Discussion Shitty Raters

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by leo.d., Sep 18, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ddraig

Ddraig Frostfire Dragon|Retired lurker|FFF|Loved by RNG

Reading List:
    Link
    How kany times do I need to repeat myself, ratings and reviews on nu dont mean shit. They are worthless and deciding on a novel based on them is the stupidest thing to do while selecting a novel

Astaroth likes this.
  2. Galison

Galison Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I'll rate a novel 1 star without reading if there's a good reason. Last I did was some Chinese novel heavy armored truck or something. Why? Because they used prime from transformers on the cover. I think I also did it for some monster factory one as they had hulk on the cover.

bleh360 and Astaroth like this.
  3. Astaroth

Astaroth empty

Reading List:
    Link
    But it seems like you're totally fine with rating novels 5 star without reading, at least going by your public reading list.

4. N1gh7R4v3n

N1gh7R4v3n Bounty Hunter for skittles

Reading List:
    Link
    I dont mind bad reviews, as long as their justified. However, saying "its not interesting" or "slow" when they have only 10-20 chapters read...

5. norach212

norach212 Unknown being

Reading List:
    Link
    This is why i put my rating requirements lower when i was looking for a novel to read and also i always look at the rating composition. If the novel's rating is higher than 3, i will read the reviews. If the reviewer give 1 star but the review doesn't make any sense and sounds stupid, then i will disregard all the 1's rating, and vice versa

6. lnv

lnv ✪ Well-Known Hypocrite

Reading List:
    Link
    We have MMOs though, VRMMOs are not going to be any different than regular MMOs other than we might have better AI technology by the time that takes off, but gaming itself won't change. And an assasin MC who reincarnates and turns into a rabbit in heat does kind of suck and destroy the character.

To be fair, some novels are REALLY boring and you can tell 10-20 chapters in. Not even due to the plot but due to the authors writing style. Like try reading this and not falling asleep: Will the Re-Summoned Hero Live as an Ordinary Person

7. leo.d.

leo.d. Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I don’t know how the reading list works but I usually don’t rate novels. Additionally, I never rated a novel without reading it. I don’t tend to check off chapters that comes out because that’s too much work for me. Furthermore, what is your point? Attacking me on a statement I’ve never made using evidence that is in no way conclusive? If you can actually argue with my point, don’t get on your high horse attack other’s characters.

8. Astaroth

Astaroth empty

Reading List:
    Link
    Do you read raws or MTL? You've rated novels 5 star that aren't fully translated, so even if you read all the translated chapters you wouldn't have read the entire novel, or even half.
    Hmm? I've pointed out that despite how you don't like others giving low scores before reading a novel , you seemingly rate novels highly without reading them. Basically doing the same thing which you're whining about.

I haven't said that there's a problem with it, and I haven't attacked anyone in any way shape or form. You're the one who has a problem with people rating without reading, not me.

9. Galison

Galison Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I like will the re-summoned hero. But then again I prefer the slow paced stuff.

What I dislike is mindless repetition. Best example slave harem isnt bad and the stuff outside dungeons is interesting. But the author likes to stay in the dungeons not advancing the story at all and worse of all the times aren't even spent amusingly their spent describing the same fights over and over and over again. Seriously it's hard to tell the first dungeon fight apart from the ones that follow the only change is the addition of new harem members.

bleh360 likes this.
  10. Moonpearl

Moonpearl Professional Yuri Girl ❀ [Yuri Garden Creator]

Reading List:
    Link
    I agree~! I really don't know what motivates people to do crap like this. There are plenty of genres and tags I despise, and if I clicked on a novel that turned out to have one, I'd run away without a second thought... But I'd think it unethical to rate something poorly without even reading one chapter.

Although, what really confuses me is when people read novels they don't like the genres of, and then write terrible reviews for them solely based on them being that genre. I genuinely once saw someone say they were disappointed that a clearly marked BL novel went the BL route? And that was a reason for it being "bad"?

leo.d., bleh360 and CountryMage like this.
  11. noriga

noriga Smile ..

Reading List:
    Link
    My asshole itchy reading ur post.
    Rub it pls.

12. GUTB

GUTB Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    What I can't stand are raters who give 5 stars to trash. For example, rating a story with "yandere" in the title when there's no yanderes in the story a 5 only shows they didn't actually read it. Is it just astroturfing with fake ratings?

bleh360 likes this.
  13. bleh360

bleh360 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link

Exactly i feel your pain. I vet my novels thoroughly before i even search up for chapter 1 to read.
    My process on novelupdates after no problem with synopsis:
    1. Novel cover :
    no cover = not that popular [my thoughts] "why? Something wrong with the story? Poor? No friends? No fanbase?"
    2. Release Number
    Low number compared to COO = not that popular, lazy translator [my thoughts] "WTH!?!"
    3. Scroll through reviews
    Low rating and 2 sentence review = skip
    Low rating and long ass rant = skip
    Low rating with spoiler section = legit read
    [My thoughts] "hmmm later in novel rape happens and mc gets harem? User read to chapter 1000....dedicated reader... i might drop it before that so lets see whats up!"

CountryMage likes this.
  14. bleh360

bleh360 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Peraonally if they read it at all is props to them from me. I drop novels in a heartbeat at chapter 1 because of something like "translator had horrible formatting and cannot find another site to read" i wouldnt put a rating for that though, but i give people the props for having the patience to read something they didnt like because i just cannot do it.

If a person didnt actually read the novel and writes a review then that just sucks. It's common sense that if a person only read to chapter 2 or 10 that their opinion is based on that alone and wouldnt really affect a normal user like me looking through for opinions. And if it was actually good then people would vote it up anyways and so that one crappy review gets burried. Of course if it was bad then they were right and you owe them a macaron for warning you ahead of time.

This is a great analogy used horribly wrong. I always use my sense of smell and check its appearance and consistency before putting anything in my mouth!! Especially if its something new to me. I would prefer someone else to try it first and if they die i will be happy it wasnt me!!

You are a brave warrior with a tummy of steel keep taste testing the novels for poor me!!

Last edited: Sep 18, 2018
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.