Recommendations novels in e-book?

Discussion in 'I'm Looking For...' started by grish99, Sep 22, 2018.

1. grish99

grish99 [Pelican Hater] [Hater of Face-Slapping]

Reading List:
    Link
    Hi from my adiction to novel i'm often having pain in my eyes (what to you except from hours of looking at small screen and reading smaller leters) so my parents plan to buy me e-book and i have couple questions about this
    -will this even work could i downolad chapters from lets say wordpress blog and read it in e-book or something else
    -if its work its will be appreciate if you tell me how it will work or if this will be akward or no (technicly akward if you say that reading novels is akward i will punch you)
    -whith e-book would you recomend (the price range is little akward cause curency diffrent etc 100£ more or less) looking for e-book that is sturdy and wouldnt break down at the end of the guarantee
    Thanks for answers

Last edited: Sep 22, 2018
  2. Charlessssssss

Charlessssssss Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Not sure if it will help but I saw somewhere that when your eyes hurt from that if you stare at something 20 meters away for 20 seconds every 20 minutes it will go away not sure tho no promises

3. mm38910

mm38910 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Are you talking about e-books or e-book readers.

chencking and Indiboy like this.
  4. Guyver

Guyver Bio-Booster Armor

Reading List:
    Link
    Get something like a kindle paperwhite.
    Kindle give you an e-mail address for its cloud, save the novels as a document file, E-mail it to the cloud and you can then read it on the kindle.

You can also directly transfer them to the kindle using the usb cable

Eques and grish99 like this.
  5. grish99

Reading List:
    Link
    e-book readers

6. mm38910

mm38910 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Kindle, though i have never used it. My friend has it and it is great according to him.
    On that note what is different from reading in an e-reader and reading through apps on mobile.

7. FranckOA

FranckOA Killer Klown From Outer Space

Reading List:
    Link
    I have also eyes problems so I usually read on my epub reader, it's really confortable and perfect for binge reading sessions on the go. The best way is to find epub full volumes (there are quite a few website that provide them, some with the blessings of the translators, giving them full credits and including link to the translator's website, other without, stealing translations for add profit, avoid those assholes ones unless in the condition I'll present later, globally it work just like manga agregators).

The other method is simple : use the reader mode of your browser (there is also modules able to force reader mode depending on the browser) and copy the text in a TXT document and add it to your e-book reader.
    But be carefull some translators hate those asshole agregators so much they add stuff to their website that make it really unconfortable and unpractical for people with eyes problems to read them (some others are just greedy and want you to read their adds to fill their pockets without ever thinking about giving a dime to the author of the original work, but fortunatly there aren't to many of those yet :blobpopcorn_cool:). So I had to go get some series I really enjoy in those asshole agregators as they were more confortable to read in than the original translation website, and dropped a quite a few midly interresting ones.
    You can also use a website ripper to transform automatically the chapters webpage into epubs, but that's usually more complicated.

If you want to buy an epub reader I would reccomand to think about what do you want to read on it : if you want to read mostly fan translations then avoid the kindle as it doesn't read the standard and practical epub format, so you'll need to convert all your epubs with a software like calibre and you'll some time get subpar result or issues in term of formatting or optimisation, which make you fiddle a lot to resolve it).
    But if you have money to spend and think you'll read a lot of officially published books than the kindle is more practical, think of it like a portable audio player that can't read MP3 files but have a huge store with a big catalog and ok pricing for full albums in it's proprietary format.
    (next part soon where I'll talk about a few good brands of e-book readers)

Meloman and grish99 like this.
  8. Guyver

Guyver Bio-Booster Armor

Reading List:
    Link
    The way the display on the kindle E-readers is designed is supposed to ease the strain on your eyes.

9. Shiroikaze42

Shiroikaze42 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    There are many sites that compile novel translations into e-pub files for e-readers. Some of those sites can be a bit sketchy, and you might not find the novel you're looking for, but they have helped when I'm looking to read light novels while traveling. There are also ways to turn text into e-pub files yourself, which you could look into!

grish99 likes this.
  10. Nuinui

Nuinui Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Pretty much the major ebook-readers (Kindle or the Nook) are quite sturdy, I believe. They have long lasting battery life too (since the screen is e-ink and all you do is just read...). I personally have the Kindle Voyage from Amazon, but I think that's not in stock anymore... The Kindle Paperwhite is another good option. There are other ebook-readers, like Barnes&Noble's Nook, which is waterproof. Keep in mind, the Kindle is not waterproof. I'd say go and look up comparisons to help you decide which ebook-reader you want.

If you get an ebook-reader, I insist on downloading Calibre, which is a free ebook management program. It helps you organize your books and can also convert ebook files into any type (.epub, .mobi, etc.) Trust me, it's SUPER helpful and will save you a lot of pain.

An important note: The Nook can only take .epub files, while the Kindle only reads .mobi files. If you have Calibre, you can just convert the ebooks easily so it's no big deal really.

As for downloading from wordpress, I'm not too sure how that will work. You'd have to either use an extension yourself and convert the webpages into an ebook format, or you could ask the translator/author if they have epub/mobi files.

grish99 likes this.
  11. Indiboy

Indiboy Well Known boi

Reading List:
    Link
    I laughed at op for calling ebook reader as ebook.. .

12. Guyver

Guyver Bio-Booster Armor

Reading List:
    Link

There are actually a large amount of free books available on kindle store and even more books and omnibus editions for about 99p. There is one from P S Power that has the first 7 books from one of his series for 99p

13. FranckOA

Reading List:
    Link
    For e-book readers, the kindle (if you can't find amazon's website I don't think anybody could help you anymore:blobtongue:) is a classic, quite affordable, nicely made and confortable to use but it doesn't read epub natively (as I said before it's like a audio player that isn't able to read MP3), so you'll have to convert files to read quite a lot of stuff. But the kindle shop have really a huge catalog and some books are really inexpensive during sales.
    Just a reminder tho, amazon have a total control on your library and your kindle (the little print on the user agreement is quite explicit on this), they even ereased books that people brough and were inside their kindle so just keep it in a corner of your mind...

So if you don't want to have to convert your files and want to read a lot of fantranslations there are quite a few other brands that make good stuff that is more compatible :

Tea : some of their more simple models are quite inexpensive and they highter end ones have really nice screens and can do interesting stuff like text-to-speach or are able to read audio books, and many of their model accept memory extension with microSD cards and have physical buttons (quite confortable to use and usefull if you don't want to have to clean your screen all the time), be carefull tho, some of cheapest models aren't that sturdy and have a cheap screen with a lower definition.
    Kobo : they have waterproof models (also quite usefull to protect from dust and increasing the all around length of life of the e-reader) that are quite expensive but will last a long time, many of their models are more expensive than what you find elsewhere but it's good sturdy stuff.
    Bookeen : I got one of their high end model from a sale and using it still now, averaly to highter end price, can be a little buggy or temperal but they are well made and if you like it, you can fiddle with them a lot (they use a linux based system), can support microsd memory card (except for the saga model) and have physicall buttons.

grish99 likes this.
  14. Shub-Niggurath

Shub-Niggurath Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I know this is stupid but why not try to fix the problem on your pc first ?
    Download f.lux to reduce the luminosity (if you read white page website only) then zoom in the page so the letter are bigger. If you don't want to zoom the entire page then use the font size option in your browser ( on firefox as an example ). If you still have problem then consider buying a reader.

15. grish99

Reading List:
    Link
    thanks!

16. grish99

Reading List:
    Link
    im reading on phones

17. Shub-Niggurath

Shub-Niggurath Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    There is an option for that on phone as well but I can understand why you are more interested in ebook reader, reading on phone is painful yes.

grish99 likes this.
  18. FranckOA

Reading List:
    Link
    There are apps that can allow you to read stuff in a more confortable way (it won't be as confortable and easy on your eyes than an ebook reader but they can help quite a lot if it's just a light eye fatigue issue).

grish99 likes this.
  19. FranckOA

Reading List:
    Link
    No problem, if you need help feel free to PM me.

grish99 likes this.