waterfall. However, it smelled rancid.

Is this really light magic? It feels filthy! It doesn't make sense. Light is meant to purify all things, how in the world can it feel dirty?

He sped up to the scene. When he peered down the cliff he saw Alfie biting deeply into the goblins neck. Disgusting! The white-haired man stepped back from the gushing flow of blood with a grimace. He saw the goblin wasn't resisting but it was doing something strange. It seemed to be holding its head painfully, and its eye was shining with a gold light. Power of light? It was from this goblin?!

The white-haired man widened his eyes incredulously. No, it can't be. He took a closer look and felt the goblin with his own light element. No...it's not really the element of light...the white-haired man was conflicted. It's not the element of light, but an inheritance of light! This is even worse!

Goblins are creatures of darkness. This is the most paradoxical thing he has ever seen. If the goblin carries the blood inheritance of light, the only possibility...is if a hobgoblin forced itself on a saintly woman. Disgusting! This thing of evil must be erased!

The white-haired man whipped out his string of meditation beads and clasped his hands together.

Clack, clack, clack...

The beads rattled and formed a barrier around the goblin and Alfie.

[Purify]!

A bright light shot out of the man's body and fell on the goblin inside the bead barrier. The goblin shuddered and started to bleed from the eyeball. It screeched and clawed at its eye in pain. After some time, the skin of its body started to burn. There was no fire, but the skin seared off, cracked and blackened. The eyeball fell out of the goblin's head and rolled into the crevice between the cliff rocks.

Alfie was unaffected by the light. In fact, his wounds were healing rapidly. He let go of the goblin's neck and dug the eyeball out of the crevice. He could feel that this was a good thing! Alfie stuffed it in his mouth.

The white-haired man saw this and grimaced. Damn this lucky beast! Whatever, it can also be considered the spoils of his fight.

In the end, the goblin's body turned black and charred from head to toe. The white-haired man retracted his string of beads. Good grief, now he has to bring this filthy thing back to report to the elders.

... ...

"What's happening?"

Eri climbed down the slope with Rei and saw the white-haired man standing at the cliff. They were harvesting a lot of fish, prawns, and crabs earlier, but the goblin went missing halfway.

The both of them stooped beside the white-haired man and followed his gaze.

"Alfie! Why are you here?"

Eri quickly descended down the rocky area and picked Alfie up. When she climbed back up again, she looked at the dried blood on his snout and quickly rubbed an ointment over it.

"Auuuuuu."

"Sorry Alfie, I know it stinks."

"He's not hurt."

The white-haired man spoke up. Eri turned to him with a frown.

"What do you mean?"

The white-haired man pointed to the black goblin body and explained.

"When he was fighting the goblin, I came over to purify that filth. My light healed him. Now you owe me a favour!"

"..."

Eri peered into Alfie's eyes to confirm the truth. So this is where the goblin disappeared to? It fooled them!

"Are you really okay, Alfie?"

"Gau! Gau!"

Alfie whipped his tail with delight. But when he opened his mouth, a golden ball rolled out.

Plop.

"This is?"

Rei picked up the eyeball. He turned it around and wrapped it in his palm. The moisture from the eyeball was drawn out. It shrunk visibly and eyeball crumbled away to reveal a golden pearl.

"Eri, a gift."

Rei smiled and held the pearl over Eri's earlobe.

"Pretty."

The white-haired man scowled.

"You country bumpkin! It's an inheritance of light! How can you treat it as women's jewellery!"

Rei ignored him.

"You owe me a favour!"

Eri furrowed her brows and looked at the man.

"You want this?"

"...not that, you have to help me!"

"Help you?"

"Yes! Help me wrap that filthy body up and carry it back home!"

"??"

Eri raised her eyebrow at the strange request.

"Why, you can do it yourself."

"No, you don't understand. It's filthy! It's disgusting! I can't touch it! Did you forget? I am a germaphobe!"

The white-haired man jabbed at his chest and declared proudly.

Eri pursed her lips and looked doubtfully at him. Is this something to be proud of? She put Alfie down and took out a roll of muslin tape.

"Then we'll go together, fox demon."

"Hmph bumpkin, you don't know this fox lord is not a fox demon. I am a celestial fox lord!"

"..."

"My name is Uryu! Did your mother not teach you to call people by their names?"

Eri smirked.

"...I don't have a mother."

"..."

Uryu went quiet. Oh, he didn't mean it...no, how annoying, she must be playing him!

12. Nom Nom Plume

Reading List:
    Link
    Ch. 2 Part 6
    Should I stop posting here :facepalm: I think everyone went to Wattpad or RRL to read this... XD
    Eri finished wrapping the goblin's body and threw it into her storage space. It was very timely that Uryu invited them to his home. They may be able to learn more about the land of demons from his mouth.

Except, he said he's not a fox demon but a celestial fox...lord?

"You said you are not a demon. Does that mean you are a beast-man?"

"You're a beast! Your mother is a beast!"

Uryu pulled a face of disgust.

"..."

Did he have to curse at my mother again? Eri rubbed the back of her neck in confusion. He's not a demon nor a beast?

"Then what are you?"

"Huh, you don't even know this? Humans are really ignorant. Celestial foxes are fairies!"

"Fairy......"

Everyone fell silent. Eri imagined an unearthly beautiful girl with a pair of wings, fluttering in the air. She looked up at Uryu. He was almost seven feet tall with a muscular build. Although those golden eyes and that mane of waist-length silky white hair did appear very ethereal...she couldn't match the picture of the two together.

Wouldn't he be a 90kg fairy with bulging muscles?! Eri shook her head to dispel the picture.

Uryu patted his robe and turned to leave.

"Wait! Where are you heading?"

Eri was worried. If he was a fairy, then they can't travel to the land of demons. She wants to find a place where Rei can fit in and live without unnecessary attention from others.

"To the east, of course!"

"Eh? You are heading for the land of demons?"

"Why wouldn't I be, you bumpkin!"

"Er...don't fairies live in a fairy country?"

Uryu's nostrils widened with disbelief. Which backwater dung did these bums sprout from??

"Did you not take history classes? Fairies have no designated land! We live where we want."

He was getting impatient. When they get there, wouldn't he have to explain every little thing to these bumpkins? God, what kind of lackeys did he find...

... ...

After Uryu left in a huff, Eri turned around and found Rei studying the golden pearl.

"Is that the inheritance of light?"

"Yes...it feels very fresh..."

"I wonder, what's so special about this? But Uryu didn't take it."

"Because the goblin is too ugly, my Eri."

"But you're giving it to me?"

Eri squinted jokingly.

"I cleaned it. Open up."

Rei looked up with a smile. He reached for Eri's chin and stuffed the pearl into her mouth.

"Umf!"

Eri widened her eyes. Rei's finger turned into slime and pushed the pearl down her throat.

Gulp...

"Rei! Why did you do that!"

"It's a gift, my Eri."

Rei traced her cheek with a finger and dropped into her hands in the form of a slime.

Plop...

"...You...you're escaping the conversation!"

Eri squeezed and kneaded the blob of slime in her hands.

Nurunuru~

The slime bubbled happily.

"Rei..."

Rei didn't know how to explain to her. He just had a feeling that this pearl was a good thing. A really good thing. Although Eri is not a demon nor a beast, he felt that it could still be eaten by her—much like how demons and beasts absorb each other's nuclei for growth.

Oh, he was in a good mood.

Nurunuru~

Eri let out a sigh and carried Rei back into the tent. What is he up to? He's moving up and down. Is he dancing? Pfft...

... ...

Although Eri felt no big change in her body, she felt a little more refreshed and awake. It was as if the smell of the grass and the sound of water flowing was clearer and sharper than before. Even when she was eating the fish they had grilled earlier, she didn't feel the need to add spices or condiments. The taste of everything was much more prominent than she was used to. It was so strong she felt they could have skipped marinating the meat before cooking it.

After washing up, she closed her eyes and fell asleep. Rei watched over her and looked at her chest rise and fall peacefully. A small golden light flashed between her eyebrows and disappeared before he could see it clearly.

A small green tentacle from his body and touched the place that just flashed.

Hot?

Rei retracted his finger. He bubbled contentedly in Eri's arms and went to sleep.

... ...

The three of them rose by dawn and packed up their tents. Eri carried the food waste from last night and disposed of it when they travelled away from the waterfall. As someone from the 21st century, the conservation of nature was ingrained in her. Such a beautiful place should be preserved~

Eri took out an old map Gwendoline gifted her before they left. According to it, there should be a small village up ahead. They can rest there tonight and hopefully stock up on food before they reach the border of the demon's land.

The dense trees of the forest dwindled as they continued. Finally, they found a path that was clear of vegetation. This must be the way to the village!

Before long, they saw a wooden signpost nailed cemented into the ground. It was unkept. Moss grew over it and the words were faded.

"Why is it like this?"

Eri flashed a dagger out of her space and scraped away the moss. The words were faded away, but this should be the place they are looking for. They followed the path and reached a short stone wall. It was still late in the afternoon, but there was no one guarding the entrance. In fact, they could not hear the sound of people at all.

13. Nom Nom Plume

Reading List:
    Link
    Ch. 2 Part 7

"It's too quiet for a village."

Eri frowned and put her dagger away. The three of them went forward cautiously.

"Ugh, it feels dirty here! I'm not staying here!"

Uryu stopped and waved at the air around him.

"Dirty?"

Eri tilted her head. What's dirty?

"If I say it's dirty, it's dirty! Look I'm getting goosebumps! I don't have to see it to know it's filthy over here, hmph."

Uryu pulled out a white muslin towel and wiped his hands.

Eri raised her eyebrow. What is he doing? He clearly touched nothing out of the norm. Is this...a mental disorder?

"Gau! Gau!"

Whooooosh!

Alfie burst forward all of a sudden and clawed at the air. A gust of wind passed through them and Alfie ran after it.

"Alfie! Come back!"

"Gau! Gau gau!"

Eri chased after Alfie into the village and Rei followed closely.

"Tsk! Those bumpkins!"

Uryu looked down at the cloth in his hands. It was completely dyed in black. Those ignorant boons! This place is really filthy! He scowled, threw the towel on the floor, and went after them.

... ...

Eri chased Alfie into a simple log house. She hesitated. The door was already open, and there was no sign of people anywhere near.

Whimper...

Whatever goes! Eri rushed in when she heard Alfie groan. She thought there was nobody!

When she stumbled into the dark room, a musty air hit her face. The entire room was coated in a thick layer of dust. It felt heavy and dense, so much that it was hard to move and even breathe.

Alfie struggled on the ground but he wasn't fighting anything visible. He clawed at the floor and rolled over on his back.

"Alfie!"

Eri wanted to approach Alfie but his body started shivering. The light in his eyes went dim and flickered red. This is not normal! Eri gripped her fists tightly. She took a step closer to his body that was convulsing more violently than before. When she reached to touch his body, a wave of power struck her.

Sheng!

Eri bounced back from the strong collision, but Rei caught her just as she was about to crash into the wall.

"Eri!"

Rei lifted her by the shoulders. When he looked at her face, a small golden light flashed between her brows. It spun in a circle and morphed into the shape of a small flame.

Ding Ding!

[Skill Activation]

Inherited skill of light element, [Eyes Of Truth], is activated.

Eri creased her eyebrows when she saw the notification screen pop up. Light element? True eyes? No wait, did it just say 'inherited skill'? That must be referring to the inheritance of light Uryu mentioned the day before. Why? It must be that pearl!

She widened her eyes and looked at Rei. Did he know this?

Rei looked into her eyes and touched the mark between her eyebrows.

"Thank you, Rei."

Eri fell into thought after speaking. Why couldn't she touch Alfie just now? Moreover, why did this inherited skill activate all of a sudden?

She couldn't see what Alfie was fighting at all...No! She might be able to. She might just be able to see!

[Eyes Of Truth]!

Eri chanted and forced power into her eyes.

At that moment, her pupils shone gold and the dust in the air turned black at the speed of light.

"Ahh!!"

Eri waved at the air and backed away.

"Eri?"

Rei stepped closer to her.

Eri swung her arms in the air again and looked at Rei. The air is black? And Rei's body is shining?! Is this the [Eye Of Truth]?

She looked at Alfie's body. A black cloud was drilling into Alfie from his mouth, ears, and nostrils.

"What is this?! Rei! Do you see it?"

Eri pointed at Alfie's body.

"What are you referring to, my Eri?"

"That black air! It's in Alfie's body!"

"Don't touch it!"

Eri spun around at the sound of Uryu's voice. He was holding two branches in each hand and wearing a string of brown fruit cores on his neck. Eri frowned. What is he playing at now?

She looked anxiously at Alfie and back to Uryu. Wait, she remembers now! Didn't Uryu say it was dirty earlier? He knows, doesn't he? He knows what this is!

"Uryu! Please help me. What is this black air?"

He twisted his brows.

"Black air? Can you see it? Why did you come in if you can see the spirit of resentment?"

"Spirit of resentment?"

Eri turned back to check Alfie. If it's a spirit, then this is the so-called possession? Why did it possess Alfie but not them?

"You have to drive the spirit out."

Uryu spoke grumpily. He thrashed the dark branches in the air.

Eri's eyes widened.

Wherever the branches swayed, the clouds of dark air was blown away. There was a faint speckle of golden light covering Uryu's body. In a short while, the air around him cleared up.

14. Nom Nom Plume

Reading List:
    Link
    Ch. 2 Part 8

"You drove all the spirits away!"

Eri was amazed. Waving a few branches in the air could do this? She looked at Uryu curiously, but he returned with a scowl.

"Hmph, bumpkin."

He huffed and stuffed the branches into his storage bag. After rummaging for a while, he removed a long ceramic tube and shook it with one end facing the ground.

Shaah, shah, shah...

Pink grains of sand spilt onto the ground. He poured a circle of pink grains around Alfie and formed a large spiralling pattern.

"Himalayan salt?"

Eri was surprised.

"Ha? What himalay-humalay, this is peach salt!"

"Peach salt?!"

"...stupid bumpkin, peaches are for driving spirits away. Of course, this is peach salt!"

"Peaches..."

Eri was dumbfounded, but she continued watching silently. She knew that this must be Uryu's method of helping Alfie. He came out with a lot of strange things. Fruit cores, branches, and now pink sand...er peach salt. Are these all taken from a peach tree? Somehow, this seems to remind her of Asian folklore from her previous life.

When Uryu put the container of salt away, Eri spoke up.

"Is there any way I can help?"

Uryu turned to her and raised his brow.

"...I heard you were a compounder? Can you make holy water? If you can make him drink it, we can drive out the filth more easily. This sand array only serves to trap the spirit and to diminish its power."

"Ah? Holy water! This...I've never tried, but we can give it a go. Rei, can you come with me?"

"Of course, my Eri."

Rei smiled and got up from watching Alfie. The two of them left the log house and looked for a place for religious ceremonies in the village. They walked briskly and found identical log houses lining the unpaved streets. There was no sign of people or animals. After circling half of the village, they discovered a small stone altar in the village square. The village must have been poor, but the meticulous carvings of nature and forest creatures were surprisingly skilled. Like every other religious altar, there was no statue or object placed on it. This world believed in a God that cannot be seen by mortal eyes. This was why there was never a depiction of God. Any at all would be blasphemous.

Eri clasped her hands in front of the altar. She did not know much about the God in this world, even the orphanage didn't teach her much about it. But since she had to use this altar she should do so respectfully. Imitating the religious rituals she had seen before, she placed her right hand over her heart after speaking and knelt down.

"Forgive my disrespect, I am no priest nor prophet, but please lend me your altar."

She bent her head to the ground and made three bumps. The first from the flesh, the second from the soul, and the third from the spirit. That was the way those priests had done it.

When Eri got up again, she took out a glass jar of distilled water that she usually used for compounding and poured it out.

[Gather].

Using the method Rei taught her, she controlled the water in the air and levitated it over the stone altar. The sphere of water spun gently under the midday sun.

Er frowned. She's not a light element user, so she can't introduce the light elements into this water. According to what she's heard, living things or objects that were unclean can be sanctified on altars. But how?

She observed the detailed carvings carefully. There were all kinds of animals, rabbits, bears, lions...and they all stood in a line. Each species had a pair, and their eyes were hollowed out. In the middle of the altar was a simple line of words:

"Guide thine eyes to the light to baptise creatures of creation."

Eyes? Eri rubbed her chin. Guiding the eyes to the light? She narrowed her eyes and looked at the blazing sun in the sky.

That's it! The power of the sun! The sun is the symbol of both fire and light elements, perhaps she can borrow light elements from the sun?

She spun the sphere of water in the air and divided it into smaller spheres, but the water started trembling. This was starting to go beyond what she could manipulate.

"Rei! Please help me!"

When she guided the little water spheres into the empty eye sockets of the stone-engraved animals, Rei looked up in surprise and smiled. So this was what Eri figured out. Interesting.

He manoeuvred the water easily to the rest of the animals. There were twelve pairs in total and beads of sweat formed on Eri's forehead by the time she reached the fourth animal pair. She smiled at Rei with appreciation. He finished the rest, now they only have to wait for the sun's light to refract through those small water spheres.

gurgle...gurgle...

Slowly, the water beads in the eyes of the animal carvings reflected the light of the sun. Rei felt a familiar wave of power from the stone altar.

Sheng...

Spirit power? He gathered power in his eyes and saw a different scene than the one a moment ago. The eyes of twelve animal pairs glowed with a bright golden light and the light overflowed from their eyes and formed a circle around the stone altar.

"Eri, put another sphere of water on the altar."

"Ah, yes! Please take over the other water beads."

Eri let go of the control she had over water beads of the four animal pairs and took out another bottle of distilled water.

[Gather]!

When the ball of water formed on the altar, it shone bright yellow like an incandescent bulb.

Ding! Ding!

[Compounding Success!]
    Holy Water
    A Rank (Compounding level: 0 stars)
    Holy water can only be made on a divine altar or by light users. It has many uses from purifying cursed land to the exorcism of evil spirits. Use with caution, as it may be harmful to some creatures of the dark element.

"0 stars, but rank A?!"

Eri stared blankly at the notification screen. Wow? They did it!

----

Sorry guys for the slightly late upload (つ﹏⊂) it was hard to find inspiration to write this chapter. I hope it was still enjoyable, thank you for reading!!

15. Nom Nom Plume

Reading List:
    Link
    Ch. 2 Part 9

When the Holy water was completed, Eri guided the shining ball of water back into the empty bottle and rushed back to the log house.

... ...

Uryu laid a complex pattern with peach tree branches around the entire house while he waited for the two. Celestial foxes were mostly in the line of exorcism. Although he had only sprouted his third tail, he should be able to trap the spirit with the light reinforced wood barrier. He recently gained the wood element. This would be the perfect chance to practice it! In fact, with the aid of the wood element, it will make it even easier for him to guide the light elements into the branches and suppress the power of the spirit. However, if it was his first brother, things would be much simpler. The fox-fire cultivated from brother's sixth tail can directly burn spirits to ashes...

... ...

When Eri and Rei arrived, they saw dark branches piled around the log house.

"Uryu, you intend to burn down the house?"

She was shocked. They asked for him to save Alfie, not to kill him!

"Fool, this is an exorcism array! You bumpkins must be frogs under the well. Even priests need to build arrays to drive spirits, Hmph!"

Uryu may not be a true exorcist, but he has practised his fox spirit to the point of creating temporary illusions and short-term spirit possessions. With this method, he can possess Alfie's body for a short time and drive the spirit out. The spirit will then be met with the Holy Water barrier formed by Eri and Rei. And finally, the array built by the branches will obstruct the spirit from leaving and causing future chaos.

"Come in with me, you will witness the power of this fox lord!"

He patted his sleeves and got up from the circle of branches. When the three of them stood around Alfie inside the house, Uryu pushed his palms together.

[Grow]!

At that moment, a surge of power fluctuated from his body into the branches. The dark branches trembled and wound around each other, forming a wooden barricade around the log house. Uryu switched the position of his hands and formed a different hand sign.

[Purify]!

The wooden barricade shone brightly for a second. Uryu switched his hand sign again. This time he formed a triangle with his fingers and held it between his brows.

[Fox Spirit: Possession]!!

Whoosh!

With a flash, his golden eyes shone and his spirit entered Aflie from the eyes. When his spirit entered Alfie's body, he felt a heavy and dark sludge adhere to him. Filthy! Aghh! He locked onto the dark flame-like existence inside the space of Alfie's mind and whammed against it with a wave of his sleeves. Get out Filth! The flame flickered and back up to a corner. The shining being before it seared through its flame body. If it didn't leave, it would burn into nothing!

... ...

Eri watched the light in Uryu's eyes dim and observed Alfie's changes. His face was in more severe pain than before and he was grinding his teeth. The red light in his eyes flickered unstably.

"Gauuuuuu..."

This is the moment! She uncorked the bottle of Holy Water and gave Rei the signal. Together, they manoeuvred the water into a globe around Alfie's body. If this holy Water is in contact with the air too long, it could lose effectiveness. They finally waited for the right moment.

As Aflie's glowing red eyes went back to its original sky blue colour, the wind blew and an invisible existence bombarded the Holy Water barrier.

Whooooosh!

"No!"

Eri jumped forward to catch the spirit. She couldn't let it escape. They went through so many steps to capture it, they have to purify it! She concentrated water force at the point of impact to collide with the spirit.

Sheng!

They struck each other. Eri was pushed back a few steps. No way, it's not being suppressed by the Holy Water? She went forth again and reinforced the place where the spirit struck.

All of this happened in a split second, and when Rei could react, the spirit had already burst out of the barrier. If they were using spirit power at this moment, they would see a black flame fly like a gust of wind into Eri's forehead.

Whirrrr!

"Eri!!"

When Rei reached for her at that moment, the Holy Water shield had already broken apart.

Eri opened her eyes in shock. Before she knew it, her vision went dark.

... ...