Spoiler The New Gate

Discussion in 'Novel Discussion' started by LegionUnderground, Sep 17, 2018.

Tags:
  1. LegionUnderground

LegionUnderground Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Hey,

Recently I was recommended to read the novel “The New Gate” since I am looking for Harem-Romance Novels that aren’t sad. I’ve finished the first two novels now and I’m reading the third at the moment, there I was a bit concerned about some things. He really wants to go back to his world and doesn’t change his mind, even when he learned how hard Schnee will be hurt if he leave her behind again. Also there isn’t any “progress” in direction of a (harem-) romance, ofc there are many females but there aren’t any feeling to them (I really hope for some development after Schnee was so indirectly progressive at the beginning.

So I wonder if anyone has read more chapters (maybe even the untranslated chapters) and could tell me if there is some development in the romance and if he still planning to go back home while leaving everyone else behind?

Already thanks in advance =D

2. TheAsianHacker

TheAsianHacker Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    There are cute moments but the romance goes a little slow. Things get somewhat complicated with Tiera any new waifu characters are introduced but in general he likes Schnee. Even now it isn't too clear whether he will go back or not. We get to see his backstory later in the story but I think right now Shin is along the lines of "When I find a way out of the game. Whether I leave depends on my emotions." He also has his promise to go back so it's unclear.

3. Jarrow

Jarrow Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah, that inconsistency (and others) is what lead me to moving that novel to my 'whenever' folder. For a determinator protagonist, he's far too wishywashy.

4. Saint174

Saint174 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 17, 2018
    RedsBlue, Kleep, Anon2.0 and 3 others like this.
  5. Tali

Tali Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I am currently caught up with the translator and I'll give my opinion quickly

I don't think Mc will leave. Author has set up the possibility of Marinos return so if she comes back, why would he go back to his world. And if MC decides to back, I think he would take Schnee and the rest with him. I don't believe the Author would just throw the harem out. So in my opinion the harem stays with Marino or without her. Or well the Author can surprise us but a lot of people will be really mad.
    Don't take my opinion too seriously since I'm not an expert.

Edit: Well Saint174 proved my point wrong i guess.

LegionUnderground likes this.
  6. TheAsianHacker

TheAsianHacker Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 17, 2018
    LegionUnderground and Tali like this.
  7. Crywolf641

Crywolf641 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    You can't expect him to fall in love with schnee that easily since he is the type to fulfill his promise.
    Love in the novel comes slow as shin would slowly fall in love woth schnee.
    Don't need to rush love like other novels that was so forced.
    And yes we do see shin falling in love with schnee. Albiet little by little.
    Also shin is the type who would remain loyal to marino if she was still alive.

8. LegionUnderground

Reading List:
    Link
    Ok, the info about chapter 13 is kinda nice and i'm happy that he decided like that.
    On the other hand i really feel a damm sad Backstory comming (after you mentioned Marino) :/ damm i hate stuff like that :/ Also it seems less like harem and more like romance-marriage with Schnee only then, thats fine but i'm still missing the harem part a bit :x

9. CountryMage

CountryMage [XSanguine8] not my blood...

Reading List:
    Link
    He only really wanted to go back to see his family, anyway. His promise to Marino was for everyone to stay together happily in this world. I think if he really wants to honor her wishes, he needs to embrace the harem around him, Filma already said she'd take second wife, after Schnee, and we know Tiera's magic boobs prevent berserk rages.

10. LegionUnderground

Reading List:
    Link
    At least i can have some hope for the harem development ^^ But i don't really know if i gonna continue reading, because the bast with Marino seems to be terrible sad and i'm really weak regarding stuff like that :x

11. HondaFit

HondaFit Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    "Japanese MC" and slow devel is sort of what made me drop this novel. I really enjoyed the beginning, easily as much as Mahouka but, it started to drag after the beast flood. "The New Gate" was really what started me reading Japanese and Chinese pulp fiction so, it'll always have a place in my heart. I'm primarily a Chinese reader today because of "Japanese MC" syndrome. I just can't stand a weak willed MC.

12. CountryMage

CountryMage [XSanguine8] not my blood...

Reading List:
    Link
    New Gate is the one that shows, passive MC is not the same as weak mc. It takes a strong willed MC, to look at the whiny masses, and say "No, I'm not your Hero!" It helps that he saved that "world" as soon as he had some free time.

13. LegionUnderground

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't really mind if the MC takes a bit of time and i would be totally fine if the romance just need 10 Novels to develop (i even prefer that instead of having sex the first night after they met), but you are right, "weak willed" MC in generall are frustrating. But sadly many Chinese novels have quite a lot tragedy and i really hate this xD But "my wife is a beautiful CEO" (Chinese) is definitely one of my favourites with a great and interesting MC.

14. J4n1

J4n1 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Having read the first 9 (or possibly 10, not completely sure) novels, i can't help but feel annoyed with the MC's passivity.
    But it's nowhere near as bad as most waffling MC's (mainly i wish he either made more effort in hiding himself, or stopped trying, i hate half assed plots), and the romance, while selfinsertwishfullfilment heavy as fuck, is nowhere near as cringe worthy as lot of others.
    And the plot seems to be heading towards happy end so, yay for that.

Basicly it's a competently written isekai(ish) story about OP MC with harem, worth a read when you have nothing else to do, but not really something i would go out of my way to read.
    Lack of pedobait is also fucking great (yes, there is the fox, but she/he is not really brought up that much as anything but a fox, or a kid, not someone to perv over).

15. HondaFit

HondaFit Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah, I forgot about that. Maybe that's another reason why I like it more than the average Japanese story.

You're right, Shin is better than most Japanese MC's.

16. LegionUnderground

Reading List:
    Link
    I quite like Shin, thats not the Problem ^^ As long as everyone in the Harem stays together AND IST HAPPY, it's even kinda fine for me if there is only one main romance. But i really don't like sad stuff, especial love that is separated... and that is the case here, even if it was in the past. I just don't know if i can deal with it. If it just would be possible that Marino survived somehow and get back in this new world... i mean, the whole thing is strange anyway (500 years in the future in a game world...) maybe it's still possible xD Maybe i can tell that myself and believe it so i can continue reading it xD

I like MC's that place the people they like above everything else and i have the feeling, that Shin is someone who really cares about the people around him and what you said about the backstory even confirm that ^^

17. Galison

Galison Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I wonder if he even could go back maybe hes a copy like the people in log horizon(per anime anyways didnt read the ln yet) are.

18. noriga

noriga Smile ..

Reading List:
    Link
    Im at end of this novel.

So Shin impotent.
    So tiera and schnee make Yuri love.
    Shin and shibaid make yaoi love.
    The end.

19. newbornleaf

newbornleaf Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    any update? like who did he marry? is it harem?

20. RageXe

RageXe New Member

Reading List:
    Link
    at Volume 13, it's Schnee. No official marriage yet, but they call themselves husband and wife already. Did the did as well. And unfortunately no harem, Schnee was vocal she wants a monogamous relationship. Really sad for Tiera. Hope something changes in the end. :p

Shield Loyalist and Kaylee like this.