QIDIAN ORIGINAL AUTHORS: Something all of you need to know.

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Glenda11, Sep 18, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Luneder

Luneder Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Last year the raw version of the translator contract that was still in Chinese was posted up and a few people took the time to translate it and it was similar to that. When it was posted up I took the time to look up illegal contracts and most of what I found that was illegal in most nations was in that contract.

QI has never been a good company, their original founder was arrested for bribery and copyright theft. Last year they got in trouble for renegading contract with another Chinese publisher that caused a 600 million yuan(87.4 million USD) lawsuit against them, still not sure what has happened there since then just that they are on the chopping block of the company over them.

translator contract (contractor version which should be pretty much all their translators)
    https://forum.novelupdates.com/threads/qi-contract.37773/

Founder arrested article
    https://publishingperspectives.com/2013/06/scandal-rocks-chinas-largest-online-literature-site/

The lawsuit against
    https://forum.novelupdates.com/thre...-their-contract-with-a-chinese-company.44643/

Also a list of clauses that are typically illegal or borderline illegal
    http://www.berkowitzkleinllp.com/2013/contract-clauses-good-bad-ugly/

2. alemillach

alemillach Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I traveled for free and my payment had been the complete amount. People are just biased towards them, they actually treat contracted authors very well.

ChickenBakuba likes this.
  3. Desydesu

Desydesu Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    That's horrible..
    But honestly I don't even surprised..

4. AuthorIsAwake

AuthorIsAwake New Member

Reading List:
    Link
    But have you checked your contract to see if that is clause is inside yours? It is a simple Alt+F (find feature on pdf or word) to the contract you have on your end to check. If that is the case and it is there, then the contract is too ambiguous for a reason.

The mere fact they can collect is an issue that is always present, along with holding conventions or going to events, with or without you since that could technically count as promotional event for webnovel as a whole and that includes you as a contracted author/work.

Correct?

AMissingLinguist and Pandamonic like this.
  5. Shatteredsun

Shatteredsun Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    See now I just know your full of shit

6. null

null Procrastinate Lv MAX

Reading List:
    Link
    "Party B shall take all necessary actions to maintain the image of Party A..."

Let QI show their standard contract for original authors. Or QI are too afraid to show their "slave" contract ?

7. Pietje1324

Pietje1324 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    You see, that proof thing, it's not exclusive to the accuser. If you want to say he is lying, that's your right. But if you're not going to prove anything either, then your claim is just as worthless as the other one. It just becomes a possible shouting match at that point.

With the translator shit, it went in a similar manner and eventually there was at least some proof. If Webnovel really gave you permission to talk, why are they starting at the same shaky ground of just saying "he's wrong" with no evidence?

I am not trying to say the other guy is right because of this way of dealing with it, but it does more towards me thinking there is something and doubting the entire situation is made up, than that it disproves the claim made in the original post.

8. Ai chan

Ai chan Queen of Yuri, Devourer of Traps, Thrusted Witch

Reading List:
    Link
    Ai-chan only knows one person who writes on qidian. @LynneSuzuran , is what he said true?

9. AuthorIsAwake

AuthorIsAwake New Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Noting Specific clauses on his end that counter those major points (some aren't really a big deal since they are simple enough to say yes or no to). But the more ambiguous ones would be helpful if he can put in excerpts of what his contract actually says or he could just review it.

Saying Webnovel paid for his trip is not an answer to the issue. Does his contract state it like it was mentioned in that clause? If it is, then I'm sorry. Reading that means Webnovel can collect on his earnings as expenses. It is a simple fact.

It could be treated as an advance on his end without him realizing it yet he just denies it without reviewing his own contract.

Webnovel paying for the trip is not a counter to the mention of the clause because, as stated, webnovel can and will pay. The issue is what comes after. Can they legally collect against your gross earnings?

And that is just 1 point.

10. alamptr

alamptr What should i put here

Reading List:
    Link
    @Qidian should post the contract. If the contract is as good as they said, why don't you post it to get more author to join?

11. Pietje1324

Reading List:
    Link
    I am saying that he can say all those things, but without proof it's just as worthless as the other guy.

He can disprove the claims as thoroughly as he likes, but if he has nothing to show for it, whosw to say he just isn't making things up?

12. Negias

Negias 『Average Smulenians』『Normal Passerby』『Chaos Lover』

Reading List:
    Link
    Oh geez God...really?

13. Flufflebutter

Flufflebutter Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    That is fake. The details of the contract are still shitty but not to that degree

14. little king

little king Ruler of Sloth [Neko-form]

Reading List:
    Link
    Feels so biased and exaggerated.

15. BattleNoob

BattleNoob Founder of the NooB Sect

Reading List:
    Link
    Sooner or later fucdins going to burn down

16. Wujigege

Wujigege *Christian*SIMP*Comedian

Reading List:
    Link
    Hate to break it to you but this even happens in Japan.
    Does anyone with a brain think Tang Jia San Sao writes 10 chapters per day by himself?
    Naive!:facepalm:

In the West, we call them ghostwriters, in Asia they are slaves *cough* unpaid interns/trainees.
    Welcome to reality, you naive kids living in a bubble.

17. Pietje1324

Reading List:
    Link
    Proof though? Both sides need it, seriously.

ChickenBakuba likes this.
  18. oblueknighto

oblueknighto Blue Person

Reading List:
    Link
    Then to what degree?

I've heard the Chinese version they get 70% split rather than 50%.
    I've also heard that the 'suggestions' thing is real though.

19. strifelord123

strifelord123 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I am an original author who contracted with QI. You seem to misunderstand some parts.
    The fifth clause was false. I was invited to one in Beijing this September but I did not go because I do not have a passport yet. But they were the one who will pay the fees. Alem, the author of Last Wish System went to Beijing and all his expenses were paid by QI.

If you made less than $200, the money you earned will be added to next month until it becomes more than $200.

Oh, and if you made 100k words in one month, you get $400 if you made less than $200.

AliceShiki likes this.
  20. oblueknighto

oblueknighto Blue Person

Reading List:
    Link
    Wow. You make $400/month? It's even possible to only make $200?
    That's a pity... I just gifted you a 500 spirit stones (sword thing?) but they probably won't count for anything since they're all free stones.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.