Starting writing

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Arcdual, Sep 9, 2018.

1. Arcdual

Arcdual Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    So I've been thinking of starting a book, writing for the first time (not counting poetry).
    Where do you guys usually write, in word? or somewhere else. And I'd love it if you had some tips for a beginner.

bbctheory84 likes this.
  2. Digix

Digix Owl-sama Follower

Reading List:
    Link
    I write in word usually, seek peer review be up for criticism and be ready for rewrites, post it even if it is not perfect you can go back and make changes later always take criticism either good or bad as constructive and look at it positively even if its "lolz go kill yourselveszzz you failureszzz HURR HUR youll never succecessful you suck your characters are trash" cause you can get a good laugh. Enjoy the experience keep it fun.

3. lnv

lnv ✪ Well-Known Hypocrite

Reading List:
    Link
    I write in LibreOffice + LanguageTool grammar check.

Some tips would be to:
    1) Map out the general story to the end. It doesn't have to fill in all the details, just general outline and major events.
    2) Make sure you have an organized notes file, preferably spreadsheet. And be sure it is well organized or you'll be searching for things here and there.
    3) Make the MC based on the plot, not the plot based on the MC. (So you don't have to force your MC into plot events)
    4) Writing isn't the hard part, editing, revisions and consistency is the hard part.
    5) If you get stuck, just continue writing blah blah blah, you can edit it later when it comes to mind. Since you'll be rewriting multiple times anyways, there is no reason to worry about it coming out wrong the last time.
    6) Most important is developing a habit of writing, because once you stop, getting back in is hard.

4. Cosmic_

Cosmic_ [Novel Addict] [Lazy Writer] [Meh Editor]

Reading List:
    Link
    I just use Google Docs. You can post original works in NUF’s Community Fiction thread section or on RoyalRoad

AkeShiro likes this.
  5. AkeShiro

AkeShiro Blanket Master

Reading List:
    Link
    I think the most important thing is point 6. Laziness is evil and as strong as demon lord. Lel. :blobjoy:

Bangobombz likes this.
  6. Beachymumu

Beachymumu Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Start with something manageable. Have a clear beginning, and a clear end, and if you can, start with something small. As you write more, you'll develop your own style and grow more as a writer. You can always come back afterwards and revise your writing.
    Google docs is great cause of auto-saving, but word looks a bit better in my opinion, and is a lot more professional.

Poor_Hero and fteg123 like this.
  7. Glib

Glib Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I write in memos because inspiration bursts out of nowhere. Then i transfer them to Google Docs. After the story/chapter has been done, i edit-rewrite-revise cycle (most especially grammar-english isn't my main language). Then i try to approach peers (online-offline) to get harsh critiques and reviews and be depressed. become a philosophical person for a span of weeks or months. Write poems. Then go back to writing fiction again.

Poor_Hero, strayCat0 and fteg123 like this.
  8. Arcdual

Reading List:
    Link
    Ok thanks a lot everyone, all of your advice helped in some way, it kinda shaped my plans.
    And I guess one thing I won't have to worry about much is the grammar. Though I can already see what problems might come up. But I'll just start and then work on it.
    Thanks Again. (y);)

9. xluferx

xluferx [The writer who writes for fun][Meme lord]

Reading List:
    Link
    Just write if it is trash don't worry all of us have to start from somewhere u know?

10. insania

insania Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I use either Microsoft Word and LibreOffice to write. I have to admit that being lazy and unmotivated to write are the greatest problems in trying to write a story though.

mir and fteg123 like this.
  11. fteg123

fteg123 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Make a deadline and be committed to it. Let's say one week from now. Write a draft it doesn't have to be perfect, but it needs to be finished. (Assuming you are writing a fictional short story). [3-15 pages, 900-4500 words] Then, post your draft on here or some other platform. Let people read and criticize your work. Don't just read the good criticism.

Make them list 3-5 (can change or underline/color ...) things that they find they like and/or hate. The things they like/stand out you can keep in your writing. The things they hate change to make it better. (Grammar, you don't need to worry about, that's when you want to finalize your work after many editing (draft to manuscript)). Then, use their criticism to edit your work - another deadline, another week. Keep doing this until you feel ready. Or, make another deadline.

Read a lot of books. Or books that can help you with your writing. (EX. Wonderbook by Vandermeer)

Take a writing class. (If you are lazy or don't know how to start, then a writing class might be helpful.)

Do writing exercises. (Give yourself some questions. Write for 5-10 minutes without stopping. If you can't think of anything, then write "I don't know what to write. I don't know what to write..." until you find something to write). Momentum is more important than a blank sheet.

Get advice from pros. Write with whatever you feel comfortable with.

Tips: When you read a novel read as a writer. That means how were they able to execute that part you like and how can you rip that off in a good/better way?

Find a short story or any story you like. Then, write what you like about it. After that make up some questions and have discussions with others by imposing these questions.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2018
  12. jinxs2011

jinxs2011 [Rebel Against Normality][Writer of the Unusual]

Reading List:
    Link
    I use word, tried using docs but the internal dictionary thing is far inferior to that of word. I recommend that you plan out the story beforehand, and probably keep some sort of list of descriptions of unique terms you put in. Make sure you're consistent - people don't like it when you aren't. As for grammar, don't be so sure - there are some traps that most new writers fall into. Basically, make sure you keep the same tense all the time (unless doing a flashback or something), and keep the person (1st person, 3rd person) consistent as well. Make sure that it's obvious to the reader at all times which perspective it's from. Try to avoid starting sentences with the same word/words too often.

Jellyfish 00 and fteg123 like this.
  13. oblueknighto

oblueknighto Blue Person

Reading List:
    Link
    Good luck

fteg123 likes this.
  14. Aternus

Aternus Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Word is the worst place in world to write.
    Google doc is perfect. It copy and pastes well and obviously makes proofreading 10x easier when u have help.
    Scrivener is good too, great ebook formatting tool too.

Write daily, even if its just 100 words.
    Posting it anywhere is also a great motivator to actually stick with a story.

15. Ai chan

Ai chan Queen of Yuri, Devourer of Traps, Thrusted Witch

Reading List:
    Link
    Ai-chan use writeway. It has almost everything scrivener has. The only thing it doesn't have that scrivener has is cloud sharing. It's a professional writing software that is now free.

http://www.writewaypro.com/

What's better than pirating a good software? Using a free software that you get legitimately that is just as good.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2018
  16. replay

replay ★Milk and Honey smelling Merchant★

Reading List:
    Link
    or~
    you can just write in NuF. . . .

and receive the love of all the readers. . . . .
    together with their grindstones. . .
    and pitch forks. . .

17. Goatse

Goatse Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Unironically in notepad. Something about the lack of options, flashy buttons, and things to fiddle around with helps me just write straight and put my thoughts clearly into proper words. I'm too used to writing reports or assignments in microsoft word so I have an aversion to creative/introspective writing on it.

mir likes this.
  18. Bangobombz

Bangobombz Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It kinda helps if you not only write for the people you want to share your story to but yourself as well! Hope you bring much laughter and facesmaking into the world and the hearts of your readers :)

19. Arcdual

Reading List:
    Link
    Thanks again :)

20. Ai chan

Ai chan Queen of Yuri, Devourer of Traps, Thrusted Witch

Reading List:
    Link
    Ai-chan also write in notepad. There are times when inspiration comes in bursts and word or other writing software takes time to load and those words need to be written fast before Ai-chan forgets. In this case, notepad is my go-to choice.

However, if Ai-chan doesn't have inspiration but needs to write anyway, Ai-chan uses focuswriter. It's a distraction-free writing software that has only a background and writing space. The rest are hidden away. You can just type and type and type until you forget the time. With the option to turn on the typewriting sound (a feature that was lost when we stopped using typewriters), you can also have the hypnotic sound of typewriters accompany you with each key pressed. Before you know it, it soon becomes a rythm that keeps you going.
    [​IMG]

Goatse and mir like this.