Discussion So... About Article 13 and 11.

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by NZPIEFACE, Sep 13, 2018.

Tags:
  1. NZPIEFACE

NZPIEFACE Leecher

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah, does anyone know what the new things that the EU voted for will affect us?

iirc, article 13 was Youtube bullshit but everywhere, and 11 was something like that sites have to pay the other site when linking to it.

Edit: clarification by westeller

Last edited: Sep 13, 2018
  2. Fossil

Fossil 「Spooky」「Scary」「Skeleton」

Reading List:
    Link
    Wait, you have to pay a site to give them otherwise free publicity?

SenjiQ likes this.
  3. Kerbouchard

Kerbouchard Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    One of the biggest problems with the articles is that they're so vaguely-worded that they can be applied to a LOT of places. Even if advocates say that they won't affect this place or that place now, that's not to say they won't in the future. Of course, at this point, the articles should only affect people in the EU itself, but that may not last.

Basically, the articles are bureaucratic power-grabs, and bureaucrats never willingly reduce their own power and authority--only increase it.

4. Westeller

Westeller Smokin' Sexy Style!! Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Article 13 requires content to be scanned for copyright violations before it's uploaded. E.g. Youtube would have to check video uploads for copyright violations before displaying them. It's hard to say how it'd affect things. For one, content scanning will just be something people bypass en masse. Two, the internet at large does not belong to the EU and they can't really enforce laws like this on foreign web servers. You can't tell web platform xxx that it has to scan user uploads because web platform xxx is hosted on a server in Hong Kong and happens to be run by a guy that doesn't even know how to pronounce "article 13."

Article 11 is some kind of pay-me-before-summarizing-my-content-and-redistributing-it thing that seems heavily focused on news aggregators. I don't really know how it'll affect the larger internet or how it's supposed to work. Suffice to say NU is an aggregator and yet it wouldn't have anything to do with it as far as I can tell.

Ai chan, Crywolf641, Cite and 8 others like this.
  5. Drake98

Drake98 Concerned Fan

Reading List:
    Link
    I only had known that EU is recently from 2000s? I thought it was from long long ago!

6. NZPIEFACE

NZPIEFACE Leecher

Reading List:
    Link
    Thanks for clarifying this.

7. juniorjawz

juniorjawz Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Just pray it doesn't be used wrongly cause it looks quite exploitable by certain organizations.

8. Kerbouchard

Reading List:
    Link
    It's been around for decades now, in form if not officially. It's been official since the 1990s, and it's become more noticeable recently as it slowly consolidates power over its member states.

9. Sircus

Sircus [Well-Known God]

Reading List:
    Link
    It´s more like all the newspapers (together) are loosing billions of dollars. But the gov is willing to say fuck you newspapers, what they however are not willing to do is loosing billions of taxmoney that google doesnt share with them. The regulations striking the american mega it corps is all due to Europé not having their own. We allowed them compared to say China that took the long view and wanted their own it industriy and banned the american mega corps.

It hard to say what the end result of it will be however I suspect we will see multiple buy ups of newspapers (they are really cheap atm) in the coming years and a new media giant is on the rise. They will become the internet place where we will get all our news.

American newspapers will for sure lobby the same laws in the US now when there is a precedent. I wonder if Warren Buffet will buy Washington post again...

Last edited: Sep 13, 2018
  10. Cupcake Ninja

Cupcake Ninja [Kind Sage][Lord Benevolence][ The Great Paragon]

Reading List:
    Link
    so...basically a futile attempt? Sure it may affect some stuff but these dont sound too bad a anyway, i dont see many real downsides.

11. LtBeefy

LtBeefy Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Well if you operate on the EU sorry for you guys. For once safe in the USA.

And well it hasn't truly passed yet. Heard if you guys in EU make enough noise it can still be stopped. And even if it does pass it wont go into effect till 2021 so you can vote new peeps in to repeal it before

12. Kerbouchard

Reading List:
    Link
    One big problem with the EU is that most of its decision-makers aren't elected, so there's little recourse if the citizens don't like its decisions.

Guyver likes this.
  13. juniorjawz

juniorjawz Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm surprised and happy no one is here to break the serious mood and make memes. :blobparty:

I expected one by now considering it is NUF.

My Ajit Pai memes are tingling

14. Kerbouchard

Reading List:
    Link
    Memes are, in fact, one of the things people are afraid will be badly affected by the articles, as just about anything you use to make one is likely copyrighted somewhere or other unless you drew it yourself, and these articles encourage a crackdown on that.

15. LtBeefy

LtBeefy Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I'll take your word for it. Truly dont know much about EU. Tho I do hope it wont truly come to past. As it does set a precedent by a major political body in the world and may then give support in other countries for similar legislation

16. LaDyViL

LaDyViL New Member Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    This, doesn't it affect the summarised spoilers in NUF's spoiler threads?

17. Eruxol

Eruxol Du-sollst――Dies irae

Reading List:
    Link
    Brexit was a good thing then.

A s h e s likes this.
  18. LaDyViL

LaDyViL New Member Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    :hmm: Who are you and where have you hidden that pieface??

19. SoulZer0

SoulZer0 Heaven Refining

Reading List:
    Link
    These government officials are all big corporates shills.

20. canaria23

canaria23 『  』

Reading List:
    Link
    Next it'll turn to AEU, then the World Economic Union will form, and with the suppression the Human Reform league emerges.