Discussion Things that immediately turn you off or make you stop reading

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by UncleTerri, Sep 1, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vincent1873

Vincent1873 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    1. Indecisive pushover MC. If you express your desire to do something then you had better not be completely ignored by people with no authority over you whatever. If you say you don't want to hang around with this girl then don't let her follow you around. Don't want to join this guild? Don't join.

2. Psychopathic MC. No, you can't knock someone's teeth out because they questioned your behavior.

3. When a MC is sanctimonious but isn't a boy scout like Captain America. If you're going to be sanctimonious then you have to be squeaky clean. No, you can't murder people for insulting your mother. If you're reasonable 99% of the time and then viciously beat someone up who doesn't deserve it then you're not reasonable. Also if you're the nice guy that doesn't kill you also shouldn't be manipulating children in a douchey manner.

4. If the premise of a story doesn't make sense within the story itself. Like a remember a story where the MC was the only healer in a VR world because no other player wanted to be a healer. However, I dropped it soon after realizing the there was nothing stopping NPCs from being healers and that NPC healers should be all over the place. Players should have been forcing them to be their personal healers.

5. A douchey author. If they don't like my criticism of their story and so block me from commenting on it then I'll probably drop it.

6. Awful dialogue. There are some stories with just completely terrible dialogue between characters. The characters don't sound like actual people talking to each other. This is one of the reasons that a story is readable when the character is traveling alone but turns to trash almost immediately once they join up with another character or two.

7. Yanderes. I don't like psychopathic MCs and they'll probably do something like that if they're a yandere or have such tendencies. I also don't like pushover MCs and they'll probably end up like that if a yandere is a love interest. I'd like to read a story where the MC killed a yandere love interest because she did something crazy and pissed him off. That might be interesting. Closest thing I can think of is a fanfic when Cersei sent an assassin after Jaime's new kid.

As for things like rape, mind control, or ntr I would only drop a story if I didn't like how it was handled in that story. If I like a story I'm not going to drop it because of those alone. I love Berserk and rape and ntr were in it.

Elkon likes this.
  2. SoulZer0

SoulZer0 Heaven Refining

Reading List:
    Link
    Am I the only one who stops reading a novel without any reason.

Bad Storm and Kuro_0ni like this.
  3. UncleTerri

UncleTerri Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah ur spot I still read berserk even though there’s a huge ntr moment.

4. Teri

Teri Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The sudden POV change, it's really bad

5. Spnagi

Spnagi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I stop reading when the story is boring, and the Mc or Fc became annoying. I also when the story became the peace is too long.

6. bbctheory84

bbctheory84 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I drop story when mc is a masochist in that he saves someone who betrays him over and over and over. Yet mc continues to forgive that person.

Elkon likes this.
  7. MarxDarkBear

MarxDarkBear The Great Man

Reading List:
    Link
    FKNG THIS!!!!!

Elkon, GabeZhul, Ddraig and 2 others like this.
  8. ZeroBlink

ZeroBlink Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Good and Lawful Mcs , I like Mcs rotten to the core.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2018
  9. readerz

readerz Madam Jin

Reading List:
    Link
    When I get the news that the ending is crap or if the author discontinued it. Instant dropped!

Elkon and bbctheory84 like this.
  10. Nom Nom Plume

Nom Nom Plume Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    1. When the MC is painfully powerless against his/her enemies and they get trampled tragically. Or, when the MC loses too much. All his/her family and friends die and they are chased by their enemies to death. (and this drags on for more than a lifetime)
    I don't want to read about how poor the MC is...forever:blob_coughblood: although I know they will be happy at the (very) end. But it takes too long!

2. When the author doesn't give readers a rest. Every chapter is tension-filled and one crisis follows another in an unending cycle.
    The readers need a break too...I'm not reading to feel tortured :blob_coughblood:

3. When the MC is a cheat existence for no reason. The author doesn't even describe how each cheat is gained, or how the MC worked his/her way into getting the cheat. It feels makes the MC pointlessly powerful. Who cares if everyone is as weak as ants? We already know...It doesn't seem like the MC will grow at all :blob_coughblood: it feels like the story ended before it even began...

4. When a plot pattern within the story repeats itself.
    I read it already :blob_coughblood: what's new?

5. When characters make pointless misunderstandings. The irony is too hard to bear.
    it's too obvious and too painful to read on. Clearly, they can end their sufferings if they would pause and ask a question, and clear up the misunderstanding. Persistent misunderstandings are not fun if they are not meant to be funny :blob_coughblood:

6. One dimensional characters. I was expecting novelty and surprises :blob_coughblood:

:blobcheeky:ahahahaha nice thread!

Comerjin likes this.
  11. noriga

noriga Smile ..

Reading List:
    Link
    When the novel so ugly like yo face

12. wargreymon

wargreymon Active Member

Reading List:
    Link

I find it funny so many people hate ntr in a novel but have no problem with novels that have characters destroying a whole village/city/country. sjw everywhere.

13. zh0lvin

zh0lvin Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Am I the only one who stop reading when the cliffhanger is too strong and start again when 100-300 more chapters have been translated ?
    Sometimes, I even wait for the end of the novel to avoid all cliffhangers risk :ROFLMAO:
    Back in the day, my soul suffered serious injuries because of repetitive cliffhangers attack when I was reading ISSTH :sweating_profusely::sweating_profusely::sweating_profusely: You can't end chapters with enormous cliffhangers ! This is immoral :blobdizzy::blobdizzy::blobdizzy::blobdizzy::blobdizzy:

14. Mystic.reader

Mystic.reader Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Three tags I stay as far away as possible
    1- NTR
    2- Yaoi
    3- Genderbender

Apart from this those japanese harem mcs that everyone is talking about i usually avoid.

15. GabeZhul

GabeZhul Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    In no particular order:
    -NTR. This is a fetish I don't have, therefore I avoid it.
    -BL and Yaoi: This is a sexual orientation I don't have, therefore I avoid it.
    -Really bad translation. Because it's not my job to decipher what an MTL vomited out, even if the "translator" tried to put a pretty bow on it and pretend it's nice.

Other than that, I am fairly tolerant. I hate asshole, hypocrite and psychopathic xianxia MCs, but if I am invested in them already, I can overlook these flaws as just that, flaws that are part of the character. I also don't like harems, but it has more to do with over-saturation and authors copy-pasting character-archetypes left and right than the genre itself. I also don't like overt politicizing, be it nationalism, social justice or anti-SJW rhetoric, but so long as these don't dominate the work, I can skip a few paragraphs and ignore them.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2018
  16. J4n1

J4n1 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    1. Stupid not funny mc (idiocy can be entertaining, but usually it is not).
    2. Overused plot armor (some plot armor is almost impossible to avoid, but characters should suffer for their stupidity).
    3. Excessive cultural centrism (not everyone loves rise, katana's are not special).
    4. Idiot plot (as in, the plot requires every involved to be an idiot to not unravel).

Elkon likes this.
  17. Kuro_0ni

Kuro_0ni Cocooned in a Life transition

Reading List:
    Link
    No you are not alone. I've done this too.

Sometimes I read a novel all the way to the most recent update. And there have been times where I didn't even read it anymore.

18. Nimroth

Nimroth Someone

Reading List:
    Link
    Happens to me a lot as well if you put it in a different way.
    Rather than dropping for no reason it is more lacking a reason to really continue reading.

Elkon and Kuro_0ni like this.
  19. Jetskull

Jetskull New Member

Reading List:
    Link
    1.Ecchi.
    2.idiot protagonist.
    3.that the protagonist led someone live when he kown that the person will seek revenge.
    4.That the female lead.
    5.The mc is stupid when there is a woman.
    6.Romance ilogic.
    7.mc does not kill someone because she is a woman.
    8.the cliches in japanese novel.
    Because of the cliches in japanese novel i have only been able to read 3 japanese novel Overlord,sevens(with effort because i don't like harem)tales of leo attiel.
    Sorry for my english.

20. bbctheory84

bbctheory84 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah that stuff is seriously annoying. I hate how these JP mcs r all the same. THey lack any personality. All white knight NEET cucks

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.