Discussion why the arguments and hate against harems goes against everything history tells us

Discussion in 'Novel Discussion' started by Harem_lover, Sep 22, 2018.

?

yes harem? no harem?

1. yes

40 vote(s)
    41.2%
  2. no

57 vote(s)
    58.8%
  1. Harem_lover

Harem_lover Loves Spice, and works with Spite

Reading List:
    Link
    Grasping evil,Against the gods,Battle through the heavens and every novel with more than one love interest do they make sense?(harem wise)
    This is my second thread i make with the purpose of defending the harem genre, the first one was about the Aesthetics of harems and how they contribute greatly in more than one way to the experience (if used properly) but this second one will be comparing fictional harems to irl harems through out history to see if the authors were accurate or just virgin boys writting wish fullfilment.
    ps: we arent discussing the moral side of harems but whether they worked irl similarly to how they do in xianxia novels.
    1- How do Harems work in xianxian?
    Even though this should be obvious to most of us but to those who choose not to read xianxian i'l go through this quickly, typically in xianxian novels the protagonist starts out as a guy who is the lowest in the social hierarchy, weakest in strength,influence,power and finance compared to his peers, and this is called the "trash zone" its extremely rare to find an mc that has a love interest in this stage and in most cases he is cucked if he had one, however through the power of "plot-armor" the mc rises shockingly in the hierarchy in a short period of time and then he starts to "collect" his harem member either during his rise to strength or after he gained it.
    2-How did Harems work IRL?
    Through out history and specially after the rise of agriculture and the concept of "property" the genetic pool started to get....thinner,let me explain, scientists have traced back our genes all the way back to our ancestors after humanity discovered agriculture and what they shockingly found out was, that we get our genes from approximately 20% of the males at the time, and the obvious reason was that only the males with abundant resources got to mate and pass on their genes, and this sort of pattern was always being played out from the begining of time, as it was observed that during times of monarchies,kings and pharaohs, almost every (powerful)man such as the aristocrats,nobles and wealthy merchants had about 17 wives (god dang@@), and an inkling of this pattern can still be seen in the modern world as no one would want a basement dweller with no career for a husband (sorry nuffians), but the famous and wealthy will get flocked by potential partners.
    3- Are there differences or similarities at all?
    As the popular saying goes "Art imitates Life" and this is no execption to that rule, as in booth cases the love has to be proverbially "paid" for, as there is no difference between the protagonists who work their way to the top and the talents of the real world, they all pursued the same thing which is power which gives the average person more choices than he would usually have, as the overwhelming majority of powerful male figures in history where polygamous, such as gandhi,martin luther king jr,leonides of sparta and many more, so the short answer is yes there are similarities and almost no differences. the authors have been given realistic ideas of romance if we only consider history.
    4-Why?
    This isn't a question i'm qualified to answer and honestly it isn't worth the controversy that comes with it, but its honestly something that i personally couldn't get angry over, as put yourself in the position of one of those women,wouldn't someone who can protect you and provide for you in such hostile environments (novel and irl alike) have more worth than the one that won't be able to provide either one of the two? so it is a wise choice to make if you consider human survival instincts.
    5-Any opinions?
    I would love to hear any sort of opinion on this topic and what i put forth today,specially from female nuffians,as i am curious as any other guy of what their reaction to this information will be, and please be civil.

Gitami, Pedram and Cosmic_ like this.
  2. SoulZer0

SoulZer0 Heaven Refining

Reading List:
    Link
    You're like the vegan of harem genre.

3. Harem_lover

Reading List:
    Link
    *shrugs* i actually didn't intend to make this thread until i saw some folks dissing yun che over being fickle, so you can thank them for this lol :blobsmilehappyeyes::blobsmilehappyeyes::blobsmilehappyeyes::blobsmilehappyeyes:

4. Ddraig

Ddraig Frostfire Dragon|Retired lurker|FFF|Loved by RNG

Reading List:
    Link
    Well the point is that those novels are shit in the first place, having a mc who is an asshole and worse than the villians while being potrayed righteous does not exactly help.
    Harems are great and all but that does not change the fact that ones potrayed in this fastfood novels are shit

ryui, mrttao, Mahou-nii-sama and 7 others like this.
  5. Koruya

Koruya Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Standard sense of XianXian tell us that women comes to strong, righteous and smart/shrewd heroes. But if we take a side look at all harem all together then what it is? Simply it when many women are with MC. That's is. When MC can call 10 girls his possesion, then it's a harem, if he can't, then not.

If take into consideration feelings and some other stuff, then it's not harem anymore ;)

Cosmic_ likes this.
  6. Femme Fatale

Femme Fatale | Sublime Goddess Of Chance |

Reading List:
    Link
    I say let your freak flag fly. XD

Harem_lover likes this.
  7. Guyver

Guyver Bio-Booster Armor

Reading List:
    Link
    Aaaaaaaaarrrrrghhhhh wall of text !!!:sick::sick::sick:

IAmViruz and akki like this.
  8. Shance

Shance 『Trying to evade the wall in the front』『Failing』

Reading List:
    Link
    For sure in a completely hostile enviroment, where they gain power only through their husband because women are seen as lessers to men at best, property to be abused at worst, a Harem makes complete sense.

But give women power and choice, the ones that are not starved for power or lovestruck to an absurd point will prefer to have 1 man loving and caring for them. I believe Humanity as a whole is selfish, if you think power and money is better than, or will give you more happiness than actually finding someone wothwhile to not share with whoever they want without your input, then you wil have no problem being in a harem.

9. Shub-Niggurath

Shub-Niggurath Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The problem isn't the harem, but the quality of the novel that usually use a harem as "romance". The female character have no depth in those asian novel usually, and the harem quickly become boring.

Rather than the harem being a problem, it's more of a symptom of a bad novel : Shallow character, with quantity over quality.

EDIT : my bad I tl:dr some part of the original post, that's what you get for being lazy :D

IRandomGuy, mrttao, GabeZhul and 12 others like this.
  10. Ddraig

Ddraig Frostfire Dragon|Retired lurker|FFF|Loved by RNG

Reading List:
    Link
    Harems in general are not bad, they are pretty fun. Some novels do suck at them tho (like the ones listed)

Arkantos and Cosmic_ like this.
  11. mukkaar

mukkaar Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It's fiction and not real people.

12. oliver

oliver Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Imo the hate against harem is not due to the nature of harems themself, but more the fact that a large majority of them (excuse me) sucks ass.

13. Cosmic_

Cosmic_ [Novel Addict] [Lazy Writer] [Meh Editor]

Reading List:
    Link
    I like your logical, historical, and realistic approach. I do have to say though that I enjoy harem as I like wishfulliment, however, I can see it’s flaws especially in aspects of writing and storytelling.

Harem can be a good addition if done right. The problem with harem is how much of a crutch it can be. It can result in lacking characters, over reliance on harem collection to move plots, lustful and jackass MCs, throwaway girls, dumb drama, etc.

GabeZhul, King0Mik and Harem_lover like this.
  14. PoopyDoopy

PoopyDoopy Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I personally don't mind harem but I have really deep grudges with forced romances and plain love interests, we humans are egoist and possesive by nature, harems in RL are based on profits and money but in novels its foundations are a nonsensical love and acceptance that is simply bullshit. Like who the fck can have a real relationship with a partner that spreads his semen left and right?

15. Delirious

Delirious [Code of conduct]

Reading List:
    Link
    As someone who has nothing against harems, there are instances where it just gets tedious and is no longer a guy surrounded by awesome women that were it not for polygamy, he would need to "choose" one because of societies sense of managomy and instead it's just a dude collecting women. Like Yun Che in ATG. He's a self-righteous fake that is just horney 24/7 and pretends that all double digits of his women matter as much as the next one.

King0Mik, Harem_lover and Cosmic_ like this.
  16. Elawn

Elawn 『Binge Reader』

Reading List:
    Link
    I personally don't mind the harem genre, I quite enjoying enjoying if it's well written actually. But that's it. Like I wouldn't want my boyfriend to date other girls or anything, though I won't mind the people who have that kind of mindset.

It all comes down to tolerance in the end.

Cosmic_ likes this.
  17. Robbini

Robbini Logical? Illogical? Random? Or Just Unique?

Reading List:
    Link
    Jealousy & Envy, Despise & Hatred tend to be more common reasons to hate harem for many i believe.

Emmyy likes this.
  18. Harem_lover

Reading List:
    Link
    like i said before folks we arent discussing the moral side of the argument but whether they work or not,as even in modern day psychologists believe that if monogamy wasn't enforce by law then.....mayhem will follow

19. SugarImmortal

SugarImmortal Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    People don't just dislike him for being fickle tho

They dislike him because he's a man with superpowers who also happens to be a selfish, irrationally emotional basketcase.

Besides, even the ones who do complain about his fickle nature are hardly wrong, right? Regardless of whether harem is good or bad, you have to admit the guy could fall for pretty much anyone. If he lived in modern times he'd be a "nice guy" for sure.

mrttao likes this.
  20. Fluffy Jellyfish

Fluffy Jellyfish 『Number 1 Lolicon under Heaven』

Reading List:
    Link
    Based on my latest thread OMEGA LUL:blobwhistle::blobwhistle:

Harem_lover likes this.