Beginning vs Ending

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Sugaminny, Sep 1, 2018.

?

Which part of a story do you like the most?

1. Introduction/beginning

15 vote(s)
    25.9%
  2. conclusion/ending

7 vote(s)
    12.1%
  3. the middle part of a story

5 vote(s)
    8.6%
  4. i don't care / don't have a favorite

3 vote(s)
    5.2%
  5. depends on the story

28 vote(s)
    48.3%
  1. Sugaminny

Sugaminny Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I've always really liked the beginning and introduction chapters of stories, no difference between books, movies, series, online novels, manga, anime, ... Basically i enjoy the introduction of the characters and the themes and concepts of the story a lot. and a lot more that the actual story or the ending..
    I often even only read or watched the beginning of a book/movie and then stopped because i find endings generally uninteresting. I always as well often re-read my favorite books introduction chapters (only the start though, i rarely finish the re-reading) same with movies and anime and the like.

Well I've talked about this with a few people and it seemed like many people like endings the most? Or they don't really care.
    So i wanna know what my novel-reading community thinks about this?
    Beginning or ending?

Bad Storm and juniorjawz like this.
  2. Matthew9999

Matthew9999 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I personally like the ending of novels simply because that means the translation is done or the book is finished. I have so many novels where I read to the current translation then stop and never pick it up again because ive lost the plot once i come back to it.

Ophious, Bad Storm and Sugaminny like this.
  3. Greater thunder

Greater thunder Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Endings are too easy to fuck up.

Look at I Shall Seal The Heavens or World of Cultivation starting off good and exceptionally only to disappoint with their final chaps.

4. lygarx

lygarx Lazy Translator

Reading List:
    Link
    Lets take Arifureta for example, I liked it when he supposedly died and whenever he had a reunion with people that thought he was dead.
    Gun-ota, I liked it whenever the protagonist suffered either in death or captured into slavery because his treacherous ass deserves it for abandoning his friend.
    it really depends.
    In Tate no Yuusha, the best parts are at the end of certain arcs where he takes revenge on the bitch.

Ophious and Sugaminny like this.
  5. fuzor100

fuzor100 Standby mode...

Reading List:
    Link
    The middle part. Slow beginning is a hassled and rush ending just ruined it.

6. Varno

Varno True Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I am the opposite. I do like the start, but I feel that they are all repetive and alike. Its the first person soliloquy of the kind, or of a jaded person yet to be redeemed, or something else that I know of more then the author that will make me drop it.

I also hate when they delve into relationship too early, or stay there too long (unless that's what the story is about, though I wouldn't read it in the first place). Especially if it's the goal.

Basically, what I hate is things that I've seen and understood coming early in the novel.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2018
    Sugaminny likes this.
  7. ludagad

ludagad Addicted to escapist novels

Reading List:
    Link
    I know this is not really an answer, but it depends on the author. Some are really good a hooking the reader, so the beginning is stellar, but the middle can get a bit chaotic and the ending can be disappointing (like most webnovels over 500 chapters long). Other authors write a really slow intro, but things pick up gradually till you're at the end of your seat near the end and when the novel ends, you're still thinking about this novel and want more (like Terry Pratchett's books, I always get into them so slowly, but then I can't put them down).

Sugaminny likes this.
  8. zhainan2157

zhainan2157 『Villager No.2157』『Kawaii Connoisseur』

Reading List:
    Link
    I usually enjoys stories until the middle to end part where sometimes the story either gets out of hand or repetitive.

Sugaminny likes this.
  9. juniorjawz

juniorjawz Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Starting is usually the same, and I enjoy the build up to the middle portion. It's what makes similar novels different.

10. Bad Storm

Bad Storm no thought, head empty

Reading List:
    Link
    Hmm...
    *warns you about Overgeared's beginning*

So that's that. Personally, things I like depends on the story. Some really has good introductions as you said while some shines as the story progressed (because of story and character development like the aforementioned Overgeared) and there are some that wraps up nicely like Sovereign of Judgement (kinda rare huhu). Oh yeah, there are these rare few that is quite good from start to finish which just makes us readers happy hahaha. Anyway, each story has its own quirks and I like discovering those.

Sugaminny likes this.
  11. unkxz

unkxz Lurker

Reading List:
    Link
    most of the time if the introduction/beginning suck really bad I wouldn't be reading it in the first place.

12. Yolo Swag

Yolo Swag Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    the part i'm most interested is the middle/ right after the started setting. if the story already derail its premise, and its plain uninteresting, i just take my leave. no need for ending. :D
    edit: also, its usually in the middle that the bait-switch happens, and the story shows what it really is about.

13. RayPeest

RayPeest Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    What interests me the most are always the middle sections like an arc or two after the intro and before the ending since that is where the story really picks up the pace. Like the intro arc is mostly just exposition of setting and characters, while endings are usually just wrap everything up and make sure there are no loose ends. The middle portion is where you really get the suspenseful moments, foreshadowing, and character development, thus making it my favorite part.

Sugaminny and Bad Storm like this.
  14. Varno

Varno True Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Cursing in the first couple sentences. Just droppd Star Child in chapter one.

15. PumpkinzZ

PumpkinzZ Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Ending, for sure. I like endings because it is justifiably a drama. Besides I don't like overstaying my welcome and wait for a development for a baby chick to turn mature and likable.

Sugaminny likes this.
  16. Sugaminny

Sugaminny Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Now i'm interested haha

17. Bad Storm

Bad Storm no thought, head empty

Reading List:
    Link
    The beginning is seriously bad...
    Read at your own risk hahaha

Sugaminny likes this.
  18. Greater thunder

Greater thunder Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The best novels to me are those leaving you wanting more even when you know everything ended and showing too much would have ruined it.

My Disciple Died Yet Again left me like that.

19. Finalbeta

Finalbeta Science Nerd

Reading List:
    Link
    A great ending is more important to me but why not both hehe.