Question What will happen if QI finds you translating a novel of theirs without permission?

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Axemption, Sep 18, 2018.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Turbo-

Turbo- Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    They'll probably wait for the novel to get popular then ask you to join them. If you don't join them, they'll send a DMCA takedown to you and take over the novel themselves.

2. Sin

Sin Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    !¡!DEATH!¡!

:notlikeblob:

Rumby and Axemption like this.
  3. deepon

deepon One who inevitably awakens

Reading List:
    Link
    If you have a gf, you will get ntr'ed, then your best friend will betray you, you will receive a lawsuit that charges you ton of money and hired thugs will take away everything else. Finally you will be starving on the street when someone from QI walks to you, says you shouldn't have messed with them, and then kills you.
    And you wake up, realizing you came back in time(or not), and realize you should translate novels from 17k instead. Thus begins your journey.....
    -Summary for "Reincarnation of the Strongest Translator"

4. jackateonetoo

jackateonetoo Wet Dog

Reading List:
    Link
    That's how they steal your soul

5. Robbini

Robbini Logical? Illogical? Random? Or Just Unique?

Reading List:
    Link
    Depends on who's hosting and the laws regarding the internet in your nation.

The smallest thing they would do is either take your translations for themselves and/or shut down your site.
    Legal actions might become possible if you ignore them long enough or flaunt in their faces.

Rumby and Axemption like this.
  6. bleh360

bleh360 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I am also curious. I don't pay attention to the snaz about translators, authors or the company. To be perfectly honest I don't much care as a consumer who made what, but more what's inside and how good is it? The riff raff about QI stealing and forcing people is like a LN someone should honestly just write a QI original for all the drama and disasters they cause(IRAS style!!) and call it something stupid with a long ass name(Japanese Style!).

I personally am more curious about other forms of translation, for instance what if a translator decided to translate the novel verbally? Not ever writing it down, but only translating it and reading it aloud for audio. I seriously question if audio is included in their copyright, especially for english.... I have been dying to hear one of the novels to be read well (Considering the lack of good vocabulary anyways it shouldn't be so hard).

I have watched many chinese dramas and for some reason all the wuxia/xianxia end up with the weird serene actors who have like no emotion.....even alone (granted some characters are made that way) and there are just too many of them. I watch doulou dalu in chinese wanted to kms, I don't even know why i thought it would be different!! I facepalmed so many times watching Kings Avatar due to the poor voicing. I am not saying english dub will be better....but honestly there is the Kenshin Rule, if the sub was already bad the dub has nowhere to go but up! So why not audiobooks eh?

Rumby, Greater thunder and Axemption like this.
  7. Jiggy

Jiggy I am JiggyliFAP~ the not fat anymore guy.

Reading List:
    Link
    They will find haters patronizing aggregators just so they could get back on QI.

8. artlu

artlu Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Not a lawyer and laws may differ greatly by country, state, etc. That aside, for the work and most forms of it the author holds the copyright or whomever he sold it to (publishers in most cases). Only a few derivative works get past it, mostly parodies. If you legally obtain a copy of it, you can for the most part do what you want with it, read it, set it on fire(assuming a physical copy and barring any arson laws in your area), use it as a paperweight, translate it, record yourself reading it, etc. It's the redistribution by posting to a public website that has a problem, but only if the copyright holder cares. Most authors don't care about translations because it's an audience group they wouldn't reach anyways.

Axemption likes this.
  9. Underload

Underload <I need someone to scratch my back!>

Reading List:
    Link
    Castration

10. theilikepie

theilikepie Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
  11. Idolo

Idolo Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    well if young master QI is feeling generous you will just be crippled and have all your stuff stolen.
    Otherwise you will get branded with a slave contract and used until he finds you disposable and dumps you somewhere or use you as fodder to take a hit because of what you say.

TamaSaga likes this.
  12. Luneder

Luneder Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    they will try legal threats and maybe a job offer using a slave contract, if that fails they ddos the hell out of the translators site. Before QI made a move to push their own translations they went after anyone translating their novels and ddos attacked a bunch of them. before Gravity Tails sold itself to the devil they had to go all out on anti ddos defense because they were getting hit hard. WW also suffers attacks periodically while they have their legal battle.

Rumby likes this.
  13. Fuyuneko

Fuyuneko winter cat

Reading List:
    Link
    For 100% Sweet Love: The Delinquent XXX Wife Is a Bit Sweet, they took over the novel after it became popular and didn't make any offers to existing translators.

TamaSaga likes this.
  14. Dyne

Dyne Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I’m curious about DMCA.

QI is not an american company
    If I (non american citizien) host the TL on server that is not located in America and not operated by American company, does DMCA still work?

15. Dydreamr

Dydreamr Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.