FL becoming a cannon fodder? Really?

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by cap.toon, Sep 17, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cap.toon

cap.toon Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Something came to my attention.

MC transmigrated to become a canon fodder?

MC unfolds Protagonist’s true face?

MC somehow earn the attention of ML while ML is still strongly in love with protagonists?

Something is wrong. It is common in Chinese novels for cannon fodder to be plain and unreasonably evil, stupid, one dimensional character, and/or their skills or whatever they do they cannot match the protagonist. But here, we see our FL taking over a villain character and suddenly the protagonist is but just a name while our FL, whether intentional or not, slowly gain the favor n attention of the ML.

The Protagonists who is supposed to be the best of the best suddenly become the worst of the worst scumbags; or least appear like a dirty rat trying to act like a white rabbit.

So in my thinking, the role was never reverse, the label or name tag just change. Instead of having the MC coming in as protagonist, the MC came under a new title, cannon fodder. We’re not doing justice for the real cannon fodder.

Hmmm...but if our FL comes taking over the valiant character and take ML away from protagonist—what does that say? ML doesn’t know his own taste? ML is a playboy? Or is it that ML circle of network didn’t have such a good girl as our FL, even way above protagonist?

I think the writer n some readers r obsessed with the idea of coming into the picture and coming out as the top; beating who use to be the top, in this case the protagonist. Because in my understanding, if ML truly love protagonist, even if FL is much more calmer and thoughtful that wouldn’t beat protagonist out of the picture.

Rumby, Fuyuneko, theilikepie and 4 others like this.
  2. elengee

elengee Daoist Ninefaps

Reading List:
    Link
    TLDR. All women are cannon fodder. Also, sandwiches.

3. Xilphidae

Xilphidae ⚔Swordfish⚔

Reading List:
    Link
    it's a CN transmigration novel, you really expected a good, actual romance????

GabeZhul and Jarrow like this.
  4. chamchaworld

chamchaworld Lazy Chibi

Reading List:
    Link
    Now I really want to read a story about a cannon fodder that just want to stop her death and stay at sidelines, maybe as NPC or protagonist sidekick.

5. Jarrow

Jarrow Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    You're discussing chinese romance novels. If you live in china, YMMV. If you live anywhere else in the frickin' world, for goodness sake, do not accept anything you read as 'logic'. It's all psychotic power struggles, and that's never healthy for anyone.
    PS: stay out of love polyhedrons at all costs, they're only entertaining to read about, not experience. If your dream mate already has a partner, just keep looking. Don't be that jackass.

6. cap.toon

Reading List:
    Link
    Don’t use those books to determine if true love is real or not. I would like to see some realitistic scenes of FL taking over vallain body; and thus taking on all the bad n good of the vallain and the so call companions. N of course, fighting and scheming to not die or avoid being beaten up by the protagonist.

7. autumnscarf

autumnscarf Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    What's a sandwich? Is this another word for love triangle?

cap.toon likes this.
  8. cap.toon

Reading List:
    Link
    Maybe a lead who avoids death, cut ties with the past, and move on to find someone who truly love them.

I’m imaging FL taking over a vallain boss who is supposed to be head and heel over Ml, but to avoid certain situation, one day declare she would rather act out love with the ML’s friend/henchmen currently in her prison cell. Haha. Instead of chasing Ml, FL put in a show of chasing ML’s henchmen. Haha. It would be a comedy where henchmen doesn’t understand what is so good about himself and dreading his lack of skill to run away. Ha- it would be funny. I just lack the skill to write t.

orematcha, Fuyuneko and chamchaworld like this.
  9. cap.toon

Reading List:
    Link
    I assume it is a harem.

autumnscarf likes this.
  10. Stephanie1399

Stephanie1399 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Then you should read Doomed to be Cannon Fodder, it's a completed story and I've read about half so far, it's really interesting

Happy guy likes this.
  11. theilikepie

theilikepie Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Yea it is weird. It implies in the original novel the Male lead was true luv with the fem mc. But then when tranasmigrstin happens hes actually tru luv with cannon fodder mc. This is also a problem with villainess reincarnation stories where the protagonist turns out to be bad somehow? Imagine Cinderella and someone transmigrated into the evil stepsister who turned out to be good and its revealed that Cinderella was a two faced witch who had put the prince under her spell. And the evil stpesiters were just misunderstood

Love is ded in there novels. The Male lead usally falls for the mc becuase "shes not like da other grrrls"

How shallow do you have to be to belive that every woman is the same

12. Sarsanilla

Sarsanilla Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Y'know, I want a novel where our cannon fodder protag stays cannon fodder/becomes a bigger villlain without getting a love interest

cap.toon likes this.
  13. elengee

elengee Daoist Ninefaps

Reading List:
    Link
    When you have two sandwiches and you can't decide which to eat it's a love triangle.
    When you have lots of sandwiches with no depth of flavour, it's a harem.

King0Mik, cap.toon and autumnscarf like this.
  14. mellester

mellester Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Well your in luck there is a kind of satire story which crtitize theses cliche's a bid called.
    https://www.novelupdates.com/series/side-character-transmigrations-the-final-boss-is-no-joke/
    where our FL hoobs between storry settings and has to do ridelcuos things like for example.

Happy guy likes this.
  15. autumnscarf

autumnscarf Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Most of the 'transmigrated into a villainess' body' stories are crappy wish fulfillment stories with 1d characters all around, designed for the new FL to be loved by everyone. Chinese ones tend to involve assassins, master engineers and/or medical geniuses stuck in the body of someone "ugly" and "useless" to cultivate into a superhero, or a normalish person stuck in someone whose fate is to join the struggle for the throne and die horribly. Japanese ones involve transmigrating and deciding not to piss off the members of the the FL's harem.

IDK if it's just that the good novels tend to be more difficult to translate so you don't see a lot of actually good novels in this genre, or if people really do enjoy reading 50 variations of the same story at very low quality.

There are definitely good/enjoyable novels in this genre, but they are buried amongst a lot of crap and are more likely to be parodies or deconstructions of the genre.

On the matter of MLs being easily seduced, this only matters if you have some idea of people having a destined love story. In real life there are no OTPs, there are just two (or more) people trying to make a life together. An ML in an ancient setting falling for someone with a modern education and sensibilities over someone sheltered and raised to be a vase generally makes sense.

King0Mik and cap.toon like this.
  16. chamchaworld

chamchaworld Lazy Chibi

Reading List:
    Link
    I read a webtoon about a girl who become a queen but suddenly there's this girl that transmigrated to her world and the king fall in love with her. The story is from discarded queen pov, so it's kinda tragic and sad.

17. SoulZer0

SoulZer0 Heaven Refining

Reading List:
    Link
  18. Fuyuneko

Fuyuneko winter cat

Reading List:
    Link
    The Dreamer in the Spring Boudoir meets these requirements. Even though transmigrated!MC changes for the better, she has to live with the consequences of the original!villainess's past actions. Some of the things done by the original!villainess are unforgivable and the other characters are justified in continuing to hate her and distrust her. Plus, the original!protagonists has a very strong white lotus halo.

King0Mik likes this.
  19. cap.toon

Reading List:
    Link
    I initially thought that but then as the story progresses, I’m not so sure anymore.

That one is where the protagonist gets turn into the worst of the worst scumbags. While Fl has the advantage of transmigrating before the vallain character actually had done any schemes.

That would be a very sad world. But she could get so strong she becomes a Casanova taking lover left n right regardless if they are willing or not.

But the fact is, Fl transmigrates into a novel. Not some predicted past. That possibility would work if FL goes into an unknown world, and ML destined wife is predicted by sage or something—then I get it. But to go into a novel that has been pre-written and have the ML fall for the person who doesn’t belong there—hard to see that a possibility.

Also, ancient people probably won’t like us modern people. They would call us “loose” in the way we dress and our behaviors. The modern men would be husband product but probably end up with many concubines, if they can even afford it, for their lack of mannerism between men and women—or if they are some poor man, they’ll be cane to death. The modern women would not be wife product at all; for their lack of the four arts in ancient China or in general mannerism between men and women.

I don’t think our translators are stupid or enjoy each 50 versions of the same topic. There r perhaps a lack of good novels in this grene in the Chinese market. But somehow, like seriously somehow of a miracle, the best books, high quality, have been BL novels. And the most mind killing, low quality have been heterosexual. Sigh.

I think The fact that the writers write only characters with background in medical, military, and someone of expertise is that they actually have ideas of what to do with the characters without actually heavily relieveing on research or knowledge of the past or that new world; powering up without struggle and truly they do not understand the human nature and society of that time.

Fuyuneko likes this.
  20. Gandire Alea

Gandire Alea [Wicked Awesome Translator]

Reading List:
    Link
    When I first read the title, I thought you were talking about how Florida keeps getting hit by hurricanes.

King0Mik and cap.toon like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.